• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Loperamide (Imodium) Megathread v. 2

All this drug has ever done was not give me massive diarrhea has no good opiate or euphoric effects.

Did you read this thread? Or even this page? .0001% people here think you can actually get 'high' on loperamide. (when I say high I mean a traditional morphine high).

The rest think they're dumb.

Well thanks for the replies. I was just terrified that if I dumped the lope when I got my script, if still experience withdrawals from the lope. 1 1/2 weeks at around 30mgs a day isn't heroically huge, but it isn't small either. And the reason I've stayed on it that long is, I'm usually batshit crazy for about that long after withdrawals start. Different people's bodies, different people's chemistry. I think that's why some people say it does nothing for their withdrawals besides take care of the runs. Either that, or they aren't taking a high enough dose for their bodies. All speculation, of course. As for people wanting to get high off of it, I certainly wouldn't try. I've read anecdotes where people say the would much rather withdraw off of buprenorphine or methadone than the nasty withdrawals lope gives you. They say they're long too. On another note, I've just been out of the loop for way too long to even know where to get some bupe or something like that. It's really not an option. Anyway, IMO, I discourage anyone trying to abuse lope to get high. I know that will recieve a few, but not all snickers because after all, it's fun to get high right? Well yeah. For a while. Until you find yourself dependent, elevated tolerance, and no means to get more of whatever you are using. Or, you could find yourself in my shoes with the added part of extreme legitimate pain to the equation. I just want nothing more than to feel normal, pain included. I guess that goes for all opiates really. But everyone here is hopefully big boys and girls who will do what they will.

Loperamide is nothing short of amazing. I was a skeptic, but there's no denying its effectiveness. It's the only drug I can think of where an opiate dependant person in withdrawal and an opiate naive person could take the same dose and feel the exact same way, that is normal. Every other substance that would alleviate my withdrawal would have an opiate naive person high as a kite. Incredible.

Another thing I'll add is loperamide seems to diminish my cravings (to a degree). I use it to bridge the gap between running out of my hydrocodone and getting my refill. I have to save a few pills to take before going to the doctor so I "pass" a drug test. Even though it's very important that I save some pills, we all know how hard it is not to take something if we have it and the kind of mental gymnastics we'll go through to justify using. However, the loperamide keeps me just content enough to where I'm not overly tempted to take the last of my pills.

Last edited:
It does diminish craving and is awesome, but I sure wouldn't say you feel the "exact" same as an opioid naive person.

The only way I can taper lope is with stimulants so I don't feel dead. Luckily I binge on stimulants but once I sleep it off I can go months without a second thought.

Thank god all my connects (except for BTH which I would only accept for free...) are gone pretty much and I have no intention of searching.

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to give my own personal experience with lopermide. In my experience, most people are completely unaware of lop and they truly believe you can't get high off it or that it won't help with withdraws. I have a lot of experience with lopermide, and I can tell you 100% that it works, it works extremely well for withdraws and it gets you high. However, as most people have said, lopermide does not cross the blood brain barrier very well. It's extremely small %, around 5-10% or so. So I can completely understand why if not everyone would completely write off lopermide as a useful medication for withdraws or getting high.

Some of you may ask, how in the world are you getting any benefit from lopermide if it doesn't cross the blood brain barrier? Well, from my own personal experience the only way to make lopermide worthwhile is to actually make sure lopermide crosses the blood brain barrier. What? How is that possible? It's actually extremely easy, which is why most people write it off really quickly without realizing how easy it is to make lopermide cross the blood brain barrier. The way I make lopermide work is by drinking 4-5 fluid ounces of GRAPE FRUIT JUICE. This is extremely important, if you aren't aware, grape fruit juice actually allows lopermide to hitch a ride with the molecules of Grape Fruit and therefore, it actually allows lopermide to cross the blood brain barrier with ease.

Some people have suggested that you need to take over 100mg to feel anything from lopermide. That is completely wrong and not true at all, if you drink 4-5 fluid ounces of grape fruit juice and then take 15-20 2mg pills of lopermide, for a total dose of 30-40mg, you will start to feel the high of lopermide. From my own experience, it takes about 30-45 minutes to kick in and the best part of all, is that the high feeling actually lasts for over 12 hours. I'm serious, it's extremely long lasting and the withdraws will go away for at least 12-24 hours. Although, if you are on a extremely high dose of pain killers then lopermide may not be as effective and you may have to take a dose every 12 hours until about the third day. Once you are on day 3, the lopermide should keep the withdraws at bay for 24 hours to 36 hours. Once a week goes by, you can easily notice a huge difference in the withdraws and you have basically tapered yourself off pain killers. It's an amazing cheap and most of all LEGAL medication.

Now some of you may be concerned about bathroom issues, well for starters, there's really no difference between lopermide and pain killers, they both cause bathroom issues but if you drink miralax and use an enema, you will easily go to the bathroom. It only becomes a problem if you let your bathroom issues get worse by not going to the bathroom for weeks.

Anyway, if you have any questions please post on this post and I will response. I'm happy to help out if anyone has concerns.

blah blah blah "loperamide gets you high"

Please describe this "high" in detail. Like morphine? Oxy? Even bupe or methadone? No.

A fucked up unpleasant weird dirty feeling that is reminiscent of peripheral opioid effects? Yeah.

Go huff CO2 until you're real lightheaded... bet you feel "high."

You have four posts, you should look back through this thread and keep in mind that a non-tolerant less informed younger kid read a post probably like yours and tried this "high" out. He's no longer alive.

Actually, the high is very like morphine because I'm actually on morphine. However, the whole point of taking loperamide is not to get high but to prevent withdraws. You may not agree with the information I posted but you do realize that if someone wants to get high, they will and there are a million ways for them to find out how. As for people who are non-tolerant, then yes they should be careful but I have never heard of anyone OD'ing on 20-30mg of loperamide, the people I have seen and read about who died from loperamide, took an extreme amount, like three times as much as I was suggesting.

Anyway, like others have said and myself, you really should only take loperamide for withdraws. For me, I only used loperamide for 3-4 days at a time and then I stopped because it was no longer necessary.

Lope is good for withdrawal.. any discussion of using lope for a high should be shut down lol.

Last edited:
blah blah blah "loperamide gets you high"

Please describe this "high" in detail. Like morphine? Oxy? Even bupe or methadone? No.

A fucked up unpleasant weird dirty feeling that is reminiscent of peripheral opioid effects? Yeah.

You have four posts, you should look back through this thread and keep in mind that a non-tolerant less informed younger kid read a post probably like yours and tried this "high" out. He's no longer alive.

^^^Yeah, whatever that feeling is, it sucks and is no kind of high. In fact, I felt some weird pressure in my head before and it worried me. WTF? People think that's a "high"? It's good for withdrawal and for non opiate abusing people who have diarrhea.

I never take anything with loperamide and it works just fine. I have zero interest in trying to get high from it and I won't judge those who do, but the way I look at it is our brains don't want it in there for a reason. Personally I think the fact that it doesn't readily cross the BBB is what makes it uniquely great.

Actually, the high is very like morphine .

Then you either are one or all of the following:

1. Are extremely damaged and have no BBB (though it would still stuck ass. NOTHING FEELS LIKE MORPHINE...H but it is a prodrug and is still different)
2. Are being sold loperamide as morphine... a possibility if you truly believe that statement. (see 4)
3. LOVE FUCKING INHALANTS AND HUFFING PAINT
4. Are stupid.

Ok. I have read (and re-read) EVERY post about loperamide on the internet. Here's my opinion based on experience.

I took 60mg of omeprazole (a php-inhibitor) 1 hour prior to taking loperamide. I drank a Monster Energy Rehab drink which contains quercetin, which reportedly helps lope cross the blood brain barrier. Also, I took 2 garlic supplements (another pgp-inhibitor). I did not see the point in drinking tonic water, as it is quinidine, not quinine, that is a pgp-inhibitor. Then, I took 60mg of generic loperamide.

I should also add that I am prescribed morphine oral, 90mg a day. My tolerance is much higher than that, but I've avoided becoming overly physically dependent on it by tapering and skipping days every so often. Some days I take more, some days less. It takes at least 90mg for analgesia, and to get a "buzz," I would need to take at least 120mg all at once, but can also handle over 200mg. When I do take breaks, the only withdrawal symptoms I get are a mild case of "the runs," and some cold sweating & heat sensitivity.

So, last month, I ran out of my script a few days early (except for a few pills I had to save to take before the urine test at my pain clinic). I was in pain, obviously, and experiencing some gastrointestinal discomfort and some cold sweats. I decided to give the loperamide thing a try. I knew from past experience that taking 3x's the normal dose would stop the runs, so I was curious to see if, in higher doses, it would help with the sweating and mild craving, or perhaps even the pain. I did not expect to "feel" them other than that, so the bar was set very low. A few hours went by, and I had pretty much given up on any effects, although my stomach was better and my body temperature seemed more regular. Then, about 3 hours later, I was in my car, and all of the sudden, I started feeling a bit of that opiod glow. Nothing SUPER intense, but definitely there. I would describe it as similar to the way tramadol makes me feel. Kind of comes in little waves, but you feel content, and a bit of a body buzz. I also noticed I was in less pain. I am pretty confident this was not a placebo, as at that point, I had given up on feeling any CNS effects and was not even thinking about it at all. After that, I did decide to take only 15mg of instant release morphine, which normally would do absolutely nothing for me other than prevent diarrhea of a few hours. Again, to my surprise, this very small amount of MS seemed to have a synergistic/potentiating effect with the loperamide.

I repeated this experiment again a few days later, this time, taking tramadol a few hours after. Once again, it certainly seemed that that pgp inhibitors definitely allowed some of the lope to cross the BBB, and the lope definitely potentiated tramadol, which by itself, does absolutely nothing for me. Normally, on days where I skip or take very little of my pain meds, I am not able to do much at all, as I have degenerative disc disease with herniated discs, permanent nerve damage, and severe arthritis in every joint (and I'm only 34!). I was astonished that I was able to do a little grocery shopping, and even socialize with a friend for a little while without being in agony. Again, I HIGHLY doubt this was placebo, as I had extreme doubt about the whole thing. In fact, I've actually done experiments with friends in the past to see if placebos worked on me (I won't get into specifics, but I took a pill knowing that it might be real or not). Each time I ended up with the "sugar pill," I felt absolutely nothing.

Today, I have done this whole thing again, and getting the same results. I know everyone's system is different, but I do believe there is definite validity. One should be very careful, however, not to do this too often, or to take ridiculous amounts of lope because there are reports of overdoses & heart failure when taken in extreme amounts.

I've also taken buprenorphine for pain management in the past, and in a way, doing lope with this method kind of reminds of that.

Last edited:
I'm going to elaborate of the pharmacos of loperamide a bit here. For the unenlightened.

Loperamide is a mu-agoinst - TRUE.
Loperamide is psychoactive - FALSE *at recommended doses*
Loperamide readily crosses the blood brain barrier - FALSE
Loperamide can stop diarrhea with very small doses - TRUE
Loperamide in fucking massive doses may pass the blood brain barrier and get you high *maybe* - TRUE (decided to humor the believers)

Can you see where I'm going with this?
Small dose of loperamide = stops the shits.
Small doses of loperamide = will never get you high
Massive doses = may get you high.
Massive doses = paralytic ileus.

Paralytic ileus can result in tissue death and necrosis, leading to gangrene.

Not to mention the fact that loperamide can cause V.fib in these doses. Especially when combined with other stuff like cimetidine. We have had this actually happen to a bluelight who has spent several weeks in the ICU. I am currently unaware of his status. He had to be cardioverted multiple times.

But hey, if you guys wanna go fucking kill yourselves or walk around with a shit bag attached to your abdominal wall for the rest of your lives. Be my fucking guest.
LOPERIMIDE DOES CROSS THE BBB BUT IMMIDIETLY IS PUSHED BACK BY P-glyco protein. Pgp can b inhibited very easily by many things or overwhelmed. Boom it is now psych active . It gets me 100 % well but the buzz is uncomfortable.
The constipation caused by it is NO GREATER THEN ANY OTHER OPIATE. IN FACT ITS EFFECTS IN THAT REGARD ARE VERY SIMILAR TO MORPHINE . METHADONE AND SUBOXONE WERE MUCH WORSE IN THAT REGARD.

Meh, I'm a big fan of Lope, actually, but it has to be said that the GI effects are major with repeated dosing (6 days between BM) Not as bad as most would assume, 'you're never gonna shit again!', but still a concern.

@LITS: do you have a link to a thread about the Vent. Fib./ICU patient?

Another thing I'll add (and this may have been discussed in this thread already) is loperamide dependence happens REALLY fast and it also spikes your tolerance. I recently used it for 5 straight days which is the longest I'd ever done. On the the 6th day I felt ok but the next day I experienced some withdrawal. I know it was from the loperamide because it felt a bit different than hydrocodone withdrawal, and in the past when I've gone long stretches without hydro, most of the physical symptoms are gone by day 7. On the 8th day I took 40 mgs of hydro I had saved to take before going to the doctor and I thought since it had been over a week since my last dose I would really feel them. Wrong! I barely felt anything! It took 4-5 days of taking the hydro until I felt normal taking them. I was shocked at how much the loperamide increased my tolerance.

so what im getting out of this is for my H withdrawal, I should take 16mg of lope, split into two doses during the day? Or should I take 16mg twice a day for a total of 32mg?

First time i took lope i drank a shit ton of grapefruit juice and ate 98 mg while withdrawing from iv heroin , got well and a little high for sure, i have tried dissolving under my tongue but it dont seem to work well, today i took 48 mg to prevent wd and it seems to work but my skin still crawls at times, thats the thing i cant stand