• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Lorazepam vs Xanax

I have a lorazepam prescription. Never took one until last week. Definitely an awkward high, im enjoying it very much, lets me get shit done around the house, and have a good feeling pushing me on. I took 8 1mg pills to feel good. What are you guys dosing?

Both are equally addictive. Both are potent, strong anxiolytics. Alprazolam may be a bit better for panic attacks, but overall lorazepam and alprazolam are equally good anxiolytics. As sedatives, both are relatively weak sedatives but I'd say alprazolam is the slight stronger sedative. Lorazepam is a superior muscle relaxant and a far, far more powerful anticonvulsant.

Recreationally, neither have much in that department in my opinion.

You have to remember that lorazepam is one of the ORIGENAL benzos. It's a classic, that has stood the test of time. And for what it's worth it works well - I found it more effect than Xanax back in the day when I took it for my anxiety disorder. But ymmv of course.

I think a significant part of the hype around Xanax has been created by how much advertising and promotion it has had, both within the medical community and the public (esp when it first came out).

At the end of the day though, your right OP. Whether it's ativan or xanax, 2mg will make me go to sleep/black out. They have the same basic effects. The only difference I can distinguish is that loperazem seems to take about 2x as long as xanax to fully kick in and its antioxylic effect seems to linger a bit longer. But other than half life, imo they're basically more or less gonna produce the same effects, side effects and pose similar addiction potentials (I am kind of tempted to say that I found xanax a little more addictive given it's half life, but I also found ativan addictive so it's kind of moot; HOWEVER, It did take less time for me to become dependent physically on xanax than it did lorazepam - might just be me, but worth noting).

As far as "original benzos" go, here is the timeline of when benzo's came about:

1957 - Chlordiazepoxide
1959 - Diazepam
1961 - Oxazepam
1962 - Nitrazepam
1963 - Bromazepam
1964 - Temazepam
1964 - Nimetazepam
1965 - Flurazepam
1965 - Clorazepate
1966 - Nordazepam
1967 - Prazepam
1968 - Triazolam
1969 - Alprazolam
1969 - Medazepam
1971 - Lorazepam
1972 - Flunitrazepam
1972 - Flutoprazepam
1973 - Clonazepam
1974 - Halazepam
1975 - Quazepam
1976 - Midazolam
1976 - Brotizolam
1976 - Loprazolam
1977 - Camazepam
1978 - Estazolam
1979 - Tetrazepam
1980 - Adinazolam
1983 - Haloxazolam
1984 - Lormetazepam
1986 - Cinolazepam
1988 - Phenazepam

Alprazolam was developed in 1969, while lorazepam came in 1971. :\
Being a "classic" benzo has nothing to do with what year you came, but all 1,4 benzodiazepines are "classic benzos".

Last edited:
Huh, really? Well, I guess I was wrong about that. I should have checked first... can't trust everything your doctor tells you I guess :\ ;)

When my doctor described ativan as he did to me, maybe that had more to do with when it was first marketed in the US or something other than when it was discovered/invented. Who knows...

You guys remember this?
AtivanAd.jpg

TPD, AIM or I shall infract you.

I've been prescribed all of the benzos my insurance covers (which is a lot) and I kinda like lorazepam. It is definitely no xanax, not even close, but people react differently. If ativan works for you, definitely don't start xanax.

You tell me.

There is no reason why your doctor would not be allowed to prescribe alprazolam specifically, but other benzos no problem.

Your doctor simply WONT prescribe it, it's not that they CANT.

Huh, really? Well, I guess I was wrong about that. I should have checked first... can't trust everything your doctor tells you I guess :\ ;)

When my doctor described ativan as he did to me, maybe that had more to do with when it was first marketed in the US or something other than when it was discovered/invented. Who knows...

Believe it or not, some of us here know more about benzodiazepines than our doctors do. Lorazepam was developed and introduced into the market by Wyeth Pharmaceuticals in 1971. It was developed and introduced to the market in the same year, unlike some of the older benzos which took a few years before they were introduced to the market. For example, temazepam was developed in 1964 but wasn't introduced until 1969 and the FDA didn't approve of it until 1981. Diazepam was developed in 1959, but was introduced as Valium in 1963 - 4 years later.

Wikipedia claims lorazepam was introduced in 1977, but that is wrong.

Definitely, and many of us know more about opiates than our doctors as well.

Especially when it comes to things that doctors aren't always taught since they don't always experience it. Like tolerance, bioavailability, onset and duration of action, etc.

Doctors learn from books, we learn from actual first hand experience with drugs (plus we also read and learn). That is why our knowledge of them are at least on par with most doctors. We have something that they can never have - first hand experience with a wide variety of drugs.

Yes xanax is not some mythical benzo don't buy the hype. I would recommend you try both. Its your life, find the medicine that helps you.

Lol. No one is saying it's mythical...he asked a question. Truth is xanx is STRONG. Just short lasting. I personally take kpins anyday of the week. Stronger, and longer lasting.

Lorazepam was the most disappointing benzo I've ever taken, even at 0.5mg sublingually it didn't feel as therapeutically effective as the equivalent 0.25mg Xanax or 5mg Valium.

I find valium to be a cleaner high than xanax. Im still in control but am just chiled out. Xanax is like getting sloppy drunk almost. SLIGHTLY cleaner. SLIGHTLY.

^ Agreed. Valium gives subtle, background anxiolysis, allowing you to get through periods of stress without feeling cognitively impaired. It is also more muscle relaxing than Xanax, addressing symptoms of physical anxiety, such as tense trapezius and shoulder muscles. I also like the long half life of Valium; it doesn't cause any rebound anxiety compared to quick dropoff of Xanax.

I find valium to be a cleaner high than xanax. Im still in control but am just chiled out. Xanax is like getting sloppy drunk almost. SLIGHTLY cleaner. SLIGHTLY.

Definitely true. I've had plenty of experience with Xanax, and 80mg is right, it's like getting sloppy drunk. REALLY sloppy.

To answer the OP's question:

Xanax- Better recreationally
Ativan- Better therapeutically