• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Magic Mushrooms Grew In Man's Blood After He Injected Them As A Tea

allone

Bluelighter

Testing showed that he had growing Psilocybe cubensis in his bloodstream, the result of injecting a magic mushroom tea, he later told the doctors.

jeez christ. that shit can grow inside you. i wonder if that doesnt happen consuming it orally...

• Wow
Reactions: Ds
I love mushrooms but.....

....naaah.

A U.S. man was hospitalized with organ failure after he injected himself with a tea made from psychedelic mushrooms, which later started growing in his veins.

The unusual and dangerous episode is described in a case report published in the Journal of the Academy of Consultation-Liaison Psychiatry. The unidentified patient, 30, ultimately survived.

Doctors say the patient had tried to use the so-called “magic” mushrooms as an alternative treatment for his bipolar disorder, after skipping his usual course of medications.

Why though?!?!

The authors of the case study say it shows that more public education is needed around the drug.

They also injected a bad pun into the title of their case report, calling it “A ‘trip’ to the ICU.”

Fuck off....I'm beginning to think this story is made up. XD

jeez christ. that shit can grow inside you. i wonder if that doesnt happen consuming it orally...
It can't happen from oral consumption because of first-pass metabolism which is bypassed by injection.

Last edited by a moderator:
Utter insanity if he truly dis that. This is why places like this are so important if he would have made a thread we could have saved him from ending up in the hospital and putting his life in jeopardy like that. If it is a fake article thats some bullshit especially with all the progress being made towards Psylocybin Mushrooms becoming a legal medicine.

Utter insanity if he truly dis that. This is why places like this are so important if he would have made a thread we could have saved him from ending up in the hospital and putting his life in jeopardy like that.

For truth. The effects seem to be pretty grimy.

Utter insanity if he truly dis that. This is why places like this are so important if he would have made a thread we could have saved him from ending up in the hospital and putting his life in jeopardy like that. If it is a fake article thats some bullshit especially with all the progress being made towards Psylocybin Mushrooms becoming a legal medicine.
Would we really have been able to predict that the spores would start growing in his veins though? Im sure the advice wouldve been to NOT inject shrooms but I cant imagine we wouldve foreseen why exactly not to here...

this is such a ridiculous story though, Im almost positive its fake.

The journal the article is being published in seems pretty obscure, so who knows how legitimate this is. I think we all agree, though, that injecting mushrooms (or any other complex organic mixture) is a terrible idea!

How did they treat this?
Antibiotics and antifungals.

The journal the article is being published in seems pretty obscure, so who knows how legitimate this is. I think we all agree, though, that injecting mushrooms (or any other complex organic mixture) is a terrible idea!
I looked it up and it seems legit. He spent 22 days in hospital with some time spent in ICU.

Would we really have been able to predict that the spores would start growing in his veins though? Im sure the advice wouldve been to NOT inject shrooms but I cant imagine we wouldve foreseen why exactly not to here...

It really isn’t far fetched that fungal spores are appearing in a persons blood due to IVing mushroom tea. It’s absolutely the most idiotic thing I’ve heard of anyone doing in a long time, of course he didn’t know that.

He’s lucky he didn’t die and I’m surprised he didn’t tbh.

I agree, there's no way anyone would have predicted that. I've got a degree that focused on micro, along with being a 17 year member over at shroomery with a fair bit of experience in mycology (showing off over haha). When I first saw the story I thought bullshit, I still think that really, as I can't understand how it could be at all possible.
Point is, if this is true no one could have guessed this would be the outcome of injecting shrooms tea.

I'm no chemist nor biologist, I'm just some guy, but I would have thought that there would be no viable spores left after being submerged in boiling water.

I wouldn't have guessed all manner of other negative outcomes other than actual fungal growth resulting from injection of flippin tea.

What's wrong with drinking the stuff? Tastes great round here!

After reading a few more articles, along with what I know about microorganisms and fungi in particular, I'm calling bullshit. There's no way Psilocybe cubensis mycelium was found growing in any part of him. From what I can assume he injected a solution full of bacteria and fungal spores of various species, along with a large amount of solid organic particulate.This left untreated caused the symptoms he experienced. I can't find any of the sources used in any of the articles so who knows, but I'd bet that's what happened. Especially when you consider that anti fungals and anti biotics were the prescribed treatment.

After reading a few more articles, along with what I know about microorganisms and fungi in particular, I'm calling bullshit. There's no way Psilocybe cubensis mycelium was found growing in any part of him. From what I can assume he injected a solution full of bacteria and fungal spores of various species, along with a large amount of solid organic particulate.This left untreated caused the symptoms he experienced. I can't find any of the sources used in any of the articles so who knows, but I'd bet that's what happened. Especially when you consider that anti fungals and anti biotics were the prescribed treatment.
He had both a bacterial infection of brevibacillus and a fungal infection from Psilocybe cubensis. Which of course he had, he injected it. There weren’t little magic mushrooms growing in his veins.

And I’m really shocked that people don’t realise how organic matter like this would affect someone if it’s injected. Fungal spores are so toxic to humans when inhaled for instance. Black mould causes all sorts of issues. Especially causing lots of issues with cognition etc. So of course if someone is injecting any sort of fungus then they are asking for trouble.

This story actually just reminded me of a recent dream (last night) of me being in a magical forest with giant split gill mushrooms above me hanging from the trees.

What people don’t often know is that the split Gill mushroom can inhabit humans as well, with one lady actually dying from it in AUS. One girl who had this fungal infection actually had the mushrooms growing out of the roof of her mouth.

I could very well see the potential for other mushrooms to make home in the human body. The mycelium can spread, not little baby mushrooms..

-GC

He had both a bacterial infection of brevibacillus and a fungal infection from Psilocybe cubensis. Which of course he had, he injected it. There weren’t little magic mushrooms growing in his veins.

And I’m really shocked that people don’t realise how organic matter like this would affect someone if it’s injected. Fungal spores are so toxic to humans when inhaled for instance. Black mould causes all sorts of issues. Especially causing lots of issues with cognition etc. So of course if someone is injecting any sort of fungus then they are asking for trouble.
Lol I know he didn't have actual mushrooms growing in him, but a fungal infection implies that the spores have germinated and infected part of him. Cubensis are coprophilous mushrooms, and I don't think that quality would allow for growth on living human tissue.
Samples are easily contaminated. Perhaps when analysing the infected tissue the were getting trace readings for psilocin from his blood or another source.
Yes, certain fungal spores are extremely irritating and harmful, but other less harmful species are everywhere and likely injected all the time with illicit drugs. Thats why its not safe to assume that just because he injected cubensis spores the infection is from cubensis growth. Those mushrooms were likely covered in bacteria and a whole load of different fungi spores. There are some common ones that are far more likely to cause a fungal blood infection that cubensis. I'm just saying I think some people jumped to some conclusions here.

Lol I know he didn't have actual mushrooms growing in him, but a fungal infection implies that the spores have germinated and infected part of him. Cubensis are coprophilous mushrooms, and I don't think that quality would allow for growth on living human tissue.
Samples are easily contaminated. Perhaps when analysing the infected tissue the were getting trace readings for psilocin from his blood or another source.
Yes, certain fungal spores are extremely irritating and harmful, but other less harmful species are everywhere and likely injected all the time with illicit drugs. Thats why its not safe to assume that just because he injected cubensis spores the infection is from cubensis growth. Those mushrooms were likely covered in bacteria and a whole load of different fungi spores. There are some common ones that are far more likely to cause a fungal blood infection that cubensis. I'm just saying I think some people jumped to some conclusions here.
His blood was tested, that is the official medical report. Why would they lie? It might be hard to believe that this species of fungus would not cause such a reaction but it has happened as is evident by this guy very nearly dying. The fungal infection was in the bloodstream primarily and spread from there. His liver and kidneys were shutting down. His lungs were filling with fluid, he was put on a ventilator.

this is insane, how does this even happen? I have so many questions.

Did he use dried or fresh mushrooms? How did mycelium survive boiling into tea? How did it survive in vivo?!!? How much did he inject!?!?

I'm guessing your body has no defense against mycelium growth when it bypasses your organs?

The article doesn't state the time line but it sounds like he deteriorated very quickly. Why were his organs shutting down?

If he died would his decomposing body turn into a shroom patch?

What if you ate said shrooms spawning from his body? Spiritual trip?

This is like a drug horror story.