• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Levamisole and aminorex

Um these are hardly conspiracy theories. There is no question this material is being added to the cocaine intentionally, unless selective breeding has produced a strain of Erythroxylum coca that biosynthesizes levamisole. Let us call it Erythroxylum coca var. agranulocytosis.

to be clear: the levamisole is being added at the source, by the cartels. It's highly unlikely that the DEA is overseeing the adulteration in a direct way because coke in Europe tests positive for levamisole.

I personally am not enamored of any of the theories posited thus far.

If one must implicate a maleficent government, I think Venezuela is a more convincing villain. Hugo Chavez is a crazy person and is known to pal around with FARC.

I may be wrong but I seem to remember reading somewhere that it has chemical properties so similar to cocaine (ie melting point,molecular weight) that it is pretty much undetectable. Also it crosses into base as well. Perfect cut if this is so (from a twisted druglord point of view).

I may be wrong but I seem to remember reading somewhere that it has chemical properties so similar to cocaine (ie melting point,molecular weight) that it is pretty much undetectable. Also it crosses into base as well. Perfect cut if this is so (from a twisted druglord point of view).

2 reasons that even the twistedest drug dealer shouldn't think so:

1) why poison your clients?
2) why make your product heavier before you smuggle it?

...Because the profit you make by adding it there is higher then the extra cocaine you would smuggle by smuggling it uncut and acquiring the levamisole in the United States.

Now why the profit would be higher.. That is the real question. Levamisole has to add something real to the high otherwise it would make no sense.

edit: imo scamming lower distributors is not a possibility. It is way too common to be a scam

Could it be that the drug lords invented some crazy new extraction method containing good amounts of heat and levamisol is just some random pyrolisis product ?

After reading all of this and more it's my opinion that

A) Colombian, Peruvian and Bolivian cartels all have laundered their money to buy massive cattle ranches or large armies to control the land
B) Because of this and obviously they have access to other restricted chemicals, they are able to purchase ton quantities of levamisole
C) Someone (a chemist, a vet) realized that levamisole is a nicotinic agonist
D) Profit => cigarettes in my cocaine! Gimme another!

Plus I'm sure whoever did suggest it as a cut to the cartels also pointed out its antimicrobial properties. Or maybe that was the main reason, and the nicotinic activity was the added bonus. Either way there's at least 2 very good reasons why it's being added despite its price.

Last edited:
My understanding was that levamisole had effects on dopamine levels or the dopaminergic system In general. But this was just what I gleaned from anecdotes.

It's not inactive. Levamisole is a selective agonist at subtypes of nicotinic acetylcholine receptors.

Hmm... I'm wondering if Levamisole might have any value as an ADHD/ADD treatment?

I'm sure caterpillars and aphids high on coca leaf would quickly fly away to find something else to do. Weeee a perfect "repellent"

Also if you think about poisons... rat poison, ant poison, gopher poison, squirrel poison, cockroach poison etc... all of it actually attracts them.... that's why they eat it....

Complete nonsense! Such pesticides are all mixed with the natural food of the species their are intented to kill. Coumarins for example, commonly used as rat poison, do not attract rats in any way...

I remember seeing somewere in a documentary about cocaine and how it's being brought to Europe, that the reason levamisole is added as a cut by the cartels when coming out of the lab, is that it is good at fooling the "street test" for cocaine that the middle men use. Also, when pressed into rocks, it has the same sheen that pure cocaine rocks are known to have.