• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Levamisole and aminorex

The stuff doesnt look like it would be something that could ever be cost competitive with milk sugar, so it's obviously being used for a reason

One explanation that seems to be floating around for the use of a relatively expensive cut for cocaine is that it may increase the potency of the product, allowing them to cut with more inactive crap and still appear to be decent. If it's metabolized to aminorex, that might do the trick here, but even if it isnt, it might have some effect - might it be a competitive substrate for metabolism? Some subtle effect in combination with cocaine?

If it's belived to be inactive, then why use it?

It's more expensive. So it's not a simple cut, and it's too wide spread for them to have just gotten a freighter full of it for near-free or something.

It is hard to seperate from cocaine (is it? do we actually have data on that, or are we just speculating?).
But why do they care if it gets seperated down-stream? Aren't there cheaper alkaloids that could be thrown in?

One place speculated that it might have been added as a tracking agent, but:
a) This is an illegal drug cartel doing it, it is unlikely that they would want to have a chemical trail leading back to them, so this is hard to belive from the start.
b) The adulterated cocaine is so widely distributed and so common it is felt to be unlikely to be from one source.
c) It's belivable that they'd want to know their marketshare if they were big, but how would they find out? sample the coke in a billion places? It's not sure how they'd get the data out.

One thought that came to my mind is.... say the suppliers knew it would cause health problems. They want to know their market share. And they know that the media will report statistics if they cause a public health crisis.... This seems a bit too manical to be real though...

Last edited:
I found some recent mentioning of this issue in the peer-review literature. Maybe somebody with access can enlighten us:

"Letter to the Editor: The Possible Role of Levamisole in Illicit Cocaine Preparations"
Journal of Analytical Toxicology 2009, 33(9), p.620

- Murphy

i have access, but it has not been uploaded yet according to the librarian, i should be able to post it in a month or so...or i can special order it from interlibrary loan or something...

How does levamisole depress cocaine's MP compared to other cuts? Cuz the first thing that comes to mind isn't fooling dogs--it's fooling clients of wholesalers: clients who don't bother to do anything more sophisticated than an MP determination.

You guys realize, of course, that these hypothetical kingpins all own race horses and have private vets. They often share a vet. Supply of levamisole is not a problem.

Levamisole has a melting point of roughly in the 225 - 235 ºC range, whereas coke (off the top of my head) is around 195 ºC.

Firstly I'd like to say I don't post in here very often, (due to my lack of knowledge & fear of sounding like a complete 'tard).

Anyway, I just wondered if anyone has any knowledge as to the possible reactions between levamisole and hypochlorite?

Nearly all 'cocaine' in the U.K turns orange/red upon contact with hypochlorite and it always seems to have a strange 'pharmaceutical' odour to it?
Could that be levamisole?

Firstly I'd like to say I don't post in here very often, (due to my lack of knowledge & fear of sounding like a complete 'tard).

Anyway, I just wondered if anyone has any knowledge as to the possible reactions between levamisole and hypochlorite?

Nearly all 'cocaine' in the U.K turns orange/red upon contact with hypochlorite and it always seems to have a strange 'pharmaceutical' odour to it?
Could that be levamisole?

I wouldn't be surprised if cocaine itself would do this. hypochlorite is a very aggressive oxidizer, it will attack and/or chlorinate lots of organic compounds (even really simple stuff like ethanol and acetone get shredded by it).
Why are you treating cocaine with bleach? Is this some test i don't know about?

You guys realize, of course, that these hypothetical kingpins all own race horses and have private vets. They often share a vet. Supply of levamisole is not a problem.
Supply of it isnt a problem. It's legal and uncontrolled. Quantities that any veterinary practice could use (grams?) are 5-6 orders of magnitude smaller than what would be involved in cutting cocaine at the source and effecting double-digit%'s of the world cocaine supply, if you hadn't considered that.

How large is the world-wide market for levamisole anyway? How large is it compared to the cocaine trade? I wouldn't be surprised if this use of levamisole was significant.

I wouldn't be surprised if cocaine itself would do this. hypochlorite is a very aggressive oxidizer, it will attack and/or chlorinate lots of organic compounds (even really simple stuff like ethanol and acetone get shredded by it).
Why are you treating cocaine with bleach? Is this some test i don't know about?

It's a test to see if your cocaine has been adulterated. Albeit a rather crude & unsophisticated one.

It's been bugging me for a long time as to what that orange/red stuff is. (It's not cocaine that's for sure) neither is it amphetamine. :|

My understanding was that levamisole had effects on dopamine levels or the dopaminergic system In general. But this was just what I gleaned from anecdotes.

Supply of it isnt a problem. It's legal and uncontrolled. Quantities that any veterinary practice could use (grams?) are 5-6 orders of magnitude smaller than what would be involved in cutting cocaine at the source and effecting double-digits of the world cocaine supply, if you hadn't considered that. How large is the world-wide market for levamisole anyway? How large is it compared to the cocaine trade? I wouldn't be surprised if this use of levamisole was significant.

Hmm.

What species consumes most of the world's levamisole?

The South American cattle ranchers who frequent this board can maybe chime in here.

I've cracked it:

Immunomodulatory and Growth Promoting Effect of Dietary Levamisole
in Cyprinus carpio Fingerlings Against the Challenge of Aeromonas
hydrophila

They're using carp as mules.

And to think the answer was hidden in plain sight, right there in everyone's copy of the Turkish Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences.

Seriously though, Less and less cocaine is being smuggled by air. Some distributors just ship it. Often it's dumped to ocean, canal or river floors (when the CG's after you or as part of a routine). This exposes it to rot. So it's not so far-fetched for the source to stir in a homogeneous, ingestible substance that is an effective aquatic antimicrobial and ichthyological prophylactic (google "levamisole aquarium")

^^^
i like the way you think;)

as promised here is the Journal of Analytical Toxicology article, speculate away!

To the Editor:
Levamisole has been identified as an adulterant of illicit cocaine for several years. Levamisole is an imidazothiazole with anthelmintic and immunostimulating properties. It is the levo-isomer of tetramisole. Initially marketed as an antiparasitic, it is increasingly used in cancer management. Recently, the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration reported that 30% of all seizures of cocaine bricks contained the anti-parasitic drug (1). In this Letter, we theorize about the possible pharmacological roles of levamisole and cocaine, pending the availability of experimental data to validate these assertions. Many anthelmintics have nicotine-like properties and mimic the effects of acetylcholine at the neuronal nicotinic receptors of autonomic ganglia and adrenal medulla. Levamisole is also a research ligand used in studying the variety of nicotinic acetylcholine receptors. As an antiparasitic, levamisole acts as a ganglionic nicotinic acetylcholine agonist. It causes muscular contraction of the worm and eventual spastic paralysis of the parasite, which can then be expelled. The nicotinic receptor bound by levamisole also stimulates the parasympathetic and sympathetic ganglia of susceptible worms and mammals given
the drug. Studies in the 1970s demonstrated increased sympathetic activity in dogs receiving levamisole (2), as well as mood elevation (3).

The autonomic nervous system (ANS) has three subdivisions: sympathetic, parasympathetic, and enteric nervous systems. Sensory inputs from the viscera modulate autonomic activity and participate in many important autonomic reflexes. These ascending neurons synapse in the intermediate gray matter of the spinal cord or in the brainstem nucleus of the solitary tract (through cranial nerves VII, IX, and X). Central control involves hypothalamic nuclei. The efferent pathway of the autonomic nervous system consists primarily of two neurons in series, pre- and postganglionic. Acetylcholine is the neurotransmitter released at the ganglionic synapse. Its effect is mediated by stimulation of a ganglionic or neuronal type of nicotinic receptor. Levamisole could stimulate this receptor, increasing the firing of postganglionic neurons and increasing the release of norepinephrine at sympathetic innervated synapses with peripheral tissue (Figure 1A), as suggested in animal studies (2). Cocaine increases sympathetic activity by blocking reuptake of norepinephrine at the postganglionic synapse. Additive, if not synergistic effects could be expected when the drugs are combined. Concerns of increased toxicity with exaggerated pressure response or development of arrhythmia could then arise when cocaine is combined with levamisole.

Reward or pleasurable effects of drugs have long been associated with increased dopamine in the meso-limbic system (4,5). In this system, dopamine containing neurons arise from the ventral tegmental area (VTA) and project to limbic structures such as nucleus accumbens (NAcc) (implicated in predicting reward and expressing adaptive behaviors), the ventral pallidum (with access to basal ganglia and motor control), the prefrontal cortex (behavioral control), and basolateral amygdala (stress responses). These structures in turn communicate back with the VTA primarily through glutamatergic or GABAergic neurons. Behavioral reinforcement is associated with increased dopamine in NAcc. Dopaminergic neurons in the VTA are under modulation by glutamate, an excitatory transmitter that causes an increased dopamine, and GABA, an inhibitory neurotransmitter that causes a decreased dopamine release (6). For example, cannabinoids and opiates are postulated to inhibit GABA release, indirectly stimulating dopaminergic transmission through disinhibition, resulting in euphoria. Interestingly, levamisole was used in the 1990s to alleviate opiate withdrawal in rats (7).

On the other hand, nicotine, and possibly ethanol, would cause a stimulation of glutamate release and increase dopamine in the same brain areas. Stimulation of cholinergic neurons is known to cause release of various neurotransmitters including dopamine, GABA, epinephrine, and glutamate. One possible explanation could be that levamisole potentiates the pleasurable or behavior-reinforcing effects associated with cocaine use through its nicotinic agonist pharmacology (Figure 1B). Whereas cocaine increases dopamine at the synaptic level through its blockade of reuptake, levamisole as a nicotinic agonist may work on glutamate containing neurons at the level of the cell body of the dopaminergic neuron, indirectly stimulating it through the release of excitatory glutamate. Thus, interactions of levamisole at central neuronal nicotinic acetylcholine receptors may explain the linkage with cocaine. The central effect of the combination could likely result in a greater chance of developing seizures (8). Although it was recently shown that levamisole is only a weak agonist of nicotinic receptors (9), the study was aimed at skeletal muscle type of nicotinic receptors. Other research has shown the complex modulatory effects of levamisole on human type neuronal populations of nicotinic receptors. Non-competitive binding of levamisole to central nicotinic receptors
resulted in potentiation or inhibition of acetylcholine responses and other nicotinic agonists, depending on the concentrations used in the in vitro assay (10).

The recent report of agranulocytosis after consumption of cocaine with levamisole suggests another possible toxic effect of levamisole (11). Although an immunostimulant drug, levamisole is also a thioazole. Drugs with reactive thiol groups can behave as haptens and trigger immune or cytotoxic responses, generally by opsonization of white blood cells and subsequent destruction resulting in agranulocytosis. For instance, thioazoles such as the antithyroid drug methimazole have been known for decades to be associated with such an immune response. Methimazole and other sulfur-containing drugs such as carbimazole, clozapine, dapsone, dipyrone, penicillins, procainamide, propylthiouracil, rituximab, sulfasalazine, and ticlopidine account for most clinical cases of non-chemotherapy-induced agranulocytosis. In 2008, at the Wayne County Medical Examiner’s Office in Detroit, Michigan, there were 372 postmortem cases in which
cocaine and/or its metabolites were detected in at least 1 specimen (out of 2412 tested). Of these, 136 (36.6%) also had levamisole present. Interestingly, 89 of these 136 cases (65.4%) had parent cocaine detected in blood, suggesting that levamisole is more likely to be detected after recent cocaine use. These findings are not surprising given the short half-lives of both drugs [cocaine, 0.7–1.5 h (12); levamisole, 5.6 ± 2.5 h (13)]. There were no cases in which levamisole was detected but cocaine and/or metabolites were not.

Although considered an adulterant, levamisole possesses its own pharmacology and potentially augments the euphoria and cocaine-associated toxicities through increased peripheral sympathetic activity and increased central neurotransmission. To validate and empirically prove this hypothesis, we encourage the publication of toxicity reports and new research involving the combination of levamisole and cocaine. Identifying such cases may be complicated by the many combinations of drugs often ingested with cocaine. Of the 372 cocaine-related postmortem cases described, 111 cases also contained detectable concentrations of 6-acetylmorphine in either blood (N = 56), vitreous humor (N = 44), or excretion fluids (N = 11). In addition, ethanol was detected in 99 (26.6%) of cocaine-positive cases. Other common findings included other opiates, antidepressants (cyclic and serotonin reuptake inhibitors), benzodiazepines, and atypical antipsychotics. Many of these drugs may themselves induce seizures.
Lionel P. Raymon
Daniel S. Isenschmid

Levamisole ----> aminorex + rexamino

"Aminorex and rexamino as metabolites of levamisole in the horse." "It has been established unequivocally that the normal use of levamisole products in horses can lead to the presence of aminorex, rexamino and 4-phenyl-2-imidazolidinone (II) in their urine" (in Analytica Chimica Acta, Volume 638, Issue 1, 6 April 2009, Pages 58-68)

So this is why this shit get added! Note that basing your blow could hydrolize the Levamisole, according to this source:
http://chemicalland21.com/lifescienc...ROCHLORIDE.htm

i believe the reason the cartels have used levamisole is that it is snot removed by the freebase process , and a lot of this cocaine is produced for the intention of crack production

It's not inactive. Levamisole is a selective agonist at subtypes of nicotinic acetylcholine receptors.

The one at the bottom has distictly possibler stimulant type structure (I did my postgrad on the SAR of anorectic drugs) as the imine could rearrange and hydrolyse to a PEA, but it's a long stretch to say the least

Would the nicotinic agonism and resulting synergistic mood elevation cause more intense cravings or addiction? If so, there's your answer.

I want to add my speculation as to how levamisole could have gotten into cocaine. Now just think about this , yes unlikely but albeit an IDEA ONLY. Since the FBI or whatever federal officer group cathces drugs as they enter the U.S. Could it be possible that they throw levamisole into the cocaine and put it back into the streets? I just wanted to share that idea.... They mabye wanted a new reason to prove they are taking "something dangerous" away from the streets. I don't really believe this is what's going on but I just wanted to say that cause I'm just brain storming it.

on the paranoia tip, the FBI "or whatever" (DEA ect) in the US are just as profit motivated as are state department of motor vehicles. the whole bloody culture is for sale and so are prisons there ... ie "Corrections Corporation of America"

Any respectable, growing business will advertise. for the DEA, public exaggeration of drug dangers IS ADVERTISING and promotion of their "cause".
any study turning up a "mysterious" cutting agent will be embellished and played up by such an organization.

its country where drug company's finance both commercial promotion of "new diseases" as well as anti-drug propaganda at the national level.

the USA is pretty damn brainwashed enough as is, so i doubt the FBI would need to add dangerous cutting agents to achieve their aims. ;)

conspiracy theories aside: cocaine confiscated and analyzed in Italy has tested positive for levamisole adulteration at concentrations similar to those observed in the US.