• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Lysergamides Lying to, or deceiving people, when you are high on LSD.

I've noticed that narcissists seem to become more direct but still retain their narcissism on psychedelics. In fact, psychedelics usually amplify their narcissism significantly. Seems like you need to want psychedelics to change you in order for them to do so.

Or maybe they just didn't take enough ;)

I think psychedelics tend to just bring out what is inside people. Most people want to be good people and most people have empathy for others. So psychedelics will tend to bring that out... they will tend to realize flaws in themselves, which can lead to personal changes and improvements. However, if someone lacks the ability to empathize, they aren't going to magically gain that ability from psychedelics. If someone is a narcissist, they will only have that strengthened as they realize the true depths of their amazingness :)rolleyes:). In fact, psychedelics have made me realize I am, in fact, "god" (I use that term only in the sense of "god" being the universe itself). But for me, that realization is shared with the fact that we ALL are "god". And hence, we're all equally worthy of respect and consideration, we're all equally special. Putting myself above anyone else would be hurting me, hurting us all. But a narcissist or sociopath would probably interpret that sort of realization as "I am god, all the rest of you are nothing, I'm the most amazing thing in the universe, worship me".

I think psychedelics tend to just bring out what is inside people. Most people want to be good people and most people have empathy for others. So psychedelics will tend to bring that out... they will tend to realize flaws in themselves, which can lead to personal changes and improvements. However, if someone lacks the ability to empathize, they aren't going to magically gain that ability from psychedelics. If someone is a narcissist, they will only have that strengthened as they realize the true depths of their amazingness :)rolleyes:). In fact, psychedelics have made me realize I am, in fact, "god" (I use that term only in the sense of "god" being the universe itself). But for me, that realization is shared with the fact that we ALL are "god". And hence, we're all equally worthy of respect and consideration, we're all equally special. Putting myself above anyone else would be hurting me, hurting us all. But a narcissist or sociopath would probably interpret that sort of realization as "I am god, all the rest of you are nothing, I'm the most amazing thing in the universe, worship me".
I think it depends on how cemented their behaviour is. After all, no behaviour is concrete and without change. We know behaviour because we can differentiate it and because we can, that means its not fixed. Narcissism is not a fixed condition. Its the product of years of coping mechanisms that culminate in patterns of behaviour that we consider to be narcissistic. At one point that person was not narcissistic but they became so in order to cope with particular environmental stresses which threatened them in a way they developed a sense of self to cope with those stresses to protect themselves from being destroyed. One which we know is not congruent with who they are, hence the narcissism and the superficiality, grandiosity etc they project. They learned to navigate the world by putting on a facade. This can be undone.

A sociopath is also not born. They are made, just like narcissists and so this behaviour can also be unlearned too. The treatment rate with conventional therapy is pretty low, especially for narcissism but maybe that's because conventional therapy cannot hit the unconscious forces behind behaviour. A psychopath on the other hand has physical abnormalities in the brain that affect certain areas responsible for impulse control, empathy, emotional regulation etc. This cannot be treated at least not in the way you could remove these physical abnormalities from their brain. Narcissists and sociopaths don't have these physical abnormalities.

I've noticed that narcissists seem to become more direct but still retain their narcissism on psychedelics. In fact, psychedelics usually amplify their narcissism significantly. Seems like you need to want psychedelics to change you in order for them to do so.

Or maybe they've just not been exposed to life events that allowed for their defense mechanisms to be broken down enough? I always believe the best treatment for these conditions is a solid restructuring of their sense of self that comes from a situation in life that is so profound it pushes them to see the fatal flaws in who they are. I mean, relationships could be one example. Falling in love or experiencing something that rocks you to your core. Having a child could be another. Experiencing something that significantly impacts the fabric of the persons sense of self to the point where they have to explore why it impacted them in the first place. I agree though, you have to be open to that happening and that would be entirely down to the life history, perceptions and trajectory in life of that individual. Some people wake up to their own bullshit because, whether they realize it or not, they are on a path to do so. And some people don't.

It is really hard to open your defense mechanisms and accept your vulnerability and fallibility when society does not support doing so (because of our dominator complex hyper competitive consumer capitalist societies) and when doing so is not compatible with both society and culture. You could have the most amazing psychedelic experience but then soon be whisked down to baseline again when you go back to work and your boss is a dick, mainstream news is pumping out violence, war and division all the time and society largely appears to not give a fuck other than for consuming and following the masses in a vicious circle of such mindless consumption.

The defense mechanisms must be down for a sufficient amount of time with the individual willing to submit to reality whereby these mechanisms are not central to their fundamental existence. And then new behaviours that follow which are repeated for as long as necessary until the undesired traits are conditioned out of their central role or to follow current neuroscience trends, neuroplasticity and rewiring the brain.

The first time I took LSD I "lied" to my parents, when I regained the ability to speak that "Oh no, haha of course I did not take anything and I am not on drugs...I had too much caffeine and the MSG in the leftover Chinese food is making me not feel so well...I am going to sleep early." But who was I kidding? I was not fooling them, they were not stupid, knew I was on something, or probably assumed I was stoned as I had smoked some Colombian marijuana at home after taking the acid at school. I was more worried that my parents would flip out and make me go to a hospital like another guy I was in school with did when his parents found out he was tripping hard on LSD, but thankfully this did not happen. I thought that all LSD was this super strong so I did not take it again until I was 18 or 19 and had tripped on mushrooms in large and moderate doses.

Falling in love or experiencing something that rocks you to your core. Having a child could be another.
Based on experience with my father, getting married and having a child is definitely not enough to get someone to stop being a narcissist. It certainly could be enough to get regular people to examine narcissistic tendencies in themselves. But having some narcissistic tendencies and being a full-blown narcissist are two very different things.

I have known people who have narcissistic personality disorder and after they take psychedelics they become even more manipulative, and their narcissism increases.

Based on experience with my father, getting married and having a child is definitely not enough to get someone to stop being a narcissist. It certainly could be enough to get regular people to examine narcissistic tendencies in themselves. But having some narcissistic tendencies and being a full-blown narcissist are two very different things.
I can relate to that. Some of my family have narcissistic and sociopathic traits. Any positive changes in their life didn't illicit a change on a deeper level. If anything it maybe even made them worse.

I still believe it depends on the individual. I don't believe its terminal.

I have known people who have narcissistic personality disorder and after they take psychedelics they become even more manipulative, and their narcissism increases.
That is always the risk of taking psychedelics when their personality structure is on the extreme end. And that's also the risk with taking high dose psychedelics anyway. It can be very easy to believe you've experienced something so profound that you are among a select few gifted to experience it. I think everybody perceives themselves who has taken psychedelics as believing they have something more than the average person because of their experiences. Otherwise, why would we put so much emphasis on them? Terence McKenna talked about this a few times saying that why are people taking psychedelics if not to reach a state that others haven't before and so what does that imply? He postulated it implies a certain level of superiority among the average population. And in a way, he's right. I don't think I've ever met someone with enough experience with psychedelics who doesn't, even if only to a certain degree, believe they are more superior or advanced than those who haven't awoken to their conditioning and managed to unlock answers to their own questions and predicaments.

You are in a way a certain level more advanced. If you weren't, you wouldn't take them. That itself is an ego trip and so you can't escape the ego with psychedelics no matter what you do. Those who are narcissistic will just cling to their ego even more though, which is unfortunate and does nothing to help them I guess

Lol sounds like my Dad too. Also he's not a stranger to LSD and other psychedelics either, and he's still a narcissist. Love my Dad, he has many amazing qualities, but he is also a narcissist.

I think LSD can make narcissists even more narcissistic in the long term. They can have that whole enlightened-er than thou trip, or the introspective qualities of tripping can make them fascinate even more over themselves, focus on their own goals, special qualities and so on.

Not that I think someone like my Dad shouldn't have taken LSD. I think it helped grow my Dad as a person, pointed him in the right direction developmentally. It may have reinforced his narcissistic tendencies, but he's a benign narcissist. Maybe it's not so bad to be self obsessed if you're a good person. It's hard to be humble when you're perfect in every way.

I'm definitely a psychedelic exceptionalist, I believe the drugs weigh heavily on the net-benefit side for humanity, or at least for modern western society. But it's not without its problems.

Ok then - riddle me this.

Let’s say you absolutely feel you love someone (friend love or romantic love - same difference) because you truly know them - their heart, their soul, their character etc - all those things you need to know before you can truly love somebody meaningfully.

But in actual fact the entire time you have been with this person was in the course of the two of you tripping on LSD together. You’ve met them 3 times. 3 x 18 hrs tripping balls just the two of you.

Should you trust your feelings on this? Would you happily make them your bestest friend or the love of your life?

If not. Why not?

But in actual fact the entire time you have been with this person was in the course of the two of you tripping on LSD together. You’ve met them 3 times. 3 x 18 hrs tripping balls just the two of you.

Should you trust your feelings on this? Would you happily make them your bestest friend or the love of your life?

If not. Why not?
LSD or not, 54 hours split over 3 occasions is certainly not enough time to truly get to know somebody.

Didn't read this whole thread but... goes without saying, it would be hard. But, if they're lying to people who are also tripping, this matters less.

High functioning psychopaths or sociopaths likely would do best, not being distracted by the emotional lability which essentially removes a whole chunk of the distracting headfuck that makes it hard to do anything properly when tripping.

On the other hand - brains all work differently and I'll bet quite a few neurotypicals who relish the absurdity of the psychedelic headspace would do well, maybe even better than usual, enjoying the "challenge", perhaps.

Equally - psychopathy and sociopathy can already be close to producing some out there delusions, drugs being a factor or not. It's possible either neurotype would forget or change their mind about the relevance or the purpose of lying in the first place, and choose to simply not bother - even if, in a sober mindset, the consequences of this would be obvious, and negative.

Many variables at play. Question is too broad, IMO.

I dont think so ...feelings are immensly amplified under the influence.To call someone best friend imo ....takes time...history and events ...knowing someone for 3 days ...you havent even scratched the surface.

I think this may be right, As someone who enjoys the occasional tab I have noticed that it tends to bring out my inner nihilistic and self loathing towards the end of any given trip and tends to make me focus on what I can improve on, the whole idea of a part of the universe/god thing is far from my experience but being both nihilist and atheistic they are not terms I would use.

On the idea of lying well on LSD I feel it would be hard personally though the hardest on your first trip, my first time I went to go get a powerade from the nearby store before it kicked in, and it kicked in halfway there and my perception of time was very off so the walk coulda been 5 minutes or an hour, and I was just struggling not to crack up as I bought the powerade and wandered off to have a little explore as I got used to the feeling of it, even on my most recent trips I feel lying would have been hard but I would also have mixed the truth with some weird ramblings on it.

I agree. But all that time tripping you can start to really believe you do.

What I’m getting at, is that many psychedelic insights are a shaky foundation for major life decisions..
Yeah, with how time seems a little wonky on some of them some of the time it can feel like a much longer period has passed too but making life choices while tripping is probably not a smart play.

What I’m getting at, is that many psychedelic insights are a shaky foundation for major life decisions..

That's where integration comes into play. To make a psychedelic state truly functional there needs to be some sort of dialogue between the high mind and the baseline mind. And the demand for integration in psychedelic communities illustrates this dialogue might not always arise of itself.

Creative pursuits help with this. Musicians, especially still learning musicians, might come up with a fresh idea while tripping.. but they better refine it from a sober mindstate to cut the actual statue out of the stone(d), or they might get unpleasantly surprised. Or consider the creative pursuit we're all engaged in, writing on bluelight. We can plonk anything down over here, in whatever state we please. But we also want to return here to do our harm reduction homework without feeling embarrassed about past behaviour. This forces us to put our high musings into baseline consideration, if only because we read the responses by others who have read your cosmic download. And thus, through having - and internalizing the process of - a dialogue, we practice integration.

So I disagree they're a shaky foundation for major life decisions. They might make the very best foundation. It's just that they shouldn't be the only foundation.

Strange question.

I would hope that habitual liars on a hard trip would see the error of their ways and break down completely. If they don't, then they're obviously total psychopaths.
Ppl that lie are not Just to be called psychopaths, ppl lie for many reasons, out of insecurity, to not Hurt someone,...

I actually believe that ppl who lie for their own benefit are a minority, since everybody Lies, probably without really realizing IT most of the time...

Sometimes its Just easyer to bend the truth somewhat, lots of things can be to complex to try to explain...

Especially drug users, seems to me, have to lie at least now and then, about their use and everything that correlates with that, i dont see how you can be honest about that in many Social situations, are you going to tell Ur Boss you probably wont function 100% today cause you are recovering from a Meth binge? OR do you tell Ur philosophy professor at school you came to insights using psychedelics? Okay maybe this last one is not that unthinkable, but you get the point...

I myself AM not in any way more a liar than the next Guy, but when i Am on large doses of stimulants I tent to start telling Lies without me wanting to, the words Just come out of my mouth and create complex, highly detailed stories ...

This is something I feel bad about, and I usually explain this to my Friends afterwards, luckily they are very understanding, IT helps that im nothing like this when sober OR on other drugs OR...

So, AM i a psychopath?