• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

LADIES on BUPE, need help!!

Opiatehell85

Bluelighter
I am worried sick, started buprenophine detox in January, I've not had a period since. I get some spotting and my tummy is in agony almost like there's a blockage. I've got a scan next week, but I'm so scared, dr said bupe shouldn't stop periods, but it's just too much of a coincidence . Anyone else in the same situation?? Been in pain for three weeks now!

I know we've already spoken about this but I just wanted to wish you luck with your scans and tests, hopefully they rule out anything nasty.

As I said, I've had no effects in that regards since being on bupe (3years) but it does seem like a coiincidence. Will be interested to hear other replies :)

girlfriend was an ex addict on methadone and bupe; she didnt have a period for years. well, we are no longer GF/BF but we both moved on and she got pregnant in no time.

opiates in general can cause weird menstrual cycles, even stop them
not sure why your doc didnt mention this

are you still on suboxone and tapering? or did you already detox and its months later now?

keep us posted on how the scan goes
until then i would suggest try some ginger root tea for your stomach aches

Thankyou anything&everything, appreciated ����
imtrying- that's interesting, but she still managed to get pregnant even tho no periods!?

Deos68- sorry I should of been more clear, I came off full opiates in January and moved onto buprenophine treatment, I'm yet to taper, I'm on a maintainence dose of 10mg, no one medical has told me my periods might stop, even my own dr is concerned, but I do have history of cervical lumps which makes it all a little more worrying, so having a scan done this week to rule out the big CC.
Im just so worried and wanted to see if anyone else was going thru similar things. The pain is there like its gonna happen, mood swings, tender areas etc etc but it's almost as though something is stopping it from coming, thanks for the tea suggestion, I will try that. Will keep you all updated :)

shes got preggo 3 months after she stopping using and limited her methadone use to basically nothing.

shes got preggo 3 months after she stopping using and limited her methadone use to basically nothing.

Ah I see, maybe it is the meds then, well hopefully it is anyway! I'm not looking to get pregnant or nothing, that would be the last thing I'd want right now, but just a little strange to someone who's usually so regular and healthy. Thanks for your replies, they have been helpful.

MAINTENANCE of 10mg of Bupe every day? Thats a HIGH maintenance dose first of all...Maintenance doses should be MUCH lower than that as most people dont need more than 8 to 12mg during their first few days to a week when coming off their previous drug (oxy, H, etc). Id look at getting that dropped to a lower dose if you are planning to stay on it, down to a more normal 8mg or less....especially because it will make coming off of bupe much easier as the WDs from bupe are MUCH longer and worse for lots of people so the lower, more normal maintenance dose will make it much easier to taper off from.

Never took bupe as maintenance. Took it a few times here and there to stay well.

But I have 22+ years on and off opiates including years of methadone maintenance. Opiates--be it full agonists like heroin, or maintenance drugs like methadone and bupe--can screw up your cycle. I went for a long time on maintenance having 3-4 cycles a year. Nothing was wrong. Then was clean for about 9 yrs and after the first year was semi regular, long cycles of 42-48 days but that was always my "normal". Got pregnant after 7 years clean , not like it took that long though, wasn't trying.

Opioids in general mess with hormones like testosterone and estrogen (look how they affect sex drive!!) so it's not at all odd that they affect women's cycles.

Now you could have other issues not related to the lack of a cycle causing your pain. So it's good you're getting checked. But the missing period alone is not at all unusual

Ah I see, maybe it is the meds then, well hopefully it is anyway! I'm not looking to get pregnant or nothing, that would be the last thing I'd want right now, but just a little strange to someone who's usually so regular and healthy. Thanks for your replies, they have been helpful.

Hopefully it is just a coincidence, it does seem like it could be given all is normally regular, but it's good to get checked in case. As I said, I've not noticed any issues on 32mg BUPE over 3 years but ir seems like other people have so that could be good news in a way :). I do know a few who had problems while using other opiates.

Looking forward to hearing the outcome.

Lol this felt like the women's locker room, of basic drug discussion. Like I wasnt allowed in! =]

I scrolled down to "quick reply" right away, just to say that^, so I didnt read any lady problem posts, your privacy is still in tact! =D okay, I'll see myself out...

Bupe is unlikely to be the cause of amenorrhea, but not impossible as you have heard here already; opiates have been known to effect hormones in both men and women. The recent onset(?) abdominal pain and spotting is more worrisome than skipped periods and should be checked out ASAP.

standard disclaimer: not medical advice, etc.

Lol this felt like the women's locker room, of basic drug discussion. Like I wasnt allowed in! =]

I scrolled down to "quick reply" right away, just to say that^, so I didnt read any lady problem posts, your privacy is still in tact! =D okay, I'll see myself out...

me too lol
but i am really surprised that she wasnt informed about the potential side effects
IMO i dont see a need for anxiety about the cycles stopping or them being skipped it isn't as uncommon as one would think

Sounds like your reproductive system is trying to kick back into gear. You may be having some discomfort bc you have more than one follicle growing. When I did IVF they forced me into menopause first so when they restarted my system I would produce a bunch of eggs instead of just one. Maybe thats what happened and your levels just haven't hit the point where you are ready to release the egg yet. Make sesnse? I know a ton about femake anatomy from doing IVF 5 times! My ex was infertile.

I'm on just pure bupe(Butrans patch) and I've had no period problems. Then again, I do have my tubes tied and Im on the drop shot for extra protection. Can you tell I don't want anymore kids? But no problem with periods.

Thanks for all replies, I wasn't asking if 10mg a day was a suitable dosage for maintainence , everyone's different and some days I feel 10mg isn't enough for me so in my own mind I'm doing well, but thanks for your concern about that. Beats a life of drug seeking. Anyway... I did LOL about the locker room comment, I'm sorry if I made you feel uncomfortable, I know this site is mainly men, but I've been worrying and I know there's a few ladies on here that are on subs.

Bit it of a mixed response in wether it could be the bupe, opiates I've took in the past have never messed with my cycle so guess I'm just surprised that it could be the bupe. Suppose all will be revealed, every medical expert I've asked has said it should effect me, but what do they know hey ;)

MAINTENANCE of 10mg of Bupe every day? Thats a HIGH maintenance dose first of all...Maintenance doses should be MUCH lower than that as most people dont need more than 8 to 12mg during their first few days to a week when coming off their previous drug (oxy, H, etc). Id look at getting that dropped to a lower dose if you are planning to stay on it, down to a more normal 8mg or less....especially because it will make coming off of bupe much easier as the WDs from bupe are MUCH longer and worse for lots of people so the lower, more normal maintenance dose will make it much easier to taper off from.

Ive had a few problems with my dosage, and 10mg just about holds off my withdrawal, I have a high tolerance to opiates for some unknown medical reason so I always need a bigger dosage, but they have told me 10mg isn't that much of a big deal, and I'm happy with it, so I will carry on doing my detox on that dosage, I know people on 32mg so I'm really not doing too bad at all. Much better than taking and abusing drugs.

I'm no help probably. but I'm on maintenance 8.6mg zubsolv (supposedly equivalent to 12mg suboxone) I lost my period before starting bupe due to anorexia but since I've been on it my weight has fluctuated a lot and I've been at a healthy weight for months, sometimes quite a few months, at a time and I never once got my period back but I DID start ovulating again. no period though. who knows why ...I always thought I just screwed myself totally up hormonally w/ my eating disorder but maybe the bupe plays a role even though my doctor swore it wouldn't do that.

Ive had a few problems with my dosage, and 10mg just about holds off my withdrawal, I have a high tolerance to opiates for some unknown medical reason so I always need a bigger dosage, but they have told me 10mg isn't that much of a big deal, and I'm happy with it, so I will carry on doing my detox on that dosage, I know people on 32mg so I'm really not doing too bad at all. Much better than taking and abusing drugs.

Yes everyone is different. 10 isn't bad, neither is 32, it's what I needed to keep the withdrawals at bay before I discovered splitting the dose. I don't think im doing bad ?

No sweetie you're not doing bad at all. You too are doing amazingly, as I said before everyone is different and needs different dosages. I'm fed up of having to explain why I'm on 10mg, when the post isn't even about that. Doesn't matter what dose of sub's were on, were both off drugs and that's all that matters xoxo