Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

LSD to cure depression and anxiety

Willydog155

Bluelighter
Hello Bluelight,

For the past year I have been dealing with what was diagnosed as adhd and anxiety. Although many people may not think these are real conditions, they effect my day to day life very frequently. Also my life has had some very depressing and difficult turns that left me not knowing how to deal with it. I lost my gf of 2 years, my H addict brother now lives with me although he is now 26 days sober it is difficult to watch. I have missed a couple weeks of school just from not having motivation and I don't believe this can continue. My constant anxiousness increasingly gets worse from the adderall I am prescribed, although I avoid taking it as much as I can now. All anxiety medicines I have tried have not worked and it seems I'm never going to get better. So my question to all of you would be do you think LSD in the rite setting, dosage, and timing could cure me of depression or anxiety? I don't mean completely cure because that obviously does not just happen overnight, but at least help me realize the reasoning for my constant anxiousness, and to help me deal with the problems I can't seem to get over. I have taken LSD before with a couple of friends late at night and spent most of the time outside, I felt as if this trip was not taken in the rite set or setting. When and if I use the LSD to treat my symptoms I would like to be alone, at an appropriate time, and setting. I do live at home with parents who were raised on the morals of "drugs are bad". Although there views, I believe as long as they understand my reasoning they may be ok with it which would eliminate the worrying of my parents finding out what I am doing, which I understand could greatly effect my trip.

Maybe you should look into ayahuasca. Ayahuasca is something you could do on your own. Iboga is a more powerfull healer, but you should't do that by yourself. But check them out. get some info first so that you can make an informed choice.

Not sure why people seem to say as a fact LSD will make things worse. At the end of the day, you just don't know.

There are countless (hundreds +) of examples where people say LSD cures their depression and or anxiety.

I'm one of those. I don't suffer from depression but can be anxious. I do have a lot of stress now and then because of work. LSD is like a complete reset button to me for those things. Any unresolved problems, anxiety, confusion or stress in my life seem to be gone after a trip. They only seem to come back when I use other substances (Alcohol being the worst culprit).

That doesn't mean I'm recommending it for this, either way you won't know how it will affect someone until they've tried it, and there are enough people both sides of the fence of this experience. There is a huge possiblity for it to amplify depression and anxiety, but it's not a fact.

If you choose carefully the set and setting it could help you inmensely. The opposite is true as well. Set, setting and a intention to find solutions or ways can help you a lot. When in doubth, between trying or not trying you always has to choose trying, so at least you get the experience (Jodorowski dixit).

Ayahuasca, LSD, mushrooms or RCs are all interchangeable in your case.

I also think meditation can be helpful to gain perspective.

^I think mindfulness meditation is extremely important for those with anxiety and attention issues. It will take practice. I suggest an app called headspace to learn the basics - the first 10 lessons are free.

I think it would be important to have the basics of meditation under your belt before trying psychedelics. I personally think you should practice meditation and then try LSD or a shorter acting psychedelic like mushrooms. You can try low doses of mushrooms to make sure you react okay.

Well this is about harm reduction so if theres a "huge possibility" i wouldnt chance it. Why do you think everyone says dont trip if you got something bad on your mind

Lsd will just intensify any underlying problems your facing

Yeah, that's the point. Temporarily intensify your problems in a safe and controlled manner in order to gain a better understanding of said problems, and learn to deal with them better.

Not to bash recreational users, but LSD isn't only about giggling at colors and paisley patterns. It can also be used as a medicine, and this process isn't necessarily very much fun.

Last edited:
I think he understands them enough to not want to worsen the problem by intensifying it for a 12 hour trip. HARM REDUCTION

Use of psychedelic drugs helped me overcome chronic depression (permanently overcome) about 10 years ago. The experiences profoundly changed my life for the better.

That being said, no one can predict an individual's reaction, especially outside of a clinical setting without the benefit of a trained mental health professional. You could emerge from the experience completely cured. You could face even more severe depression, or significant depersonalization and derealisation. Psychedelics are unpredictable, particularly in regards to people already suffering from mental health issues.

I dunno, I wouldn't do it man. I've said in the past that LSD has helped me to treat depression, but I'd be lying if I said that it didn't come back in full force only weeks or months later. I think that it can really make you see the goodness and the beauty in the world, but it can also show you the opposite. In the end I just don't think it's a good cure all. I find that approaching it when you're coming out of the depressed phase is the best time, rather than when you're full on in it.

Take care.

Monthly doses of 5-HT2A agonists can help desensitize 5-HT2A, which has been found to be over expressed in deceased suicide victims. One therapeutic effect of chronic SSRI administration is down regulation of 5HT2A receptors. This effect can be achieved much faster with psychedelics, but at some point you will have to dose again. Some people swear by mushrooms quarterly.

My point is that outside of psychedelics effect on the psyche, there is probably some mechanisms by which psychedelics improve the biology of people with depression. Psilocybin has been found to increase neurogenesis, and increased neurogenesis is highly associated with improvement of depression. Most depression therapies, ranging from SSRIs to ECT, work in part by increasing neurogenesis.

But there might be some component of improved psyche and consciousness/awareness that you could also benefit from. Not that those effects don't have a biological basis as well.

Psychedelics have a lot of therapeutic and healing potential, but they also come with the risk of making things worse. To the guy who said LSD helped his depression but it came back worse, LSD is only one part of the process in overcoming one's psychological issues. It can be immensively helpful and insightful, but you also need to follow through on what it showed you. Its not just eat LSD, life becomes perfect. It's simply one tool (a powerful tool) that can be used to improve our health and well being. But it requires skill and commitment to use it wisely and there are risks involved. Ultimately the individual has to make up their own mind whether they think its worth trying.

To me psychedelics have been helpful, more the natural psychedelics which I find give me a much "fuller" experience but LSD is good also. Have psychedelics solved all my problems? absolutely not. Have they been very helpful in getting me back on a good path in life? Very much so.

There isn't much risk with microdosing psychedelics. that would prob be a better option.

ALD 52 is a little more therapeutic for me than LSD I believe. knocked some depression i was having out...for now at least.

ibogaine, mushrooms, Lysergamides are all pretty good options. ibogaine is prob the best but the hardest to source and can be dangerous. worked really well for me.

i think microdosing mushrooms is really under rated for depression. not really any risk with those and you can take it daily for as long as you need to. I think after doing that for an extended period of time it could tune you right up.

I would avoid SSRIs, benzos, etc etc. Been there myself and i barely made it out alive after psychiatry.

as far as just taking acid and expecting to be cured, thats not likely to work for you but you could have a great time. just mind your dose. don't take more than 1 tab your first go til you get your legs.

can be very therapeutic.

theres a few good threads around on treating depression naturally or with psychedelics or non psych drug methods if you use the search function.

heres a couple

http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads...-out-there?highlight=microdosing+psychedelics
http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads...depression?highlight=microdosing+psychedelics

Everyone's mentally ill. The question is, how ill?

Just because a doctor diagnoses you with depression doesn't mean much. There's a financial incentive for the medical industry to over-prescribe psychiatric meds. There isn't a single healthy person that doesn't experience depression and anxiety, or even paranoia, to some extent, at some point in their life.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that the anybody is guaranteed a positive outcome if they take LSD. I'm just trying to shoot down the silly notion that you can't trip with a mental illness (to reiterate -- anyone that trips, trips with a mental illness).

Hello Bluelight,

For the past year I have been dealing with what was diagnosed as adhd and anxiety. Although many people may not think these are real conditions, they effect my day to day life very frequently. Also my life has had some very depressing and difficult turns that left me not knowing how to deal with it. I lost my gf of 2 years, my H addict brother now lives with me although he is now 26 days sober it is difficult to watch. I have missed a couple weeks of school just from not having motivation and I don't believe this can continue. My constant anxiousness increasingly gets worse from the adderall I am prescribed, although I avoid taking it as much as I can now. All anxiety medicines I have tried have not worked and it seems I'm never going to get better. So my question to all of you would be do you think LSD in the rite setting, dosage, and timing could cure me of depression or anxiety? I don't mean completely cure because that obviously does not just happen overnight, but at least help me realize the reasoning for my constant anxiousness, and to help me deal with the problems I can't seem to get over. I have taken LSD before with a couple of friends late at night and spent most of the time outside, I felt as if this trip was not taken in the rite set or setting. When and if I use the LSD to treat my symptoms I would like to be alone, at an appropriate time, and setting. I do live at home with parents who were raised on the morals of "drugs are bad". Although there views, I believe as long as they understand my reasoning they may be ok with it which would eliminate the worrying of my parents finding out what I am doing, which I understand could greatly effect my trip.

I would try meditation and exercise, getting into the gym and meditation every day first upon after breakfast. Its astonishing how much meditation effects the brain when you focus on a positive goal you have in mind, small or large, just focus on the next step and its okay to focus on the future as well.

I would hold off psychedelics for now maybe until your in a better place mentally and emotionally. develop the meditation and exercise habits.

Thank you for all for your help, I somehow had forgotten about this post but I should have added I am in counseling, And I have taken LSD with a couple friends and it was a positive experience until the comedown when everyone fell asleep and I was alone to face the problems. It scared the living hell out of me but I feel as this can be extremely beneficial. I remember after the trip just thinking of how everything works in the world and how I haven't been a functioning part of it. I even ended up going into work tripping (when my friends convinced me I'm fine and no possible way in tripping after 10 hours)which lead to me being picked up about 10 minutes later when I almost passed out from a panic attack. I feel if I didn't go to work that day my introspective vision would have continued to analyze as it was and although it may be difficult, if I could get through the uncomfortable feeling I know will be temporary, it will be extremely beneficial to face these things we seem to be so numb to in our average lives. I consider myself happy most of the time but it's the times I'm alone that the depression strikes. I have decided I am going to try this out preferably alone but I think it's necessary to get some advice from you guys first. I am heavily considering meditation for my trip but was wondering what you guys recommend to keep the trip introspective but also positive if possible. Also I am on vistaril which is clasified as a I believe, I am not sure if this can be beneficial but it is supposed to treat my anxiety. (Makes me a tiny bit looser, still anxiety)

Monthly doses of 5-HT2A agonists can help desensitize 5-HT2A, which has been found to be over expressed in deceased suicide victims. One therapeutic effect of chronic SSRI administration is down regulation of 5HT2A receptors. This effect can be achieved much faster with psychedelics, but at some point you will have to dose again. Some people swear by mushrooms quarterly.

My point is that outside of psychedelics effect on the psyche, there is probably some mechanisms by which psychedelics improve the biology of people with depression. Psilocybin has been found to increase neurogenesis, and increased neurogenesis is highly associated with improvement of depression. Most depression therapies, ranging from SSRIs to ECT, work in part by increasing neurogenesis.

But there might be some component of improved psyche and consciousness/awareness that you could also benefit from. Not that those effects don't have a biological basis as well.

I believe vistaril is a 5-HT2A antagonist and was also wondering if anyone could tell me if this will significantly effect my trip, from research I determined LSD works on the same receptors although I am not sure, all of that stuff is new to me. Would taking a double dosage while trippign calm me down? (Physiatrist said to do this in the case of anxiety attacks) Also I understand the idea of harm reduction but I don't consider this LSD anxiety as any harm. Of course there's possibilities of PTSD but at a low dose in the rite setting the chance should be very minimal.

Psilocybin cured me of a long-standing deep depression. I don't tend to find the same effect from LSD unless you take it in a particular way - instead of taking the dose all at once, split it in half by 20-30 mins. This completely alters the trip into a much more MDMA type experience with added psychedelic fluffiness. But it can be a little harder on your digestive tract so take a little more care with what you eat (better off eating light with maybe a chocolate bar to take away the pangs).

But for depression - I think psilocybin is king. I never found this "It makes your problems worse" at all - it gives you 4 or 5 hours of blessed relief and gradually seems to alter your brain chemistry to decrease heavy depressions. Good luck man.