• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Magic Mushrooms Grew In Man's Blood After He Injected Them As A Tea

“INTRODUCTION

Psychoactive fungi, colloquially known as “magic mushrooms,” are known for their hallucinogenic properties mediated by psilocybin, atryptamine-like alkaloid metabolized to the active constituent psilocin, a 5-HT2A receptor agonist.1While usually taken orally, there are anecdotal reports on the internet of the recreational injection of psilocybin, though the professional literature on this practice is scant.2,3Here, we describe a case of a 30-year-old man who injected psilocybin intravenously resulting in an extended stay in the intensive care unit (ICU) due multiple-system organ failure.

Laboratory studies revealed thrombocytopenia, hyponatremia, hyperkalemia, hypochloremia, hypocalcemia, acute renal insufficiency, and acute liver injury. Cardiac workup revealed elevated cardiac enzymes and his electrocardiogram was remarkable for sinus tachycardia and early repolarization. Mr. X was then transferred tothe ICU for evidence of multi-organ failure and he was started on intravenous fluids, multiple vasopressors, broad spectrum antibiotics, and anti-fungal medications. His hospital course was further complicated by septic shock and acute respiratory failure requiring intubation on hospital day two and disseminated intravascular coagulation requiring plasmapheresis. Cultures confirmed bacteremia (ultimately cultured as Brevibacillus) and fungemia (ultimately cultured asPsilocybe cubensis – i.e. the species of mushroom he had injected was now growing in his blood). He was treated for a total of 22 days in the hospital with eight of them in the ICU. At the time of writing, he is currently still being treated with a long-term regimen of daptomycin, meropenem, and voriconazole.”

That’s an excerpt of the medical report.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm no chemist nor biologist, I'm just some guy, but I would have thought that there would be no viable spores left after being submerged in boiling water.

I wouldn't have guessed all manner of other negative outcomes other than actual fungal growth resulting from injection of flippin tea.

What's wrong with drinking the stuff? Tastes great round here!
[/QUOreproduction TE]

Spores are incredibly tough. They have evolved as a safe guard ensuring reproduction and are often astonishingly resilient to even severe adverse conditions.

You have to boil potentially unsafe water for five minutes to generally make it safe to drink from common bacteria.

Last edited:
“INTRODUCTION

Psychoactive fungi, colloquially known as “magic mushrooms,” are known for their hallucinogenic properties mediated by psilocybin, atryptamine-like alkaloid metabolized to the active constituent psilocin, a 5-HT2A receptor agonist.1While usually taken orally, there are anecdotal reports on the internet of the recreational injection of psilocybin, though the professional literature on this practice is scant.2,3Here, we describe a case of a 30-year-old man who injected psilocybin intravenously resulting in an extended stay in the intensive care unit (ICU) due multiple-system organ failure.

Laboratory studies revealed thrombocytopenia, hyponatremia, hyperkalemia, hypochloremia, hypocalcemia, acute renal insufficiency, and acute liver injury. Cardiac workup revealed elevated cardiac enzymes and his electrocardiogram was remarkable for sinus tachycardia and early repolarization. Mr. X was then transferred tothe ICU for evidence of multi-organ failure and he was started on intravenous fluids, multiple vasopressors, broad spectrum antibiotics, and anti-fungal medications. His hospital course was further complicated by septic shock and acute respiratory failure requiring intubation on hospital day two and disseminated intravascular coagulation requiring plasmapheresis. Cultures confirmed bacteremia (ultimately cultured as Brevibacillus) and fungemia (ultimately cultured asPsilocybe cubensis – i.e. the species of mushroom he had injected was now growing in his blood). He was treated for a total of 22 days in the hospital with eight of them in the ICU. At the time of writing, he is currently still being treated with a long-term regimen of daptomycin, meropenem, and voriconazole.”

Ok so he boiled it.

And he deteriorated over several days.

It doesn't really explain exactly what happened, though.

I'm surmising some rapidly growing fungal infection.

Ok so he boiled it.

And he deteriorated over several days.

It doesn't really explain exactly what happened, though.

I'm surmising some rapidly growing fungal infection.
He says he boiled it but I doubt he did it sufficiently.

I would imagine he’s got some immune issues also because for such serious sepsis to occur there must be something underlying.

Poor guy though, he must have been pretty desperate to do that. His bipolar disorder seems to be poorly managed with little support from his family that I can see.

He says he boiled it but I doubt he did it sufficiently.

I would imagine he’s got some immune issues also because for such serious sepsis to occur there must be something underlying.

Poor guy though, he must have been pretty desperate to do that. His bipolar disorder seems to be poorly managed with little support from his family that I can see.
nevermind it does explain

"cultures confirmed bacteremia (ultimately cultured as Brevibacillus) and fungemia (ultimately cultured asPsilocybe cubensis"

so it sounds like his mushrooms also had a bacteria in it (common, I know, I grew them), and both infected his blood. Yikes

Kinda stupid thing to do. Like injecting raw hot dog water into yourself lol

Spores are incredibly tough. They have evolved as a safe guard ensuring reproduction and are often astonishingly resilient to even severe adverse conditions.

You have to boil potentially unsafe water for five minutes to generally make it safe to drink from common bacteria.

Yeah, I guess I did know all this.

I'll be ok. XD

I feel bad for the poor dude...to be that desperate for treatment. I'm assuming he tried just dosing with tea at various strengths and that wasn't helping.

I can't access the case report. @MsDiz where did you read about his family support or lack therof and all that?

Last edited:
nevermind it does explain

"cultures confirmed bacteremia (ultimately cultured as Brevibacillus) and fungemia (ultimately cultured asPsilocybe cubensis"

so it sounds like his mushrooms also had a bacteria in it (common, I know, I grew them), and both infected his blood. Yikes

Kinda stupid thing to do. Like injecting raw hot dog water into yourself lol
Brevibacillus is a spore forming bacteria and quite resilient.
Yeah, I guess I did know all this.

I'll be ok. XD

I feel bad for the poor dude...to be that desperate for treatment. I'm assuming he tried just dosing with tea at various strengths and that wasn't helping.

I can't access the case report. @MsDiz where did you read about his family support or lack therof and all that?
i posted an excerpt of the case report that is behind the paywall. It’s on this page, starting with INTRODUCTION.

i dunno about this, as you guys are quite gullible thinking something so advanced like fungi wont take over us. Fungi is way way more advanced than people give it credit for. It was before us, probably going to outlast us. Reminds me of the game last of us with cordyceps infecting the bodies turning them into zombies, which is based on the FACT they do that, in ants other various insects;

In regards to the family, I have read close to nearly every article I could find on this. From the different accounts it just appears the don’t seem to help to much. He was definitely at a desperate state to do what he did. I felt really sorry for him tbh. I’m glad that he survived and I hope he gets proper treatment now for his biopolar disorder.

Spores really are tough and his bacterium he got infected with needs boiling to 130C.

It’s honestly an incredibly interesting case and I hope there is more info. I’ve already emailed them in regards to it.

Are we sure this is even a real story? Because it sounds fake as hell. I don't believe it. Why would the mushrooms grow inside the body? I think that this is bullshit and fake news to make people scared of a relatively safe "drug" (which it isn't even because they grow in the ground). I'm not saying this as some guy who does hallucinogens all the time or anything. I haven't tripped in a couple years, but I do have common sense. And "mushrooms grew in a guy's bloodstream" reeks of bullshit. And I do not believe this nonsensical story. Yes, injecting a literal fungus or plant will probably kill you, obviously. Loads and loads of things that do not belong in one's bloodstream. But mushrooms growing inside someone's body, yeah fucking right. It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. This is probably fake news.

Last edited:
But mushrooms growing inside someone's body, yeah fucking right. It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. This is probably fake news.

Yeah, hospital staff, some rando and his family, a scientific journal, and more, all conspired with one single "fake" story that they then fed to international media (which may also be in on it, of course) in a clearly weak attempt to discredit the use of mushrooms. Sounds legit.

Anyway, it wasn't mushrooms growing inside the guy. Mushrooms are the fruit of the fungus, he only had mycelium growing.* The headline is misleading so I guess that's your "fake news" (I fucking hate this term, but that's just me).

*If that is what it was....I'm no expert on fungi.

Would we really have been able to predict that the spores would start growing in his veins though? Im sure the advice wouldve been to NOT inject shrooms but I cant imagine we wouldve foreseen why exactly not to here...

this is such a ridiculous story though, Im almost positive its fake.

Dude. We may not have foresee that part exactly, but injecting organic matter is always a horrendously bad idea.

It's the same with those dumbshits who've tried to shoot poppy seed or poppy pod tea and wound up in hospital.

You can't shoot organic matter, it's too dangerous.

Unless you know what you're doing with chemistry you're unlikely to be able to extract only pure compounds from an organic mixture.

And if organic material is still in it you don't wanna shoot it.