Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Long term Use of Meth what do the studies say

Highbiatch

Greenlighter
Hi all,

I know there are some very intelligent people here on bluelight especially in Aus, some of which I'm sure could have been neurosurgeons if they chose, so Im hoping those people can address my question. Im wanting to know what the research says about the long term use of meth (5-10+ years), particularly how it would affect the systems of the body individually, and of course as a whole. In particular though, what are the changes that would occur in the brain?

Ive been using now for four years and the past 5 lots Ive got, Ive noticed a steady deterioration in me, somethings changing in me I know. I just dont feel right and its making me scared, but not scared enough to quit. Im actually not sure there's much out there to support this addiction or even if its classed as one?

Is there irreversible damage from this drug?
Lastly, are there any GP's around who look after IV drug users. Id like to get checked over but I dont know where to go?

Thx

Hi all,

I know there are some very intelligent people here on bluelight especially in Aus, some of which I'm sure could have been neurosurgeons if they chose, so Im hoping those people can address my question. Im wanting to know what the research says about the long term use of meth (5-10+ years), particularly how it would affect the systems of the body individually, and of course as a whole. In particular though, what are the changes that would occur in the brain?

Ive been using now for four years and the past 5 lots Ive got, Ive noticed a steady deterioration in me, somethings changing in me I know. I just dont feel right and its making me scared, but not scared enough to quit. Im actually not sure there's much out there to support this addiction or even if its classed as one?

Is there irreversible damage from this drug?
Lastly, are there any GP's around who look after IV drug users. Id like to get checked over but I dont know where to go?

Thx
Could you describe some of the things you are suffering from? I think this would be useful to everyone. Thanks for the post.

even a year of use can reduce grey matter in the brain. My concentration is shot to shit after heavy stim use for years. Coming up a year clean from using stimulants. My main physical concern is my heart rate my resting rate is around 120 beats per mintue i think its due to mdma abuse though rather than speed and meth.

even a year of use can reduce grey matter in the brain. My concentration is shot to shit after heavy stim use for years. Coming up a year clean from using stimulants. My main physical concern is my heart rate my resting rate is around 120 beats per mintue i think its due to mdma abuse though rather than speed and meth.

I also have a very fast heart rate.

13 years on and off of methamphetamine use.

I also have a very fast heart rate.

13 years on and off of methamphetamine use.
During a 3 day binge i thought my heart was going to stop after all the strain it had been under and not eating after that its been downhill for my heart health. I assume if i suffer a heart attack in the future i will just end up dead. The last time i did meth i was on mdma and 15 beers deep my heart rate felt like it was in the upper 180-200 range.

In foresight i wish i knew stimulants was going to fuck my heart this bad i always thought coke was the one to damage the heart beyond repair. High blood pressure and having the heart beat so fast you feel it 24/7 almost a constant burn or pain.

Meth affects every organ in the body. You can put you money on it it did a number on your brain

In in the states there is no kind of studies because of the DEA FDA regulations on schedule IV drugs. In my 35 years of doing methamphetamine I have seen people lose their teeth because of the loss of calcium I seen people anorexic I've seen people actually lose it to where they're talking to the walls a lot of people psychosis ends up with hearing these voices or seeing people that are not there my main focus point was my heart being a muscle I thought it would stretch in size from the amounts of beats per minute

It's a very hard substance on the body.
I'm guessing that the brain heart and lungs(if smoking it) are the worst affected.teeth also take a major hit no matter what roa is used.blood clots and strokes are common in i.v. users.heart problems are something I'd expect to be a problem further down the road too

Check out MIR scans comparing a healthy brain to a meth riddled one ... Scared the fuck out of me.

If you use any drug of any kind of it on you to look after yourself to minimise the long term damage from the drug.

Having said that, I know I'll die pretty young compared to what I would have otherwise, wouldn't change a thing though).

You should take magnesium supplements and drink a healthy amount of water, eat even if you don't feel like it and never have a bulk amount handy as that's just going to fuck you over.

As for doctors, I have not found one that is any use unless the gp in Collingwood , Smith st is still there.

Dont remember his name but he was very nice to me and didn't do the shame thing, that was ages ago though.

I’m curious as to whether the major damage is done from the chemical or the lifestyle. Certainly the major psychiatric damage seems to be more from extended sleeplessness than the drug itself damaging the brain.

Does anyone manage meth by committing to no more than 24-36 hours awake with decent intervals between sessions and some healthy counterbalancing habits?

I ask this seriously as a former meth fuckup myself still keen on dabbling while staying on the right side of total apocalyptic self-destruction.

Very scientific of you

Here's an article I found somewhat interesting as it goes against the modern hype machines.

I will search for some actual studies in a bit.

Last edited:
Stay up for 36 hours without drugs, and see whether you feel healthy. Now combine that with ingesting a neurotoxic chemical of dubious origin. THat's more or less how bad it is for you. Unhealthy lifestyle and binging probably contributes, but it's mostly about intensity of usage. You're probably better off not dabbling since you no longer are on it.
Very scientific of you

Here's an article I found somewhat interesting as it goes against the modern hype machines.

This is a great article - i recovered from a meth addiction and went on to a PhD. The drug is definitely dangerous but I wonder whether it is always as fatal as made out to be.

The human body and especially the human brain are amazing. Neuroplasticity is a beautiful thing. Although, I wouldn't rely on it, don't get to upset about what damage is done. Focus on building and moving forward.

I’m curious as to whether the major damage is done from the chemical or the lifestyle. Certainly the major psychiatric damage seems to be more from extended sleeplessness than the drug itself damaging the brain.

Does anyone manage meth by committing to no more than 24-36 hours awake with decent intervals between sessions and some healthy counterbalancing habits?

I ask this seriously as a former meth fuckup myself still keen on dabbling while staying on the right side of total apocalyptic self-destruction.

I've been on pharmaceutical opiates for 14 yrs and I'd say they don't damage the body or brain at all.relatively undamaging.
9months on Afghani brown heroin without cutting agents is that I think it's the leftover acetic anhydride and acetic acid that causes ones bones to be more brittle than normal not the heroin itself.whether or not white heroin has this problem i cant say.if u can still smell that pickle/vinegar/AA smell its bad for your bones. i imagine black tar is the same.if I knew then what I know now I would have purified it.as for ice even when living a healthy lifestyle eating a lot,not drinking or smoking sleeping everynite I still lose weight and look fukt up.smoking it is quite bad for your teeth and if you munch out on chocolate and lollies it's gunna cause demineralisation and cavities quicker than it would if u weren't smoking ice.
Hi purity RC cathinones aren't as bad for teeth as even the purest meth is.
Some people can use ice and still retain muscle mass and not look unhealthy.i don't know how but they do.
If I stick to just weekend use I can still look healthy but no way on everyday use.
So overall I'd say depends on the drug.
Heroin has residual acetic anhydride that's corrosive to the human body that prescription opiates don't.it makes a big difference.also I imagine trying to get money to get it, waiting for ppl to get on and being disappointed with the quality of streetgear + all the other bullshit add a level of stress and panic that contributes to how healthy one looks and feels.probably puts strain on the heart too.as for meth I imagine that ppl who stick to just weekend use can stay reasonably healthy if work,diet and lifestyle are maintained during the week.some ppl who are everyday users look healthy somehow.not many but some.also if I.v.ing it health will decrease quicker and your drug use will be far more noticeable.pure meth is corrosive enough so impure meth would be twice as toxic and damaging but even when pure with healthy lifestyle I can't maintain health on ice.
So depending on substance, purity frequency and lifestyle are all factors.

Very scientific of you

Most ppl without underlying mental health issues seem to not have any long term impairment and don't have brain damage.those pictures of ppls before and after meth mugshots are extreme cases of the most fucked up cases.

Off topic, I've been looking for the answer to this question on BL but I've gotten such crazy mixed responses from everyone. Would adderall use over a long period of time have similar outcomes? Or is meth specifically neurotoxic while adderall is not? The mixed bag of answers makes me think that it's still being debated how similar/different meth is to adderall and the consequences of pharma amphetamines. Someone actually said that a small amount of meth is less damaging than 150-200 mgs of adderall. Just have been wondering why people do not ruin their entire lives with high doses of adderall like they do with meth tbh. Seems that meth is way more likely to cause psychosis and make you lose your sanity. I refuse to touch meth even once in my life but I do occasionally take higher doses of adderall (80+ mg throughout a day) and then take a couple of day breaks in between. This question is more for my personal HR admittingly, but also out of curiosity why adderall fails to satisfy stim users like meth does. Obviously meth is adderall's stronger cousin. I haven't noticed any obvious effects of my adderall use thus far.

Do pharma stims affect grey matter in the brain at all? Any info would be appreciated! thx

Last edited:
Not really off topic given how many people seem to believe that adderall , d-amp and meth are essentially the same thing. As I take both prescribed d-amp and meth I appreciate the difference but I have the same question as you,

As someone who does both, what is ur personal opinion on how it's affected you physically/mentally? Have you noticed any consequences from the two individually that differ?

Obviously an occasional meth user with self-control would be more likely to hang on for a longer time but still acquire some side effects (eventually). People who redose for 8 days in a row probably deteriorate ultra fast. I'm not gobbling 400 mg of adderall in a day or anything ya know? I just want to know if occasional 80-100 mg use would add up in the long run. But also science wise it's an interesting question bc even highly intelligent ppl with medical backgrounds have vastly different responses lol. As someone mentioned, even heroin doesn't seem to cause people to break down and lose their sanity like we've seen with meth. I've heard of someone ending up in rehab from amphetamine addiction, but seems pretty rare for it to obliterate your life alone.

However if adderall is the "same" as meth... there would be no calling for meth and everyone would just be going to their doctors complaining about focus issues to get the thing. Seems the composition of adderall is a lot less addicting, or maybe the crash of meth is so severe it holds users hostage to redose. Idk. there's a good research paper in this q somewhere. Seems that even extremely high doses of adderall do not compete with the power of meth.

Last edited: