• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Macro Photography

Some info just in case you get one.

I tend to use the Raynox on manual focus. I simply rock back and forth until I find the required focal point and then take the shot. This is because of the shallow DOF.

There's a bit of a skill to it but it's satisfying when you get it right. Again, a small aperture and lots of light is required for the maximum DOF. Here's the flickr group.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/raynoxdcr250/

Sancho, or anyone really, would you recommend using a flash for macro images? I have a P&S which has full manual controls. In some of my photos, as you can see, they come out a bit grainy. I've tried messing with the ISO, but if the natural light isn't absolutely perfect, they still come out grainy.

Yeah, I'd recommend flash for macro images providing the lens doesn't cast a shadow on the subject because of how close it is.

You should obviously also try and choose a flash power for a good exposure on the subject.

The flash should allow you to lower the ISO and then reduce grain. It will also allow a lower shutter speed, i.e less blur. I think I used a flash in all the pics I've posted.

Depending on the power of the flash, you could also try bouncing it of a surface. If you place a white piece of card at 45 degree angle in front of the flash and then bounce it of a ceiling or wall your pictures should improve in general.

This works for portraits and generally most photos, including macro providing the flash is powerful enough. It makes a world of difference to your pics. It's possible to do with a credit card simply held below the flash.

A similar setup below.

bounce-card.jpg

thanks, sancho. :) <3

i've been playing with the flash a bit more, and i can increase the intensity of the flash on my camera.

this is what i use, btw:

Panasonic_Lumix_DMC-FZ18.jpg

lumix fz18

Oh thnx ... it's one of my favs too.

I will be honest though ......

The camera I use has different color filters I can place over the photo ... I used a purple tint over that photo.

Usually I don't touch up photos but I couldn't resist! ... I kinda reckon it's cheating.

^^ Cool! I should try and take some of my kitties. They just don't tend to stay still for long enough though :|

LOVE those latest pics 8ft!!

Oh thnx ... it's one of my favs too.

I will be honest though ......

The camera I use has different color filters I can place over the photo ... I used a purple tint over that photo.

Usually I don't touch up photos but I couldn't resist! ... I kinda reckon it's cheating.

Nah. There's nothing wrong with touching up a little. :)