• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Liquid Methadone Potency

jamesBrown

Bluelighter
I know this subject in general has been discussed over and over before. But for whatever reason the search function wasn't working correctly for me and the few pages that I found that discussed this issue had opinions that were all over the place.

Basically I'd like to know what different people think oral 50mg(5mL) of liquid methadone would be equal to. You can compare it to oral morphine, oxycodone, hydromorphone, buccal fentanyl, etc.
I know there are plenty of conversion charts and calculators online but I prefer first hand experience.

*side note- I inject VERY high doses of hydromorphone(40mgs) 3 to 4 times a day and I use 2 or 3 of the 37.5mcg/hr Fentanyl patches buccally each day.*

I'm trying to find out how much 50mgs of methadone will help me since I am out of my usual medications(I've been prescribed them for about a decade for a severe spinal problem that causes constant intractable pain.)

Any input is appreciated. I apologize if for some reason this post needs to be moved or deleted. It's been a long time since I spent time on BL so I've forgotten some of the rules.
Thanks ?
-jB-

Even with your moderate tolerance you should get pretty high on 50 mg methadone.

Moreso because you haven?t used it before, and you get that heightened high when you use a new opi for the first several times (or for the first time in years).

The first several months of mmt were great. The liquid doesn?t hit as hard or last as long as the pills but it?s a minimal difference

Even with your moderate tolerance.......

Only in the age of rampant "fentalogue" use would that be considered moderate. At 120mg Hydromorph + like 3-6 mg fent a day tolerance; if the methadone is all you have then its gonna be a lean day for sure. Methadone is about 2-3 times stronger than oxycodone, has a high bioavailability, and high intrinsic activity but I think with your tolerance it's still gonna come up short. Hope it works out for you though.

Most opioid conversion chats don't even try to do a conversion from oral methadone to other opiates. This is because of the vast difference in half life and subsequent bioavailability. Half life can vary from a few hours to several days making conversion tables almost impossible to get accurate.... As a result, many conversion tables don't even try.

Yes, as stated, I don't think the methadone will touch the sides with your tolerance. It will help a bit, but not enough.

I know this subject in general has been discussed over and over before. But for whatever reason the search function wasn't working correctly for me and the few pages that I found that discussed this issue had opinions that were all over the place.

Basically I'd like to know what different people think oral 50mg(5mL) of liquid methadone would be equal to. You can compare it to oral morphine, oxycodone, hydromorphone, buccal fentanyl, etc.
I know there are plenty of conversion charts and calculators online but I prefer first hand experience.

*side note- I inject VERY high doses of hydromorphone(40mgs) 3 to 4 times a day and I use 2 or 3 of the 37.5mcg/hr Fentanyl patches buccally each day.*

I'm trying to find out how much 50mgs of methadone will help me since I am out of my usual medications(I've been prescribed them for about a decade for a severe spinal problem that causes constant intractable pain.)

Any input is appreciated. I apologize if for some reason this post needs to be moved or deleted. It's been a long time since I spent time on BL so I've forgotten some of the rules.
Thanks ?
-jB-
I'm curious if the 50 mg of methadone helped at all ?? I have a tolerance very similar to yours and want to know if methadone 50mg/5ml helped you ??

Be very careful because methadone can contain either 1mg/ml or 10mg/ml - NOT a mistake you wanna make.

/\
Hey read the OP man, wff that's literally the whole thread. The mans got a tolerance...

50 mg of methadone will probably keep the withdrawals away. Certainly it won't be as 'peaky' as fentanyl/hydromorphone are though

My doctor always counted methadone as 10x the potency oral extended release morphine. e.g he would count 1200 mgs of oral MS contin as equal to 120 mgs of methadone.
And id have to agree. when a local methadone doctor refused to refill my Rx of 120 mgs of methadone daily my family Dr gave me 6x 200 mg MS contin per day to replace it.

last fall I lost my back pack which had 3 days of my methadone in it. I was forced to go to the emergency room, the doctor there was understanding but had no license to Rx methadone. he compromised and gave 8x 24 mg hydromorph contin capsules for 3 days un til I could get my methadone refilled. I had to go to the hospital twice a day and take 4 capsules in front of a nurse. so ya 8 caps a day. and it did the job.

IV morphine id say oral methadone is maybe only 3 times the strength. and its probably 5 timnes stronger then oral oxycodone in my opinion

It's so much stronger than oxy I was only taking sixty ml or ninety on weekend and mymoxys wild not work. I did this for six month only at the weekend and still had a horrible rattle.
Morphine is 1.5x less stronger than oxy orally

/\
Hey read the OP man, wff that's literally the whole thread. The mans got a tolerance...

Sorry, I was very very drunk at the time I posted that (and I have a memory disorder even when sober). I apologize to both you and the OP for wasting your time.

when you go to detox or even the clinic the highest dose of “done” the nurses will give you is 40 mg. So when you think about all the different types of people. Doesn’t matter if your Big, small, a hardcore user or a habitual user no matter what everyone will start at 40 unles you are already in a program , some people are hard core user. So I believe the 50 mg of “done” would be weaker then the liquid oxy or dilly

It is IMPOSSIBLE to know since depending on a lot of factors from what I have read you absorb anywhere from 40% to 99% of any given Methadone Dose and when you take it Daily it will take 3 Weeks (21 Days) before the Blood Plasma Levels or what ever reach the maximum amount of Methadone in your Blood when using it daily. . Essentially when you take it Daily your Dose will Double up to what ever amount your absorbing and I know from experience using things like ranitidine and Omeprazole and looking at Studies that Stomach Acidity makes you absorb less Methadone and the less Stomach Acidity the more Methadone you absorb but the point is the amount of Methadone that you absorb or is equivalent to say Oxycodone could be anywhere from 45MG of Methadone in your blood to like 1000MG of Oxycodone for any given Dose since Methadone has fast Metabolizers and SLOW METABOLIZERS.

Methadone absorbs in the intestines and not in your stomach meaning the drug takes effect in 2 to 4 Hours and not in 30 Minutes to 60 Minutes for full effects since it needs to absorb through the stomach to get to where it will actually absorb into your body and producing the desired effects. I would type more and explain it better but I am not exactly an expert in this area and I just don't have the time right now but I hope this post helps you out in someway.

Last edited:
Do you have a tolerance? Because if not literally a sip can kill you. I'm saying this as harm reduction, not not lcture you, btw, lol :)
Yeah my tolerance is absolutely crazy after being on 50mg methadone and useing fent/carfentanil/ heroin for Last 6 months , I can take how ever much oxy I can get , i have taken6/ oxy 80 s original ( crushable ) and it would't even touch my withdrawals , so getting High on oxy is out of the Question

when you go to detox or even the clinic the highest dose of “done” the nurses will give you is 40 mg. So when you think about all the different types of people. Doesn’t matter if your Big, small, a hardcore user or a habitual user no matter what everyone will start at 40 unles you are already in a program , some people are hard core user. So I believe the 50 mg of “done” would be weaker then the liquid oxy or dilly

They had me on 60mg and I knew guys there who were anywhere up to 120mg (one guy I THINK may have even been 140).

Grateful is correct.

They had me on 60mg and I knew guys there who were anywhere up to 120mg (one guy I THINK may have even been 140).

Methadone is used in the treatment of addiction as either a maintenance drug or a detox drug. Maintenance doses have no cap. Detox doses will not exceed 40 mg (by federal law).

As every single dose is reported to both state and federal agencies, I presume you are referring to maintenance doses.

Grateful is correct.

Methadone is used in the treatment of addiction as either a maintenance drug or a detox drug. Maintenance doses have no cap. Detox doses will not exceed 40 mg (by federal law).

As every single dose is reported to both state and federal agencies, I presume you are referring to maintenance doses.

Ah. It's national thing. I'm in the UK. As far as I'm aware there isn't a maximum maintenance dose here (or if there it, it is very high).