• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Long term effects of Diphenhydramine

Thread from the dead lol. Since it's been sparked back up, i may as well contribute.

When i was using DPH as a potentiator or sleep aid and exceeded 150mg's, it always gave me horrible, uncontrollable shakes in my hands.

So yeah, i always stay at 50mg's or less just for that reason.

dyphen. will fuck your brain up at those high of doses. lay off that stuff and give your brain a rest. also, it will make your blood pressure very high and could result in heart failure. it's not worth it. deliriants are dangerous, dangerous drugs. dyphenhydramine is a lot like datura in the doses you are speaking of...and we all know that datura is NOT something to be fucked with.

The long term effects include
- brain damage and this includes eye sight as well
- heart damage and heart tissue
- cardiovascular problems; blood pressure will be either too high or too low
- liver and kidneys
- it's one of the few anti histamines that is a local anesthetic; local anesthetics destory the surface they touch therefore it will impact every organ in the body
- because its a salt there can be accumulation in your lungs (which is why it helps a bit with coughs), over time its like an excessive intake of salt

The reason I know this stuff is b/c when I was in grade 7-8 I was abusing it as well (1-3 times a week) I would have 1-3 bottles of the small dxm cough syrup combined with at the very least 10-12 even 15 gravols or benadryls. Once I ended up in the hospital (my parents found me I was in complete delerium) and the doctors helped me clean my system out with charcoal when I woke up they thought I wanted to kill myself and told me that at the moment when I came in my heart rate was so high/fast that apparently if I had gotten even a bit agitated so that my pulse and heart rate rose only a tiny bit I was close to a heart attack/heart failure (or if I never had got to the hospital in time).

Most people say regarding drugs they dont regret anything, even bad experiences are something to learn from but I can honestly tell you there are many regrets I have in life; abusing anti histamines in that way for example.

Considering how often they are used OTC, look up studies and you'll be shocked at how their dangers GRATLEY outweight their bennefits.

p.s. If you are looking for something sedating to sleep I know for a fact that there are at least 2 other OTC anti histamines that are much more sedating the Benadryl. One is promethazine (sp?) and one more that if you look for codeine preparations OTC (even if ur in the states google and see in what combinations codeine comes over the counter in Canada) b/c I remeber seeing one preparation that had 10mg or 12mg codeine along with what I heard from bluelight was an antihistamine 4-5x more sedating than benadryl. So of course its best to stop all antihistamines alltogether but maybe that will help to to a lesser dose and more sedating effects, and also it might have a different side effect profile (as in better) than benadryl which is an old school anti histamine and one of the only ones that is a local anesthetic (which is not a good thing for long term use).

Who ever said dph was the first antidepressant was wrong, chlorphenamine was the first, or another related anti-histamine, brompheniramine, was used to synthesize the first AD, check the wiki page.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chlorphenamine
In addition to being an histamine H1 receptor antagonist, chlorphenamine has been shown to work as a serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor or SNRI.[2] A similar antihistamine, brompheniramine, led to the discovery of the SSRI zimelidine. Limited clinical evidence shows that it is comparable to several antidepressant medications in its ability to inhibit the reuptake of serotonin and also norepinephrine (noradrenaline).[3] However, extensive clinical trials of its psychiatric properties in humans have not been conducted. It inhibits serotonin reuptake less than norepinephrine reuptake,[4] however the literature is not consistent in this respect.[5]
A study performed on Fischer 344/Brown Norway F1 hybrid rats showed that intraventricular administration of Chlorphenamine reduced fear-related behaviors and improved maze performance. It was also noted that long term administration of Chlorphenamine reduced age-related deficits in motor function.[6]

Secondly, I have been taking low or normal doses (50-150mg)DPH for sleep and opiate potentiation for like three or four years now and nothing bad ihas happened. Yah sure if you down a box of dph in one go, there will be side effects just like if you ate a whole box of Oreos at once, actions always have consequences.

Last edited:
What ever happened to smoking good old mary jane and calling it a day?

I read those trip reports of deliriants on Erowid and I can't understand the appeal. To each their own I suppose.

Who ever said dph was the first antidepressant was wrong, chlorphenamine was the first, or another related anti-histamine, brompheniramine, was used to synthesize the first AD.

With all due respect, that isn't true. I read a book on it.

What ever happened to smoking good old mary jane and calling it a day?

I read those trip reports of deliriants on Erowid and I can't understand the appeal. To each their own I suppose.

says OXYADDICT05

though I did find this to be quite extreme myself...

I have been taking dph every night since October 2012 (maybe a few days here and there i didnt take it but 99% of the time i did.). My doses range from 300-450mg. I usually take 400mg a night if i havent had any alcohol or anything else but if i did drink id drop it down to 300-350mg. The highest I ever went up to was 650 and that was PLENTY and even to much i haven't done that since.
In my experiences my memory has always been bad but this has made it just a little worse and a racing heart every now and then. I hallucinate a lot while on it and I admit sometimes it is scary. I actually wrote a few pages on the dph experiences I've had and what to expect. If anyone wants me to share PM me.

So basically I take 400mg a night with the typical side effects you would get from taking dph (blurred vision, drowsiness etc.) but very mild long term ones so far.

Don't do DPH. I've taken it every night for the past week in doses upwards of 700 mg. It's not worth it. Recently I've been taking it more often (3 times a day) and now that I've run out, I'm going through major withdrawals.

I don't want to eat, I don't want to be with my friends, I'm really temperamental, and DPH is the only thing I can think about. Please, do not start taking DPH

What's Diphenhydramine like? I imagine it to be similar to Dextromethorphan?

What's Diphenhydramine like? I imagine it to be similar to Dextromethorphan?

Imagine being heavily sedated on xanax or lorazepam and toss in pcp delusion and hallucinations (FUCKING SPIDERS!!!). I find it easy to describe in segments. Below is a normal 450mg dose. :\

+1 hour after ingestion: you begin to become tired and a feel like you just ingested a small quantity of hard alcohol
+ 2 hours: Sedation and hallucinations start
+3 - 6 hours: Panic or delusion and you start to come down
+7 hours: Irrational irritation and anger
+8 hours: You pass out.

Imagine being heavily sedated on xanax or lorazepam and toss in pcp delusion and hallucinations (FUCKING SPIDERS!!!). I find it easy to describe in segments. Below is a normal 450mg dose. :\

+1 hour after ingestion: you begin to become tired and a feel like you just ingested a small quantity of hard alcohol
+2 hours: Sedation and hallucinations start
+3 - 6 hours: Panic or delusion and you start to come down
+7 hours: Irrational irritation and anger
+8 hours: You pass out.

I do enjoy Xanax and Lorazepam so the start sounded good... but delusion and hallucinations, spiders!? eek!

Does sound similar to my experience of DXM then, that was all just a bit fucked up! I'll stick to my opioids and benzo's for now...!

People seem to have really messed up trips. I have great ones. I'll just think I'm seeing bugs and I'll feel disassociated and my short term memory is completely gone. If someone asks me a question, by the time I can process the question, I've forgotten it.

It's not the greatest high, but it'll do it. Do not get addicted. I can not stress this enough. It's highly addicting mentally.

THC gives you a way better high.

diphenhydramine side effects

Up until recently, I was a heavy abuser of Diphenhydramine (benadryl, nytol etc.) Without a doubt I was/am psycologically addicted to the high it gives you. My question is: what can be some of the long term negative side effects of diphenhydramine use (at doses between 750mg-2500mg). After my most recent use, I became so ill I lost nearly 15lbs in 10 days, with other strange effects such as crazy nightmares and hearing static (white noise) in my ears. The effects faded away over the next two weeks, but it scared me a fair bit, as I never experience that before.

Thanks,

Chris
I have taken approx 8 - .25 mg pills per night for over 20 years. I started having horrible acid stomach symptoms. Then I started waking up several times per night with a parched mouth and a horrible taste. It would go away when I was upright, but come back when I reclined. Then I started vomiting in the mornings, and started to see small amounts of blood. I finally just stopped taking it all together & my symptoms are either gone or getting better. Yes, I'm having trouble sleeping, but I figure I'll get over that. Since I am retired I can schedule my life around my sleeping habits, so it hasn't been a serious problem. I it does, I'll consult a doctor. Hope this helps.:D

Well said. Couldn't have said it any better.

When I began taking dph recreationally, I did it once every couple months. Was perfectly fine afterwards. I never really enjoyed it. I just found its effects interesting. But now I've found it more enjoyable and dose almost every weekend. For me: music sounds amazing, watching videos during the come up is more enjoyable, orgasms are practically mindblowing, and watching something funny seems to make me overreact with laughter. But with that said, the cons rule those out. Having to urinate every 15-20mins, cotton mouth, confusion, feeling heavy and distorted, time goes by fast, hard to stay awake, feeling fidget...the list goes on.

All of those put together sound like the definition of insanity. So if you ever feel like using dph recreationally because you don't have Saturday night plans,,,,avoid it. Long term damage? Maybe minor if you take high amounts frequency, but you might wonder why you can't think straight when you're only 50. For this reason, I am slowly getting off of this. Smoking green just might have to be the replacement haha. We all know dangerous things can be fun. But like said above, in moderation guys....

Never taken really high doses of DPH, but I've found it useful for inducing sleep. I used to combo DPH with doxylamine succinate when I was trying to beat alcoholism (and had really, really bad insomnia) and it worked. For the first few days, anyway.

100 mgs is the highest I've ever gone on it, though. As someone else said, the trip reports on erowid sound..."unpleasant".

Considering dipenhydramine systematically shuts down your brain section by section when taken at those doses, i would say nothing less than permanent debilitating brain damage. Just because you don't notice it doesn't mean its not there, it just means your brain is so fucked you don't realize it, although i wouldn't be surprised if you really thought about it hard if you noticed something really fucked up about the way you think now compared to the way you used to. Seriously, taking those doses of benadryl will do nothing more than show you what its like to be brain dead at certain levels of severity.

Damn...talk about a buzzkill....I'll have these little streaks that last a couple of weeks where I will be a 100 pack of the 25mg pink tablets, and if my last run was longer than a month ago ill start with 18 pills, and then next night 21, next night 24, next 27, next 30. I make 750mg my absolute limit...tolerance builds ridiculously absurdly fast with diphenhydramine...and its a long lasting tolerance... I have waited a year between runs and I took 13, but after an hour I realize I needed to use 18-20 tabs total so I pop 7 more. A bottle of 100 is like 4.99 at walmart. I don't think that would be considered sourcing because it's not an illegal substance. I also don't recommend anyone do the amounts I described, and/or the length of time I actively use it.

The main reason I do it you ask? I don't do it to trip, I do it when because it exponentially amps my libido and increases sensitivity...making for turbo orgasms. The refractory period is astonishingly shorter than the usual men my age experience...I am 28. Usually after you bust a nut, you throw on your clothes, smoke a ciggie, and watch re-runs of Dave Chappelle....with this...after my soldiers launch..I can cuddle, give her foreplay, and be back in battle literally within 4-6 minutes.

These streaks last like 2 weeks of doing between 500-750mg every night. Tonight is actually the end of my run, just ate the last 30 tabs.

However there is one thing that is very frustrating. If I am on the computer while on it, I will be in the middle of typing something and I will completely forget what point I was trying to make. I see something on one site which interests me in something else I want to google or youtube to look at...and by the time I open the browser and click on the URL to type it in or search...I end up forgetting what I was going to search for.

You get incredibly thirsty since it is an anti-histamine which dries up all your juices, which is why its good for stuffy/runny noses.

From now on I will wait atleast 2 months between runs, and I'll just buy 200 25mg tabs and once thats gone, than ill wait for at least those two months.

I can say though to reassure some people who do massive amounts like myself after building a tolerance, is that I so far have not experienced the short-term memory loss when I am not on it. Thankfully it hasn't affected my brain permanently. I can say that confidently because I really do experience those issues while on it, so I would be able to recognize if I have deja-vu with that problem.

Never used it at that high of doses, the whole delirum thing turned me off..But since High school have always used them for sleep, taking 4 at a time then 6 then they stopped working for me for sleep at all. Now I use Doxylamine and find it way better for sleep and doesn't leave me feeling like to much crap the next day, as long as I have some caffiene when I wake up..WAY BETTER for sleep than benadryl,imo.