Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Let's Talk About Microdosing Psilocybin

Phil.McKeer

Bluelighter
Summary:

Alright so I've UTFSE'd and researched elsewhere online on this, and want to now create a new discussion around my decision to microdose psilocybin.

Intro:

For anyone that has read my previous posts, you'll learn that I dated Foxxy Brown for a couple years, we broke up, I went on subutex, did a rapid taper, tried to come off but was overtaken by depression (pre-existing, rebound) so after a week off completely with just some chills and the knowledge that a few more months would mean baseline living, I decided instead to microdose bupe at ~0.25mg/day and that went on for about a year.

It worked like a fucking charm. It suppressed (won't lie and say it killed) my urge to use, it covered some of my back pain, and it dispersed my black cloud of depression super effectively, as anyone who uses opioids knows they're never depressed when they score and are high.

Anyways, after microdosing the subutex for almost a year I quit (it's been ~45 or so days without bupe now) and it hasn't been so bad. After d/c the subs I couldn't sleep, then brought alprazolam in bigtime to remedy that, became dependent on it because I had used it somewhat regularly in the past (weeks on, months off) and had to now kick the xanax, which was even worse. I got an aggregate ~8ish hours of sleep after a week of the xanax w/d then with a little rotated muscle relaxants and z-drugs I finally managed to sleep and return to some semblance of sleep normality (something like 2.5 weeks no xanax now). Having only used the MRs & ZDs temporarily, now going to sleep with having only smoked weed all day gives me a reliable 5 hours of sleep each night and that was to be expected. You have to pay back opioid and benzo debts, but in retrospect this one wasn't too bad for a 2-year run of dope smoking and almost no suffering to pay except that which you have to go through before sub induction and the bit at the end (and all the money I spent, friends and family I disappointed, etc).

TL/DR - I used to microdose buprenorphine and it was miraculous and I got off it with minimal discomfort for a year of no depression or back pain (the w/d was not severe enough to cause RLS). It is very true that buprenorphine microdose is effective for depression and I'd venture to say some forms of anxiety too, especially in a naive individual. There you go, Harvard. Free.

Main Point:

So, after having UTFSE'd here and researched elsewhere, I intend to start this thread to get feedback from the community in real time and document it as I progress through my experiment of now microdosing psilocybin. I chose this psychedelic because of my ability to get it. Unfortunately the bridges I built to good LSD were lost long ago and I certainly can't get any mescaline. Or B-Zed for that matter XD

I plan on dosing about 0.1g/day dry cap and stem matter's worth of psilocybin. I fully intend for it to be absolutely imperceptible, I don't even expect to feel the early comeup weirdness or tracers, and in fact don't want to. I haven't used any psychedelics for at least 5 years so I should also have close to virgin receptor readiness for the substance.

I hear good things including the ability of low dosed psychedelics to also alleviate depression and microdosing it is reported to be efficacious is other aspects as well like improved cognitive function, more vivid vision, and more exhaustion at night for restful sleep (although I'm perfectly aware of the danger of taking a recreational dose of a hallucinogen while depressed - unless of course you're with a professional like Beverly Crusher, ready to do some Picard mind melding with Sarek of Vulcan shit for 12+ hours).

Back to point. I can also use the LSA from Hawaiian Baby Woodrose seeds (I have a hoard of those), but I'd prefer to start with the item I know is more potent first, at the low dose I mentioned.

I would highly value the community's take on trying the LSA from the HBWR for the same purpose, though.

I would of course perform a CWE for that one, maybe make some LSA delivery system like tab like blotter or windowpane (or even just eyedropper liquid).

Anyways, I'm going to compile a bit more research, here what y'all have to say, and begin my trial at some point this week.

Peace.

Mods, if this should go in Blogs or Experience Reports, or anywhere else for that matter, feel free to forgive me for posting here and whisk it off to where it goes.

Last edited:
Hey Phil. If I had to choose between the two, I would take option one. On the other side, I might try a low dose 100mcg of L or 75mcg at the least.

I consider myself an expert at microdosing psilocybin, it's actually the main reason I buy shrooms. IMO, microdosing serotonergic psychedelics especially shrooms is maybe the only truly beneficial drug you can do everyday. Zero negative side effects and only benefits.

Thanks Chode I appreciate that. King, were you talking about LSD? I'm afraid that's not available to me...but if you were talking about psilocybin in the mcg levels...how do I figure that?

In other words, will 0.1g dry material be enough? It's bruised all blue so I know its potent. But that's 100mcg of dry material. Whats the usual % constitution of magic mushroom active ingredient-to-mass-ratio? Like 5%? 10%? Then I'd be getting only 10mcg of psilocybin, is that enough?

I don't know anything about this. I'll look up % concentration of psilo-compounds of mushrooms right now myself, never have.

EDIT: King, if by just "L" you meant the LSA in my HBWR seeds, lmk. I doubt it/don't feel like that's what you meant though.

EDIT ii: Heeeeee, holding these in my hands reminds me of my first mushroom trip, I was 15. "Don't eat the whole 1/8th" they warned me numerous times. I ate the whole 1/8th XD

Last edited:
There is no way for the average psychonaut to easily measure exact psilocybin levels. I just eyeball my doses.

I've just come off a bupe taper last week. Been micro-dosing 4-aco-dmt for maybe a month and a half. I do think it does help with my depression, anxiety and cravings, albeit short lived..

The problem I'm finding now is that I keep increasing the dose so now I'm not so much micro-dosing as mini-dosing. Now when I take a dose I want to feel it and so take up to 10mg.

The escalation of dose is pretty unsurprising to me so I'm not too worried, I've justified it to myself that it's just to get me through the last bit of my withdrawals, but I'm assuming I'll go back to much smaller doses very soon .....I will wait and see if this happens I guess!

Chode: Yeah, I couldn't find anything where a lab had tested concentration % in shrooms. So would you say 0.1g of dry material is enough? I want to hit that exact threshold where I'm at the maximum undetectable dose - I don't want to feel the comeup weirdness in my body or get tracers but I also don't want to take too little to do nothing at all.

Mushwood: Oh wow 4-aco-dmt looks really interesting...at first it is very suggestive of DMT itself as per the name but looks like it's a prodrug of psilocin or something like that huh? That's good to hear that it has helped you w/ ending the bupe taper and everything, that's perfect to know thank you thank you.

I'm surprised at the dose escalation. Would you say it is because you are craving a buzz of any kind and increasing the dose will do the trick? Because I know the feeling...the reason it took so long to get off H and then bupe/xanax for me was "I don't know what to do with myself when I'm not high". Is it from that?

Or is it becoming less effective, like increasing an opioid dose due to tolerance? I know that for full recreational doses of substances like this and LSD, dosing the next day takes considerably more to produce the same effect.

Last edited:
I'm surprised at the dose escalation. Would you say it is because you are craving a buzz of any kind and increasing the dose will do the trick? Because I know the feeling...the reason it took so long to get off H and then bupe/xanax for me was "I don't know what to do with myself when I'm not high". Is it from that?

Yeah that's exactly why I'm increasing the dose, I couldn't have put that better myself! I've found I'm dosing every day rather than every few days as well.... but I never crave it ...and am confident I won't get dependant on it (Yes where have we heard this before! hehe ...but it's apparently non addictive so we'll see..) I don't seem to be developing that much of a tolerance

And yeah it's a prodrug for psilocin so the effect is very similar to shrooms which I just happen to have done loads of in the past.. (which may also explain the dose escalation)

There is no way for the average psychonaut to easily measure exact psilocybin levels. I just eyeball my doses.

You can get some consistency in your doses by grinding a batch of dried mushrooms into a powder (coffee grinder or whatever), making sure that powder is pretty well mixed, and then weighing your dose.

This doesn't tell you anything about the psilocybin levels, but at least you are dosing the exact same strength of the compound at a known weight each time. Better than eyeballing. This is what I'd do for a microdose regime, because you'll want to tweak your dosage fairly precisely.

You can get some consistency in your doses by grinding a batch of dried up mushrooms into a powder (coffee grinder or whatever), making sure that powder is pretty well mixed, and then weighing your dose.

This doesn't tell you anything about the psilocybin levels, but at least you are dosing the exact same strength of the compound at a known weight each time. Better than eyeballing. This is what I'd do for a microdose regime, because you'll want to tweak your dosage fairly precisely.

That's what I needed. Thanks p-dawn.

What if a person were to microdose .5 grams a day...would this lead tolerance if they decided to trip out properly on a dose of Ald-52 or Eth-lad?

Yes, 0.5 grams of mushrooms a day would definitely have you develope tolerance within 3 days of consecutive usage. Even 0.3 grams of mushrooms daily with have you develope a tolerance to most Serotonergic psychedelics within 3 to 5 days of daily dosing.

Despite the radical increase in tolerance at any dose, continuing that dose should still be effective in accomplishing what we try to accomplish when microdosing, correct?

Edit: Meaning that the previous two comments are only in reference to being on a microdose regime and then wanting to have a full trip and then being unable from tolerance built from said microdosing, and not that there is some self-defeating inbuilt time limit on how long the therapy can be continued at microdose levels?

Last edited:
Despite the radical increase in tolerance at any dose, continuing that dose should still be effective in accomplishing what we try to accomplish when microdosing, correct?

The answer to this question is not yet known by anyone.

I could see how that would be hard to judge, much less quantify or know somehow.

I guess that's why Hawk's question was in re: microdosing and then trying to take a recreational dose of a similar drug and the effects of the tolerance built by the said microdosing.

It made me overthink.

Alright, so if everyone thinks its a good dose level I'm going to crush up my cubensis material as fine and equal as possible and take 0.1mg's of dry material a day, say, in the morning.

If anyone knows about HBWR seeds/LSA, 8-12 of the seeds I have will produce a good effect, 20-25 being a full trip. A seed's worth to a dose there sound about right for the effects I'm looking for? It's a tryptamine too so theoretically it should have a similar effect. Just something like a temazepam to alprazolam or codeine to diacetylmorphine comparison going on in strength level compared to the cubensis.

Phil, this is way oof what you're asking, but since it seems a great deal of your depression as well as some of your anxiety is induced by lack of opioids, or am I wrong.
Anyway, I had all the same symptoms when I quit heroin and the methadone (methadone was HORRIBLE!) and i didn't know if I'd ever climb out, but I started taking DMT in the form of mimosahuasca every day for a couple of months and by the time I emerged on the other side I couldn't even remeber what it felt like to be anxious and depressed.

That other person died somewhere along the way and this person, the one I am now was all that remained.
It might be worth a try. After this period I started growing my own mushrooms and dosed them regularly, but they didn't have near the impact that the Ayahuasca did.
It's also very easy to get a standard dose after you've experimented with the brew a bit.

Well, the depression was pre existing and was likely what lead to my H use in the first place via self-medication. There's a lot of lower back pain and emotional shit associated with it thats usually kept in check but the flesh is weak.

But yes definitely plenty of rebound depression with the d/c of opioids going on right now.

So DMT was what worked for you huh? I'm inspired by the terms you use i.e. the old you died etc.

This would involve me buying some kind of tree bark and performing form of chemical extraction, correct?