• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Opioids Looking for an alternative to Oramorph (oral morphine)

NickNightingale

Bluelighter
Hi squad

I was prescribed a 500ml bottle of Oramorph a couple months ago after having surgery.

I was/am fairly inexperienced with drugs in general, but I really enjoyed the Morphine and sourced some more after I'd run out.

Since then I've been sipping it recreationally on weekends. However it is simply too expensive to be viable from this point on.

So my question: what can I try that will replicate my favourite effects (something cheaper and in pill form)?

These are the effects I enjoy:
>moderate euphoria but not overwhelming
>increased sociability
>anti-anxiety and anitdepressive effects
>nods

For reference my tolerance is low. This is my* first opioid experience and I sip between 80 and 120ml on a Friday or Saturday.

Another thing - many of the popular opioids I see mentioned (like oxy and hydrocodone) are rare where I live and not keen on imports.

Thanks in advance!!

Last edited:
Perhaps codeine or tramadol?
I've read that certain people don't have the enzyme to metabolise codeine to morphine. I suspect I am one of these people, because I was prescribed codeine at the same time as the morphine - I took a decently large dose (total beginner) and felt literally nothing

Most similar drug to motphine is dicetyl-morphine aka heroin. Lower on the opioid scale but still having morphine cruising your veins is codein. Tramadol you may like but it is a very different experience than morphine. Then there is kratom, but forget about nodding and it seems you have developed tolerance and kratom will not do. Maybe for few days but not even close the intensity of morphine. You could try though. Last are 2 long lasting opioids - full agonist methadone and buprenorphine which is comparatively safer than methadone.

After saying all this I would advise you to try to dump this notion that "opioids are fun and I will use them only on weekends". That rarely goes the way people plan. Especially if you dont have your life sorted out (job, relationship, hobbies...) and/or are suffering some mental problems (diagnosed or not) and are self medicating. Leave opioids while you are still ahead or be prepared to risk having major disruption in yor functioning in next 12-24 months if you go to opioid land. If you use opioids for legit pain than that is another story but the way you wrote what effects you want imply that pain is not on top of your list.

Hope I helped. I wish you luck whatever decision you make. Take care!

I was prescribed codeine at the same time as the morphine - I took a decently large dose (total beginner) and felt literally nothing
If you took morphine for few days and, then codeine after that you didnt feel, it was in all likelihood cause of tolerance brought to you by morphine. Just wanted to reply to that part.

Keep us informed whatever choice you make. Maybe go to TDS to see where opiods can lead. Read some real life experiences and ask yourself "Do I want to risk that scenario in my life?". Hope you stick around, there are lot of valuable information and knowledgeable people that care here on BL.

Last edited by a moderator:
Most similar drug to motphine is dicetyl-morphine aka heroin. Lower on the opioid scale but still having morphine cruising your veins is codein. Tramadol you may like but it is a very different experience than morphine. Then there is kratom, but forget about nodding and it seems you have developed tolerance and kratom will not do. Maybe for few days but not even close the intensity of morphine. You could try though. Last are 2 long lasting opioids - full agonist methadone and buprenorphine which is comparatively safer than methadone.

After saying all this I would advise you to try to dump this notion that "opioids are fun and I will use them only on weekends". That rarely goes the way people plan. Especially if you dont have your life sorted out (job, relationship, hobbies...) and/or are suffering some mental problems (diagnosed or not) and are self medicating. Leave opioids while you are still ahead or be prepared to risk having major disruption in yor functioning in next 12-24 months if you go to opioid land. If you use opioids for legit pain than that is another story but the way you wrote what effects you want imply that pain is not on top of your list.

Thanks for taking the time to write this man I really appreciate it.

First of all, yes, I absolutely am using the morphine to self-medicate. I have BDD and depression that fluctuates between moderate and severe.

I am approaching 30 and have never experienced sustained happiness in my life. Not even a full week. I'm sure you understand why I'm enjoying this morphine. It acts as a combo anti-anxiety/anti-depressant while also letting me sleep earlier, better and deeper.

I'm not naive - I know i am on the edge of a potentially slippery slope. But I find it so hard to care because I have essentially given up on conventional treatments (years of therapy and different meds).

For now, I am content with weekly/biweekly use. But you are likely right that at some point I will want to up my usage.

It's a very difficult position to be in.

Anyway thanks again for your inciteful comment. It seems like the community here is mature and supportive.

And irrespective of all this - sounds like I won't be able to replace the effects of morphine anyway (I'm not doing heroin ever), so I'm at a dead end.

Last edited:

Also just wanted to add - the method and dosage I've been taking has not been "intense" really. I've been fully in control of myself and lucid, and the euphoria hasn't been dizzying or anything. Just pleasant. So I'm not looking for something that will send me to Mars.

So I'm not looking for something that will send me to Mars.
Good harm reduction. Cause with opioids it is not a trip to mars but to graveyard.

Just out of curiosity...are you maybe able to get "ketamine infusion" treatment. Like legit. I read research and experiences and it seems like a good tool. Especially for depression. Mdma is better for hard trauma related disorders and psilocybin is surely a double edged sward (as are all psychedelics) but before you dive in too hard with opioids or even if you end addicted they are tools. Powerful tools that need to be respected. Just dont give up cause I believe that in 5 years these treatments will be more widely accepted.

Good harm reduction. Cause with opioids it is not a trip to mars but to graveyard.

Just out of curiosity...are you maybe able to get "ketamine infusion" treatment. Like legit. I read research and experiences and it seems like a good tool. Especially for depression. Mdma is better for hard trauma related disorders and psilocybin is surely a double edged sward (as are all psychedelics) but before you dive in too hard with opioids or even if you end addicted they are tools. Powerful tools that need to be respected. Just dont give up cause I believe that in 5 years these treatments will be more widely accepted.
I will definitely look in that, as well as psilocybin microdosing. I know that MDMA therapy is being studied in my country too.

It's very similar to morphine but not exactly the same
This is pretty much the info I was after. From doing a bit of research, it seems that pods are the closest match (short of H but don't fancy that). Also seems *way* more cost effective than the oramorph

No but seriously, I’m sure your thinking “I’ll never do big bad heroin” but keep it up and soon you’ll be it’s dancing monkey, your choice buddy

I already know how this will play out…you’ll do your pods or trams or whatever, then one day you’ll run out and heroin will be all that’s around to stop your wd, then you’ll realize just how fucking awesome it is (why so many people fall to it) then you’ll be just like us ;)

What is it you want to know? It's very similar to morphine but not exactly the same due to being a blend of more than a dozen different alkaloids.
and the w/drawals are a dozen times shitier

I was just lucky I had a stash of buprenex in the early days

I already know how this will play out…you’ll do your pods or trams or whatever, then one day you’ll run out and heroin will be all that’s around to stop your wd, then you’ll realize just how fucking awesome it is (why so many people fall to it) then you’ll be just like us ;)
This doesn't happen to 100% of people who start on this stuff. Maybe it's statistically likely it will happen to me, but I am able to influence that probability.

What about pod tea?
Better take morph.pills than pod tea.more easy can calculate ur dose.pod is much more toxic...a lot of stuff there,addicting&with long painful withdrawls.best option is codeine if u are opiate naive....but it's way weaker&some people can't metabolizing it well.Tram was well pain affecting,but it"s weird drug with advproperties&also some can't metabolizing it well.never tried ketamine,but it's safer alternative for pain and no so phisically addicting...if u have minor pain issue better use only weak otc stuff.u don't need&eant to be hooked,'cause it's big load to carry such addiction

Last edited:
Pod tea isn't necessarily more toxic than pharmaceutical morphine unless the poppies were grown on contaminated soil or something.

However as others have pointed out tolerance will skyrocket and because they are so accessible it's easy to get addicted.