• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

LSD causes retinal damage? 2018 study

Ok, this is not cool, maybe. Hopefully it’s super minor, but I’d need someone more educated to fully grasp the implications of this article.
Anyone out there to provide some clarity on this, rest us assured?

From a biochemist point of view of the study let's do a breakdown.

Lysergic acid diethylamide causes photoreceptor cell damage through inducing inflammatory response and oxidative stress

This basically says it can damage cells in our eyes that process vision and does so by increasing inflammation and increasing certain types of free radicals. Both effects can be counteracted by taking anti-inflammatories and antioxidants.

Abstract
Lysergic acid diethylamide (LSD), a classical hallucinogen, was used as a popular and notorious substance of abuse in various parts of the world. Its abuse could result in long-lasting abnormalities in retina and little is known about the exact mechanism. This study was to investigate the effect of LSD on macrophage activation state at non-toxic concentration and its resultant toxicity to photoreceptor cells.

This study looked specifically at to determine how LSD taken in non-toxic doses can damage vision.

Results showed that cytotoxicity was caused by LSD on 661 W cells after co-culturing with RAW264.7 cells. Treatment with LSD-induced RAW264.7 cells to the M1 phenotype, releasing more pro-inflammatory cytokines, and increasing the M1-related gene expression.

This confirmed LSD directly damages and kills ocular cells and does so in part by increasing the release and genetic production of inflammation proteins called cytokines. In most autoimmune and inflammation disorders cytokines are very high but they can be lowered via drugs or certain phytochemicals in some plants.

Moreover, after co-culturing with RAW264.7 cells, significant oxidative stress in 661 W cells treated with LSD was observed, by increasing the level of malondialdehyde (MDA) and reactive oxygen species (ROS), and decreasing the level of glutathione (GSH) and the activity of superoxide dismutase (SOD). Our study demonstrated that LSD caused photoreceptor cell damage by inducing inflammatory response and resultant oxidative stress, providing the scientific rationale for the toxicity of LSD to retina.

This study also confirmed it's cell toxic effects were due to it increasing levels of free radicals and lowering antioxidants including glutathione and SOD 2 of the most important ones in the body that serve to detoxify poisons. Both can be supplementated or given by iv at some antiaging clinics.

This is an important study that illustrates the reason risk of taking LSD in higher than typical levels or when abusing it. It may also serve as caution for those taking it to consume antidotes just prior to LSD to reduce the risk or entirely prevent any damage. Also for those who have abused it it may be prudents to take to aid in restoring levels closer to normal.

Here's the full article for those interested.

From a biochemist point of view of the study let's do a breakdown.

Lysergic acid diethylamide causes photoreceptor cell damage through inducing inflammatory response and oxidative stress

This basically says it can damage cells in our eyes that process vision and does so by increasing inflammation and increasing certain types of free radicals. Both effects can be counteracted by taking anti-inflammatories and antioxidants.

Abstract
Lysergic acid diethylamide (LSD), a classical hallucinogen, was used as a popular and notorious substance of abuse in various parts of the world. Its abuse could result in long-lasting abnormalities in retina and little is known about the exact mechanism. This study was to investigate the effect of LSD on macrophage activation state at non-toxic concentration and its resultant toxicity to photoreceptor cells.

This study looked specifically at to determine how LSD taken in non-toxic doses can damage vision.

Results showed that cytotoxicity was caused by LSD on 661 W cells after co-culturing with RAW264.7 cells. Treatment with LSD-induced RAW264.7 cells to the M1 phenotype, releasing more pro-inflammatory cytokines, and increasing the M1-related gene expression.

This confirmed LSD directly damages and kills ocular cells and does so in part by increasing the release and genetic production of inflammation proteins called cytokines. In most autoimmune and inflammation disorders cytokines are very high but they can be lowered via drugs or certain phytochemicals in some plants.

Moreover, after co-culturing with RAW264.7 cells, significant oxidative stress in 661 W cells treated with LSD was observed, by increasing the level of malondialdehyde (MDA) and reactive oxygen species (ROS), and decreasing the level of glutathione (GSH) and the activity of superoxide dismutase (SOD). Our study demonstrated that LSD caused photoreceptor cell damage by inducing inflammatory response and resultant oxidative stress, providing the scientific rationale for the toxicity of LSD to retina.

This study also confirmed it's cell toxic effects were due to it increasing levels of free radicals and lowering antioxidants including glutathione and SOD 2 of the most important ones in the body that serve to detoxify poisons. Both can be supplementated or given by iv at some antiaging clinics.

This is an important study that illustrates the reason risk of taking LSD in higher than typical levels or when abusing it. It may also serve as caution for those taking it to consume antidotes just prior to LSD to reduce the risk or entirely prevent any damage. Also for those who have abused it it may be prudents to take to aid in restoring levels closer to normal.

Here's the full article for those interested.

This study is talking alot of nonsense. LSD is not a oxidative stresser and infact is the opposite.

LSD is the greatest anti-inflammatory on this planet. This study is just a bunch of poor scientists doing fake science to get some free money to eat another another day while sitting on their ass typing up bs.

This study is talking alot of nonsense. LSD is not a oxidative stresser and infact is the opposite.

LSD is the greatest anti-inflammatory on this planet. This study is just a bunch of poor scientists doing fake science to get some free money to eat another another day while sitting on their ass typing up bs.

Greatest anti-inflammatory on this planet? I was not aware it had any or at least any therapeutic effects from this. Can you cite a study? I'm finding zero.

Last edited:
Which antidotes should be taken if considering taking LSD?

Taking glutathione and SOD would prevent the decline of it in the body when levels get too low that's when toxic effects happen.

For the cytokines anti-inflammatories or mung bean would help.

I usually take a number of antidotes and have things on stand by when taking any new chemical.

Greatest anti-inflammatory on this planet? I was not aware it had any or at least any therapeutic effects from this. Can you cite a study?

most studies are very limited since LSD is highly illegal. But i know from personal use there is nothing better to treat inflammation than a good dose of LSD. LSD cures my migraines my sore muscles makes me stretchy. LSD has cured me of the common cold when i have taken it while sick. I also believe LSD can have some small anti cancer properties. Taping into the healing power of LSD is also a mind game. LSD opens up many impossible things and all my years of tripping i have been going into those time space dimesions and wormholes learning to hack into my own bio code and dna to heal myself of ailments while on LSD

most studies are very limited since LSD is highly illegal. But i know from personal use there is nothing better to treat inflammation than a good dose of LSD. LSD cures my migraines my sore muscles makes me stretchy. LSD has cured me of the common cold when i have taken it while sick. I also believe LSD can have some small anti cancer properties. Taping into the healing power of LSD is also a mind game. LSD opens up many impossible things and all my years of tripping i have been going into those time space dimesions and wormholes learning to hack into my own bio code and dna to heal myself of ailments while on LSD

Wow. Well you're on the right forum.

It’s all very interesting, and was new information, so I thought I’d post it, hoping more knowledgeable folks would weigh in.
Thanks, Uncouplungreversed, for helping to better define in lay terms what they were finding; exactly what was hoped.

Again, I’m resting assured now, that there is something there, but it’s probably so minor to be ignored.
Do you think more follow-up studies will be done, or is this as some claim to be total nonsense?

LSD treats migraines because LSD causes vasoconstriction (which is different from being anti-inflammatory), just like many other serotonin agonists.
Today's common anti-migraine drugs, the triptans, are just substituted tryptamines that have been structurally tweaked to be more selective for the receptors involved with vasoconstriction without causing psychedelic or cardiotoxic effects.

LSD treats migraines because LSD causes vasoconstriction (which is different from being anti-inflammatory), just like many other serotonin agonists.
Today's common anti-migraine drugs, the triptans, are just substituted tryptamines that have been structurally tweaked to be more selective for the receptors involved with vasoconstriction without causing psychedelic or cardiotoxic effects.
lsd acts on the 5ht2a receptor and is known to inhbit the TNF factor which makes it anti-inflammatory.

It’s all very interesting, and was new information, so I thought I’d post it, hoping more knowledgeable folks would weigh in.
Thanks, Uncouplungreversed, for helping to better define in lay terms what they were finding; exactly what was hoped.

Again, I’m resting assured now, that there is something there, but it’s probably so minor to be ignored.
Do you think more follow-up studies will be done, or is this as some claim to be total nonsense?

Unless you're overdosing or taking high daily doses I think you are probably safe. But until there's a human study to really look at it closely hard to say 100% it's not a worthwide concern for some users.

Due to the history of people on LSD who damaged their vision I think it will continue to be studied in some form.