View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Legalize pure ecstasy and sell it like alcohol, B.C. health chief says

trancetasy

Bluelighter
found this OLD article

ecstasy.jpg

Q: B.C.’s chief medical officer, Dr. Perry Kendall, told The Canadian Press on Wednesday that the drug MDMA (“ecstasy”) is safe in pure form. Didn’t it kill all those people?
A: Over the last year, 16 people in Alberta, B.C., and Saskatchewan have indeed died after ingesting ecstasy. But the problem was not the ecstasy itself, it was an added ingredient, PMMA, that caused the users’ body temperatures to rocket to lethal levels. Dr, Kendall posited this week that if production of MDMA was regulated, and if it was sold in government-regulated liquor stores, it would keep users out of the morgue. An Australian paper released this week would seem to agree. On Wednesday, researchers at the Royal Perth Hospital reported that increasingly impure ecstasy had recently caused three otherwise healthy Perth residents to suffer severe heart attacks. “The drug can be stronger than you expect or it can contain other chemicals, so you can’t rely on what’s being sold to you because it’s completely unregulated,” report spokesman Daniel Fatovich told the Western Australian.

Q: So if it’s the impurities that are killing people, does that mean MDMA is harmless?
A: In pure form, research shows that a reasonable amount of ecstasy is not lethal, but that doesn’t mean it’s entirely free of side effects. Toronto’s Centre for Addiction and Mental Health lists more than a dozen MDMA side effects, although much of them are in league with alcohol, such as sweating, dehydration, blurred vision, nausea, vomiting, depression and liver damage. MDMA’s most well-known side-effect is teeth-grinding and jaw clenching, which can result in dental damage. It is why ravers will often suck on a pacifier during an ecstasy trip.

Q: Still, it won’t kill you if it’s kept pure. Do the police care?

A: It doesn’t matter if they care, since, in the eyes of the law, ecstasy remains in league with cocaine, crystal meth and date rape drug GHB. Regardless, the RCMP resolutely maintain that any amount of ecstasy – even pure ecstasy – is “extremely dangerous.” In February, a spokesman for the Coquitlam RCMP told a Vancouver reporter “there is no such thing as a good batch or a bad batch. Every single batch represents a dangerous drug with a serious health risk.”

Q: Are impurities a problem with other illegal drugs?
A: Ironically, Canada’s “controlled substances,” are among the country’s least-controlled commodities. To evade the scrutiny of law enforcement, narcotics are often prepared in concealed, unhygienic conditions with almost no incentive for quality control. In Canada, police raids have uncovered poorly ventilated ecstasy labs stuffed in residential garages and filled with dirty equipment.

Q: Marijuana is entirely legal as long as you use it for medical purposes. Is there a medical case to be made for ecstasy?
A: Created exactly 100 years ago by German pharmaceutical maker Merck, the intended purpose of MDMA was as a blood-clotting agent – although it did not work. Recently, in clinical trials the drug has shown increasing promise as an effective treatment for schizophrenia, depression, post-traumatic stress disorder and Parkinson’s Disease. Last year, a joint British-Australian research team found initial evidence that an altered form of MDMA could combat blood cancers such as leukemia. In late May, David Nutt, a former chief advisor on drugs to the British government, said controls on psychedelic drugs were blocking valuable efforts to test the drug’s medical benefits. “Regulations, which are arbitrary, actually make it virtually impossible to research these drugs,” Mr. Nutt told a London press briefing in May.

Q: Aren’t there similar, reportedly safer, drugs that are legal?
A: Less and less. For anybody with $20 to spend on a pill, back in 2008 there were plenty of pill-based legal ecstasy alternatives on offer, usually from the same stores selling sex toys or marijuana paraphernalia. Said to be a safe alternative to MDMA, the pills’ most common active ingredients were BZP and TFMPP, both from a chemical class known as piperazines. Although the pills are not criminalized, they are not authorized for sale in Canada, and after a March amendment to Canada’s Food and Drug Regulations, the pills can now be legally seized by law enforcement.

It would be a miracle if we could get this to happen here in the US! I think it's time to just go ahead and legalise and regulate everything though, it's really disheartening to hear people say that criminalizing drugs is productive to society (especially because if you ask them about Prohibition, they'll admit it didn't work, but then say "THIS IS TOTALLY DIFFERENT THOUGH" :( ).

We should start arresting all alcohol users aswell and see how practical that is.

All drugs should be legalized for the sake of harm reduction and libertarian values. I'm just not sure that it's accurate to call MDMA "safe", considering its known neurotoxic effects and impactful serotonin down-regulation. But yeah... if the bar of comparison continues to be alcohol, then there is no real argument against it. Alcohol abuse is by far more damaging. At least people on MDMA don't tend to destroy property or get violent.

Also, and this might be a bit nitpicky, but the article references lollipop sucking while on ecstacy. E is not necessarily the same as MDMA. MDMA can be in E but so can many other things.

Also, and this might be a bit nitpicky, but the article references lollipop sucking while on ecstacy. E is not necessarily the same as MDMA. MDMA can be in E but so can many other things.

What? Ecstasy aka. 'E' is a slang term for MDMA, how are they not the same thing? I mean yeah people sell a lot of adulterated or flat out fake ecstasy, but that doesn't mean that the adulterant is the drug it's sold as, any more than a baggie of baking soda is cocaine.

Absolutely! Just because many Ecstacy tablets are free of MDMA does not mean Ecstacy isn't MDMA, it bloody should be!

ecstasy is suposed to be mdma or in the worst case mda, the fact thats now its meth bombs or pipes or 2c-x doesnt mean it should be that way, people got greedy thats it

I tihnk mosty people buy "ecstacy" expecting it to be MDMA; whether or not it's actually MDMA is a silly thing to argue over. But in my mind, nobody says "let's take some ecstacy" to mean "let's do piperazines"!

I tihnk mosty people buy "ecstacy" expecting it to be MDMA; whether or not it's actually MDMA is a silly thing to argue over. But in my mind, nobody says "let's take some ecstacy" to mean "let's do piperazines"!

exactly lol ecstasy in the beggining was mdma, mda, or in the worst case mdma + ketamine or mdma + speed, which in my opinion is still better than having pma or dxm or pipes or 2c-x when youre expecting to roll. Of course no pill is 100 % mdma, because you need binders and fillers to form a pill, but all the love in E is an effect of mdma. People now just take E to get fucked up, thus they dont care when its meth or ketamine bomb. Real ecstasy is mdma or mda or both.

I have pretty much eliminated the word "ecstasy" from my vocabulary. It's become useless.

exactly lol ecstasy in the beggining was mdma, mda, or in the worst case mdma + ketamine or mdma + speed, which in my opinion is still better than having pma or dxm or pipes or 2c-x when youre expecting to roll. Of course no pill is 100 % mdma, because you need binders and fillers to form a pill, but all the love in E is an effect of mdma. People now just take E to get fucked up, thus they dont care when its meth or ketamine bomb. Real ecstasy is mdma or mda or both.

I'd be interested to hear more about the Ketamine combo granted its a strong NMDA antagonist. Does is block any of MDMA's effects?

Is GHBs official name "the date rape drug GHB" like do you have to include the first bit?

Joking of course

I'd be interested to hear more about the Ketamine combo granted its a strong NMDA antagonist. Does is block any of MDMA's effects?

no actually it doesnt....ive tried the combo a few times, both a pill that was mdma + ketamine and taking mdma then snorting K. Its nice but it floors me, its enhance the mini hallucinations of ecstasy and the mind fuck, but i enjoy it. I didnt like it that much in pill form though, i ate 2 rolls then another an hour later and was a bit overhelmed by the K.

Is GHBs official name "the date rape drug GHB" like do you have to include the first bit?
---------

It makes people who are going to the bar tonight to have a pint of the REAL date rape drug feel better.