• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Loperamide (Imodium) Megathread v. 2

^^trip407,

Please do some research on taking high doses of loperamide. Very high and prolonged doses can cause heart problems and death. It has happened to people on this site.

I have taken more than usual, I dint think ever more than 20mg at a time, and it does indeed help with more than just bowel issues during withdrawal.

Since I've learned more, I don't take more than like 12mg at a time/per day. Even then, I make sure I only duo this for the first few days. I also drink liquid magnesium citrate, an easy to find laxative, while on moderate doses of lope. The magnesium (amd potassium, took, is good) keeps your electrolytes in better balance in addition to preventing fecal impaction, which itself can be deadly, or leave you with a colostomy bag.

Theres a website with a great drug interactions checker as well, so.check....I'm not sure if I afm allowed to mention that site, but if you google "drug interactions checker" it's typically the first result for me, in the USA, anyway. Remember though it's not a substitute for professional medical advice; you can call a pharmacist, or the nurse hotline at a hospital for advice just so you know. Even these, however, are certainly no substitution for a chat with an actual doctor knowledgeable about your issues.

Please note I'm not a medical professional and you shouldn't take my words as solid, perfect, or as a guideline for what is safe. I'm relating my own personal experience only, amd adding that you should definitely do research before taking high doses of loperamide.

It's certainly helpful for diarrhea, which while in withdrawal can leave your electrolytes imbalanced, leave you dehydrated, and thats not good, of course, as you want you stay nourished, balanced nutritionally, and hydrated during wd....and always, truly.

My post directly above yours mentions the heart problems loperamide cam cause.

Be careful, inform yourself, use the search function here maybe with terms like "loperamide (or imodium, or whatever the brand name is in your area of the world) dangers" - "loperamide heart problems" etc.

On google, you might try search terms like "loperamide heart problems death" - "is taking high doses of loperamide safe" - "loperamide high doses risks dangers" - "loperamide fecal impaction" eyc.

Good luck to you, be safe and be well. Peace.

EDIT: To answer your question, in my own personal experience, it hadn't prolonged my withdrawals and has been helpful in reasonable doses. But, keep in mind I haven't taken a fuck-ton of it (usually - took moire than described above like once, then learned about heart dangers and never did again), & if needed I use magnesium citrate to help prevent impaction.....if you are a2hr point already where you are clearly backed up and are nervous about it, go to a medical professional; if you refuse, at least try drinking 1/2-1.bottle of it to get the bowels moving and out of your body ). If you are using the liquid magnesium citrate as a preventative for fecal impaction, a god swig or two a day should be helpful (guessing 1-2 ounces). I take it at night and wake up able to go, or, in extreme cases where iver needed most/all of the bottle (I.experience a condition called.gastroparesis because of a pre-existing health condition) I'll just say this: make sure your morning and possibly even early afternoon are free of duties (lol...I'm so immature.....of course I'm thinking "doodies" and laughing at the unintended pun....bc I'm an ADULT. DAMN IT.) because it is QUITE EFFECTIVE lol.

As a side note, magnesium citrate (magnesium oxide, typically silks as tablets, is essentially useless, but that doesn't stop companies from making money from our ignorance and trust in them...) is a muscle relaxant and helps with spasms/contractions. Calcium, while excellent for you, needs to ber in balance with magnesium in the body as calcium causes the opposite, contraction of the muscles.

Potassium, as I mentioned earlier, I'd also great for muscle cramps and spasms, and is god to taker for that especially if you have also lost your electrolyte balance due to excessive diarrhea.

AGAIN, I'M NOT A PROFESSIONAL AND THIS I'D MY EXPERIENCE ONLY. CONSULT A MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL AND DO YOUR RESEARCH.

Last edited:
Don't worry AbetterWay, i will only use when necessary , against diarrhoea 2mg in the morning.

I detect a hint of sarcasm. Are my thoughts here not warranted?
Apologies however if your not being sarcastic. My sarcky detector has been playing up lately.

SSML

If I had to guess by my minimal interactions with said member, and by reading their posts, I'd say they aren't being sarcastic at all.

They seem to me to be a very direct person who has zero problems telling it like it is, so my vote is for "not sarcastic".

;)
Peace.

As another datapoint, my best friend died of a Loperamide overdose. He'd been on Oxy, got clean, then thought he could use an OTC so that he could say he wasn't using. Killed him within a month. Heart just stopped in the middle of the night.

As another datapoint, my best friend died of a Loperamide overdose. He'd been on Oxy, got clean, then thought he could use an OTC so that he could say he wasn't using. Killed him within a month. Heart just stopped in the middle of the night.

Very sorry to hear that. A loss of a friend is a horrible thing. I hope you can find peace some day.

That's actually much different from an opiate overdose, but it's definitely from overuse of lope.

Sorry for your loss

Speaking of lope, a poor fella crapped himself in the local supermarket this morn, & left a trail to prove it. He may have benefitted from some lol.

@sadfriend, I am so, so, sorry for your loss. Grieving your best friend, you wouldn't wish it on your worst enemy.

I both sympathise & empathise as I just lost my best friend ystrdy. I don't think the reality has hit me yet...

Rtp

Last edited:
Omg wow, getting a pacemaker so you can keep taking a harmful amount of a substance. That is definitely some Methadone loyalty right there.

I have found that high doses of imodium do help but its hella sucks when u cnt shit for days :'(
Listening to music however as weird as it sounds helps amazingly with distracting from the pain

I've found the optimum/maximum for me to be 60mg. When I finally "discovered" loperamide 'oh happy days! " Thanks Bluelight!
It makes withdrawal almost non existent - even from silly morphine binges.

Interestingly I've found that doses of 100mg or more give a mild buzz.

The constipation is easily remedied with magnesium citrate. I'd stay away from the more prevalent forms like magnesium oxide, which is garbage and barely absorbed at all.

I've been having a lot of trouble reducing my lope dependency. I was on suboxone for 2-3 years (after years of being on either central opioid agonists or lope), and when I quit late last year I jumped on to the lope to manage the withdrawal. Half a year later, I've managed to taper down to 12mg/day, but some days am feeling so scatty I end up taking more. I started at 24mg/day. I'm not sure at what kind of doses and length of use the dreaded 'prolonged QT interval' comes in to play, but just knowing that is motivating me to be free of it. Constipation is never a problem at any dose as I don't have a colon...I would be OK with taking 4mg a day indefinitely, because the beneficial effect it has on my bowels can not be understated, but at my current dose, if I'm even 4 hours late on my daily dose I feel shitty af.
Oddly enough (or not) one of the reasons I went into a suboxone program was because I had become dependent on lope, unable to manage a taper.

Do not use high dose loperamide to maintain, please, suboxone is much safer. Any sort of long term high dose loperamide use appears to lead to serious cardiac troubles causing possible sudden death.

https://madmargaret.wordpress.com/2...learinghouse-password-protected-see-comments/

Loperamide in high doses is very cardio toxic and will kill you eventually.

Yeah 800mg/day will definitely kill anyone lol. I don't think anybody on this forum has gone that far, from what I've read. The highest dose I've seen was around 200-400mg in one day for YEARS and they've lived to tell about it. In the sense of safety, obviously nobody who is opiate naive, obese, out of shape (as far as cardio) or has history of heart ailments should go anywhere near those doses.

I'm going to try this today, because I'm bored and depressed, got arrested for shoplifting, missed my court date, now my license is suspended for a month. Very frustrating, and yes I know it's 100% my fault.

Let me know what you think, will the DXM increase euphoria?

Taking two 200mg capsules of black pepper

150mg/DXM (robogels) (I have an insanely high tolerance to DXM, abused it for years, but not so much lately...tolerance still high, though)

80-90mg Lope

edit:

Consumed all stated above, 80mg Lope. Not opiate naive, used to do bags every once in a while for a couple years but never had a "heroin habit." Still, oxy's and percs barely do anything unless I take a high dose (like 90mg of Oxy will give me a nice buzz).

Will be smoking some weed, and hopefully I will still be around to post an update in a few hours. Btw 150mg of DXM will absolutely not give me much of a buzz at all, so if I DO feel anything, it's not just the DXM.

UPDATE

+3:00
Still alive! Feeling just a mild, warm buzz, had some minor stomach gurgling but honestly no discomfort. Took some magnesium citrate, 800mg to combat constipation at least a little and hopefully prevent some issues, which it seems to have done. Just been chilling playing StarCraft II and watching Martin Shkreli videos. My mood and anxiety are definitely improved, I actually texted my dad, which I am normally much too anxious and paranoid to do because we have a shit relationship. Want to dose more lope but staying on the safe side and will not.

UPDATE

+12:00

Still feeling very nice and warm, buzzed, relaxed. Took 1mg of klonopin at around +8:00. Drank one beer. Smoked some weed. Feeling nice and mood is definitely higher than it is on sober days, or days when I just smoke weed.

Also have had zero issues with constipation, I have made 2 bowel movements today, while on the lope, after taking 45 pills...that magnesium citrate seems to surely do the job.

UPDATE
+25:00

Next day, apprx 24 hours after initial dose. Still feeling nice, having no intestinal issues, made another bowel movement this morning thanks to (I assume) my consumption of the magnesium citrate.

Last edited:
Really? Is God a sadist? Or did you mean Physicist, lol?

What goes up MUST come down...would happy times be so good if not for pain? Would the sunshine be so nice, if not for rain?

You gotta take the good with the bad, bud, and if you can't abide by that then you got no business doing ANY drugs...or anything for that matter, because, well it's just part of life, pain & suffering...and you'll either survive it and come out alright on the flipside, or you'll give up when it gets bad.

The choice is yours, man, and I don't mean to sound like a pompous ass, lol, that's just the way I've always looked at it.. God didn't make me do opiates I used my free will, and I wanted to use them...in retrospect, should I have thought that thru a little bit more?
I think maybe most of us should've, but I don't regret it.

lol did you really get mad because he jokingly said "God is a sadist?" How about God isn't even real, and was the idea was invented to keep people in line and control large groups? And to help people with drug addiction have something to be hopeful for, even though it is false and a lie?

I wouldn't try to mess with lope recreationally. We have some wickedly bad lope addiction stories here on BL. Combining it with other depressants is an especially bad idea. Lope can be especially easy to OD on when taking megadoses because there's a very sharp tipping point between little to none crossing the BBB and all of it crossing the BBB

http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/787926-The-LOPERAMIDE-diaries/page16

Thanks for reiterating what should be obvious Slow Mobius. Lope is an anti-diahhreal and withdrawal aid, not a megadosed recreational drug. Dependence potential cant be overstated, my case in point being dependant on some amount for far too long.

So im a meth guy, but I've advised maybe a dozen people with opiate habits about Lopermide...none have even tried it. I finally got the explanation...girl told me "I'd rather be sick than not high."
That's pretty heavy, to say the least.