• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Lorazepam vs Xanax

neutrophilis

Bluelighter
Looking for some educated opinions on the difference between these benzos if thats cool.

Last edited:
After 2mg of Lorazepam, i find much better then diazepam (i hate m) - but yeah i need that punch but my doc wont scribe Aprazolam shes not actually allowed. I must admit though they are working as intended although i did double the dose, i got high tol for most shit.

How is your doctor not allowed to prescribe alprazolam?

Anyways Alprazolam is the best short-acting very potent benzodiazepine. Lorazepam, Diazepam, Clonazepam, none of those do a single thing for me even at insane dosages. Everyone's body is different.

I used to take xanax alot. I would feel great on it.
15 min. after swallowing ... to feel that knot in my belly go away..and
feel no worries. To me it's not any kind of high..but that feeling of no worries in the world..
that is what is addictive to me. To people who live with these symptoms daily, to feel
them go away is like a gift from God.
As I've gotten older, the sedation that used to feel good..mostly just makes me wanna
sleep.
Ativan does work for me at 2mg. I don't feel any kind of sedation or buzz. But it does work for
the very real physical symptoms of anxiety.
Best of luck.
<3token

Yep, unfortunately, it is logical that one becomes addicted to not feeling anxiety, or pain. This adds to what makes benzos and opiates so addicting!

for those with pain (AND Anxiety) like me, who wouldn't want to feel normal again? Even if it comes with a price. It's something most people not in this boat would understand.

I don't find alprazolam or lorazepam to be that different. As for you not liking valium, I think that is common for people that are expecting that "punch" that xanax packs, but over time most people seem to prefer valium over most other benzos. It is great for anxiety, and lasts long so you don't experience periods of anxiety between doses.

When I was younger and would abuse xanax from time to time I didn't like valium much. Now that I strictly use them therapuetically, I find valium to be far superior to xanax in every aspect except for treating panic attacks quickly, or knocking me out easily at night. Instead I find valium to prevent most panic attacks from ever starting, and to treat my anxiety enough that I don't have problems sleeping that much.

Last edited:
Yep, unfortunately, it is logical that one becomes addicted to not feeling anxiety, or pain. This adds to what makes benzos and opiates so addicting!

for those with pain (AND Anxiety) like me, who wouldn't want to feel normal again? Even if it comes with a price. It's something most people not in this boat would understand.

Right, I'm finally to the point where I know I'm unable to make someone understand what they can't.
I used to be angry about it..but it really is like speaking another language. Unless you know what it means..
you won't understand it.
<3token

Alprazolam seems to act more quickly than lorazepam, and it seems to be shorter-acting. Alprazolam is more "palpable" than lorazepam IMO in that you feel the come-on much more noticably. Alprazolam seems to be about twice as potent as lorazepam mg per mg. Frankly, both take care of anxiety, and there are differences, however they are not the kind that would be terribly easy to articulate. Lorazepam is looked at generally as a little safer to rx than alprazolam because of this fear that alprazolam is somehow an ultra-addictive benzo much more abused and addictive than other benzos. Lorazepam is not seen in the same way. Honestly, there is so much hype about alprazolam between the medical community and drug users, I just don't get it. Any benzo will do similar things at the right doses, however, small differences cannot be denied esp. in individual taste.

Yes xanax is not some mythical benzo don't buy the hype. I would recommend you try both. Its your life, find the medicine that helps you.

Alprazolam to get jacked up and feel great. Lorazepam to simply kill anxiety. Lorazepam is also water soluble, so you can snort it, etc.

Regardless of their insolubility in water benzodiazepines can still be snorted. They absorb through the epithelial cells in your mucosal membrane. The reason they are ineffective snorted is because the large amount of binders clog these cells and block the very very small amount of active substance from being able to absorb.

Other than oral admin., the only other really practical and effective ROA is sublingual.

THANK YOU for clarifying that. This is the same reason why suspensions of benzos (specifically meaning pills crushed in a small volume of water) will work rectally despite not actually being dissolved in the water itself.

Alex000 I think you can't understand the "hype" about benzos because (from other posts of yours) I gather your benzo use has always been therapeutic rather than recreational/abusive. Alprazolam's stronger "character" (as many others have said, the onset is unmistakeable) makes it more of an "obvious" narcotic when compared to lorazepam, which comes on slower and with much less effect on motor coordination and sedation, making it easier to place in the background.

I also have to say that on a personal note, while lorazepam is good at relieving niggling, continuing anxiety, it is not as effective as alprazolam (on an equivalent dose) at crushing an unexpected high-anxiety situation. I compare, for example, taking 1mg lorazepam an hour before boarding a plane (I suffer a terrible fear of flying yet often have to) to 0.5mg alprazolam. With the alprazolam I will easily be able to sleep throughout take-off and not freak out during landing, while on lorazepam I might not have an outright anxiety attack but I'd feel on-edge throughout the flight.

That being said, alprazolam withdrawals start sooner than with other benzos IME, and are fucking brutal. For example I'm currently fast-tapering off lorazepam, from 2.5mg daily (in the form of 1.25 2xday) down 0.5mg a week, and am having absolutely no problems. If I were attempting the same with alprazolam the inter-dose WDs alone would be challenging, and I could not go through with it without switching to a longer-acting benzo like diazepam ASAP.

awesome post.

As Weekend Addiction mentioned, i think you must try both, as ya know, the same drug works different from person to person. Most people "vote" for xanax, but i prefer lorazepam (the 2,5mg pills, it doesn't only comes at 1mg and 2mg pills, there are 2,5mg pills as well..), actually in a 10 scale i give 1 to xanax and 8 to lorazepam..but this is for recreational use, xanax has almost nothing recreational use, when lorazepam gives me a "high", kind of euphoria feeling which i like very much. For this reason, lorazepam is a very "abuseable" benzo for me, while xanax is not. But, i say it again, i don' refer to anxiety or sleeping issues, i refer to recreationally use..of course that's just me, and i know that most people are opposite, almost everyone think that xanax is miles better than lorazepam recreationally, it always surprised me...%)

MartinFn

I prefer Ativan over Xanax.......At least to me, Xanax is for when you have serious issues with anxiety & Ativan imo is for mild to moderate anxiety. Xanax is too strong for me........everyones minds & bodies are different so you will have to try Xanax & see which one is better for you. As far as your doctor not being able to prescribe Xanax, that makes no sense but maybe thats the excuse hes using with you so you dont ask him anymore.

I think i can most certainly say that for my situation Loprazepam is for me, ive never tried Xanax but 2mg Lorazepam makes me anxious free without the sedated im fcuked up feeling. Dont fnacy getyting hooked on xanax anyway just didnt see another option but this lorazepam does the trick magically.

THANK YOU for clarifying that. This is the same reason why suspensions of benzos (specifically meaning pills crushed in a small volume of water) will work rectally despite not actually being dissolved in the water itself.

Alex000 I think you can't understand the "hype" about benzos because (from other posts of yours) I gather your benzo use has always been therapeutic rather than recreational/abusive. Alprazolam's stronger "character" (as many others have said, the onset is unmistakeable) makes it more of an "obvious" narcotic when compared to lorazepam, which comes on slower and with much less effect on motor coordination and sedation, making it easier to place in the background.

I also have to say that on a personal note, while lorazepam is good at relieving niggling, continuing anxiety, it is not as effective as alprazolam (on an equivalent dose) at crushing an unexpected high-anxiety situation. I compare, for example, taking 1mg lorazepam an hour before boarding a plane (I suffer a terrible fear of flying yet often have to) to 0.5mg alprazolam. With the alprazolam I will easily be able to sleep throughout take-off and not freak out during landing, while on lorazepam I might not have an outright anxiety attack but I'd feel on-edge throughout the flight.

That being said, alprazolam withdrawals start sooner than with other benzos IME, and are fucking brutal. For example I'm currently fast-tapering off lorazepam, from 2.5mg daily (in the form of 1.25 2xday) down 0.5mg a week, and am having absolutely no problems. If I were attempting the same with alprazolam the inter-dose WDs alone would be challenging, and I could not go through with it without switching to a longer-acting benzo like diazepam ASAP.

I use benzos therapeutically and recreationally. For me it often goes hand in hand. I can certainly appreciate alprazolam's kick, but it is not a magical benzo more addictive than the rest. Just because alprazolam has a kick doesn't mean it is especially recreational or addictive relative to other benzos IMO. I am growing to like it more recently, and have chosen it as a PRN over lorazepam.