• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Marihuana's Insidiousness

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like a poor excuse to me. At some point you have own up to your responsibilities and stop blaming society for all your problems.

It is a genuinely terrible excuse. I'm agreed on that. It's also a terrible excuse when people (usually teens, who should definitely stay away) get involved with pot because they want to identify with a certain subculture.

How many people see peanuts as benign? Yet peanuts kill more people every year than pot.

Go troll a peanut forum.

Yawn. I'm talking about "social and psychiatric" harm, you're talking about mortality. Straw man.

Your answer is ambiguous. Is Cheech and Chong really the best defense you have? You sound jealous to me.

I'm just pointing out at how pot is portrayed as benign or as a laughing matter in popular culture and it's really not, it is linked to some fairly serious social and psychiatric problems, in a minority, but still, treating it as benign or, God forbid, the incredibly obnoxious cliché of "plant, not drug" really does a remarkable disservice to everyone involved.

Jealous of what?

It is a genuinely terrible excuse. I'm agreed on that. It's also a terrible excuse when people (usually teens, who should definitely stay away) get involved with pot because they want to identify with a certain subculture.
If you agree then why are posting this in Cannabis Discussion when you readily agree that this issue is NOT specific to cannabis; it happens with all drugs equally.

Yawn. I'm talking about "social and psychiatric" harm, you're talking about mortality. Straw man.
I'm sorry that pointing out how deadly pot isnT is boring to you, however I find it relevant to the discussion. Especially since you are so hung up on the kids doing heroin and all (or so you claim--why then aren't you discussing this issue in OD?)

I'm just pointing out at how pot is portrayed as benign or as a laughing matter in popular culture and it's really not, it is linked to some fairly serious social and psychiatric problems, in a minority, but still, treating it as benign or, God forbid, the incredibly obnoxious cliché of "plant, not drug" really does a remarkable disservice to everyone involved.
Again, who the fuck are you talking about? Cheech and Chong? My god you are sensitive.

Jealous of what?
That's something only you may answer.

ITT: potheads rationalizing being potheads, what a surprise, and exactly the sort of thing the OP and I are on about

Doesn't seem like there is a productive discussion to be had here

I'm out

ITT: potheads rationalizing being potheads, what a surprise, and exactly the sort of thing the OP and I are on about

I'm out
Don't forget to drop into OD and tell them it's Layne Staley's fault they are on dope.

this duality has been the topic of much balanced discussion in CD, so I don't think anyone is denying that the leaf has a dark side, but the way you are stating your opinion it comes off as an attack and that tends to put people on the defensive, especially when you're addressing people who have had quantifiable quality-of-life improvements through herb use.

keep in mind nobody here has mentioned Cheech and Chong in, like, forever. I've even seen many CD regulars state they prefer BL to other 420 forums specifically because we're not just layabouts bent on glorifying stoner culture. So, really, you're preaching to the choir because we're all about socially-responsible herb use, but you seem more intent on slandering us as "potheads rationalizing being potheads" just to vent your own anger.

let's be clear, nobody here has any reason to justify their personal use to you, but some have been good enough to do so anyway, so the least you can do is show a bit of respect for them instead of acting like the thick-headed jerk you're accusing us of being.

Hey thujone quick put your hand up I'm giving you a virtual high 5!

I think that rationalizing any type of drug is terrible. It just gives you an easy reason to go on using despite negative results. I wish I could smoke pot, but it gives me panic attacks, however it really helps with other things my OCD does to me, so I just won't use"marihuana" to help in that aspect. That is rational thinking.

I slow down and stop thinking or horrible life altering scenarios most of the time when I smoke pot...even though I have to take a couple extra xanax because I'm sitting in my room terrified. I can live with more xanax. Thats rationalizing

I know they are poor examples, but I think most people understand the difference between rationalizing and using reason to decide whether to use or not.

The original article does not give human intellect enough credit.

OP, if you're not smoking weed then you've already solved the problem. Whether someone else choose's to smoke weed will have no impact on you. Trust me, you won't get attacked by a roving band of rabid potheads or killed by a stoned driver. Just say no and all of your issues are solved.

One thing stood out to me in this whole fuckfest of a post, the thing about weed dulling you and making you think you have better qualities/creativity etc. I can't possibly see how that can be stated as fact confidently.

I personally have minor anxiety at times and a negative self image. When I smoke certain strains of weed it's exactly the opposite. I feel good about myself and my entire thought process changes to a more positive and accepting one. In my college courses I would even go so far as to say it facilitates my learning because it actually seems more interesting when I'm high. It's when I'm sober that I don't have the motivation, creativity, or positive stress-free attitude. If I could smoke a plant every now and then and make life a little better with almost no consequence to my well-being, why wouldn't I?

Like everyone else has said, there's a multitude of experiences. There is no one commonality. Sometimes even with the same person. For like the first year that I started smoking socially, I would always get panicked and just overrall not have a positive experience. Once I took a long break and decided to do it again by myself, I had a completely different experience. It really is a double-edged sword, but from what I've seen most people get the positive side. Don't get me wrong, I know some people who absolutely hate it and get nothing but negative effects. IME they're usually the minority though.

Last edited:
Hey man you're cool in my book just for writing it out as marihuana. When I'm blazed as hell I always put extra emphasis on the h sound and kind of roll it hard like an idiot when I say it out loud.

"Let's ingest some of that illegal mariHHHHHHHuana!!!!"

OP, if you're not smoking weed then you've already solved the problem. Whether someone else choose's to smoke weed will have no impact on you. Trust me, you won't get attacked by a roving band of rabid potheads or killed by a stoned driver. Just say no and all of your issues are solved.

I do use marihuana occasionally. In general, marihuana addicts are the most vile and most degenerate drug addicts that exist. Addicts perpetuate the belief that marihuana is harmless, deny that marihuana is addictive at all, that it is good for you to inhale the smoke of combusted plant material multiple times a day and that marihuana addiction causes no social or mental issues including cognitive impairment. Put simply, marihuana addicts fail to see the damage the drug is doing. Heroin, cocaine, meth, alcohol and benzo addicts all know that what they are doing is not healthy. But a marihuana addict will smoke every day because it's obviously good for them and helps them.

One thing stood out to me in this whole fuckfest of a post, the thing about weed dulling you and making you think you have better qualities/creativity etc. I can't possibly see how that can be stated as fact confidently.

I personally have minor anxiety at times and a negative self image. When I smoke certain strains of weed it's exactly the opposite. I feel good about myself and my entire thought process changes to a more positive and accepting one. In my college courses I would even go so far as to say it facilitates my learning because it actually seems more interesting when I'm high. It's when I'm sober that I don't have the motivation, creativity, or positive stress-free attitude. If I could smoke a plant every now and then and make life a little better with almost no consequence to my well-being, why wouldn't I?

Like everyone else has said, there's a multitude of experiences. There is no one commonality. Sometimes even with the same person. For like the first year that I started smoking socially, I would always get panicked and just overrall not have a positive experience. Once I took a long break and decided to do it again by myself, I had a completely different experience. It really is a double-edged sword, but from what I've seen most people get the positive side. Don't get me wrong, I know some people who absolutely hate it and get nothing but negative effects. IME they're usually the minority though.

If you are diagnosed with anxiety or an actual disorder and marihuana helps you with that, then you really are beyond the scope of this post. This post is dedicated to people who just want to get doped up, have no medical reason to do it, do it on a daily basis and are addicted. People who use marihuana for a legitimate medical reason, understand the risks and side effects and use it to treat the condition are not doing anything unhealthy and they are not addicted. They may be dependent in a similar way to someone who uses opiates to treat chronic pain, someone who uses stimulants for ADHD or someone who uses depressants for severe anxiety, but they are not addicted.

Last edited:
^ So all I have to do to stop my addiction to pot is renew my Medical Marijuana card?

^ If you are in California or a state with similar medpot laws, you know full well that medical marijuana cards are preposterously easy to get and the whole thing is a farcical backdoor for legalization.

Put simply, marihuana addicts fail to see the damage the drug is doing. Heroin, cocaine, meth, alcohol and benzo addicts all know that what they are doing is not healthy. But a marihuana addict will smoke every day because it's obviously good for them and helps them.

Yeah, irrespective of relative harms, due to the social status of marijuana, addicts see their addiction as a lifestyle choice, rather than what it actually is. Not saying that ever user is an addict.

I'm out
And yet you keep coming back.

Some might call that an addiction

I do use marihuana occasionally. In general, marihuana addicts are the most vile and most degenerate drug addicts that exist.
You told me you only post facts,is this what you mean by that. Sounds much like the opinion of some asshole that has taken to many designer drugs to me.

If someone(meaning adult) wants to get high why do they need to have a medical reason to do so. The way I see it as long as they cause no harm and all they want to do is feel good,fuck it let em be.Who am I to judge? Don't hear about to many people commiting violent crimes to get there fix of smoke.How many of those other drugs that you mentioned do people rob,menace,or kill in order to get there fix? Oh,but I forgot all is forgiven because they admit they have a problem! Are you a priest ,because this isn't a confessional?

I was addicted to heroin and hung out with junkies and yeah we might have admitted we had a problem but because of that simple difference we were better?Fuck no,we robbed and hurt people to get our fix I don't see how you can compare the two. That to me is like saying if one guy kills another but he admits it he's better then the guy that stole ten bucks but won't fess up .Fucking ridiculous!

Last edited:
Man, some heat in this thread. I can understand where nexus and SKL are coming from though. Nexus is a bit on the crazy side so I take everything that she says with a grain of salt.

For me, I am a poly drug addict. I have a chemical solution for everything. The works. I have minimized my use to alcohol and marijuana and a rare trip. My first two loves. I can limit my MJ use to 2-3 grams a week and usually use only once a day and can take breaks for a while too. It is the most manageable addiction I have ever had. I don't crave it, I don't wake and bake or any of that. It helps me with my mental health issues as well, as well as any psych drug IME. It helps calm my mania and all that and chills me out a bit. If I could actually pick my strain like I have been able to before, than it would be even better medicine, with a good CBD ratio and all. The serious potheads aren't doing much harm, but possibly being counter-productive. Once a day, that's the least of my concerns atm. But being clean is best, just haven't ever been able to do that unless forced.

Lots of worse stuff out there to focus on, marihuana addiction is real, but not quite as bad as you make it. I would be more concerned with heavy psychedelic use as that has better chance of fucking up your brain long term.

Status
Not open for further replies.