• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Need Help Kratom for Codeine withdrawal

MrManners

Bluelighter
I purchased some Red Thai Muang Da kratom from a reputable supplier. I’ve never taken Kratom before. I was planning on using it for a week to stave off the withdrawals from a fairly hefty (1000mg a day) codeine habit. What dose and how many times a day would be recommended to get through the codeine withdrawal? Will me dosing Kratom everyday for a week pose me any issues with a kratom withdrawal at the end? Thanks for any help and suggestions.

Here's my spin on it. Luckily codeine isn't too strong as opposed to Dilaudid, Morphine, Methadone and such so kratom might very well work for you. 1000 mgs is a pretty high dose though so you for sure have a tolerance issue.

You have never taken it before so I suggest 4 grams. See how you feel. You are either gonna barf or feel pretty neat after 30 minutes. Go from there. Lower your dose if you feel nauseous or take more if you are good with it. I don't see you needing anything more than 7 grams per use and maybe 3 times a day while in active withdrawl. Thing with kratom is you aren't going to get high if you increase the dose. I think you will feel 7 grams even with the codeine dependency. People on here dose 10 grams at a time. It's all kinda guess work because it's a plant and you may respond different to the alkaloids.

After you feel pretty good without the codeine just take it if you feel like relapsing or you might like it and keep taking it every day. I take 4 grams a few times a day and a heavier dose at bedtime. If you can afford it , it's not a bad substance for keeping people from relapsing. Has some anxiety and depression qualities and some pain and muscle relaxer qualities. Good Luck Mr.Manners and welcome back to Bluelight

Here's my spin on it. Luckily codeine isn't too strong as opposed to Dilaudid, Morphine, Methadone and such so kratom might very well work for you. 1000 mgs is a pretty high dose though so you for sure have a tolerance issue.

You have never taken it before so I suggest 4 grams. See how you feel. You are either gonna barf or feel pretty neat after 30 minutes. Go from there. Lower your dose if you feel nauseous or take more if you are good with it. I don't see you needing anything more than 7 grams per use and maybe 3 times a day while in active withdrawl. Thing with kratom is you aren't going to get high if you increase the dose. I think you will feel 7 grams even with the codeine dependency. People on here dose 10 grams at a time. It's all kinda guess work because it's a plant and you may respond different to the alkaloids.

After you feel pretty good without the codeine just take it if you feel like relapsing or you might like it and keep taking it every day. I take 4 grams a few times a day and a heavier dose at bedtime. If you can afford it , it's not a bad substance for keeping people from relapsing. Has some anxiety and depression qualities and some pain and muscle relaxer qualities. Good Luck Mr.Manners and welcome back to Bluelight
Thanks for the reply. I’m not too bothered about feeling high from it at this point, although that’s a great point you make if I ever feel like relapsing. It’s more to just stop the codeine withdrawal symptoms from appearing, or at least significantly reduce them. I’ll try 4 grams and see how it makes me feel. What’s the best way to take the powder? I was thinking of just wrapping it up in some rolling papers and bombing it that way??

Thanks for the reply. I’m not too bothered about feeling high from it at this point, although that’s a great point you make if I ever feel like relapsing. It’s more to just stop the codeine withdrawal symptoms from appearing, or at least significantly reduce them. I’ll try 4 grams and see how it makes me feel. What’s the best way to take the powder? I was thinking of just wrapping it up in some rolling papers and bombing it that way??
A rolling paper or a small bit of TP works too. Called parachuting. Down the hatch and Good Luck. Let me know how you feel on 4 grams.

Don't try to parachute 4 grams of kratom, youre likely to choke! You need to so what they call "wash and toss" by pouring it in your mouth, swishing it around with water till its a liquid solution and swallow it. This takes practice however. You can also mix it in water, orange juice or even yogurt and drink/eat it.

Parachuting a large amount of powders seems like a dangerous practice due to choking risks.

4-5 grams per dose will be good but i think you'll need it more like 5x or 6x a day. 1000mg of codeine will put a good amount of morphine into your system. And yes, you will become dependent on kratom if you dose it daily. You will transfer off your withdrawal "debt" from codeine to kratom, which you will have to pay off at sometime (albeit at a lower interest rate once you transfer the dependency to kratom).

Don't try to parachute 4 grams of kratom, youre likely to choke! You need to so what they call "wash and toss" by pouring it in your mouth, swishing it around with water till its a liquid solution and swallow it. This takes practice however. You can also mix it in water, orange juice or even yogurt and drink/eat it.

Parachuting a large amount of powders seems like a dangerous practice due to choking risks.

4-5 grams per dose will be good but i think you'll need it more like 5x or 6x a day. 1000mg of codeine will put a good amount of morphine into your system. And yes, you will become dependent on kratom if you dose it daily. You will transfer off your withdrawal "debt" from codeine to kratom, which you will have to pay off at sometime (albeit at a lower interest rate once you transfer the dependency to kratom).
@MrManners ....did you take it yet? Never even thought about maybe you might choke on it.

I mix with orange juice or sweet tea . Toss and wash is really hard to do and gross . The oj really mask the bitterness.
Yeah. I have tried repeatedly to toss and wash myself. I just can't get it down at all. Everyone says that it's better than capsules but I guess what they mean it just hits quicker because the gelcap needs time to dissolve. I don't mind waiting.

I have found the best way to take kratom is to mix it with beverage that will mask the taste and that you like (when I take it, I mix it with water cause it doesn't bother me so much). Just be sure that you have "mini mixer for cappuccino" and the kratom will go easily with any liquid.

MINI MIXER FOR CAPPUCCINO

I mix with orange juice or sweet tea . Toss and wash is really hard to do and gross . The oj really mask the bitterness.

Yeah wash and toss is rough, though its generally what I do. Takes some practice to not gag on it. Its strange, I'm usually not bothered by the taste of things but kratom is one of the few things i can't really get accustomed to.

The smoothest way to take kratom is as a tea made from crushed kratom leaf (not powder). The taste isn't even half bad.

Yeah wash and toss is rough, though its generally what I do. Takes some practice to not gag on it. Its strange, I'm usually not bothered by the taste of things but kratom is one of the few things i can't really get accustomed to.

The smoothest way to take kratom is as a tea made from crushed kratom leaf (not powder). The taste isn't even half bad.
I would like to get some leaf and make a tea. I heard the leaf was hard to find and it's all powder now. I'm going to do some research.

Your'e Welcome and I hope it helps. <3
So I took around 3 grams last night before bed. I parachuted it in some toilet paper and it went down ok but funnily enough I was thinking about the choking risk before I did it. I’d not read these replies yet. I didn’t feel much other than some mild relaxation. I’ve just woke up and taken 4 grams. I mixed with orange juice this time and drank it. Not pleasant but nothing too bad. Certainly not as awful as a CWE mixture. Currently waiting for it to kick in.

If I just take it for one week will that be long enough to develop a dependency. I’m gonna dose it as little as I can get away with. Just to reduce the codeine withdrawal symptoms to a manageable level. Codeine withdrawals usually last anywhere between 3-7 days for me normally but this latest relapse was a particularly heavy and lengthy one for me. So I’m expecting a more rough one than I normally have. I don’t intend taking the kratom any longer than I have to.

If I just take it for one week will that be long enough to develop a dependency. I’m gonna dose it as little as I can get away with. Just to reduce the codeine withdrawal symptoms to a manageable level. Codeine withdrawals usually last anywhere between 3-7 days for me normally but this latest relapse was a particularly heavy and lengthy one for me. So I’m expecting a more rough one than I normally have. I don’t intend taking the kratom any longer than I have to.

Yes. Well essentially your codeine physical opiate dependency will transfer over to a kratom opioid (mitragynine) dependency. However mitragynine is a g protein biased opioid compared to codeine's beta arrestin biased agonism which essentially means the withdrawal from kratom is less severe. But you have to experience withdrawal. With kratom it's less severe. Its sort of like a debt restructuring situation where you are trying to find a more affordable interest rate in terms of the withdrawal. But you'll have to pay the debt at some point.

*7 days on kratom followed by a switch to black seed oil capsules as need (they make it easier) should work.

Last edited:
I purchased some Red Thai Muang Da kratom from a reputable supplier. I’ve never taken Kratom before. I was planning on using it for a week to stave off the withdrawals from a fairly hefty (1000mg a day) codeine habit. What dose and how many times a day would be recommended to get through the codeine withdrawal? Will me dosing Kratom everyday for a week pose me any issues with a kratom withdrawal at the end? Thanks for any help and suggestions.
2 teaspoons is plenty imho.

Ok guys so I’m gonna do this withdrawal without kratom I think. That dose I took this morning has made me feel a little anxious. I’ve also read about some rare cases of liver damage from kratom. I’m always paranoid about my liver from years and years of doing CWE’s daily for my codeine supply. I’ve always thought that daily use of apap (as some still dissolves in the water) for years must be doing some damage to my liver. I’ve had many liver function tests over the years which have always returned normal values but I still get paranoid about it and don’t want the Kratom to add to that. The last codeine withdrawal I had only lasted 3-4 days in acute withdrawal so hopefully it’s similar this time. It’s nearly 24 hours since my last dose. Wish me luck guys, I really want this to be the last withdrawal I ever do. My health is deteriorating as I barely eat enough when I’m in addiction.