• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Misc Laughing gas to be banned in the Netherlands: What harm can it cause?

The Shadow Self

Bluelighter

I think that over time, you are going to see many more stories like this and many blanket bans on RCs and other drugs over time. I also believe that sooner or later, the internet drug commerce will slowly be cracked down upon as well. Just as a reminder that while it appears that some of the elements of the "drug wars" has been on pause for a while, I don't have any reason to believe that over time, various crackdowns aren't forthcoming. I don't love that, but I think it very well may turn out to be true over time.

But… people don’t even drive in NL… how the fuck are they getting high on nitrous and then operating a vehicle they don’t own before the high wears off five minutes later?

Like what the actual fuck?

"How many cars are there in the Netherlands?
In 2018, over 8.5 million passenger cars were registered in the Netherlands."

It appears lots of people drive there, based on this data. I was just curious and looked it up to see. Not that I buy the excuse for banning, but again, I was just curious myself.

But… people don’t even drive in NL… how the fuck are they getting high on nitrous and then operating a vehicle they don’t own before the high wears off five minutes later?

Like what the actual fuck?
Many people drive in the Netherlands.

It can kill you.. but it will take a long time and heavy abuse.

The idea that people are using nitros and driving is ludicrous.

"How many cars are there in the Netherlands?
In 2018, over 8.5 million passenger cars were registered in the Netherlands."

It appears lots of people drive there, based on this data. I was just curious and looked it up to see. Not that I buy the excuse for banning, but again, I was just curious myself.
That's honestly shocking. That amounts to about 1 car for every two citizens. I thought NL was way more densely populated than that.

I still don't see how driving is linked. Like what, are people driving drunk with the wheel in one hand and a cracker in the other? If I had to guess those 'traffic fatalities due to n2o' are trumped up charges.

I can read a book while driving. That doesn't mean we should ban books when I crash .

I can read a book while driving. That doesn't mean we should ban books when I crash .
We should ban phones and radios too. They cause more traffic fatalities than alcohol by a long shot now. So drink and drive should be legal but not text and drive if we're just looking at the numbers.

There is no logic to traffic laws. There is only bureaucracy.

Absolutely ridiculous, when are we going to learn? How has drug control went in the past? Not very well. Now let's compare that success to different places loosening drug laws, whether it be decriminalizing a particular drug, legalizing a particular drug, or even decriminalizing drugs as whole, or even loosening legal penalties for drugs/a particular drug. There are many routes a nation can take to fight against substance abuse, tightening restrictions is not that. We have seen many states here in the United States do things such as decriminalizing marijuana, even some legalizing it, we have also seen some cities/states decriminalizing psychedelics. Here recently, Colorado legalized Psilocybin Mushrooms and a few other psychedelics as well I believe. Don't quote me on that, might just be shrooms. But still, we need to see more coutries/cities/states etc. making moves like these. A step closer to change ❤

It can kill you.. but it will take a long time and heavy abuse.

The idea that people are using nitros and driving is ludicrous.
One of my college friends was from Denton Texas and had a friend killed by a driver doing whippets on the road. I think there's also a longer lasting intoxication than people think when people binge and get the blood levels of nitrous high.

One of my college friends was from Denton Texas and had a friend killed by a driver doing whippets on the road. I think there's also a longer lasting intoxication than people think when people binge and get the blood levels of nitrous high.

Sorry to hear that. What do you think the chances of even getting in a car crash with someone intoxicated on nitrous?

You don't even need a car crash when you have nitrous

(Sad news)

We should ban phones and radios too. They cause more traffic fatalities than alcohol by a long shot now. So drink and drive should be legal but not text and drive if we're just looking at the numbers.

Mobiles have been banned on our roads for years! You can get 3 points and a fine in the north and a fine down south. Is it not the same in the states???

I have been in an accident directly caused by nitrous. I worked at Starbucks and I would grab(steal) a case of cartridges to hit out of the cracker I had also stolen. I would drive home while finishing the case off during the 40 min drive. I rear ended the only car on a 3 lane road at a red light. No one except I knew that nitrous was involved in the accident. I was 18 and very stupid. This was over 20 years ago.

Mobiles have been banned on our roads for years! You can get 3 points and a fine in the north and a fine down south. Is it not the same in the states???
It's the same. Though they have not been banned entirely like nitrous has in the Netherlands.

It makes me sad to see the Netherlands going anti drugs. They're maybe the current world capital of research chemicals and have been for quite a few years. Now first 3-MMC, then whippets, and finally a blanket ban like in the 🇬🇧? 😡

No, it’s illegal in many places but not enforced. Maximum penalty is small fines.

I believe texting and driving should be the same penalty as a DWI. It causes significantly more traffic accidents than alcohol does in the U.S. now. If something is that dangerous then I don’t know why it’s so… legal. Half the time when I think, “Oh my god that driver is drunk!” I’ll get passed them and then see them just staring at their phone.

No, it’s illegal in many places but not enforced. Maximum penalty is small fines.

I believe texting and driving should be the same penalty as a DWI. It causes significantly more traffic accidents than alcohol does in the U.S. now. If something is that dangerous then I don’t know why it’s so… legal. Half the time when I think, “Oh my god that driver is drunk!” I’ll get passed them and then see them just staring at their phone.
Oh it’s taken very seriously here. If you lose 12 points you lose your license to drive. If you kill someone, they will check your phone to see if it was being used and if so then you’re in a world of trouble, jail time is probable.

IME if they see you talking on the phone while driving, they may or may not pull you over. Some places will but many, probably most won't. Enforcement/penalties vary.

Texting while driving is illegal pretty much everywhere I think, and they'd probably bust you for it if they happened to be at the right place/right time to catch you

Tell me about it! Same goes for drug laws, or most laws actually…it’s more about politics and appearances. TSA for example. It’s security theater