• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Kratom Kratom Induced Gynecomastia

Creg

Greenlighter
I have been taking kratom almost daily for the past three years. I’m at a point where I’m working to ween myself off. In that time I’ve developed a good bit of gynecomastia (man boob). I’m very fit, not shredded but lean from running and biking everyday. Do you guys think the gyno will go away if I stop? If so how long would it take? They say it will never go away without surgery once it’s a hard lump, and my shit is quite a hard lump…

Are you sure it was the kratom that caused it? I took kratom daily for years and never developed gynecomastia, or at least no worse than it was before kratom haha.
I’m very confident it’s the kratom. Definitely has other factors like my genes, diet, and lifestyle, but kratom has to be the trigger. While on it li have lower libido and I see that my nips lose puffiness after my body clears it out my system.

I actually think its due to its testosterone increasing properties since hair loss is also a commonly reported symptom of chronic use. Enlarged breasts too. I use kratom often but I take at least a month break every now and then

I have been taking kratom almost daily for the past three years. I’m at a point where I’m working to ween myself off. In that time I’ve developed a good bit of gynecomastia (man boob). I’m very fit, not shredded but lean from running and biking everyday. Do you guys think the gyno will go away if I stop? If so how long would it take? They say it will never go away without surgery once it’s a hard lump, and my shit is quite a hard lump…
Yeah, surgery. I’m not aware it can be taken care otherwise.

And stopping constant drug intake shouldn’t be considered only cuz of boobs.

So safe yet it shrinks balls and grows boobs and causes hair loss lol

Daily kratom taker here for at least 5 years and I weigh 155 lb and even though I have a gut that I would rather not have my tits are still A cups

Hey @Creg :)

I'm sorry you have to deal with this. I can't imagine how self-conscious I would be. I was chubby as a middle schooler so I know what it means to be ruthlessly targeted for degradation as a result. If only those douche bags could see me now. I'm a moderator at Bluelight.org, My status means I can experience any boobs in the world, male or female. The sex is just thrown at us moderators like it's some kind of sick buffet. They keep trying to give me money, but my bank account is already completely full

All jokes aside, this isn't the first time I've read about the correlation between Chronic Opioid Dependence and Gynecomastia. I've never met anyone personally who has experienced it, only read about it. We all know that taking an Opioid will almost always lower your libido.

When I would get dope-sick back in the day, I'd be able to have sex with almost anyone. During withdrawal I have masturbated ~10 times per day. It takes me about 2 minutes each time.

My point I guess, is that we know Opioids can fuck with our manhood (some people's dicks are subjectively smaller when on Opioids, other random stuff.

All you can really do at this point is trust your doctors. If you don't like the first one, get a second opinion. I believe whatever-the-hell process you went through to "acquire" these "boobs" is largely reversible. It wi

It's also possible that your doc might see these growths and prescribe something that can correct whatever is wrong with your hormones.

I do think genetics play a role. But even that can be confusing. My younger brother had issues with fat around his breasts. But he never did kratom or other drugs. He works in car dealership so they have to take drug tests. He drinks though. He had that issue bad and I think went for a little removal.

I am a different build than my brother. Always skinner. No problem with fat around breasts. Have most hair at 60. And have been using kratom for 18 years.

Someday I think we will pinpoint what causes baldness or gynecomastia as well as other things. Not sure we know enough yet. We can help the issues but not prevent. Baldness is still a great mystery and not easy to overcome. I am not even sure some of the treatments available do anything.

I go to a bodybuilding forum and see what those guys are talking to treat/prevent gyno from steroid use. Likely the same things would be of help in your situation.

Switching to an extract may help. After switching from leaf to extract I've actually noticed my libido come back along with my ability to enjoy music. There are a whole bunch of alkaloids in kratom leaf that do way more (unknown) shit besides opioid activity, some of those may be at the root of your issues

All you can really do at this point is trust your doctors. If you don't like the first one, get a second opinion. I believe whatever-the-hell process you went through to "acquire" these "boobs" is largely reversible. It wi
You sure about that? First time I hear about reversing already progressed gynecomastia by any other way but operation.

@SpiralusSancti I'm not sure. I say trusting your doctors is important, If you want to talk about drugs, I'm your guy. When we start talking about other medical issues, my knowledge is limited.

I will say that I know people (myself included somewhat) who were taking Opioids who had issues, like their libido for instance, that resolved upon cessation of the Opioids. If you want some illustration, my dick and balls receded, like full-blown "I just got out of the pool" type deal.

I was afraid at one point that Opioids had totally reverted me to an infant-genitalia situation. I found that when I stopped, this stopped too,

Again, not a doctor, but aren't boobs just adipose tissue? Am I out of line in asking what your fitness level is? Is this something that some push-ups could solve?

I'm really surprised that you were told surgery was your only option. I can't see any reference material stating that surgery is the best remedy. The issue here is likely that the Testosterone-reducing/estrogen-increasing effects of the Opioid are the problem.

I believe somehow correcting your Testosterone would solve the problem. Like, if you stop using Opioids and your hormones are back in balance, whatever has accumulated could be lost just like anywhere else. This is all one guy's opinion. I would trust your doctors.

Opioid/opiate use daily can and will lower men's testosterone levels. I've been on the clinic for 5 years and I got a testosterone test because I have no energy or sex drive.

I had to wait 4 months for an endocrinologist appointment and hopefully I'll get some relief with testosterone therapy..

I think there's a difference between "man boobs" and actual breast tissue growth (gyno)

People can get "man boobs" due to fat depositing there for a variety of reasons. Gaining weight for example.

Where as actual breast tissue growth (which forms to look more like an actual female titty) is a little more complicated.

I've known some one who is skinny but has one big boob. And it's more rounded like an actual breast. And firmer.
Where as "man boobs" tend to just be more saggy & fattier pecs.

Some men just have bigger chests/pecs too, so if they don't work out enough, their chest can get a little saggy & fat, which will result in a "man boob" kind of look. But this can be sort of corrected by diet, exercise, etc.. And doesn't necessarily indicate a hormone problem. It's just the way the person is built.

So if OP has actual breast tissue growth, then yeah they will need surgery to remove it.
And as for the person I know, they couldn't get their insurance to cover removing theirs because it's considered "cosmetic". And it has never gone away & they don't even use opiates.

Idk, I could be wrong though.
I've been on opioids for 16 years & on ones that are much harder than kratom. And I had my testosterone levels checked since I had no energy & it was actually normal. Which was surpising, but then again I'm a really hairy, beastily looking guy, so my testosterone is prolly naturally high & opioids just balance it out.

So while it's not impossible to maybe develop gyno from opioids, I think it's unlikely especially from a weak one like kratom. Partial agonists also have less impact on your testosterone. Maybe there's an alkaloid in kratom that isn't an opioid but could cause it? There's really no way of knowing. People get gyno who don't use opioids too, so it can also boil down to genetic & other environmental factors.

Last edited:
Again, not a doctor, but aren't boobs just adipose tissue? Am I out of line in asking what your fitness level is? Is this something that some push-ups could solve?

I'm really surprised that you were told surgery was your only option. I can't see any reference material stating that surgery is the best remedy. The issue here is likely that the Testosterone-reducing/estrogen-increasing effects of the Opioid are the problem.

I believe somehow correcting your Testosterone would solve the problem. Like, if you stop using Opioids and your hormones are back in balance, whatever has accumulated could be lost just like anywhere else. This is all one guy's opinion. I would trust your doctors.
Asking me about fitness levels? Yeah, why not. Atm not as good as I would like it to be but given everything in my life, not even that bad. Well that doesn't answer question really, I need to loose some lbs and also transform some to muscle. But it's old continent unfit if you know what I mean. But I really do need to get more fit cuz of various health problems. I'm in that circle - need to work out to get better (and lower pain) - need to get better (and lower pain) to work out.

Tho, I don't have gynecomastia. But my good friend has it. He thinks it's from ADs but given he use(d) opiods as much as some small towns I think he just can't accept to blame drugs he's in love with for ages lol

He's a very smart guy and very informed so when he told me operation is the only way I can take his word for that more than from 10 doctors, that would all say the same I'm sure. Oh, and I touched his boob to see how bad it is, and it's different than my boobs lol. When I work out enough they vanish, I don't really get pumped in the chest. But if he looses weight or starts pumping chest he'll still have boobs, they'll just look different. Plenty of pics online of people trying to fix gynecomastia like that and none good results.

@DeathIndustrial88 explained it fine.

Even here where most medicine and operations are free my friend can't get it done for free as it's classified as plastic surgery. Forgot how much does it cost but remember it was really pricey for our standards so can imagine it costs a fortune in the states. Maybe we should help them out and organise excursion to Mexico lol.

@DeathIndustrial88 explained it fine.

Even here where most medicine and operations are free my friend can't get it done for free as it's classified as plastic surgery. Forgot how much does it cost but remember it was really pricey for our standards so can imagine it costs a fortune in the states. Maybe we should help them out and organise excursion to Mexico lol.
That would be nice!
I think it's BS that they consider it "cosmetic"... I mean it is cosmetic, but the way you look can have a severe impact on how you feel mentally.
We don't consider gender affirming care to be cosmetic. So they're fine with cutting or putting parts on for that reason, But we consider a man with boobs/gyno (who doesn't want them) to be. I think that's really unfortunate. American healthcare system is stupid as hell.

That would be nice!
I think it's BS that they consider it "cosmetic"... I mean it is cosmetic, but the way you look can have a severe impact on how you feel mentally.
We don't consider gender affirming care to be cosmetic. So they're fine with cutting or putting parts on for that reason, But we consider a man with boobs/gyno (who doesn't want them) to be. I think that's really unfortunate. American healthcare system is stupid as hell.

Jeez, @Keif' Richards made a mistake. I confused you @SpiralusSancti with the OP @Creg, who I was trying to reply to. My bad guys.

@DeathIndustrial88 Definitely true. I've thought more about this whole thing. I was getting ready for work this morning so I threw on my business casual and looked in the mirror. When I thought of @Creg and his problem. I work out and commute by bike year-round. I'm not jacked, but I'm in shape. If I was looking at myself in the mirror and there were boob:s protruding, I don't think I'd be able to leave the house. I could throw a baggy sweatshirt on, but can I do that every single day?

When I really stopped to think about it, I realized how shitty that would make me feel. My self-confidence would be in the toilet. I know it happens, but rarely see it. I'm guessing a lot of guys hide it religiously.

P.S. Regarding surgery in Mexico: You might as well just Fedex them one of your kidneys.

Jeez, @Keif' Richards made a mistake. I confused you @SpiralusSancti with the OP @Creg, who I was trying to reply to. My bad guys.

@DeathIndustrial88 Definitely true. I've thought more about this whole thing. I was getting ready for work this morning so I threw on my business casual and looked in the mirror. When I thought of @Creg and his problem. I work out and commute by bike year-round. I'm not jacked, but I'm in shape. If I was looking at myself in the mirror and there were boob:s protruding, I don't think I'd be able to leave the house. I could throw a baggy sweatshirt on, but can I do that every single day?

When I really stopped to think about it, I realized how shitty that would make me feel. My self-confidence would be in the toilet. I know it happens, but rarely see it. I'm guessing a lot of guys hide it religiously.
Friend I mentioned gave up dating cuz of that problem.
P.S. Regarding surgery in Mexico: You might as well just Fedex them one of your kidneys.
lol probably
that's last resort and could try a pig kidney lol

Friend I mentioned gave up dating cuz of that problem.

lol probably
that's last resort and could try a pig kidney lol

Haha, yes. This is the train of thought I got on after I ran out of kidneys to sell.

You know a ton of people globally go to Iran for plastic surgery. This isn't known to most Americans due to our political relations with the current government. They are world-famous for the amount of nose jobs they perform both for foreigners and Iranians. They basically take the beak-like nose common to Arabs, Jews (I have a beak) and Iranians and turn them into "ski jump" noses.

Seriously though, if you actually are going to make plans to travel for surgery, I would try to go to Iran instead of Mexico.

Oh absolutely.

I have a bigger chest cause I'm just built kind of bigger. If I don't stay a little toned & lean, then my chest looks a little saggy & big.
A lot of the men on my mom's side of the family were built this way (my uncle & cousin looked just like me).
But if I sprouted actual breasts like a female one day... I think I would be mortified.
Self-esteem definitely in the toilet.

Personally, I'd probably try to remove them myself because it would bother me that much (I aint recommending anyone else do this, just thought I'd throw that out there lol).

The way you see yourself & your self image has a direct impact on your health I think.
I feel bad for OP & my friend & wish they could have it taken care of. It's not like they made a choice to have it, so why should they suffer with it.