View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

LSD Daily use as an Anti-Depressant

mushi mushi 88

Bluelighter
Hey I was wondering but would it be possible to use LSD everyday in small amounts as an anti-depressant? Now when I say small amounts I mean like cutting up a tab into 8 or 10 peices...

I was thinking this because I know it use to be used back in the day for something like this before it was made illegal.... I would like to try it on myself because I suffer from anxiety and depression, I work full-time and study 4 night's a week so I would like some more info before going ahead and doing so because I don't want it to fuck up my studies and work...

Anyways any info that could be provided would be fantastic!

I suppose very tiny sub-psychedelic doses could be used as a cognition enhancing nootropic agent, like hydergine or other ergoloids. Since LSD is by far the most potent of the ergoloids, the nootropic dose would probably only be around 25ug. However, as a treatment for anxiety and lifelong ennui, I would actually not recommend this. I would recommend what was referred to as 'psycholytic' therapy before this stupid fucking 'war on drugs' relegated LSD permanently to Schedule I. In psycholytic therapy, a full dose--but not a mindfuck dose--is taken (say 200ug) in a therapeutic context (to facilitate deep introspection) every 2-4 weeks. This kind of dosing schedule has certainly worked wonderfully for me.

If you want an ergoloid for daily use, try hydergine. Hydergine was Hofmann's second great invention; while not hallucinogenic, it is a neurotrophic with psychostimulant and anti-dementia effects. Certainly a worthwhile and underused chemical. And this way you wouldn't have to use precious and rare LSD--you could save it for psychedelic purposes.

Last edited:
Riemann Zeta is spot on. In addition to (or in place of) hydergine, you might also consider the *racetams (piracetam is a good place to start) and/or phenibut. If you take a *racetam on a regular basis, you should also take a choline supplement of some sort; lecithin is the most common, as it is cheap and readily available at most stores that sell health supplements. Once you get used to swallowing a mouthful of the odd little soy ball things, it's actually not half bad. I used to take piracetam and lecithin daily, and I actually grew to like the taste of lecithin; it's mild and a little nutty. Piracetam, on the other hand, tastes awful and bitter.

I recommend getting supplements like piracetam or phenibut in bulk powder form rather than capsules. You will save a LOT of money (the capsules are often 10x as much for the same amount, just for the convenience!), and most (including the two mentioned above) can be dissolved easily in cold water. My routine was to take my dose of piracetam for the day, and phenibut if I was planning to use it that day (there's some tolerance to its mild euphoric effects at higher doses, so I took it about once a week at most), in about one big gulp worth of cold tap water. Dump in the powder, mix it up till you can't see it floating around in there, then gulp it down. For optimal efficiency, you can refill the cup you used with more water and drink that to get any residuals out of the cup. For your first few tries, a sweet, soothing chaser to follow is not a bad idea. Piracetam has always been very bitter in my experience. Phenibut is usually quite sour, although one bottle of phenibut I've left sitting around for a while now tastes bitter, very similar to piracetam... I wonder if I somehow contaminated my sample, but I don't think so.

Riemann, I'd say 25ug is still to high for nootropic....I think you'd wan to aim for below 20ug, at least below perceivable effects. Even a small amount of acid CAN have a startling effect at times.

Personally, I've used LSD on semi-daily basis' a few times over the past years, as you say, to relive depression and anxiety....it didn't work. That said, neither did any pharmaceutical so.... I'd think a small dose every few days would defintely have cardio benefits. I believe the late great Albert himself mentioned such a thing, when asked in latter years if he used LSD anymore.

I guess I can't feel real psychedelic effects until 50 ug, but I've got a 'hard' head and a hell of a general metabolic drug tolerance. I remember hearing that Hofmann used hydergine daily until the end. I wouldn't be surprised if he used LSD up until the end as a nootropic. And I think it worked--he made it to age 102 with complete lucidity and no dementia whatsoever, that's pretty damn good.

this was in a movie/docu i saw.... i think it may have been Hofmann's Potion or something..
it was one blotter in a wine glass (filled w/ water) and you cover it with plastic wrap and keep it in the fridge and have a sip a day for one week; not exactly a specific dose.

Does not tolerence to LSD build at like a super fast rate? Wouldnt its effects be useless after like 4-5 days of taking it?

How about a light, threshold dose of a typical pyschomotor stimulant...they elevate mood and enhance cognitive ablity, without building tolerence at such a rapid rate. (granted they still build tolerence)

Save the LSD for physedelic therapy with someone of resonable intelligence and that you trust, and take it once a week or every two weeks in a proper dosage and try to work though your issues that way.

Is Hydergine prescription or OTC?

Also, Is there a similar parallel substance for tryptamines? Something that could fulfill a wish of daily low-dose shrooms instead of LSD?

Last edited:
Cool thanks everyone for your oppinions... I think I will do some more study on the topic and try those other things as well before going ahead and doing it.

Kudos said:
Is Hydergine prescription or OTC?

Also, Is there a similar parallel substance for tryptamines? Something that could fulfill a wish of daily low-dose shrooms instead of LSD?

Hydergine is available through your doctor or an online pharmacy without a prescription.

According to Cooper et al, research has shown that low-dose LSD (<20ug, I believe) has a very different pharmacology, where it acts as a transporter modulator.

I believe this quality is unique to LSD, and is not present in other psychedelics (to answer the daily-shrooms question).

I have used LSD that way before and it DOES work very well IME, although, yes, tolerance goes up rather quickly, and if you increase your dose you will simply start tripping.

Does anyone know if hydergine interacts negatively with any drugs? I'm a poly drug abuser. I'm not dosing something new every day like I used to but I definitely still take at least one interesting substance a month, be it pharms, rc's or otherwise. I'd definitely like to see how hydergine affects my school performance and it's damn cheap if I don't say so myself.

Does anyone still manufacture Delysid? LSD is only schedule 3 in Canada, along with oft-prescribed meds like Amphetamines. I realize Canadian scheduling takes a different approach than the hysterical Americans... and also that no shrink would ever prescribe it. But still.

Sandoz quit manufacturing Delysid (LSD tartrate) many moons ago. The most likely place you're going to find a vial of that is in a museum probably.

RZ,
Based on personal experiences with LSD and having read TiHKAL, I am under the impression that 200 micrograms is more like a therapeutic dose of LSD whereas a full-blown psycholytic (literally, "mind rending") dose is more along the lines of 1.5 mg. I think it's important not to confuse the terminology.

^^ I thought that 200ug was considered the "psycholytic" dose (gentle dose, with multiple exposures over the course of long-term therapy), whereas >800ug was considered a "psychedelic" (one-off mindfuck) dose.

Back then, they really thought of it in Freudian terms: a psycholytic approach was employed to gently 'dissolve' or attenuate the ego, a psychedelic dose, on the other hand, was supposed to result in complete "ego-death," or in modern terms, a mindfuck.

Unless I have it backwards?

Last edited:
^ Since Groff talks extensively about "psycholytic" use.

I don't know, 150ish ug were more than enough for me for a powerful trip... certainly not something I'd be able to go through a therapy session on! Any higher dose and I imagine I would have been unable to move. Perhaps I'm just too sensitive to it?

^ maybe....I've noticed recently that my sensitivity to psychedelics is very setting dependent. If I am alone in my room and dose myself with something, then I often blow myself out of the water tripping so hard. But, if I'm in public (at a trance party or whatev), then my cognitive capabilities stick together and I'm much more 'with it'.

Sorry for the OT.

on topic: My advice is right along with riemann zeta. Using low dose daily LSD I think is a waste and will just downregulate receptors that it works on. I think you should reserve LSD for once in a while and then take a dose around 200-400ug.

So nobody has any sources where I could find some information about these??? Or at least personal experience? I think I may have to give it a go and see how it is for depression....

I think MeDieViL might be right about DMT. I could see DMT being a better option if you desire an instantaneous, short-acting, quasi-psychedelic mood lift with less propensity for tolerance than the major psychedelics--but good luck getting it in to you. Smoking that shit daily cannot be good for your general health and taking it orally with an MAOI might accidently launch you into hyperspace. I have recently learned the glorious nature of DMT after a single mild experience a while back (I've not had a 'blastoff' trip with it like I did with 5-MeO-DMT a long while ago, but it certainly was mood-elevating). I am still hoping someday to try orally-activated DMT; not Ahyuasca, but perhaps moclobemide and a small dose of l-deprenyl with DMT for the purpose of tripping. In sub-blastoff doses, I think DMT could really help with depression, without the long trip of LSD.

The problem with DMT is the question of route of administration: its lack of oral activity makes it a difficult but rewarding compound to investigate. Low dose DMT is also a completely different experience than high-dose DMT. At low doses, it is one of those wacky and aethereal trace amines (like phenethylamine, tyramine and tryptamine proper), binding only to the trace-amine receptor (TR1) and not to the 5-HT2A/C receptors that are thought to mediate classical psychedelic effects. Another compound also has this property of selective action at the TR1 receptor at ultra-low, sub-active doses: d-amphetamine.

Last edited: