Let's talk about journalling!

^That's so crap ❤️
I remember when my mum "accidentally" read my diaries or whatever you wanna call them as a kid. I was mortified and felt like everyone thought something was wrong with me. Probably right about that lol but was still embarrassing as anything.
Something must be very wrong with someone who does not give a damn about their child's feelings. U should have seen how that idiot had fun with me and my brothers.

A similar thing happened to me too, when I was in high school. I was in love with my friend (who was a girl, and I am also female), and we used to write each other notes and letters every day. I had a big bag of them saved, that I would re-read at night sometimes. My mum is a clean freak and took it upon herself to clean my bedroom one day when I was at school. She found the bag of letters I had from my friend Alex, and she threw them all out.
I was absolutely devastated, and livid. It was the only time I've ever screamed at my mother.
It took me a good solid 15-20 years to get over that.

I journal a lot. Overall anyway. Sometimes I won’t write for awhile. Last year I filled several notebooks like 6 or 7. Depends. I do it all cursive too because I have a silly agenda against the fact they don’t teach it now.

Something must be very wrong with someone who does not give a damn about their child's feelings. U should have seen how that idiot had fun with me and my brothers.
My mum's the best just one of those things I think it was almost too much in the opposite direction lol too caring therefore worried? I sometimes get a bit resentful at my parents maybe because of past and it comes out sometimes and I always regret it. Really in a good place now. I did stop writing by myself because of it though. Unlike your situation she didn't share them with everyone though. I always trusted my mum and still do but I will always remember that. I can't even imagine if she had shared it with everyone, think it was just my dad...once you read someone's private thoughts there's a trust been broke in a way I feel though, it's really not ok to invade someone's privacy like that especially a child!

Last edited:
feel ya. No way in hell u can trust someone who disrespected you like that again. My mom loooved to take my stuff without asking too, and giving it away to god knows who. i never had any privacy at all until i lived alone, which left me with some sort of trauma similar to being sexually abused. All the stuff i write now is well hidden or in codes.
I can agree with the comparison to sexual abuse. All my possessions were given away or discarded behind my back when I was fourteen.
Two years later I was raped by a guy I barely knew.
Both then and now the worst thing ever happened to me was to be betrayed by my mum, leaving me wondering whether my diaries were sold in a jumble sale, could they identify me, was I going to have some weird stalker?
Being raped was also humiliating in every way, I've rarely felt so fucking stupid in all my life as I did afterwards when I pieced it together and realised he fucking planned it. That was bad, but I barely knew him so after I knew I wasn't pregnant, I decided I was at fault for being alone with him, I was young enough to make sense of what made no sense at all.
So I'm saying what it's taboo to say. Being betrayed by my mother who shared my diaries and removed all trace of me was worse than being raped by an acquaintance. Just my opinion, my experience.

Journalling has really taken off in the mental health sphere.
When I was growing up, it was 'gay' to do anything that had anything to do with self-care and therapeutic. For a long time that lingered around my local area. Men had to be tough and women were basically victims and couldn't handle life. They got to do more things like that because it was 'girly' and 'feminine' and essentially indicative of weakness. Men stood around drinking BEER and SMOKING (EMPHASIS STRICTLY A REQUIREMENT - BEER AND SMOKING! BEER!!!! SMOKING!!!! BEING A MAN!!!!) as well as being total units. Yeah, my area had a lot of social problems and still does in many ways. We don't talk about that stuff around here. Rural life for 'ya!

Today it's different and I think the small-minded old fashioned dysfunctional way of living that put people into boxes and prevented them from going deeper has started to fade. We have become more self-aware, more open and more willing to talk about our feelings, connect with others and get beyond facades that kept us playing roles. Our old fashioned means of survival are fading away too, and that means the trauma, the coping mechanisms and the very restricted view of the world are fading. It wasn't long ago that our worlds were quite small and it is amazing how long it takes socially and culturally for shifts and transformations to start coming into view. It can take decades and even centuries for old ways of doing things to fade away and new ones to take center stage. Our comprehension of our mental world and along with it emotional, psychological and spiritual were greatly restricted in previous times and that was down to conditioning that taught us to essentially fear our own minds and put faith in religion. We were naturally cursed and so we needed to repent. There was no time to evaluate ourselves because evaluation meant dancing with the devil. Someone else had to do that. Summon the exorcist! Our society and culture is still based on these age-old beliefs to this day. That's why the ruling 'elite' act in very bizarre ways and at the helm of their visions are to reign supreme in the universe and live forever more. Dying is not allowed. Talking about death is a taboo subject. Talking about the shadow within us all is taboo. Our insecurities and how invalidation, our fears, our paranoia, our anxieties, our narcissism around our finite place in this cosmos are a product of centuries of social and cultural constructs that failed to penetrate the issues we were facing at the time and the direction we were headed into.

It has changed a lot over the last several decades. Along with that, society has been more able to re-imagine ways of expressing itself through mediums like journalling. The progress in our view on therapy and on our understanding of ourselves beyond just material and superficial limiting beliefs.

Mental health awareness has dramatically increased and more and more people are taking their own mental health into their own hands as opposed to the age-old traditional belief of putting it down to a doctor, a psychiatrist or a magician of some sort. Journalling really does help and it helps to hold you accountable and actively involves you in your own life, which is what we often forget about in the modern world. It puts you at the helm and then gives you a platform to do all that as well as increases creativity, introspection, healthy habit-forming and provides an outlet. You become your own psychologist, scientist, life coach and all the data you need is right in front of you. You can go as basic or as advanced as you want. You can record anything.

Bullet journals are amazing too. You can get ideas for these on places like Pinterest :)

Last edited:
Journalling has really taken off in the mental health sphere.
When I was growing up, it was 'gay' to do anything that had anything to do with self-care and therapeutic. For a long time that lingered around my local area. Men had to be tough and women were basically victims and couldn't handle life. They got to do more things like that because it was 'girly' and 'feminine' and essentially indicative of weakness. Men stood around drinking BEER and SMOKING (EMPHASIS STRICTLY A REQUIREMENT - BEER AND SMOKING! BEER!!!! SMOKING!!!! BEING A MAN!!!!) as well as being total units. Yeah, my area had a lot of social problems and still does in many ways. We don't talk about that stuff around here. Rural life for 'ya!

Today it's different and I think the small-minded old fashioned dysfunctional way of living that put people into boxes and prevented them from going deeper has started to fade. We have become more self-aware, more open and more willing to talk about our feelings, connect with others and get beyond facades that kept us playing roles. Our old fashioned means of survival are fading away too, and that means the trauma, the coping mechanisms and the very restricted view of the world are fading. It wasn't long ago that our worlds were quite small and it is amazing how long it takes socially and culturally for shifts and transformations to start coming into view. It can take decades and even centuries for old ways of doing things to fade away and new ones to take center stage. Our comprehension of our mental world and along with it emotional, psychological and spiritual were greatly restricted in previous times and that was down to conditioning that taught us to essentially fear our own minds and put faith in religion. We were naturally cursed and so we needed to repent. There was no time to evaluate ourselves because evaluation meant dancing with the devil. Someone else had to do that. Summon the exorcist! Our society and culture is still based on these age-old beliefs to this day. That's why the ruling 'elite' act in very bizarre ways and at the helm of their visions are to reign supreme in the universe and live forever more. Dying is not allowed. Talking about death is a taboo subject. Talking about the shadow within us all is taboo. Our insecurities and how invalidation, our fears, our paranoia, our anxieties, our narcissism around our finite place in this cosmos are a product of centuries of social and cultural constructs that failed to penetrate the issues we were facing at the time and the direction we were headed into.

It has changed a lot over the last several decades. Along with that, society has been more able to re-imagine ways of expressing itself through mediums like journalling. The progress in our view on therapy and on our understanding of ourselves beyond just material and superficial limiting beliefs.

Mental health awareness has dramatically increased and more and more people are taking their own mental health into their own hands as opposed to the age-old traditional belief of putting it down to a doctor, a psychiatrist or a magician of some sort. Journalling really does help and it helps to hold you accountable and actively involves you in your own life, which is what we often forget about in the modern world. It puts you at the helm and then gives you a platform to do all that as well as increases creativity, introspection, healthy habit-forming and provides an outlet. You become your own psychologist, scientist, life coach and all the data you need is right in front of you. You can go as basic or as advanced as you want. You can record anything.

Bullet journals are amazing too. You can get ideas for these on places like Pinterest :)
Yes, it's a great way to vent, then reflect. I use it to ask questions, often as you work out how to phrase your question, the answer becomes clear.