• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

MAOIs: Opening a new spectre of psychoactives?

pardon me as I side step to ask a somewhat related question.

t7 is somewhat rumored to be an maoi, would combining it with a trypt be bad news?

I couldn't find anything on the topic poking around the site. If the answer's hiding out there... shame, shame on me. :\

as far as i know, nobody has confirmed or disproven t7's maoi activity.

combining an maoi with a trypt is usually not bad news (see ayahuasca) and does not end in serotonin syndrome.

combining an maoi with a phen is usually very bad news and can end in death.

thus it is probable that t7 has some competitive maoi activity, as there is one report of death on 2c-t-7 alone, and two reports of death when combined with mdma.

um, no. I was saying EXACTLY what solistus was saying.

it is theoretically possible (and proven) than MAOI will orally activate drugs that are usually inactive orally (DMT, 5-MeO-DMT). But these drugs are already active when insufflated, injected, or vaporized so the MAOI is only protecting the drug from metabolism in the gut.

MAO enzyme is specifically focused on destroying monoamine neurotransmitters so they do not build up and cause a toxic reaction.

if a drug is not metabolized by MAO, then the drug will not see any change when combined with an MAOI. it's that simple.

since MAO is present mainly in the gut to protect us from exogenous neurotansmitters (tyramine etc), it stands to reason that drugs that are not active via IV/insufflation will not suddenly become active when combined with an MAOI.

solistus: i would bet good money on 4-aco-DMT being wildly potentiated by oral MAOI. from my own experiences with syrian rue + psilocybe shrooms, the trip is qualitatively much more intense than standard shrooms, and quantitatively requires about 1/3 to 1/2 the usual shroom material. if you combine your usual dose of 4-sub-T with an oral MAOI, be prepared for a 4-6 hour fully immersive time-travel experience. the drop back to baseline is very abrupt as well, one minute you are in space and the next you are staring at the wall wondering how you managed to reassemble your brain in one piece.

I know all this, I just wanted to be smart correcting you. Big deal.

It seems I misread your first posts though. Sorry for that.

Well, maybe someone else read that information :)

no harm done :)

my words were forceful and "absolute" only because MAOIs are one place where it is best left to the experts to discover "good combos"... the sheer daily influx of newcomers to this forum could potentially make the OP's question into a harmful one.

although I must say I have personally ingested medium cheddar cheese while under the influence of syrian rue with no ill effect, all it takes is one death to put everything in perspective.

continuing the thread, i too would like to see more work done on the "essential amphetamines" discussed by Shulgin. these plant oils are directly related to amphetamines by the addition of ammonia :)NH3) to the parent compound. the human liver is filled with enzymes that add ammonia to various compounds, and theoretically one could ingest some essential oil (eg safrole) and trip balls off the amphetamine counterpart (eg MDA). perhaps the combination of an MAOI is necessary to protect the newly created amphetamine from degradation before it gets to the brain. but here we may run into problems, as the effects of many of these amphetamines is a feel-good monoamine release, which can be deadly when your MAO is inhibited.

then again, nutmeg poisoning does not sound nearly as fun as MMDA intoxication, so tread lightly in these theoretical waters.