• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Long Car Rides - How to Make the Best of Them

I'm a car spotter so i like to stare out the window with a camera pointed at the other lane and take a few pictures of any exotic car that happens to drive by me. Also helps you notice anything interesting that may be out there at the same time.

In a week or so, I'm going to go on the longest car ride of my life (around 3000miles/4828kilometres). I don't mind long drives, in fact I often enjoy them, but this one's the longest I've ever done and I'm a little intimidated. We're going to try and drive it as fast as possible, only stopping for necessities and quick overnight sleeps. I'm excited to see a lot of the country, but at the same time I'm worried that I'm going to be going a bit crazy from boredom by the 3rd or 4th day.

If you rotate drivers and make sure that the back seat is for sleeping then this should be easily done in 40/48 hours. Some friends and I used cross Europe like this. Driver/ Navigator up front, 2 on sleep shift in the back. Just stop for gas and sandwiches to be eaten in the car. Drive at least the limit all the time, according to conditions.

Becomes trancelike after a while.

That said, I love to drive.

I guess you are back in the USA RL? What happened?

Good music, caffeine. On long drives listening to my favorite music I always enter an entactogenic-like state, and it lasts the whole time too. I love long drives for that reason, so fun and satisfying. :)

Bumping speed up on unpopulated stretches of freeway where you don't feel high risk of a speed trap is fun too. I know that's often when you run through one, but knock on wood, I've yet to go through one. The thing is that outside cities or towns does not mean rural; it has to me a long ways away from any town over pop. ~3,000. A bit of spirited driving on mountain stretches with those climbs, descents and turns is fun too. Just don't go beyond the limits of you awareness or vehicle stability.

I like to ride passenger with my shirt off, on back roads, it makes the ride feel free and exciting. %)