Lieing on 911 call for an overdose...

Medical professionals are medical professionals for a reason and are trained to recognize the symptoms of an overdose. Don't be naive.

You party, you assume responsibility for yourself and those with whom you choose to indulge. Only a true coward would risk the life of a friend to save his/her own ass.

Many of you remember the story of Brandon Vedas, known to his online friends as "Ripper." I am posting this harm reduction essay in the hope that you will learn from it. More are available in our newly created Harm Reduction Forum.

Be the Hero, by Anonymous

Be safe, everyone.

PottedMeat said:
Listen up! You fucking idiot.

The 911 operator needs the true facts of the emergency circumstances. An OD is very easily controlled, IF treated in time.

When the emergency people arrive to save your socalled "friend"'s life, they need to know right now that he is OD'ing and on which drug.

One day, in the distant future, technology will advance to the level that I can physically knock the shit out of someone on the other end of my computer.

You are obviously the fool here potted meat. What the poster is suggesting has subsequently been validated by mods and others - i.e. "my friend is unconscious".

Saving the life of someone ODing is absolutely the priority but if this can be achieved while minimising negative consequences to others then it should be done.

The Lee Deluxe has brought up a valid point and your ridiculous, infantile rant has made you look like an immature asshole!

I do not give a fuck if the Pope "validated" this pricks actions. The rescue people need to know which drug the "friend" is od'ing on.

Dumbass.:p

NO, the paramedics need to know, the phone operators DO NOT. All you need to get across on the phone is that you need an ambulance ASAP (i.e. tell them someone is unconcious/not breathing). Once they get there you can tell them your friend is OD'ing, they will have all the neccesary equipment with them anyway.

Basicaly if you tell them over the phone there is an OD you may end up having police & an ambulance crew there, and yes an OD is probable cause to do whatever they want.

Paramedics have to be prepared for any situation. Lots of people lie during 911 calls, but sometimes it's unintentional. Many times, the people making the call don't know the full story of what happened... maybe they just happened to come across this unconsious person. This is why the simple explanation that "not breathing" or "unconsious" works well. The operator in cases like this is simply no more than a dispatcher. Just remember, 911 is for medical, fire, and police... same dispatcher. You may get cops anyway.

The paramedics will have most all of the life-saving drugs they need on hand, considering that it isn't that uncommon for drugs to be involved in a situation where someone stops breathing. If paramedics showed up at my house for a call I made in this case and didn't have some common shit to help the OD, I'd have to beat their ass, take the ambulance, and get my buddy to the hospital myself.

Of course, it would also depend on the OD. Some OD's aren't fatal... in those cases they may rush the person to the hospital before getting or administering those drugs. Thorazine would be a good example there. It's not necessarily a life saving drug, but it will sure as hell end a bad trip. I dunno if the paramedics would carry something like that if you didn't tell them before hand, but they will have the life-saving drugs.

If you live somewhere where the paramedics don't carry those life-saving drugs by default, get your ass out of there and take your recreational activities elsewhere.