• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

Let's have a little talk about Serotonin Syndrome, Shall we?

There are definitely cases of mild serotonin syndrome that don't require hospitalisation.

Unless the definition has changed, then no there aren't 'mild' cases of serotonin syndrome and any form will put you in hospital.

It simply means serotonin toxicity usually from a drug interaction

Yeah, and that will put you in hospital if you truely manage to incur SS.

Jess said:
There are definitely cases of mild serotonin syndrome that don't require hospitalisation.

There are certainly cases that are "mild" enough in terms of the patient's ability to make it through without incurring long-term damage without hospitalization. However, there are never cases mild enough to allow one to disregard the absence of a couple or more core symptoms of the syndrome. And in ANY case of SS, seeking immediate clinical examination is the right course of action.

A quick read of the wikipedia article will tell you as much, and it is references plenty of medical journals.

If the wikipedia article suggests a preponderance of "mild serotonin syndrome", someone needs to edit to fix the error.

ebola

There are certainly cases that are "mild" enough in terms of the patient's ability to make it through without incurring long-term damage without hospitalization. However, there are never cases mild enough to allow one to disregard the absence of a couple or more core symptoms of the syndrome. And in ANY case of SS, seeking immediate clinical examination is the right course of action.

If the wikipedia article suggests a preponderance of "mild serotonin syndrome", someone needs to edit to fix the error.

ebola

Yeah I definitely think the core symptoms need to be present for it be SS, but this doesn't always require hospitalisation, but should leave you pretty much immobile. But of course if you do have the core symptoms it's ridiculous not to go the hospital. I didn't go because I have a phobia of hospitals, unfortunately. Luckily whatever I had wasn't life threatening, SS or not. Who knows, even doctors have difficulty diagnosing SS, but there are a definite list of symptoms that suggest the condition, along with of course the antagonist of the situation being a dangerous drug combination or too much of one serotonin agent (rare, but possible).

I don't the wiki article so much suggested a preponderance of mild serotonin syndrome. They more or less described the symptoms of mild serotonin syndrome as being dangerous, but not necessarily life threatening. Here's the full excerpt:

Mild symptoms may consist of increased heart rate, shivering, sweating, dilated pupils, myoclonus (intermittent tremor or twitching), as well as overresponsive reflexes.[1] However, many of these symptomes may be side effects of the drug or drug interaction causing excessive levels of serotonin; not an effect of elevated serotonin itself. Tremor is a common side effect of MDMA's action at dopamine, wheras hyperreflexia is symptomatic of exposure to 5ht agonists. Moderate intoxication includes additional abnormalities such as hyperactive bowel sounds, high blood pressure and hyperthermia; a temperature as high as 40 °C (104 °F) is common in moderate intoxication. The overactive reflexes and clonus in moderate cases may be greater in the lower limbs than in the upper limbs. Mental changes include hypervigilance or insomnia and agitation.[1] Severe symptoms include severe increases in heart rate and blood pressure that may lead to shock. Temperature may rise to above 41.1 °C (106.0 °F) in life-threatening cases. Other abnormalities include metabolic acidosis, rhabdomyolysis, seizures, renal failure, and disseminated intravascular coagulation; these effects usually arising as a consequence of hyperthermia.[1][3]

Don't think this really requires an edit.

Mild symptoms may consist of increased heart rate, shivering, sweating, dilated pupils, myoclonus

The problem with this is you're basically describing the symptoms of any stimulant at a high dose. I'm sure we all agree that increased HR, shivering, sweating and dilated pupils aren't exactly life-threatening and just a typical change resulting from any stimulant really, not just MDMA. That's the problem with it. If we use that definition, any stimulant drug causes mild SS...

Yes this is why theres a sticky up the top of this forum

MDMA/Ecstasy (includes MDA, MDEA etc): A VERY DANGEROUS combination. Do not roll while you are taking a MAOI. This leads to serotonin syndrome, a hypertensive crisis, and eventually death. A number of people have DIED from combining MDMA and a MAOI. DO NOT DO THIS!

Your doctor most likely won't know this and it wont be on the paper they give you at the Drug store :)

DO NOT DO THIS!

The problem with this is you're basically describing the symptoms of any stimulant at a high dose. I'm sure we all agree that increased HR, shivering, sweating and dilated pupils aren't exactly life-threatening and just a typical change resulting from any stimulant really, not just MDMA. That's the problem with it. If we use that definition, any stimulant drug causes mild SS...

Well it is hard to differentiate between SS and the side effects of these drugs themselves, which the article points out. But I think you know if you have SS...I mean, honestly, if your heart is beating extremely fast, you're shivering and sweating at the same time and you have random muscle tremors or reflexes something is bloody wrong and you should probably go to the ER.

Well it is hard to differentiate between SS and the side effects of these drugs themselves, which the article points out. But I think you know if you have SS...I mean, honestly, if your heart is beating extremely fast, you're shivering and sweating at the same time and you have random muscle tremors or reflexes something is bloody wrong and you should probably go to the ER.

I'm not so certain. Simply going for a run will make your heart beat fast and your whole body sweat. But yes you won't shiver.

According to those symptoms I've had mild SS lots of time. Just yesterday I was studying on ritalin & caffeine. I was sweating, heart was probably about 140, my leg was reflexively twitching on it's own. I was fine ofc, I just had classical side effects of combining stimulants.

It's just far too loose for me.

Some great Doctors/Nurses know exactly if it's SS just by looking at a patient and thank whoever for those Doctors/Nurses

Experienced this one night after extremely stupidly putting 8-30mg adderalls up my nose. Idt ill ever do that again. The hallucinations, chest pain and difficulty breathing went on for 3 days.

The real symptoms of SS:

tremor, extreme aggressiveness, akathisia, or clonus (spontaneous, inducible and ocular).

Clonus -- as in involuntary uncontrollable jerking and twitching like a severe parkinson's patient

and significantly elevated temperature.

What some people are calling SS today -- is honestly what used to be called "tweaked the fuck out"