Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Dissociatives [Ketamine Subthread] IV vs. IM comparisons

Black Panther

Bluelighter
:)

What advices would you give to somebody, who want to inject Ket IV or IM, when he did ket only intranasally to this time?

What differences in effect to expect? How to prepare surrounding to be safe? Will he be still aware of his surrounding like with intranasall route?

Firstly and most importantly, don't inject it unless you are getting it from a sealed vial. Any cuts could cause serious problems if injected. True, people have injected powder they've dissolved and had no problems, but don't go looking for trouble.

IV'ing K can come on so quickly that it can sometimes immobilise you before you've even pulled the needle out of your arm.

IM'ing seems top be the way to go according to people here. Something low like 50~70mg should do it. Again, only from a sealed vial! The effect is a lot faster and more intense. The K Hole comes on very quickly after a minute or two and from what I can gather from other's comments its complete. Forget about being able to sense anything from the real world, you are out of it.

If you do have a sealed vial of it, and know what you are doing needle wise then also make sure there is a sitter there, someone who won't be on anything for the duration of the injecting person's trip. Although its not common, its best to have someone keeping an eye on you if something happens.

editted to give a smaller suggested IM dosage. Don't want to give bad advice

Last edited:
unless the person has experience of IV injecting, then i would advise going IM not only for the good reasons stated above, but because IV injections bring with them a whole new range of problems. If you want advice on how to to administer an IM injection then i'm pretty sure i saw an excellent FAQ on it somewhere in Bluelight. If you can't find it then PM me.

Again i cannot stress the importance of:
1. a sealed sterile vial of K
2. sterile unused needle and syringe
3. a sitter

Here's a lovely link on IMing properly.

Intramuscular injections

Just to echo the others: DO NOT reliquify powdered ketamine if you are interested in saftey. IMing impurities can cause abscesses and other painful conditions.

Well IM is really more problematic than IV for me. It's easy to shot in the vein than in arm :) some specific needles are needed and so on...(?)
Also IV gives full effects of ketamine, unlike IM, so I heard from experienced person.
I don't want to do it few times, just once and I want something special, something which won't repeat...

Ask Negro-Kitty about IM'ing Ketamine. She loves it, and doesn't feel its effects are any less than IV'ing from what I can tell. Drop her a PM or wait for her to come across this thread. I'm sure there are other IM Ketamine users who'll drop by too.

Black Panther said:
Well IM is really more problematic than IV for me. It's easy to shot in the vein than in arm :) some specific needles are needed and so on...(?)
Also IV gives full effects of ketamine, unlike IM, so I heard from experienced person.
I don't want to do it few times, just once and I want something special, something which won't repeat...

Thats not really the consensus view. IMing is really the prefred method of taking it becuase it, not IVing, gives the more robust experience. IVing K gives you full effects, but they last for a very short time. IMing is more like snorting, in that the hole can last for an hour.

Yes, I do love my IM k! :D

IM is DEFINITELY easier than IV...I can't imagine how you would find IV easier! You must have some sort of fear of IM?

IM DOES hurt, not tremendously, but there is a pain aspect that is not present with IV -- perhaps that is your issue?

Whoever said IM ketamine does not give full effects is a fucking moron...IM ketamine gives TREMENDOUS effects...I have IVed it, but never wanted to do it again, I just find IM so much more enjoyable and I really suggest that you go that route as well.

100 mg to start out, btw, is a LARGE dose and NOT recommended! If you have no tolerance, I recommend starting with 40-65 mg IM, depending on how much you weigh. If you really don't want to be cautious, PLEASE at least don't inject more than 80-85 mg (which is PLENTY).

IM is safer (as was said you won't fall into a k hole with a needle sticking out of your arm), and generally more pleasant, as it comes on gradually as opposed to all at once. I find it feels like sinking into a gloriously warm bath (almost-opiate like) when IMed.

IMing ketamine is similiar to gently being taken by the hand and guided out of your body. Never IVed ketamine (never will) but I imagine it to not be so gentle and beautiful. I disagree that it hurts. If you are slow and gentle enough, there is no pain. Perhaps the feeling of pressure (as muscle tissue expands with ketamine) but no pain. It doesn't hurt when I do it anyway. Make sure you use 28 gague (sp?) or higher needle.

One more question
I really doesn't like Intranassaly administered Ketamine.
Especially comedown is such a shitty...

Does IM or IV administration will be a much more pleasurable?

>Does IM or IV administration will be a much more pleasurable?

That's terrible grammar man. Anyway, yes IMing it is much more pleasurable and different. But I've elaborated on this before.

IM'ing K is very fun and nice. So much so for me, that I will not snort it, the effects are not good for me. But as stated above, keep everything sterile. I have never IV'd, I would be too paranoid about messing it up! I like IMing because I don't get as much dizzyness, and the effects just sort of sink into place. But allass, I don't like K anymore, my last K-hole was confusing and scary. IM it in the back of your shoulder, where you can feel all the ligaments.

Im ketamine feels soooo much smoother, gentler nicer etc than when snorted. I will never snort ketamine again....not if you paid me...

IM Ketamine help *Quickly*

I have a bottle of sealed phamacetucal Ketamine HCL. Its in a little vial

Its says:

10mL Single-Dose
Ketamine HCL Injection USP
500mg per 10mL*
(50mg/mL)
C-III

Well I went out and bought some syringes... b/c i decided to IM.

They are 1.0cc . 29 guage 1/2" (12.7)

are these the right kind for needles for IM?? The pharmacists said they were.

On the syringe itself it has 10-100 untits and says 1cc on it.

Now, on erowid, it says that for a common IM dose of K is 25-50mgs. So I assume that i fill up the syringe with 25-50 units (mgs) of K?

Then where do I injext it? My thigh? Arm? Where do you suggest the best spot??

Basically I just need a beginners guide to injecting IM Ketamine.

Thanks so much VD

im really confused as to where in my thigh to do this???? very confusing directions!!!

and is 25-50mgs mean 25-50 untits in the syringe????

I find injections to the thigh quite painful. I usually take ketamine in the left or right buttock. I inject slowly, with a steady hand, and there is no pain during injection or the next day.

so stick the entire needle into my bottocks and inject very slowly (10seconds per cc)??

and do i fill up my syringe up to the 25-50 mark???