• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Loperamide withdrawal is hell on earth

Not to be a Debbie downer but the reality of detoxing from Lope is pretty intense and withdrawal can last up to eight weeks and that’s even with a taper. Tapering will make the withdrawal less intense but it still seems to go on forever. In higher doses it could take 96 hours before peak withdraws even start. Nothing about it is worth it. I know this post is older so I really hope you were able to get through it. Best wishes
Ya I can't do tapers man. I just want to face the demon and get it over with. I can't stand making the withdrawal last longer. I got clean eventually. It was a bitch but I did it. Was sober for about 2 months and then I started using again and now I'm even worse off than before. I'm trying again currently and it honestly feels twice as bad. This is hell seriously. I'm an idiot. I just feel so bored and hopeless without getting high. I have pretty serious depression and anxiety.

Ya I can't do tapers man. I just want to face the demon and get it over with. I can't stand making the withdrawal last longer. I got clean eventually. It was a bitch but I did it. Was sober for about 2 months and then I started using again and now I'm even worse off than before. I'm trying again currently and it honestly feels twice as bad. This is hell seriously. I'm an idiot. I just feel so bored and hopeless without getting high. I have pretty serious depression and anxiety.
Just never stop trying. Maybe you will succeed next time. It happens to the best of us.

Stay strong.

Oh man, tell me about it. I went through it back in 2016 and it was a nightmare.

It has such an insanely long half-life, it takes 48 hours before the effects even wear off. I can only imagine how long the metabolites remain in your system for.

I was finally able to taper off very slowly, from 400mg every other day down to about 20mg, before finally taking the plunge and quitting altogether. It took me months though, and I "cheated" a few times with things like moderate doses of Percocet.

It's the best decision I ever made though, because high doses are extremely cardiotoxic. You don't even OD on it in the conventional sense; your heart rhythm just goes haywire and you die instantly.

Hope you're feeling better,
Dreamflyer

Oh man, tell me about it. I went through it back in 2016 and it was a nightmare.

It has such an insanely long half-life, it takes 48 hours before the effects even wear off. I can only imagine how long the metabolites remain in your system for.

I was finally able to taper off very slowly, from 400mg every other day down to about 20mg, before finally taking the plunge and quitting altogether. It took me months though, and I "cheated" a few times with things like moderate doses of Percocet.

It's the best decision I ever made though, because high doses are extremely cardiotoxic. You don't even OD on it in the conventional sense; your heart rhythm just goes haywire and you die instantly.

Hope you're feeling better,
Dreamflyer
Jesus 400mg must have been hell. I was doing 72-96 a day. It took me like 3 tries but I finally got clean. It wouldn't be as bad if it wasn't so dragged out. The third time I was coming off less and it wasn't as bad. I found out DXM works really well for opiate withdrawal. Combine that with clonodine and weed and I think it's the best concoction for withdrawal. I feel like if I didn't quit I was going to have a heart attack. I was noticing palpitations and just weird feelings where my heart is. I don't know how people survived that were taking way more than I was.

Loperamide freaks me out.
I use to use it in between heroin binges & it would sort of help.
But one day my heart started beating all funny & erratic while I was just sitting there on my bedroom floor.
Some times it would actually make me feel euphoric & high but it would immediately disappear after a half an hour (assuming maybe it got pumped right back out of my brain). This has only happened like 1 or two times out of hundreds of experiences with it.

In the end, it's not worth it. You might catch a buzz if you're lucky or you might not or you might just up & drop dead.
I know how desperation feels though. I've actually recently tried doing loperamide again but I felt absolutely nothing.

People do know that sufficient loperamide will overload the ATP-binding cassette? That will mean the body cannot remove any other toxins that make their way into the brain. We don't have sufficient data to know what chronic loperamide uses long term outcomes might be. But I think we harbour some serious concerns.

Wow..other than once over a decade ago or so I've only taken about 15mg because one time I had the tablets and took a lot idk how many but probably a few blister packs worth and it was bad it as a very dirt high and sick feeling. And yes I felt a slight high since I was in withdrawal and younger also extreme dosage but sooo not worth it. To hear other people doing it often seems crazy but guess not anymore than other hard drugs although less is more with the other stuff.

Wow..other than once over a decade ago or so I've only taken about 15mg because one time I had the tablets and took a lot idk how many but probably a few blister packs worth and it was bad it as a very dirt high and sick feeling. And yes I felt a slight high since I was in withdrawal and younger also extreme dosage but sooo not worth it. To hear other people doing it often seems crazy but guess not anymore than other hard drugs although less is more with the other stuff.
It always made me feel great, especially if I was already withdrawaling. It's not on the level of H or oxycodone or anything but I don't see how it could make you feel bad unless it was heart issues. It always gave me energy and motivation as well as a slight mood increase. You didn't take very much. You were probably still in withdrawal.

I was about 1-2 boxes and the first time felt good but the second got severe stomache pain and a real dirty feeling high idk why.

I was about 1-2 boxes and the first time felt good but the second got severe stomache pain and a real dirty feeling high idk why.
Gel caps? I know if you take a box of those on an empty stomach it will give you the worst stomach pain you've ever had. Like the kind you can feel in your back. Doesn't last long though. I genuinely really liked the drug, even recreationally. Like ya it's not anywhere near as good as other stuff but if it's all you can get at the time it still keeps you feeling decent and it's cheap.

Careful with your heart OP, those are big dosages of loperamide and IME, you shouldn't take it for more than a week maximum. Since that's the medication used to ameliorate opiate wd symptoms, the only way is to taper your dosage and go cold turkey from it. Some gabapentin/pregabalin might help with the wd symptoms BUT don't take em for more than a week or you'll just replace one addiction to another one. Good luck.

If used at the range given by the PIL, I'm sure it's quite safe, but I'm also sure Janssen only ever discovered the analgesic dose i.e. x615 the antidiarrheal dose, nothing more than single, small study exists.

I got the green ones from Walmart when they sold them in bottles of 200. Now you can only get blister packs of something like 24 that are almost impossible to open!

I hate tapers give me a few days of hell than weeks of general misery! Can I ask why did you start taking lope as opposed to other opiates - it doesn't sound as good? Those are mental toxic doses considering max anti diarrhoea medicinal dose is 16mg I believe. Just a bit of advice from one whos been there re: boredom and hopelessness. It takes real work to break through those feelings like physical and mental effort - the best cure for PAWS for me personally was to hit the gym and start doing things I never would while on opes even though you don't really feel like it. I still feel bored at times though - I guess once you've flown over the rainbow everyday life can feel a bit dull!

I didn't know you could get high from them I thought they only helped cover withdrawal, I was always too afraid to fuck with it and rode out being dope sick because I figured the constipation would be unbearable, doesn't it hurt your gut taking large doses?

So many people have told me that the very longest you should use loperamide is for 7 days. Less if you habit isn't large. At a dose of 24mg you separate the physical and psychological effects BUT any longer and you wind up hooked on a toxic compound that produces an even more unpleasant and protracted withdrawal.

From an 800mg/day codeine habit, I just took a box (12) and wend to bed for 5 days. The depression still hit me full on, but given the long T½ of loperamide and it's volume of distribution, it provided more or less a linear drop in the amount of the stuff in my body.

You got high, you had your fun, now you have to pay. Their is no way around that, I'm afraid.

So many people have told me that the very longest you should use loperamide is for 7 days. Less if you habit isn't large. At a dose of 24mg you separate the physical and psychological effects BUT any longer and you wind up hooked on a toxic compound that produces an even more unpleasant and protracted withdrawal.

From an 800mg/day codeine habit, I just took a box (12) and wend to bed for 5 days. The depression still hit me full on, but given the long T½ of loperamide and it's volume of distribution, it provided more or less a linear drop in the amount of the stuff in my body.

You got high, you had your fun, now you have to pay. Their is no way around that, I'm afraid.
Very true well put!

I got the green ones from Walmart when they sold them in bottles of 200. Now you can only get blister packs of something like 24 that are almost impossible to open!
Ya it's sad but I got really good at opening those with a sharp pocket knife

I didn't know you could get high from them I thought they only helped cover withdrawal, I was always too afraid to fuck with it and rode out being dope sick because I figured the constipation would be unbearable, doesn't it hurt your gut taking large doses?
It definitely clogs you up. I was even taking miralax and was still shitting like once every 3 days. Keep in mind I was taking way less than most people who take this stuff daily too. The withdrawal is weird in that the diarrhea doesn't kick in untill all the other symptoms have already started to subside. Then you'll shit your pants for like a week while actually not feeling nearly as bad otherwise.