• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Treatment Mania and brain damage - also commonality of ppl not able to see they are manic

Juicewrldfan

Bluelighter
I keep hearing mania causes brain damage on Reddit. How true is that? I didn’t find any credible papers but I don’t interpret them the best anyhow.

Also, seems to be a common theme that ppl with bipolar disorder don’t think they have it because the illness prevents us from seeing it until we learn how to see it?

It’s hard to put my finger on🤣
U got a touch of something though
Haha 😂 yeah…some things (plural) more like it.

Bipolar disorder
Cptsd
Supposed adhd but I don’t buy that now that I know I have bipolar disorder some symptoms I think overlap and were actually bipolar.

Substance use disorder
OCD

lol and I’m always in leadership positions at work lol. The craziest man in the room.

It’s hard to put my finger on🤣
U got a touch of something though
Lol and also it’s pretty bad when a person is on bluelight and blue lighters are concerned about your mental health treatment lol. I’d imagine most in here have something.

Lol and also it’s pretty bad when a person is on bluelight and blue lighters are concerned about your mental health treatment lol. I’d imagine most in here have something.
Ye that’s true mate. I suffer bad anxiety and think that probably contributed towards my drug use.
I think it’s good u ask lots of questions and try to help urself. My only concern is there’s some idiots on blue light and when it comes to serious questions about mental health or specific medications I wouldn’t take advice from some random junkie on here.

Ye that’s true mate. I suffer bad anxiety and think that probably contributed towards my drug use.
I think it’s good u ask lots of questions and try to help urself. My only concern is there’s some idiots on blue light and when it comes to serious questions about mental health or specific medications I wouldn’t take advice from some random junkie on here.
lol - you have a solid point. I don’t take any advice as gospel. I question EVERYTHING and measure it against logic and what I do know to see if it adds up and there are some I trust more than others obviously lol.

Yeah taking serious life advice from a strait junkie is kinda bad but and this is a big BUT there are some pretty intelligent junkies that know a lot and are just not good at implementing it. Some really interesting pharmacology stuff I will say.

Edit: I used to think drugs were this panacea- the silver bullet. If I ever find the perfect drug it will fix me!!! No. What I know now is there is no easy way no shortcut I have to put in the work but also I realized that drugs were a problem not beneficial thing. They were definitely destroying my mental and physical health. I’m done except minor weed use. 2-3 times a week and only at night.

So I guess what I’m saying is understand how your anxiety is worse lined by drugs. Ime drugs tend to cause the opposite effect after they aren’t active when we are trying to reach homeostasis

hyper mania drains away at your psyche, affecting mood, rationale, turning into erratic behaviour, and when you get really bad one starts seeing and believing shit that isnt real and everyone out to get you, Initiallly people start by feeling unassailable, they love it, but can develop into mad, hostile behaviour. My brother is a cop and he says the nut jobs he has to deal who all live in a desperate way all say the same thing ...."but I love my hypermania".

hyper mania drains away at your psyche, affecting mood, rationale, turning into erratic behaviour, and when you get really bad one starts seeing and believing shit that isnt real and everyone out to get you, Initiallly people start by feeling unassailable, they love it, but can develop into mad, hostile behaviour. My brother is a cop and he says the nut jobs he has to deal who all live in a desperate way all say the same thing ...."but I love my hypermania".
Kinda insulting a little man…not a nut job. I have a disorder but I never hurt anyone that didn’t physically threaten me or someone that couldn’t defend themselves.

Sure I get thoughts which is why i agreed to start meds and I can see it getting worse and moving into the violence territory if I leave my mania unchecked untreated.

Really not cool of your brother to call us nut jobs…if he feels that way then maybe he shouldnt be a cop man. Not cool at all

Also, seems to be a common theme that ppl with bipolar disorder don’t think they have it because the illness prevents us from seeing it until we learn how to see it?
I suspect that many people are misdiagnosed and don't have bipolar disorder. I have read many cases where people are given diagnosis by very fragile argumentation. Alternatively, it could be said that people with bipolar disorder might not always have the same condition. I don't exactly trust psychiatrists. One study I read recently had conclusion that psychiatry is not that scientific and reliable branch.

I am convinced I've had few clinical manic/hypomanic episodes, I totally believe they happen to people. I don't know why they have since ceased. Everything since could be counted as normal changes without bipolar disorder (but not as normal changes without any condition).

I suspect that many people are misdiagnosed and don't have bipolar disorder.

I believe this too. Too down? Take this to get happy. Too happy? Take this to calm down.

I wish I had paid as good attention to my moods and emotions as I do now. Try to pinpoint the cause. And instead of trying to push through, trying to find healthy alternatives. Situations that would suit my specific emotional make up.

To answer the original question, I don't know exactly what damage it could cause. All I know is that it can get worse untreated (from experience), and I've read that brain injuries can assist in the disorders initial development.

Regarding awareness, I think that goes back to my second paragraph about how the illness varies, and then peoples awareness varies. I can not justify 4 hours of sleep a week. It was very hard to justify. And my symptoms fit the bill. So personally, no that lack of awareness did not apply

I believe this too. Too down? Take this to get happy. Too happy? Take this to calm down.

I wish I had paid as good attention to my moods and emotions as I do now. Try to pinpoint the cause. And instead of trying to push through, trying to find healthy alternatives. Situations that would suit my specific emotional make up.

To answer the original question, I don't know exactly what damage it could cause. All I know is that it can get worse untreated (from experience), and I've read that brain injuries can assist in the disorders initial development.

Regarding awareness, I think that goes back to my second paragraph about how the illness varies, and then peoples awareness varies. I can not justify 4 hours of sleep a week. It was very hard to justify. And my symptoms fit the bill. So personally, no that lack of awareness did not apply
I was unaware as you all know for years or rather I knew it subconsciously but refused to accept it due to trauma response my therapist says.

And it’s true. I thought I was misdiagnosed until I tried meds and see a little differently now and realize how I was getting highly irritable and didn’t know it looking back.
And how energetic and driven i was with grand ideas. I didn’t know it was grandiosity as my ideas were like starting a non profit for bullied and at risk kids to learn jujitsu and get mentorship. Not too far out there but I had multiple plans like these going at the same time.

I thought I was misdiagnosed and yes I distrust psychiatrists because I feel like they play guess and check but some things like delusional disorders need meds.

My wife hasn’t had psychosis since starting meds.

I do see psychiatry as alchemy is to chemistry psychiatry is to medicine

If it makes you feel better, my very first "hypomanic" episode, I didn't know what was going on. Awareness wasn't instant. But look at us now, talking about it, clearly in time one gains awareness.

I have heard of others who get on meds and stabilize for a while, then think they're okay, only to stop a mood stabilizer and go manic.

So, I try to be as reasonable about my emotions as possible without attributing them to something I can't control until it's very clear that I can't control it.

Yeah, you really made impression you know very well what is going on with you. I don't question that.

Making this statement of mine about diagnosing people with no clinical issues, I am however responding to this common theme you came up with. While not sweeping under the rug the fact that manic people often just don't have time to wonder if their behaviour is reasonable/normal/common/healthy, ofc, because they have even less significant projects going on all the time.

Last edited:
Yeah, you really made impression you know very well what is going on with you. I don't question that.

Making this statement of mine about diagnosing people with no clinical issues, I am however responding to this common theme you came up with. While not sweeping under the rug the fact that manic people often just don't have time to wonder if their behaviour is reasonable/normal/common/healthy, ofc, because they have even less significant projects going on all the time.
Less significant? Idk when I was manic I was and still want to trying to set up a non profit school program for at risk and bullied kids where they get free jujitsu training and maybe bring in some therapists for free of charge. So I wouldnt say insignificant.

We have time just like everyone else. I wonder a lot man.

I just watched Andrew Huberman episode on bipolar disorder and he answered the question actually about being able to see you have it. He said that there is a biological reason. That that part of the brain in a bipolar person atrophy’s over time and so interoception is low very low. So that’s why many don’t know until someone says something that brings it to light.

It's also, at least in my experience, a slow but steady progression.

I could not with any great accuracy tell you when my bipolar symptoms started. For all I know I had it my whole life. I was an angsty kid. My parents style of love and punishment was very different. Night and day.

My example of extreme lack of sleep was just that - extreme. And that's why I got medicated. Actually, several years after.

I thankful had the insight (years later) to self admit during my mixed-manic episode. It was probably my 3rd or 5th cycle of symptoms, that it took for me to seek help.

It didn't have anything to do with projects. Moreso just wanting to kill myself. But not like I got cops to raid me on earlier for that. Mixed -mania for me was a bit more complex. A horrible feeling. That I needed opinions on. I needed the help and thankful that someone listened.

It's also, at least in my experience, a slow but steady progression.

I could not with any great accuracy tell you when my bipolar symptoms started. For all I know I had it my whole life. I was an angsty kid. My parents style of love and punishment was very different. Night and day.

My example of extreme lack of sleep was just that - extreme. And that's why I got medicated. Actually, several years after.

I thankful had the insight (years later) to self admit during my mixed-manic episode. It was probably my 3rd or 5th cycle of symptoms, that it took for me to seek help.

It didn't have anything to do with projects. Moreso just wanting to kill myself. But not like I got cops to raid me on earlier for that. Mixed -mania for me was a bit more complex. A horrible feeling. That I needed opinions on. I needed the help and thankful that someone listened.
I think I am sliding into a mixed state myself…not so manic and with a touch of deep depression at times so idk I might maybe overthinking it.

I would go to the hospital just to get my meds straight faster but bills must be paid ya know? Ppl depending on me. Just going to have to tough it out.

I would really like to get stabilized though. Just can’t logistically. So I’m not saying anything bad about it just I can’t do it. I’m not in danger to my knowledge.

You're doing the right thing by keeping an eye on it. Don't let it perpetuate you further, but also be realistic when it starts to interfere too much

You're doing the right thing by keeping an eye on it. Don't let it perpetuate you further, but also be realistic when it starts to interfere too much
What’s interesting is maybe that’s why I like psilocybin and only use it 2-3 times a year well used to. It greatly increases interoception. And thanks man.

I think me and you are trying to do similiar things. Quit drugs and work on exiling and staying mentally healthy. I realize now I don’t need drugs. In fact, they make it worse not better like I used to think.