• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Opioids Kratom? What the heck is this stuff, I keep hearing about?

Deicide1212

Bluelighter
I have been hearing about Kratom, more and more, in the last while. If everything I hear about it, is true. It sounds wonderful lol. But, as with most things that make you feel good, or better, there is usually a down side. I have been taking (snorting) Hydromorphone for 5-6 years, off and on, because of a back injury, amongst other things lol. I hear this Kratom is a good substitute for opioids, helps you through withdrawal...etc. sounds like a miracle lol. Could anyone tell me what this actually is. I prefer a personal view, from somebody who knows first hand, than a google search. Thanks.

I used it to get off of 60 mg oxy a day . It helps you function when you don’t have your normal dose. It takes away the restless leg and helps me sleep . It does t feel anywhere near as good as oxy but it’s a good tool to quit or bridge and where I live I get it at gas station up the street . Taste terrible and if you take too much you will throw up . I mix 3-4 grams with orange juice or sweet tea.

I used it as a substitute for a small off and on tramadol addiction half a decade ago. I'm addicted to it now, I get no pleasure from it no matter how much I take.

In short, it was all right at first but it's just as addictive as other opioids. If you're using it to get through withdrawal then it will suit your needs but don't think you can switch out your hydro for kratom to skirt opioid addiction.

Yeah people constantly try to underplay kratom's addiction potential and act like it isn't an opioid, but it is an opioid and it will produce pretty bad withdrawals if you use it daily. Plus it lasts such a short time, you end up redosing all day long trying to feel normal. It has some pretty wicked RLS when you're using it a few times a day for a while and try to stop.

It's similar to poppy pod tea in the sense that it's plant matter you would be ingesting. You can buy pre-made capsules and extracts too.
Lots of people love kratom. It's not a pharmaceutical. It's a plant that grows in Indonesia and the leaves are what it's harvested for consumption.
You measure out an amount of the powdered leaves and eat them. There are various strains (a bit like with weed).
It's not a proper opioid but it has opioid-like effects so it will work for withdrawal if you take enough and it's therefore capable of causing withdrawal symptoms.

I have been hearing about Kratom, more and more, in the last while. If everything I hear about it, is true. It sounds wonderful lol. But, as with most things that make you feel good, or better, there is usually a down side. I have been taking (snorting) Hydromorphone for 5-6 years, off and on, because of a back injury, amongst other things lol. I hear this Kratom is a good substitute for opioids, helps you through withdrawal...etc. sounds like a miracle lol. Could anyone tell me what this actually is. I prefer a personal view, from somebody who knows first hand, than a google search. Thanks.

It's an amazing little legal plant. I highly respect it. It's got some really decent effects but also has built in anti-abuse into it (you can only take so much at a time).

It is quite addictive, though. Withdrawals can be just as bad as opiates.

For me, it helps to me myself sober from harder drugs. It's also a great coffee replacement.

Natural partial opioid agonist, common dose 3-5 grams orally, I usually take mine either in capsules or orange juice. Comparable to hydrocodone + caffeine. Has effects ranging from stimulating to sedating, depending on dosage and alkaloid content of your product. Definitely works as an opioid substitute for pain relief purposes, but expect to use higher doses to get relief if you are withdrawing from a serious habit.

Natural partial opioid agonist, common dose 3-5 grams orally, I usually take mine either in capsules or orange juice. Comparable to hydrocodone + caffeine. Has effects ranging from stimulating to sedating, depending on dosage and alkaloid content of your product. Definitely works as an opioid substitute for pain relief purposes, but expect to use higher doses to get relief if you are withdrawing from a serious habit.
Thanks for the info, much appreciated. I am currently snorting 36mg of Hydromorphone Contin(Canadian beads) a day, nothing too crazy...YET...I want to get off of them before I get to where I usually get. Any additional info about Kratom, you have, would be appreciated. A couple things I want to know for sure are; how long should I be off the hydros before I start consuming Kratom, what is a good strain to fight opioide withdrawal, and how much would I need to consume (safely) to fight withdrawal. Also, does it fight withdrawal enough, that I would be able to work?

Thanks for the info, much appreciated. I am currently snorting 36mg of Hydromorphone Contin(Canadian beads) a day, nothing too crazy...YET...I want to get off of them before I get to where I usually get. Any additional info about Kratom, you have, would be appreciated. A couple things I want to know for sure are; how long should I be off the hydros before I start consuming Kratom, what is a good strain to fight opioide withdrawal, and how much would I need to consume (safely) to fight withdrawal. Also, does it fight withdrawal enough, that I would be able to work?
I'm sure if you haven't done hydros within a few hours time of consuming the kratom it should be fine. The understanding is that the red veins are best for that purpose, but I've always preferred green strains. They just have the highest alkaloid content generally and are stronger by weight. The second term in the strains name usually just denotes where it was grown. There are particular strains that are blends of other strains as well. That's really a preference thing as to which strains sit best with you, but generally you can't go wrong with anything called bali, indo, malay, maeng da, and my personal favorite is hulu kapuas.

It really will make a difference by what strain you're using. Just start with a single dose and work your way up if necessary to see what dose works best.

These are just my personal impressions, for you it may very well be different:

I have a pretty favorable opinion of kratom overall. Some experiences with kratom are surprisingly recreational/enjoyable and compare favorably with a low dose of traditional Rx opiates. It's also not particularly addictive in my experience. I've had time periods where I've used kratom every day for months and months and months, then stopped cold-turkey and basically experienced no negative outcomes whatsoever. I'd compare it to the w/ds you'd experience from smoking cannabis every day for long periods of time then stopping cold turkey, in that they're practically non-existent. Without a doubt, in my mind anyway, the negative symptoms of quitting kratom aren't in the same ballpark, hell not even in the same state, as the symptoms of w/d from traditional opioids. Which is why I refer to it as "diet opioids" lol

So basically it's an enjoyable, mild psychoactive drug. It'll definitely be a poor substitute if you're into traditional opioids but, for a drug to take on a regular or semi-regular basis or for certain practical applications (like a w/d aid for other opioids) it's quite useful/enjoyable.

These are just my personal impressions, for you it may very well be different:

I have a pretty favorable opinion of kratom overall. Some experiences with kratom are surprisingly recreational/enjoyable and compare favorably with a low dose of traditional Rx opiates. It's also not particularly addictive in my experience. I've had time periods where I've used kratom every day for months and months and months, then stopped cold-turkey and basically experienced no negative outcomes whatsoever. I'd compare it to the w/ds you'd experience from smoking cannabis every day for long periods of time then stopping cold turkey, in that they're practically non-existent. Without a doubt, in my mind anyway, the negative symptoms of quitting kratom aren't in the same ballpark, hell not even in the same state, as the symptoms of w/d from traditional opioids. Which is why I refer to it as "diet opioids" lol

So basically it's an enjoyable, mild psychoactive drug. It'll definitely be a poor substitute if you're into traditional opioids but, for a drug to take on a regular or semi-regular basis or for certain practical applications (like a w/d aid for other opioids) it's quite useful/enjoyable.

I'd wait until you start feeling initial symptoms of opioid w/d, then take a dose of 5-10 grams. That's if you're using raw powder and basically amounts to one heaping spoonful mixed in with water, brought to a boil and reduced to a simmer, to create kratom tea. There are also extracts/concentrates you can experiment with. I like some maeng da strains but generally-speaking I don't perceive much of a difference between different strains.

Do they sell this at smoke shops? I’m curious about it, too. Would it help with meth comedowns? Is it better to get capsules or leaves? How long does the high last? Any uncomfortable side effects?

Can kratom be used while tapering or should it be used when you jump? Can it be used to substitute for your opiate dose? I realize the fact “your just substituting one opiate for another”, but I was thinking if Kratom can be used just to ease the withdrawal symptoms, trying to keep kratom doses low as possible and not take consistently.?

good stuff, especially if you find the right strain and keep tolerance down

Do they sell this at smoke shops? I’m curious about it, too. Would it help with meth comedowns? Is it better to get capsules or leaves? How long does the high last? Any uncomfortable side effects?
Idk about a meth comedown. Your best bet is to stop smoking (or injecting or snorting) that poison before it leads you psychosis.

I bought a bunch of different kinds and quickly after taking like my 4th dose(not sure how much) I passed a kidney stone so maybe coincidental but I doubt it

I bought a bunch of different kinds and quickly after taking like my 4th dose(not sure how much) I passed a kidney stone so maybe coincidental but I doubt it
You passed a kidney stone after taking kratom 4 times?

They take months/years to develop and even more time to pass through the body, I really doubt kratom had anything to do with it.

I mean it was maybe more like my 10th time but all within a matter of weeks and it hurt incredibly bad, 24mg of iv morph barely did the trick… I never felt super high from the Kratom either, just like strong chamomile tea but chunky and odd