• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Loperamide (Imodium) Megathread v. 2

I'd take a gram a day at first, then maybe 600-800mg a day for a while.

You should really invest in some WGJ though, cimetidine seems to lose effectiveness on it's own(YMMV)

Just be careful or you'll end up with CNS effects from it, though!

Ok so yeah, this is day 3: 1mg cimetidine + 36mg loperamide (18 pills), I'm going down 1 Lope a day to make sure it's a slow taper (read a lot of bad stuff about being on lope for too long), I am going to get some WGJ very soon.

I think maybe I'll take 600mg CMI a day for a while (With the WGJ) and then JUMP back up to 1 gram (when I don't use WGJ) then whatever so my body doesn't get use to it, any comments on this?

Also, man, I don't care what anyone says I am feeling a body buzz but it is very unpleasant. It's MUCH MUCH better than w/ds but it's like I'm REALLY heavy and just "cloudy" headed... or that just could be from the alprazolam (1mg) I took a couple hours ago. No the body heaviness is definitely from the lope and I can feel some analgesic effects, I've been sitting on the floor (half lotus/full lotus switching back and forth) in front of my laptop and it usually makes my back cramp (I DGAF) but right now I don't feel the pain... it is there, beneath the surface (like if I stretch really hard or twist weird it's there) wish I had a muscle relaxer, a valium would be much nicer than all these alprazolam I have.

I hope my posts are not becoming spammy but I just can't believe the relief I am feeling.

I was a SUPER skeptic of the loperamide hypothesis...theory...whatever, I took 40 (80mg) of lope hopeing to cure my withdrawals and had no success...

IT IS ALL IN THE CIMETIDINE (the p-glycoprotein inhibitor!!) I have survived the first 3 days of my heroin detox (I was using .5-1 gram a day of decent black, smoking)
It's... mind boggling... I feel nearly fine, besides the craving and minor anxiety and depression (my girlfriend just left me because of my using so let's chalk it to that)

Seriously, all those suffering from opiate/opioid addiction and afraid of the withdrawals (I know I am... was!) this easy to use OTC medication which is cheap here in the US is AT YOUR DISPOSAL TO SAVE YOURSELF!!

You don't even need to wait to get sick, I dosed the concoction the night before I knew my withdrawals would kick in and just estimated my dosage from past usages (I once took 30mg-15pills after the 1 gram of cmi and I felt 45% better) and BAM! now I'm tapering a pill a day damn.

Yeah, this is what I figured out too. I had a post a week ago or so asking about the difference between brand vs generic. Well, the reason I failed the last time I did this (3rd time) was because I didn't take my usual 40-60mg dose of Omeprazole. Never even thought about it as my limited research told me it was really just if you wanted to cross the BBB.

Anyway, you're absolutely right. Without that PPI, it's not doing anything for ya aside from keeping the diarrhea at bay.

Syncope and Recurrent Polymorphic Ventricular Tachycardia Following Loperamide Misuse
Jeanna M Marraffa1, Michael G Holland1, Ross W Sullivan1, Robert Seabury1, Michael J Hodgman1 1Upstate Medical University, Syracuse NY USA
Introduction: We report three episodes in two adults of recurrent polymorphic ventricular tachycardia (PMVT) following loperamide abuse.
Case 1: A 43 year old female was admitted following syncope and PMVT. She reported ingestion of 140 tablets daily of loperamide 2 mg to prevent opioid withdrawal. She had recurrent PMVT requiring dozens of defibrillations, multiple medications including lidocaine, amiodarone, sodium bicarbonate and magnesium, and eventually required transvenous pacemaker for sustained control.
Cardiac catheterization was normal. There were no further episodes of PMVT and the patient was discharged well on day 5. Electrocardiogram (ECG) was normal with a normal QT interval. A serum loperamide level was sent however was not reported due to laboratory error.
Case 2: A 28 year old male with a history of Crohn's disease and depression was admitted following syncope and recurrent PMVT. His initial ECG revealed a QTc interval of 509 msec. He was treated with amiodarone and potassium supplementation and experienced no further arrhythmias. He was discharged after 4 days with a normal ECG (QTc 430 msec). One year later the patient was readmitted with syncope and prolonged QTc interval. The patient experienced recurrent episodes of PMVT over the first 16 hours unresponsive to magnesium, sodium bicarbonate and lidocaine. After multiple defibrillations control was achieved with a transvenous pacemaker with overdrive pacing. The patient subsequently reported chronic abuse of loperamide, up to 400-2 mg tablets daily for opioid withdrawal. He was discharged after 12 days with a normal ECG. A serum loperamide level on hospital day 1 was 130 ng/mL.
Discussion: Various internet sites discuss the use of loperamide for opioid withdrawal and an opioid substitute. Both patients reported escalating use of loperamide to ameliorate opioid withdrawal. Neither was using any other drug known to affect cardiac conduction at the time of these events. The use of a p-glycoprotein inhibitor such as quinine has been reported to enhance transport of loperamide into the brain. Our patients denied this and both had negative quinine levels. There is only one previously published report of ventricular tachycardia following loperamide abuse. A FDA Medwatch® query done through December 2012 reported only 3 other cases of ventricular tachycardia, arrhythmia or death with loperamide as the only substance. Loperamide plasma levels following therapeutic doses of 4 and 8 mg are 0.24 to 1.2 ng/mL, respectively. Our patient's level was four orders of magnitude higher.
Conclusion: Massive loperamide abuse may result in QTc prolongation and subsequent recurrent ventricular arrhythmias.

A rare case report(s) on loperamide abuse. Be careful, 3A4 inhibitors alone have been shown to increase plasma levels five-fold, you could theroticelly increase it 10 fold with massive doses of 3A4/PGP inhibitors. The second guy in the above report had 100x the amount, so taking much less than that with inhibitors could achieve an even greater plasma.

Just be careful; as I've posted before, the ED50 of loperamide is only half if the LD50, which gives it a fucking terrible therapeutic index, though in fairness that is without PGP inhibitors, which would lower the ED50.(though how much they would also lower LD50, is unknown).

I know I've had dreadful side effects, though. Definitely a toxic drug that shouldn't be indiscriminately abused.

Ok.. How is it that I've been an addict for years and have never heard of doing loperamide? Seriously? This is crazy!!! It's been dry around here and I've been on sub for a week and now I find out about this? Wow... Need some opinions... Should I run out right now and get some? Well, I guess the sub will block it... But should I for when my sub wears off? I'm usually doing 90-120 of roxi a day and if I can get anywhere close to that with loperamide I'm totally in lol... Opinions on this?

I think I'd stick with buprenorphine, but yeah, getting a bottle for hard times is reasonable.

You really do need inhibitors as I mentioned, unless I take a really high dose.

I think I'd stick with buprenorphine, but yeah, getting a bottle for hard times is reasonable.

You really do need inhibitors as I mentioned, unless I take a really high dose.

Rite on! I'll definitely give it a go next time I have nothing at all... I'm intrigued though. :). You know how it is when we
Learn about something that potentially could get us to our place..

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/24602137/?i=2&from=/23829508/related

Quinidine+PGP inhibitor increases plasma, and Also caused pupil constriction. Unfortunately they didn't say what dose they used, but I doubt it was very large.

It would be nice to not have to down insane amounts of WGJ, especially with the delayed gastric emptying!

IDK, a lot of people say cimetidine alone works for them, but I have to use both.(WGJ alone gives horrible side effects, I'm guessing because of it's toxic metabolite?)

No disrespect to anybody who has become addicted to loperamide but exactly how is this possible? When I've used it to get off kratom, I'll take 20mg a day for 5-6 days and stop without issue. I never get a buzz though, so I don't have an incentive to continue taking it once the withdrawals are over. Is that the only way one can get hooked on it?

... As I've said many times, you must take CYP3A4 AND PGP inhibitors to get central effects from lope.(at least without taking dangerous doses).

20mg on it's own will do absolutely nothing, as far as CNS effects. Hell, 100mg would likely do nothing alone, we're talking a drug that has both a HORRIBLE FUCKING BIOAVAILABILITY on it's own, and even when entered into circulation, it is highly PNS selective.

I take omeprazole about an hour before I take the 20mg loperamide and it works. I've read there is some debate about using omeprazole instead of something like Quinine/Quinidine? As I said, just using ONLY the omeprazole and loperamide, I get relief from withdrawal but nothing else. No sort of psychoactive effect whatsoever.

Half-life is irrelevant to duration.(well, with many drugs, including cimetidine.)

But inhibition isn't conditional on a drug remaining in circulation. Inhibition happens because of direct action on enzymes. Once significantly inhibited, it can take DAYS to fully recover. That is why I suggested you start with large doses, and then simply maintain with moderate, to maintain the inhibition. Hope that helps :)

(PS: I can now say, it works EXPONNTIALLY BETTER with WGJ. 48-64oz before the lope = unbelievable results.

So with the cimetidine, (I'm running low) I took 1000mg for 3 days in a row, then 600mg for 4 days in row, yesterday I took 800mg, and today I took 600mg and I'll be taking 12 (24mgs) Loperamide tomorrow. Could I maintain CYP3A4 AND PGP inhibition for the remainder of my taper of dropping one pill a day with only 200-400mg of Cimetidine (a day or like 600mg everyother day I only have 7 left)? You state it could take DAYS to recover so couldn't you take 1000mg for 3 days (like I did) and then not take anymore for a couple days with your loperamide since it'd be inhibited with large doses from days earlier

Yeah, but it's complicated, because the body can up regulate enzymes if you abuse cimetidine.

With 7 left, dropping 1 pill a day....

Well, once you get to like 3-4 tablets, it won't matter. I think you'd be better skipping a day, after taking another big dose.

It can take days to FULLY recover, but 12 pills isn't bad, your close. Can you not get WGJ? With the 7 cimetidine, your taper could be no problem.

Has anyone had problems with tolerance and/or developing withdrawals from only using small amounts for only a few days? For example using no more than say 16mg for no longer than 4 days? In theory from what I have read it seems like such a small dose one could even jump off it and maybe take 2-4mg every second day to counter diarhea but also see no major repercussions. Obviously this is for people with smaller dependance. The fear is still there, the long action has been the only thing scaring me from using this any more than 2 days in a row.

No disrespect to anybody who has become addicted to loperamide but exactly how is this possible? When I've used it to get off kratom, I'll take 20mg a day for 5-6 days and stop without issue. I never get a buzz though, so I don't have an incentive to continue taking it once the withdrawals are over. Is that the only way one can get hooked on it?

I seem to of missed this but it is fairly similar to my post. Does anyone have any expirience like this? It seems those who become dependant on lope seem to be using it at a lot higher doses, my mind is still not at ease and not willing to take that chance, even though the dose I take is a lot lower.

I seem to of missed this but it is fairly similar to my post. Does anyone have any expirience like this? It seems those who become dependant on lope seem to be using it at a lot higher doses, my mind is still not at ease and not willing to take that chance, even though the dose I take is a lot lower.
I can tell you my experience was that I started taking it for wd in 2012 then about 40mg a day no buzz really just made me feel even. This was March, then I kept taking it out of stupidity or just a habit until early may It dawned on me to stop taking it. Well wd symptoms from the lope kicked in and I jumped back on because "it doesn't get me high and it's OTC so it's okay right?" We'll fast forward to April 2014 and I'm up to 200-300mg daily and it's time to bite the bullet and stop. If you look at my last posts that ordeal is chronicled , it took a good 8 weeks of severe wd to feel better so be careful! I'll gladly answer any ?'s

Just a heads up to anyone in Michigan that uses Lope.. your lawmakers are going after it (as well as Kratom) in a house bill that has just recently been introduced that would make Lope a scheduled drug.

Source: http://www.legislature.mi.gov/documents/2013-2014/billintroduced/House/pdf/2014-HIB-5707.pdf

What the FUCK! Thank god I just finally completely got off both the Kratom and Lope. Also, luckily back to NC I go once I'm off probation. Never would have thought NC would out last MI.

OMG lope going to scheduling. Makes me a little scared *shiver* I repeat 100000x, IT HAS NO HIGH, the opioid effects, even if you take enough (or the requisite stuff that messes/inhibits with P-Gp's job in the BBB) for CNS action ARE NOT PLEASANT AND WITH NO OR LOW TOLERANCE/OPIOID NAIVIETY, TAKING IT FOR ANYTHING OTHER THAN W/Ds CAN BE FATAL.

Please fed government don't follow MI into leaving opioid addicts with no OTC method to remove W/Ds, opioid deaths and use will spike if the feds go back to scheduling lope. I guarantee it.

I can't stressed the text enough. I'll say it a million times. Read it twenty times.