• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Just speedballed and I am madly in love

I dunno dude... so if I had a scale I'd have zero clue what amounts to use anyway....

How about you eyeball your normal amount, and then weigh it lol? Then you have a an idea of what a normal shot for you is like. Also, for HR sake, please do much smaller test shots each time you pick up to gauge the potency first and lessen the risk of OD. Remember, there are scumbags out there cutting dope with fentanyl and fentanyl analogues.

the last year in active addiction i almost exclusively speedballed, while using benzos in addition to that. My tolerance was insane and it was the only way to feel any kind of high, though i was stone cold sober after the rush faded. I'd been an iv user for a few years and physically dependent for longer than that. Picking up the needle brought me to my knees but the cocaine finished the job.

When i went to rehab in november of 2013 it was almost too late. I was a walking skeleton at 90 pounds, my bp was dangerously low when they admitted me, and my body has lost the ability to heal itself... Not even the smallest scratch. I was also broken, hopeless, and was ready to end my life. I spent my detox in the er with a hr of below 40, fading in and out of consciousness. Even on the max dose of buprenorphine, it took 5 days to even begin to stabilize. On my 9th day, i went back out. That's the insanity of this disease.

I played the game for years. I held down a decent paying job, had a nice house, was in a steady relationship, and for a long time nobody knew. But eventually, i slipped. Just like we all do. You're playing with fire. You can stop now and seek a real solution to your problems or you can stay using until you lose enough and suffer enough to want to change... It'll be a lot harder then though and some things you can't get back once you lose them. Like my innocence, my respect, my sense of self. I don't know that anything could have stopped me back then but i wish i'd known that heroin and the drugs i used with it were a temporary solution and that they'd stop working. And they did.

I can't pin point one exact thing that led to my recovery. After leaving treatment, i went on a 6 week run and that shit was ugly. I was away from home and without a source of income and things were desperate. I'd always had some lines in the sand that i never thought i'd cross and when i crossed them it was a real wake up call. I got myself into sober living and started seeing a doctor that specialized in behavior health/pharmacology. Got back on bupe and was treated for some other shit too, i was freshly sober and out of my mind at that point. I went to meetings daily, got a sponsor, and worked the steps. I did intensive outpatient treatment and was referred to a psychologist. I started working again. And surrounded myself with sober people. I relapsed a lot in those first six months but i kept making progress. Shit seemed impossible most days and i almost walked away many times. But i hung in there and with a year of continuous sobriety next month, i'm in a completely different place today.

Just putting my experience out there for you. If things had gone different, i wouldn't be here today. I was also severely depressed prior to addiction and opiates were the first thing i found that worked. Unt they didn't. And they weren't worth the price. Buprenorphine really helps me, i've stayed on maintenance as a result though on a low dose.

I'm here if you need to talk.

qft! Listen to this guy man, he basically summed up how all opiate addiction ends. Either getting sober, or ending up in jail or dead. There is no such thing as chipping, just the earlier stages of addiction where self control is somewhat still possible.

I only used a scale early on to make sure I wasn't getting ripped off until I learned to eyeball. I never weighed out my shots. When you're shooting up every few hours every single day, it's just not necessary. You know how much you need.

That being said, you should ALWAYS do a test shot of anything new you've just picked up. Especially with cocaine. All my near death experiences were with coke, I generally did pretty decent shit but I've picked up some fire a few times and next thing I know I'm on the bathroom floor ears ringing like a bomb went off, can't breath, lips turning blue, heart feeling like it's going to explode. All you can do is hope to God you're not done for.

I only used a scale early on to make sure I wasn't getting ripped off until I learned to eyeball. I never weighed out my shots. When you're shooting up every few hours every single day, it's just not necessary. You know how much you need.

That being said, you should ALWAYS do a test shot of anything new you've just picked up. Especially with cocaine. All my near death experiences were with coke, I generally did pretty decent shit but I've picked up some fire a few times and next thing I know I'm on the bathroom floor ears ringing like a bomb went off, can't breath, lips turning blue, heart feeling like it's going to explode. All you can do is hope to God you're not done for.

I mean, you're a mod and you are promoting anti-HR by telling him he doesn't need to use a scale because you didn't?... Different product can vary in density and fluffiness making it impossible to accurately eyeball unless it's always the exact same product, which in the drug world is not likely.

^ In the case of an experienced user, someone who shoots up several times a day, every day, and has for years... no, I don't think it's necessary to weigh each shot out when you have a good eye and you've already done a test shot to gauge the potency. That's how I did it and so have countless others. Based on the OP's description of his use though I don't know that my post was directed at him.

The reason behind this is the exact amount of dope I'm shooting is pretty much irrelevant. The purity of your dope (or coke) is going to be different almost every time and you have no way of guessing other than to test it. One night I could be well off half a G, the next night it could take several grams to get me there.

It would be foolish to base the amount you use based on the "usual" weight you use, when it could be 5x the potency of the last bag you picked up. The SAFEST way would be do a test shot to determine the strength of what you have.

I fail to see how my post was in any way anti-HR.

I definitely cannot continue this way and ever have the life I want and have worked very hard and achieved a lot in pursuit thereof.

IF I can do a speedball here and there, maybe even twice a month, that would probably be ok. I know I'l never be a sober person, and I've done a hell of a lot in my life all while actively getting high. Graduated law school with honors, was on law review, coached moot court, at competition my team got numerous awards, myself getting 2nd place advocate of all competitors, book awards (student who gets highest grade in a class), etc. No, I was not SBing then, just taking xanax with beer every weekend and sometimes weeknights.

I hate myself for wasting all of my hard work and potential at present, I won't go into all of the depression issues which makes day to day basic functioning very difficult, but that's how it is. I caannot imagine working as hard as I did before, most days I don't even wanna bother showering. Don't know that SBing contributes to this, I believe it's more of a mask but I could be wrong. I have a lifelong friend who is a major alcoholic - a 1.75 liter of vodka a day. He's not going anywhere and has nothing he can make a good career out of - his last job was at a pizzeria. Fired for drinking. I think I'd feel better about my situation at present if I were like him because he never has had success and seen potential in himself to be truly great at something. I have, but not in a long time and it really fuckin' sucks.

Also I feel like shit for having neglected my real friends partly out of embarassment at my place in life, and partly to hang with drug friends and use. And we all know a drug friend ain't a friend at all. Within 10 mins of everything being gone, it's goodbye time. I care for my drug friends - a couple anyway, but as I said, they're not like my real friends whatsoever and if I stopped using we'd stop hanging.

I have considered calling my regular guy and screaming racial slurs at him to the point that if I ever saw him he'd probably kill me... that might help.

You're not going to like this, and probably won't listen but check yourself into rehab/detox, and get involved in NA/SMART/Rational recovery or whatever it takes to have you stop using cocaine and heroin, and speedballs.

i dont think any experienced hard drug users use a scale
I used one the first few times I shot speedballs, but didn't see the point after a while.

Elvis - the reason I was shooting speedballs is because I was depressed about my major - Med School or Grad School. I couldnt decide. I had originally wanted to go to med school, but I hated most of the other pre med students at my university and I had become disillusioned about the profession of clinical medicine. On top of that, I was having bad female problems and felt horribly lonely. The drugs were a form of self medication.

OP I don't say this lightly or to just anybody.... You need to get help. NOW. If you want to live and start to put your life back together instead of covering all your accomplishments in gasoline, cuz buddy.... you don't want to try to put your life back together once it's been set ablaze. Your chances of recovery are better the sooner you grow up and realize that this lifestyle will kill you if you don't stop buddy.... it'll just keep on hurting you and destroying you in the meantime until it kills you.

You sound like a smart guy who is aware of the fact that the choices you are making are jeopardizing everything in your future, but as long as you keep this shit up the less and less you will care and your perception of self worth will likely decline steadily until you reach the point where your brain is completely rewired and you are completely out of control, using more and more to try and forget what you once were or could have been, and then justifying to yourself more and more until you have accepted this delusional lifestyle as your entire reality.

Get off the highway to hell BEFORE you miss the last exit... Wishing you the best of luck. Think about your life. The one you're living. The one you wanted. We only get one shot at life so why spend your days shooting up your own life.

Best,

TC

Rhun, your post was perfect. Y'all should listen to her. I am lucky enough to still be friends with Rhun today, how she's rebuilding her life, I mean... If she could quit this toxicity, you can too OP.

Also while I'm not saying it's best to skip using a scale, rhun makes a very important point that a lot of people forget. Even if you are weighing out powder accurately, that's all you're doing! weighing out powder. You have no idea if it's 5% pure or if by a 1 in a million chance it's 90% pure, by relying soley on a scale to save your life, well... The scale would not save your life.

Scales are invaluable when injecting say, pharmaceutical or USP 100% grade drugs, but since most people don't have cheap as heroin access to them, they're going to use what they can get their hands on, likely street grade, adulterated, inconsistent purity dope. Unless you have a scale AND a way to analyze your street-bought drugs via GC/MS, the scale alone isn't providing much, if any harm reduction, if it is the only thing you're counting on to gauge your dose. Scales are great for pure drugs, unfortunately we're talking about speedballs, which use heroin and cocaine or methamphetamine, all of which are far more likely to be adulterated and all of which are extremely unlikely to be sold anywhere near close enough to "pure" at the street level.

$0.02

I prefer to shoot the heroin and smoke the meth with it... The coke is too intense for me. The only time I like coke is if I'm partying with people drinking alcohol.

Rhun, your post was perfect. Y'all should listen to her. I am lucky enough to still be friends with Rhun today, how she's rebuilding her life, I mean... If she could quit this toxicity, you can too OP.

Also while I'm not saying it's best to skip using a scale, rhun makes a very important point that a lot of people forget. Even if you are weighing out powder accurately, that's all you're doing! weighing out powder. You have no idea if it's 5% pure or if by a 1 in a million chance it's 90% pure, by relying soley on a scale to save your life, well... The scale would not save your life.

Scales are invaluable when injecting say, pharmaceutical or USP 100% grade drugs, but since most people don't have cheap as heroin access to them, they're going to use what they can get their hands on, likely street grade, adulterated, inconsistent purity dope. Unless you have a scale AND a way to analyze your street-bought drugs via GC/MS, the scale alone isn't providing much, if any harm reduction, if it is the only thing you're counting on to gauge your dose. Scales are great for pure drugs, unfortunately we're talking about speedballs, which use heroin and cocaine or methamphetamine, all of which are far more likely to be adulterated and all of which are extremely unlikely to be sold anywhere near close enough to "pure" at the street level.

$0.02

I don't know, I always weighed my shit, even when I was shooting. If nothing else, it gives me an idea of how much of that particular dope I needed to get high. And of course, a test shot is the most important thing of all. All these fentanyl analogues floating around, scary shit.

Also, I enjoyed getting out my knife, taking a bump out of the bag and pouring it onto the cooker which I would have tare'd on my scale and checking the weight, and then adding more until it was to my satisfaction lol, I guess it just became part of the ritual for me.

It's opening a door that you can never close fully again. I have my faith in God, which has wavered quite a bit as I've back slid quite a bit, which I hope one day will help me to never look back. But even in times of sobriety, I cannot stop thinking of that damn needle. I wish I could go back to the days when one Norco 10 fucked me up for hours and I used to make fun of the lone heroin user in our group of friends (he's dead now :( ).

I feel for you brother. I know how it goes. It's like how can it ever be the same again?

Yup, honestly the needle part is probably one of the most addictive aspects of the lifestyle associated with your DOC, at a point it's not even about the drug anymore, it's all about HOW you get it in and in the shortest amount of time...

I've been clean off the needle for quite a while now but ill be damned if i can't close my eyes and see the blood rush in when registering before slamming home. I just have to constantly remind myself of how much better my life is not being that person anymore.... That lifestyle killed a large part of my soul, and I don't know if there's ever a point where I'll get it back or the choices i've made will stop having everlasting consequences. But I can only hope.

Yup, honestly the needle part is probably one of the most addictive aspects of the lifestyle associated with your DOC, at a point it's not even about the drug anymore, it's all about HOW you get it in and in the shortest amount of time...

I've been clean off the needle for quite a while now but ill be damned if i can't close my eyes and see the blood rush in when registering before slamming home. I just have to constantly remind myself of how much better my life is not being that person anymore.... That lifestyle killed a large part of my soul, and I don't know if there's ever a point where I'll get it back or the choices i've made will stop having everlasting consequences. But I can only hope.

That's a powerful testimony. I'm proud of you for staying clean. For me, I can't even drive down I-39 (Illinois) without being in tears when I see the signs for Rockford. I spent so many days and nights hustling, nodded out and dope sick in that town. The sign itself is a trigger.

That's very kind of you to offer to talk with me - sincerely.

I am in a way unique - good and bad for me - that I do not get dope sick. Sincerely, I've no reason to lie. So, while it's nice to not go through that hell, it also gives me a sense that I'm somehow special and unlike the addicts I hang with. I am in that I can stop indefinitely without getting sick, but the mental component to addiction is more than powerful enough that I keep coming back anyhow. I have thought about it and just cannot imagine how I can ever kick the mental. It's just part of who I am... I like getting fucked up. I love drugs. I like mustard. Same thing in my mind, to an extent.

Something's gotta change though.

I dunno, I've been depressed to varying degrees for about 15 years. Got markedly worse first year of grad school in 2008, then moreso in 2011 and is at its worst now. I tend to think it takes pretty rough depression to get someone to use such hard shit and once in, it only gets worse.

Not saying using helps at all, but it's not merely that. Hadn't done more then 3 or 4 vicodin back in 2008.

Kinda a chicken and egg situation: the number of people who regularly use hard drugs without mental health issues is probably about 2 worldwide. The whole thing is really crazy - disregarding the health concerns even if you don't OD, the FORTUNE you spend whereas in other normal parts of life you might think twice about spending $12 on a burger but readily drop$150+ in a session for this shit, the alienation from those who don't approve, disappointing/hurting those loved ones, the selfishness of gambling with whether or not your parents have to bury their child, etc. No one without mental health problems would do this shit. So, clearly they were there before the heavy use.

What I'd give to have the depression that just made me blue and super negative about myself... lately I've taken to merely lying in bed literally for days on end. Often I won't eat at all or if I do it's something like a banana. I don't watch TV, nothing, just lie there. Never been worse and God I hope I get out of this new thing because it is just terrible. Can rarely muster theenergy to bathe, and when I don't i feel worse since I'm plain disgusting on top of useless. In college and grad school I was so motivated and frankly really good... honors in everything, and much more. Seems like a different person because ain't no way in hell I could do that now, probably could hardly earn a D+ for real. If quitting all hard shit:IV coke & H and rock would make that big a difference I would do it tomorrow... shit I'd have no idea what to do with all that extra money.

I don't know if addiction is a disease or whatever, don't even know if I'm addicted technically since I do not have physical dependency - if you don't believe that please just don't bother debating me. I've no reason to lie, I don't have it. Mentally though, obviously I'm all in. I fear ever seeing rock bottom because mine mustbe absolutely horrific. I've OD'd at least 3 perhaps 4 ties two of which I technically died or came real damn close, the others weren't good times either. Didn't get me clean. My close friend died while we were together and I saw his lifeless eyes - no didn't do it. Got pulled over leaving a friend's house which is in the ghetto and is a hot spot with people coming and going all day, and having had two ODs since the new year, one fatal. Some fuckin' how the cop let me go with no charges despite having found needles... could not believe the cuffs came off. Nope. WTF does it take? There's something seriously wrong with me. And, the God damn fortunate I've spent - could have put it toward a car, traveled, donated it, whatever would have been better. The financial burden is the only thing that's truly gotten into my head and bothered me... not nearly dying in my parent's bathroom on easter an all the pleasantries associated with an OD.

Has anyone ever gotten over the mental compulsion of use? I just cannot see how that would happen at this point. Seems it'd always be there and that sucks.

ElvisPillsley: I'm going to be honest with you. Get help now both for your drug addictions, and depression before it's too late. You're not on a good path or lifestyle, and speedballs are very dangerous and lots of people die from them.

Quitting drugs will help you both mentally, physically, and financially.

Since you're probably going to have difficulty getting sober or clean on your own go to a detox/rehab centre run by medical professionals where there's also a therapist or counselor there who you can talk to about your mental health issues or what drives you to use, and you'll learn coping mechanisms and how to stay sober. Only you can do this. Good luck.

Hi elvis, in case you are wondering why this got moved to TDS it is because it sounds like what you need support for is what is underlying your risky use--in other words your depression and the other mental aspects that seem to be in control of your life. I've read through the whole thread and I need to mention a couple of things. The first is just a friendly heads up that TDS is a part of the Recovery Forums and thus has some triggering guidelines that will need to be observed from here on out as many people here are currently dealing with cravings so glorious descriptions of how your DOC makes you feel can be lethal to someone else. The second thing I wanted to say is that I have a late son that also seemed to miraculously survive over and over situations that would kill others. And then he didn't. But for a long time that sense of crazy invincibility almost fueled his use.

I'm wondering whether or not you have ever stepped back from what you are doing with your life--not the drugs, I'm talking about grad school and your plan for your future--and asked yourself if you really want the life you are putting your efforts into getting. (I'm not saying you don't--just a genuine question.)

Anyway, I'd like to welcome you to TDS and hope you feel free to get some support and continue the conversation.<3