View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

LSD storage

Plurple

Bluelighter
I know there are already quite a few threads on this subject, but I couldn't quite find the answers I was looking for.
I have come across a very reputable source for LSD, and I'm considering getting a sheet. I just want to make sure, if I do get a sheet it stays as potent as possible for as long as possible.

Would the tabs wrapped in foil, in a mason jar half way full with rice, stuffed inside a black bag, inside a cabinet, in the coldest room of the house suffice? The room is always above 32°f, but typically 10-15° below room temp. I'm super OCD, and like I said before. I just want my stuff to last.

The rate of degradation for LSD is largely overstated.
I've had tabs sitting unwrapped in a dime bag in my night stand for well over a year with no discernible drop in potency.
Your method is certainly sufficient at least; the rice seems to be unnecessary step, the mason jar should be sufficient to protect from any possible moisture, although if you live in an extremely humid/tropical climate it certainly wouldn't be a bad idea if you're planning on storing it long-term (>1 year).

Even *only* wrapped in foil it should last you several years without losing potency.

In tinfoil it will last for upwards of 500 years. Don't worry about it.

All the stories about "lsd degrades really quick" were an urban myth.

LSD is abnormally fragile and does degrade at temperature dependent speeds. Noticeable degradation occurs within hours if kept in hot cars and slower degradation occurs at lower temperatures. Look at this excerpt from a peer reviewed medical journal here.

Journal of Analytical Toxicology said:
A controlled study was undertaken to determine the stability of LSD in pooled urine samples. The concentrations of LSD in urine samples were followed over time at various temperatures, in different types of storage containers, at various exposures to different wavelengths of light, and at varying pH values. LSD concentrations were measured quantitatively by the Abuscreen RIA and by HPLC using a fluorescence detection method. Good correlation was observed between the immunoassay and the fluorescent integrity of the LSD molecule. Thermostability studies were conducted in the dark with various containers. These studies demonstrated no significant loss in LSD concentration at 25 degrees C for up to 4 weeks. After 4 weeks of incubation, a 30% loss in LSD concentration at 37 degrees C and up to a 40% at 45 degrees C were observed. Urine fortified with LSD and stored in amber glass or nontransparent polyethylene containers showed no change in concentration under any light conditions. Stability of LSD in transparent containers under light was dependent on the distance between the light source and the samples, the wavelength of light, exposure time, and the intensity of light. After prolonged exposure to heat in alkaline pH conditions, 10 to 15% of the parent LSD epimerized to iso-LSD. Under acidic conditions, less than 5% of the LSD was converted to iso-LSD. We also demonstrated that trace amounts of metal ions in buffer or urine could catalyze the decomposition of LSD and that this process can be avoided by the addition of EDTA. This study demonstrates the importance of proper storage conditions of LSD in urine in order to insure proper analytical testing results over time.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9788528

^The LSD was in urine, which would certainly make it degrade faster than paper.

LSD is abnormally fragile and does degrade at temperature dependent speeds.

Can you back this up? Or is it something you heard and accepted blindly? Have you ever stored LSD for years at a time? I have. 4 years on I can't tell any difference.

Look at this excerpt from a peer reviewed medical journal here.

I dunno about pooled urine and hot cars. Hopefully you arn't storing LSD in pooled urine anyway.

My question is, who in their right mind is going to take LSD stored in urine?
I mean I guess if you're desperate enough to trip, but it just doesn't seem like a logical experiment to me.

^Clearly the study was looking at LSD as it's excreted through urine by someone who has already taken it. I highly doubt those scientists were like, "Oh, let's store our LSD in urine, that's a great idea for a study!"

But yeah, I've been storing some tabs for well over a year now, simply in foil, inside a baggy, inside a mason jar at room temp, and I've had no noticeable degradation.

It's how urban myths get started tho - someone sees one bit of "research" that appears to claim something and then makes that magic jump to "that must mean it's the same if you store it in foil as in urine".

Would the tabs wrapped in foil, in a mason jar half way full with rice, stuffed inside a black bag, inside a cabinet, in the coldest room of the house suffice? The room is always above 32°f, but typically 10-15° below room temp. I'm super OCD, and like I said before. I just want my stuff to last.

Relax. That's more than enough.

Answering the question Ismene asked:

Could I provide evidence of LSD's temperature dependent stability and degradation?
Yes, I already did. The study clearly demonstrates LSD degradation is accelerated with increased temperature. The study is in urine resulting from the fact prohibition has limited research on LSD. Combined with the known fact of LSD's fragile nature this supports the validity of my assertion earlier in this thread.

I also have personal experience with LSD degrading in the presence of heat. I have preformed the experiment of putting LSD in an oven and had the LSD loose potency 100%. I have had LSD loose potency while camping during the summer. I have also had LSD loose potency if kept in hot cars several hours. Logically the LSD I have kept over long durations I have kept in my freezer. If this isn't enough evidence I have more.

Erowid said:
Q: How long does blotter LSD last? Is wrapping it in foil and putting it in the freezer a reasonable storage method?
A: The primary catalysts for the decomposition of LSD are heat, light, oxygen, and moisture. LSD's shelf life can be significantly extended if exposure to these are minimized.

Air & Light

Keeping LSD in an air and light proof container is the most important step. A good option is a dark amber glass container kept somewhere cool. Remember, most plastic (plastic bags) is not air tight, though it's a lot better than nothing. Likewise, keeping blotter in foil isn't going to stop air transfer, but it's also better than nothing. If glass isn't available, a combination of foil and plastic would be more effective than either one alone.

Temperature

LSD will degrade even at room temperature, but the hotter the temperature and the longer it is stored in a hot location, the more it will degrade. At room temperature, degredation is quite slow, so a cool room, out of the sun is generally enough to minimize break-down. Storing blotter in the refrigerator or freezer is fine, but is probably unnecessary.

Moisture

If blotter is stored somewhere cold (as opposed to cool), it should be allowed to return to room temperature before being opened as this will prevent condensation from forming. Also, if the weather is extremely humid, storing LSD with a little bit of dessicant (drying agent), can ensure that it stays dry.

If these storage methods are followed, blotter should last for many years. Foil in the freezer is a common storage method, and should be effective at keeping degradation to a minimumfor a few years.

Asked By : cody
Answered By : psilo/fire
Published Date : 12 / 6 / 1999
Last Edited Date : 7 / 10 / 2001
Question ID : 82
https://www.erowid.org/ask/ask.php?ID=82

I keep my tabs wrapped in foil, placed in a mylar ziplock and stored in the freezer.

However I can get pretty wreckless with storage. I had loose tabs sitting in a drawer for over 2 years that didn't have a noticbale loss of potency. My friends dad had some tabs in a book from the 80s that seemed as strong as ever.

I have had vials sit in my tent for days and go through extreme temp changes. I don't think lsd in the form that the consumer gets it is that unstable. Even had a sheet get soggy due to humidity and those were fine.

I would imagine Its when you have 100gs of xtal and it degrades 2% then it could be a concern.

I think tap water and UV light are your only concerns.

The study clearly demonstrates LSD degradation is accelerated with increased temperature

What kind of temperature? Hot car on a sunny day temps? Most peoples houses don't get that hot.

And note that the study isn't studying the same thing you claim. Most of us have LSD on blotter paper. What you need is studies of LSD on blotter paper in tinfoil at room temp breaking down. My guess is you won't find them - because it would take too long to notice any drop in potency.

Logically the LSD I have kept over long durations I have kept in my freezer.

How long? I've kept LSD at room temperature for at least 4-5 years with absolutely no loss in potency. At this rate it's going to be decades if not hundreds of years before any loss in potency. I've pretty much reached the conclusion that LSD on blotters is stable and would be active for the next 1000 years minimum. If you're putting into the oven then you might have problems. My advice is try to keep your LSD out of the oven.

Originally Posted by Erowid

Be interesting to know where this info came from tho. I remember we were all assured that al-lad was "unstable" and would "break down" unless stored in a freezer. Many of us have had al-lad at room temp for 3-4 years now with no loss in potency. Go figure.

I don't know about lsd but I'm storing 1p-lsd at room temperature just fine. Anyway, I don't know about temperature but from reports such as this one ( https://www.erowid.org/ask/ask.php?ID=226 ) it looks like moisture will be a greater issue. If you keep your tabs in a wet place and the liquid runs off, you'll end up losing material.

Keep it in a cold, dark, dry place and it will last a very long time. People way overestimate how fast LSD degrades.

I myself have kept tabs wrapped in foil, then perhaps put into a baggie, away from light, heat, moisture and air.

They've not lost any noticeable potency whatsoever.

Unless you're thinking of storing them for a hundred years, a freezer seems overkill to me... :p

Ismene,

I had LSD degrade noticeably within hours in hot un-airconditoned cars at >100F. I had LSD degrade noticeably within days camping at ~60-95F.

The key is to not let The Black Pirate store your hits for you.