• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Levorphanol for pain management

Uhm..no...people here, (in Canada it was a gelcap with powder in it), the 2mg purple ones, loved to inject it, it works instantly and lasts a very long time 12-15 hours that way even.

Yeah, so I don't know what the deal is. This isn't a gel cap, it's the 4mg pressed powder tablet. I took it as prescribed for a few more days, but I am disposing of it. It has been less than useless; I'm experiencing no noticeable reduction in pain and having adverse effects that I believe to be related to the addition of this medication. I have not experienced any euphoria or "high", but I didnt really expect to, having been on Dilaudid HP injections every 4-6 hours for over a year after my tolerance was sufficiently high to render most oral meds of variable bioavailability useless. I seem to be in that class of 4-7% of patients for whom oral meds lack effectiveness due to dysfunction of the central nervous system or gastrointestinal processing.

Additionally, ever since the very first dose, I have been experiencing an exacerbation of the chronic nausea which is common in patients who do not tolerate oral meds well. That was difficult enough, but last night I also began hearing voices that could not possibly be real. For one thing, it was only me and my dogs at home; for another, I am very hard of hearing and do not intercept conversational voices without additional support. This set me about researching everything I could find on Levorphanol and psychiatric patients, and it took no time to come to the realization that a patient with my psychiatric condition has no business taking it. Being that it is another week before I see my doctor, I made the executive decision to throw the drug out and not risk an increase in psychiatric symptoms. For this I cannot blame my doctor, as I have declined to make my pain clinic aware of my psychiatric diagnosis. I won't argue the efficacy of this choice. It was a personal decision and one I stand by.

It sounds like Levorphanol is a wonder drug for patient who are receptive to it, but it unfortunately sounds like I am simply not one of those people. It is a pity, though. I had such high hopes for this one. :'(

I don't think I'm ready to detox the suboxone for a program by a pharma company that doesn't have a presence in Canada but does in the US (common, we got no Mallinkrockt or whatever the spelling here, so no strange white square dilaudid), not much chances I could be part of that study, "most signs points to No", as that classic simpsons magic 8-ball would say.

oh, for sure you wouldn't want to even try with all of that to potentially lose. I know that if I were on a regiment of medication that worked and was sustainable, no way I'd risk losing that for a gamble on another drug.

I never IV it and heard great things. My pills were a 200 bottle of white near impossible to crush pills. They work great and noticed it after the first dose, but for more serious pain it probably takes days to set on. I'll let you know.... The worst withdrawals of my life has been from levorphanol. Don't underestimate it just remember it has no cross tolerance so may not just take over another opiate dependency and may need time for the regular opioid dependancy to wear off for this medication to work at full effect. My situation was not like that were I used it after bupe patches so I don't know how it is to transition with an already built dependancy.

Again though I've heard IV is amazing with it

I never IV it and heard great things. My pills were a 200 bottle of white near impossible to crush pills. They work great and noticed it after the first dose, but for more serious pain it probably takes days to set on. I'll let you know.... The worst withdrawals of my life has been from levorphanol. Don't underestimate it just remember it has no cross tolerance so may not just take over another opiate dependency and may need time for the regular opioid dependancy to wear off for this medication to work at full effect. My situation was not like that were I used it after bupe patches so I don't know how it is to transition with an already built dependancy.

Again though I've heard IV is amazing with it

Thanks for the information. I shot it once out of pure desperation for it to work, still nothing. Once I had about a week's worth in my system, I threw it out and will deal with the consequences with my doctor. I don't care. I started hearing my dad talking to me from inside my closet; too bad I'm Deaf and he's dead. I got with a friend of mine who's obsessed with researching this stuff, and he was quick to locate a few studies talking about dissociation and hallucinations in patients with a history of intermittent psychosis, which somewhat describes me. The last time I went psychotic it was precipitated by low-level carbon monoxide poisoning, and it got very bad very quickly. So, you know. I'm not interested in anything that could even remotely trigger that again.

I threw it out, I think, about 3 days ago, and I'll be dealing with the consequences of that decision when I go in on Monday. Legit do not care. I'm not hallucinating anymore, but I feel strangely disconnected from reality, like I'm sort of watching someone else live my life. It's really odd.

Yea I saw the hearing things after I posted and from your descriptions that's very severe. Your doctor probably won't complain unless you get other meds even if from another doctor with the only exception possibly being the ER although only if you go out of emergency pain vs drug seeking, but I would recommend giving a call and updating your doctor about the serious change the drug caused. It's best to keep then informed as immediately as possible

Yea I saw the hearing things after I posted and from your descriptions that's very severe. Your doctor probably won't complain unless you get other meds even if from another doctor with the only exception possibly being the ER although only if you go out of emergency pain vs drug seeking, but I would recommend giving a call and updating your doctor about the serious change the drug caused. It's best to keep then informed as immediately as possible

Fortunately, since this was part of a supported medication change, I still have access to what used to be my "breakthrough meds", it's just that now I'm using them as frontline defense. I did leave a message at the clinic to let my doctor know what was going on, but I shouldn't end up needing anything else. I take Dilaudid HP every four to six hours and still have oxycodone around the house if I'm desperate, so I'll make it to next week.

More than anything, I'm just frustrated. I had good pain relief with methadone for five years. I still took oxycodone and hydromorphone, but it was like once a day each. Now that methadone is off the table, it seems like there's nothing else that's going to work as far as a long acting drug and I'm going to be on Dilaudid injections 5-6 times a day for life. That is just sucky. :(

Taking your old medication should be understandable just make sure they don't say your sick sick stockpiling meds although that's unlikely I only had that happened with a curropt sub clinic for saying that after I found one on my floor months later I didn't realise had been there to keep me from using heroin. The fact you're not buying it off the street is what makes it more likely you're OK.

Have you tried opana/oxymorphone? I used that as breakthrough with oxycotin 12 hour for mantinance and had amazing and stable relief... although I injected my 5-10 mg doses 6x a day and had 60-120 mg oxycotin. The opana has a 7-9 hour half life so actually lasts a fair bit longer than hydromorphone. It does have only 10% oral bioavailability so may not be the best choice, but worth a shot. It does not provide any rush IV just an immediate clean effect I found oxycotin 60 morning, 30 at lunch, and 30 after dinner to work best with oxymorphone 4-6 times a day for breakthrough where nighttime is more necessary than if needed and at a higher dose. It may work for you or it may not, but without trying there's no way to know.

I have tried Opana, I want to say it was at the end of last year and was about 30 miligrams three or four times a day. Thankfully I only did a week trial, because it was pretty bad. It had no impact on my RSD/CRPS pain level, but I was high all the time and making really stupid decisions in result. Like "yeah, I'll just get on the ladder even though i cant walk on even ground and climb up on my 2 story house's roof, why not? I can clean off the moss and bring up my telescope for pictures!" Once the high wore off, I hurt even worse than normal but with no options for anything to take for it. It was just a bad time all around.

The combination of the brain trauma and the absorption problems with my gut just sort or ruins my life every chance it gets. Rude. ;)

I know everybody wants to think theres some ultimate awesome opioid that never gets Rx'd because it's just too awesome, lol...

But doctors work for the patients at the end of the day....which kinda makes me think that there just MAYBE a reason why you never hear about Levonal (?)...probably because it's not as good as every other pain-killer that's commonly prescribed today, or potentially not as safe, or well known etc....

So I'm only assuming that there are plenty of safer, more effective, better tolerated, all around better narcotic pain-relievers in the United States Pharmacopea, and that's probably why it doesn't get Rx'd as much.

Idk it was even legal in the U.S., but if it's been on the market for any length of time, and IF it had any decent qualities, SOMEBODY would have tried it somehow, and reported back to the junkie hive, I assure you. So if you haven't found any rave reviews or "trip reports' for the stuff yet, there's a reason, besides plain availability issues.

Good luck with that pain, she's a mean old piece of shit bitch....now, slap her back with new & improved, Vicodin XL....half the dose...twice the size!!! So when you choke to death, you can't publish negative reviews!
Just the way they like it

Last edited:
I know everybody wants to think theres some ultimate awesome opioid that never gets Rx'd because it's just too awesome, lol...

But doctors work for the patients at the end of the day....which kinda makes me think that there just MAYBE a reason why you never hear about Levonal (?)...probably because it's not as good as every other pain-killer that's commonly prescribed today, or potentially not as safe, or well known etc....

So I'm only assuming that there are plenty of safer, more effective, better tolerated, all around better narcotic pain-relievers in the United States Pharmacopea, and that's probably why it doesn't get Rx'd as much.

Idk it was even legal in the U.S., but if it's been on the market for any length of time, and IF it had any decent qualities, SOMEBODY would have tried it somehow, and reported back to the junkie hive, I assure you. So if you haven't found any rave reviews or "trip reports' for the stuff yet, there's a reason, besides plain availability issues.

Good luck with that pain, she's a mean old piece of shit bitch....now, slap her back with new & improved, Vicodin XL....half the dose...twice the size!!! So when you choke to death, you can't publish negative reviews!

Omg can we be best friends? I constantly say that about the doctor who tried to murder me, drugs that are shit or that I have reactions to, and foods that trigger my graft... they're trying to kill us so we can't tell anyone they suck so hard! That's how I feel about Opana. Damn Opana, trying to make me fall off the garage. Rude.

I don't know what the deal is with the Levorphanol now... pretty much all of us from my pain group were put on it, and everyone else gives rave reviews. We had our regular meet up last night, and everyone else is like, "Yay! I'm taking less than half of my breakthrough meds, my pain is better and I'm not high, best drug ever!" and I'm still sitting here like "um, I'm pretty sure this is magic cornstarch that doesn't impact pain and also renders you psychotic, sooo..."

Don't know if this has been said before, but the problem with levorphanol is the long half life (12-30) hours, this can lead to accumulation and the agonism of the delta and kappa opioid receptor (kappa receptor agonism may be the cause of some side effects like delirium and hallucinations in high doses). It too is a NMDA antagonist and seems to block serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake, making it useful for neuropathic pain.
High doses can lead to increased anger, irritability, mood and/or personality changes.
Compared to methadone is seems to not cause Q/T prolongation and it's not metabolized by the CYP 450 system.
A paper that I read concluded, that it could be safer than methadone, so I'm not sure why it's that uncommon

A paper that I read concluded, that it could be safer than methadone, so I'm not sure why it's that uncommon

My doctor has said it basically comes down to cost. I get a month of methadone for $2.30; Levorphanol was going to be $1,400 after my insurance. If memory serves correct, methadone is only $30 per month at the dose I was taking (6x10mg/day) while Levorphanol without insurance is $4,000-6,000 depending on dose.

He basically said that when we went the direction of the "codone" drugs, Levorphanol fell out of fashion and, though occasionally used, it became an orphan drug - one considered to be highly useful, but only in a few situations. It mostly came from compounding pharmacies for some time, which is why people might remember it as a capsule of varying color depending on where they got it. It's now being viewed as a better alternative to methadone for a number of reasons, including the multi-drug toxcicity deaths for which methadone has been assigned blame and the risk of long qt.

Methadone has worked for me for a lot of years, but looking back I have no idea why I was placed on it to begin with. I'm a cardiac implant patient with arrhythmias and chronic familial hypoperfusion, so it does seem a bit of an odd choice in retrospect.

Indeed, you have jewel there, usually Canada has better long-duration opiates as in they work (generic oxycontin, HydromorphContins), but ZoHydro is a very reasonable choice, especially that the 5mg tablets with nothing else are very desirable compared to typical Empracets given for moderate pain (I don't know what you call these or if you even have them, they're either 30mg codeine or 60mg codeine with 300mg APAP....CodeineContins as we have here, even at the 200mg level, do not come close to eating 4-5 (it stays in the safe zone regarding the apap) and get an actual effect from the Codeine. ZoHydro which Massachusetts banned (I didn't think states were allowed to ban legal medication) is very rarely scripted, so rarely I never saw one person on BL with chronic pain who was using ZoHydro, my only warning against them is, some people are going to try to do like pharma junkies (90% of the opiate abusers in Canada as Heroin is pretty rare outside Southern Ontario and Vancouver) is some would try to mortar and pestle the stuff and inject it...injecting hydrocodone is bad news. But when I was prescribed 5mg Hycodan tablets for extreme cough during 3-4 times for bronchitis and twice for pneumonia, once in syrup form, and our Hycodan is unlike the American Hycodan which contains an additive that would make anyone try to take more than 20mg feel very bad side effects). But yeah, hydrocodone somehow being stop-gapped at 10mg per IR pill is a bit ridiculous when you consider oxycodone, morphine, hydromorphone dosages we got here...we've got oxymorphone approved, but it's not marketed, so only a very compassionate doctor will give you a prescription to mail to a compounding pharmacy to get your (unfortunately no 10mg IR Opana-like pills), but they do make all kinds of Oxymorphone XR dosages, but as generic Oxycontin made by 8 companies which are as effective without cheating (no chewing, or snorting or dumber, injecting, although you can chew them like I did when I first had an oxycontin connection when it was the old brand name ones, I could get only the 10mg ones, so I skipped those as much as I could for the 20mg OxyIR's, as strong as IR oxycodone goes here.

But yes, ZoHydro is genius if the bioavailability is great, yet nobody is scripted it. Even your own version of XR Hydromorphone sucks balls, Exalgo, which when it came out, the max dose was 16mg...ffs, and they are 24 hour pills, now I know they went up to 32mg, but compared to non-shitty dosages, considering the oral BA of hydromorphone...even when I had a very low tolerance (mostly just 300mg codeine would have myself nod very hard), eating once, foolishly in retrospect, 12mg of Dilaudid, and then 6mg and 9mg HydromorphContins...the whole thing sucks until you reach the 18,24 and 30mg ones. Those work very well and do not need injection to be actually useful, although junkies worship the 24 and 30's because "that's so many shots!" and I was guilty of that when I couldn't get Dilaudid or OxyIR during the lull where there was no Oxycontin because of the ex Ontario PM and her crusade against Oxycontin making federal law until Purdue voluntarily let the original CDN Oxycontins stocks expire while they worked on the shit that is OxyNeo, they're shit for pain patients as well as recreational to full blown junkies. Same with Jurnista, nobody is scripted those, even if they go to 64mg, they're 24 hour pills with a pretty creepy mechanism of delivery and even creepier fact that one will shit them out as they are fully plastic. So whenever I was scripted Hycodan tablets or syrup, 5mg/5ml or 5mg per pill with no other active ingredient, I'd need more than 5mg to stop the coughing or to get a high, that happens when you reach 25mg minimum. I had an unending supply of Hycodans before I had an appointment at the ORT clinic where they would assess me and my needs for Methadone as an abandoned pain patient. So ZoHydro is a brillant idea, too bad the reactionary forces in the US, will only allow the rich to get a script for them nowadays (notice I was snarky here, but good luck obtaining it), but as I was saying, Exalgo is now used more and more from my open source research, so maybe ZoHydro will show up as mainline product for chronic pain. Not shit like BuTrans patches for sure, that's more for chronic low level pain than anything.

Hydrocodone has a solid history of safety, they blame liver problems on Hydrocodone, when your various drugs (last count, there was 3) of differing levels of hydrocodone/APAP, the only one combined hydrocodone product you have that is much less dangerous is Vicoprofen, but I only spoke to maybe 2 people who had a script for it here, in 12 years...I consider it purposefully breaking the product. But still...obviously if you have high doses of Levo-Dromoran, Demerol or Talwin, funky things will happen, and not necessarily pleasant ones, although the Demerol effects outside the painkilling is actually pretty pleasant, reminded me of when I was smoking weed for the first couple years, opiate painkilling with a silly good mood that goes with it. Of course, high doses of Levo-Dromoran can in certain people give them a Salvia experience, I don't think it is generalized and should not just be in the dark. I'm amazed at how expensive generic Levorphanol would have cost you....my older friends told me Levorphanol 2mg purple gelcaps (from an actual generics company, not compound pharmacies) was very cheap, codeine cheap. There's no reason a monthly script of a very old opioid would cost 1700 dollars, only in an unfettered capitalist system with absolutely no government oversight (and the good kind of oversight, single payer, not Obamacare, Obama who claimed Americans were not ready for single payer reminds me of Bashar Al-Assad's interview before the Arab Spring psyop where he said, he tends to implement it in the future but that right now Syrians are not ready for democracy, of any kind. Funny to notice they're having elections since they heard what the US, the GCC and Turkey had in reserve for him, they can't be full fledged totally free elections, but that's elections happening in a country who at the time in 2012, the government controlled half of the country only. I got good reasons to think he was targeted as he was going to implement democracy pretty soon. Wouldn't bet he first time, remember the first 9/11, in '72 coup promoted by the Cocaine Importing Agency, in Chile. Or Iran in 1952 on a Democratically elected leader, or their first test, in Syria a couple years before.

JFK should have destroyed the CIA "and scattered the pieces to the wind" much earlier...

Last edited:
I've been taking Levorphanol for 4 months for pain management. My prescription is 2mg 3 times daily. It has changed my life so much for the better my wife's included. I came off taking 200mg of Nucynta 2x daily to the levorphanol. I was sleeping on average of 16 to 18 hours a day. So much more energy, not aphetamine type but the no need for a nap during the day type. Constipation was terrible at first until I discovered a diet of an apple a day keeps the painful stomach away. I have not abused the drug and feel that is necessary not too, so I keep my sanity daily, because lord knows life is hard enough sober and pain free, I live with severe RSD and that's enough of a stumbling block. One thing for sure is get good insurance because levorphanol isn't cheap. My monthly bill for just it alone is $3500 a month. Thank you Lord for blessing me with an insurance agent who cares. Anyway here's my personal list of side effects in order of worst to least,
1. Sinus congestion / runny nose
2. Watery eyes
3. Near sight bad although age could be a factor
4. Dry eyes I know I said watery on 2 but it's like your eyes can't regulate correctly anymore
5. Bad snoring now my wife says
6. Dry mouth now that I snore with my mouth open.
7. Daydream very easy. Driving is not safe anymore.
8. Vivid dreams

The side effects I like are the following and are NOT in order.
1. 55 beats a minute heart rate
2. 100/60 blood pressure
3. I've become alot more passive and a better husband to my wife along with less depression, and we all know how easy that comes with opoid use.
4. A new found vigor for life in general, which has been hard the last 10 years with this disease. Thank you Lord for levorphanol !

This is an interesting topic. Thank you for bringing it up, Pembroke. I'm sorry that the switch to Levorphanol was worse than useless for you. Every chronic pain patient in the US with a verifiable condition is now at the mercy (if you can call it that) of "best practices" and CDC guidelines that are limiting access to certain drugs that can make a difference between having a life and being completely inactive and permanent brain fog.

I have radiculopathy and am lucky-hydrocodone has worked for 7 years without running up the dose. My PM people, starting last year, have made the usual suggestions motivated by the change in the laws-a bupe patch, tramadol etc. Not happening. I would like to try Zohydro but there's little chance of that. Besides,I have hypomotility- I probbly couldn't completely digest it!

I have mentioned this before but I belonged to a forum for medical practitioners who specialized in Family Practice. The threads about pain management were painfully unsympathetic and occasionally ignorant. I remember one poster swearing he would never prescribe a controlled substance no matter what. I hope he never needed surgery or had a traumatic injury-he might run into a clinician who felt the same way. APAP anyone?

Anyway, I was scheduled to visit your state three days before my script ran out. Even my PM people advised me not to try and fill an out-of-state script in WA.

Last edited:
Washington really isn't that bad - but filling an out-of-state controlled script is a nightmare pretty much everywhere. I still wanted a long acting to replace what I'm on - Dilaudid HP every six hours, which is tiresome and controls what I can do - so we tried hydromorph-contin last month, and that was also a nightmare. I wish there was a long acting that I processed correctly and that worked as efficiently as the HP.

Have a beer with HydromorphContins...the equivalent was removed in the US after just 6 months...they called it Palladone XR and it was removed because drinking alcohol would cause "dose dumping"....honestly I tried it with 3 shots of johnnie walker after eating a 24mg HM Contin and I noticed a difference, but it wasn't like I'M GONNA OD. I was a bit mad, since then my DOC was hydromorphone, but sometimes my guy didn't have his brand name 4mg and 8mg Dillies so he would sell me his most important medication, his 30mg (highest dose) HMC's, the big red bombs, that was a lot of shots once crushed in a mortar and pestle....although if I had put my hands on Dilaudid-HP (it's 10mg per ml right?) I would have not needed to go to ORT because "you're under 30, you don't need anything stronger than codeine". Now 5 years later, and I'm on my way to the Pain Clinic with a perfect score at the ORT clinic of compliance, I'm getting 60mg generic oxycontins, don't know what generic company, but what is called Oxycodone-CR.

PM doc suggests switch to Levorphanol

My PM doctor just today suggested to me that he change my IR pain medication from oxycodone to levorphanol. I have been on IR oxycodone for 6 or 7 years (30mg 4x/day) and various extended rel. meds (currently Nucynta ER 100 2x/day). My state recently passed an administrative rule, which will become law on 1/1/17, that 30mg oxycodone can no longer be prescribed for chronic pain except to cancer patients. So, I was forced to move to the 20mg IR, 4x/day. I have not adjusted that well to the 33% reduction in daily dosage. I told the doc I would research this drug, levorphanol, as I had not heard of it. He said that it was off the market here in the US for 10 years or so, but has come back about a year ago and is being rebranded/remarketed. He said he feels that it definitely has a place in chronic pain treatment, and has the longest half-life by far of any opioid, longer than methadone. I have been researching it since this morning, which led me to this thread. I will let everyone know what I decide and how I make out. Thanks.

:| Hello all...I'm late to this thread but I'm happy I read it. I suffer from pain, whether the sun shines or it rains. Damn, that's an old country song I think.

I won't belabor my issues, as they are described through my long and tedious posts here on BL. I came here after being banned from a couple of CP forums. I'm told I am too graphic and scare the hell out of people when I speak of my evil disease.

All I can say is "pain ain't pretty". I refuse to sugarcoat a turd and tell you it's a chocolate drop. Just shoot me...please.