• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Long Car Rides - How to Make the Best of Them

RedLeader

Bluelight Crew
In a week or so, I'm going to go on the longest car ride of my life (around 3000miles/4828kilometres). I don't mind long drives, in fact I often enjoy them, but this one's the longest I've ever done and I'm a little intimidated. We're going to try and drive it as fast as possible, only stopping for necessities and quick overnight sleeps. I'm excited to see a lot of the country, but at the same time I'm worried that I'm going to be going a bit crazy from boredom by the 3rd or 4th day.

Assuming you're a passenger, how do you pass time during a long car ride? Reading is good, what else can be done assuming one lacks technology to watch films? Do you have any (non-drug) tips for sleeping?

As a driver, how do you keep going for really long stretches on the open road? How do you put up with chatty passengers or animals in the car?

How do you document a trip so that you can look back on it and see where you went? Do you take photos? Journal? Save things along the way?

Any stories from lengthy road trips you've taken are welcome!

Sleep: Raise your arm above your head with your elbow bent. Inhale. Relax. Get one of those neck pillows that people take on planes. Listen to relaxing music -sound of the ocean.

Documentation: You can usually get a trip app on your phone that has GPS so it tracks your journey. I love taking photos though.

I live in Hawaii--'nuff said.

What's your route? I drove Toronto-Vancouver-Toronto four times in five years a decade and a half back, and Toronto to Halifax three times during the same period. Each route is very different. Do you want to entertain yourself, or your passengers? If your passengers, download some free vids, like Symbols Of An Alien Sky, or something similar. If yourself, have ready a good music collection, because radio reception and selection may be quite questionable along the way. In any event, post your approximate route; that will determine how boring/exciting your trip will be and how much excitement you will have to pack.

i've driven across the u.s. and back 3 or 4 times and i have two words of advice: audio books.

i've only ever made the trip alone and between audio books and episodes of my favourite podcasts, i've never been bored. made the mistake of driving from salt lake city to omaha in one day. probably wouldn't do that again :)

alasdair

My first bit of advice- Enjoy it. There's that one saying that says it's not about the destination, it's about the journey... and that's so true.

If you aren't going to be driving straight through and only stop to switch drivers- then I wouldn't worry too much about sleeping. As the (well rested) passenger, you should help entertain the driver. Start and keep conversation going; make sure you got good tunes. There's nothing worse for the driver, than seeing the passenger layed out. Learn to read a map. I know this sounds so stupid, but you'd be surprised this day and age how many people don't know how to read a fucking map now that GPS is built into just about everything. There's a whole system in place that people have no idea about.... like routes that end in an even number run West to East, and routes that end in an odd number run North and South.

As a driver- you just kind of get into the "zone". I guess at certain points it could be really easy to be annoyed with "chatty" passengers etc. But for the most part if you just keep it casual, it's beneficial. Interesting discussions help take away the boring, mundane, monotony.

As far as documenting it.... Eh, I don't really know what to say about that... I mean photo-wise you'll look back and think, hmmm that's dumb because all you'll see is photo 1: stopped for gas in Gary Indiana; photo 2: stopped for gas in Lincoln NE... etc. Or you'll be that guy who wants to get his picture taken next to the world's biggest ball of string. All that shit eventually gets lost over the years... so it's all about documenting it in your mind.

I've driven/road shotgun across the country more times than I can count. The shortest amount of time was from Portland OR to Columbia MD in 50 hours. That was fucking awful.

I agree with the AudioBook suggestion.

I listen to Talk Radio on the road. Download some podcasts of some great talk radio shows.

Coast to Coast is a syndicated show you can find all over the place.

Have fun! Good luck!

I agree with the AudioBook suggestion!!
My first bit of advice- Enjoy it.

If you come to a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.
Lewis Carroll

Still round the corner there may wait, A new road or a secret gate.

J. R. R. Tolkien

i'm jealous,

sugest for an audio book is well, on the road

“Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.”
― Ralph Waldo Emerson

Last edited:
take breaks.

snacks.

good music.

MFLB (vape) or cookies.

good driving clothes, esp lightweight comfortable shoes. driving all day in boots suck.

Whenever you stop, stretch.
Your own music with headphones.
Healthy snacks/meals so that you don't rely on truckstop food.
Photography. You may have to turn around because you go by something so fast but do it. You won't regret it.

I'm jealous even though I just did a long roadtrip. I could get in my car and drive forever. I agree with ILoveYouWithAKnife, enjoy it. What is making you have to do it so fast? Your relative's job?

In a week or so, I'm going to go on the longest car ride of my life (around 3000miles/4828kilometres).

Moving from the east coast to west coast, huh?

I'm not driving anymore, so as a passenger I always have my mp3 player on me. Definitely make sure you have music for the ride. Snacks/foods and drinks will also help.

who are you driving with? because none of these suggestions matter if the person you are driving with is a shitty trip companion. besides that -

audiobooks, or magazines in audio edition, or lectures, or whatever, are a must have, as are headphones and separate musical devices for everyone participating in the drive. on my road atlas i also have written down radiostations that are worth listening from oregon to georgia. sometimes everyone has to participate, and some classic rock really does that.

snacks i always take: cheese, grapes, soymilk, ritz crackers, emergence-e packets and bottles of water, several thermoses of my coffee, and a pack of cigarettes for every two hours you're expected to be on the road, or plenty of loose tobacco. there is nothing worse than finding yourself on some shitty abandoned state high way with no cigarettes for hours.

make sure you know what you're driving into, weather wise. if there are any girls on the road with you -- don't bother with much. put your hair in a braid and leave it. there is nothing that's going to stand up to 12+hours of variable weather and wind besides a braid. if you really fucking have to, that spray shampoo in a can. also, layers.

<snip>

i try to time my trips around full moons. especially if you're driving through indian nation, the new moon can be frightening and disorienting. i'm serious. oklahoma and kansas and idaho in pitch black is some horror movie fucking shit.

as for driving - comfortable shoes are a must. is this your normal car? are you used to it? do you know what works and what doesn't? figure all of that out right now, and not while you're on the road. if you have knee or foot or back problems, appropriate brace or splint or whatever you need to do about it. when you're driving, keep your window cracked. the blast of cold air kept me awake and focused. and don't be afraid to stop, jesus christ.

12 hours is really the max for most people, and shit starts to go pear shaped around hour 12. i drove from denver to arkansas in one stretch, and there was a point in kansas where the sky, the road, everything was the same shitty grey colour and it was lightly snowing. i knew i only had one more hour to go, but i was afraid i would start doing that pilot thing where they can't figure out what is up and what is down. i pulled over, stretched, drank some coffee, and just stood in the cold for half an hour. if i hadn't, i think i would have killed both myself and my mother.

i don't know how much you believe in the old ways or anything like that, but i took everything i saw on the road extremely seriously. i was in texas and the whole car (my mother, my two little sisters) were asleep and i had to pull over for a piss. i was so tired and it was so late and it was so flat and dirty and dusty. i pulled over and got out of the car and was so happy it was warm! i turned around and as far as i could see was on fire. i don't know if it was a lightning strike or arson or what, but the moon was all bloody and the fire was so so hot. i screamed and ran back into the car and made my mother drive. i was a psychotic mess until we got out of texas, even my sisters couldn't relax me. when we made it to new orleans i immediately went looking for news about it. turns out a whole family burned alive in their house, and it caused car accidents when it spread across the highway. i don't know what i'm trying to say, but if something doesn't feel right, don't question it and get back on the road. as a non white southern girl, this can be life saving advice.

i like to take the same routes for certain drives. i keep a sharpie on me for this purpose - kinda like a train bum. there's this one rest stop outside wichita which i've been to at least a dozen times, and i always make sure and make my mark and date the bathroom stall. stupid, but it's tradition and i'm not going to stop now. i also take a lot of religious stuff with me, little tokens. my mom's buddhist prayer beads she gave me, my book of saints, my little st. catherine of alexandria prayer card. my sister likes to bring the same bandana every time. some token of comfort is nice.

i've only flown 3 times in my life, but i've gone on 30 or more 12hr+ road trips. it's honestly my preferred way of travel and it kills me that it's now basically cheaper to fly.

eta: RedLeader, isn't it great that we live in America? you are going to be able to see so much of this fucking amazing country. I think we forget, because we are Americans, that this country is massive. Gigantic! Foreigners should be jealous of all the different places we pack into our country. Rain forests and swamps and deserts and all kinds of shit. make sure and take pictures. also, you will never be bored. it's impossible. there is too much to see, and too much to learn about the people in the car with you to be boring. they'll be downtime, sure, but not boredom.

Last edited by a moderator:
the new moon can be frightening and disorienting. i'm serious. oklahoma and kansas and idaho in pitch black is some horror movie fucking shit.
++++++1 BUT you can see some interesting fucking things out there in the western skies man.... I saw my first UFO on the Oregon/Idaho border. It was fucking far out.

12 hours is really the max for most people, and shit starts to go pear shaped around hour 12. i drove from denver to arkansas in one stretch, and there was a point in kansas where the sky, the road, everything was the same shitty grey colour and it was lightly snowing. i knew i only had one more hour to go, but i was afraid i would start doing that pilot thing where they can't figure out what is up and what is down. i pulled over, stretched, drank some coffee, and just stood in the cold for half an hour. if i hadn't, i think i would have killed both myself and my mother.
So fucking true. The 50 hour trip I made from Portland to Columbia was like this. Both me and the other person where straight fucking hallucinating, but oddly enough we were both seeing the same tripped out shit.... Huge fucking trees that were on both sides of the highway with gigantic branches meeting in the middle. Fucking bizarre... and birds... birds everywhere.

i don't know how much you believe in the old ways or anything like that, but i took everything i saw on the road extremely seriously. i was in texas and the whole car (my mother, my two little sisters) were asleep and i had to pull over for a piss. i was so tired and it was so late and it was so flat and dirty and dusty. i pulled over and got out of the car and was so happy it was warm! i turned around and as far as i could see was on fire. i don't know if it was a lightning strike or arson or what, but the moon was all bloody and the fire was so so hot. i screamed and ran back into the car and made my mother drive. i was a psychotic mess until we got out of texas, even my sisters couldn't relax me. when we made it to new orleans i immediately went looking for news about it. turns out a whole family burned alive in their house, and it caused car accidents when it spread across the highway. i don't know what i'm trying to say, but if something doesn't feel right, don't question it and get back on the road. as a non white southern girl, this can be life saving advice.

I had some tripped out shit like this happen to me when I was driving lost in South Indiana by myself a little bit ago. It was a massive car fire with burning people... fucking wretched shit......

I could get in my car and drive forever

I love this<3

Made me think there might be the start of a poem here..

I Could Get in My Car and Drive For Ever

Did you ever think about why the world is round..

I could, if I could manage,
If I had my choice,
If i set the rules,

I would get in my car and drive forever..

????

Last edited:
Music, cigarettes, monster energy (sparingly,) resting your eyes while the other person drives, tipping the seat back and using a blanket as a pillow, cracking the windows to get fresh air, stretching, photography, drawing, reading, license plate games, being okay with silence, bringing your own food, trail mix, jugs of water, jugs of tea, comfortable shoes/ clothes, etc.

i make frequent long drives during school breaks back home. here are my driving essentials:

Music. (I burn all my most recently acquired mp3's on randomized cps)
Frequent stops to stretch, piss, and enjoy the scenery. (maybe plan out ahead of time some cool spots along the way)
portable vaporizer... smoking too much makes the driving go by real slow though.
and for maximum driving time, an adderall or two. use sparingly!
and yes, comfy clothes.

psyche yourself up and "pretend" that you're a truck driver.
-pee in jugs
-buy a shitty walmart cb radio
-write generic names and number on inside of windshield w/ dry erase markers
-learn to take the alphabet in and outta' context numerically. Do license plates w/ ur traveling buddy. U should limit yourself to adding up the #'s from road signs to three letters unless you're advanced.
-try not rubbernecking at accidents and bottlenecks.