• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Jobs granted to visible minorities. (Affirmative Action)

Originally posted by FunkyAlfonzo:
[QB]I'm afraid I haven't read all of the replies to this post yet (I'm at work and don't have time), but I thought I'd throw in this topical example from Radio London Live this morning.
A surgeon has been classed as a racist because he refused to operate on the grounds that his nurses weren't up to the job because they couldn't speak English well enough to understand his instructions.
No this is an example of special circumstances. The surgeon wasn't being racist he was just trying to prevent a deadly situation from developing.He didn't want to run the risk of them misunderstanding his instructions, and potentially fouling up, which would have possibly had negative cobsequences for the patient. However it is an extreme, and uncommon case that is not representative of the typical affirmative action case. The surgeon was correct in refusing to operate under those potentially life threatening conditions. It should be a mandatory prerequisite that all medical technicians or personnel know how to fluently speak the language that is the chosen predominant regional dialect. And if there are more than one language, then they should know those also.

I think you misunderstood me. I meant the fact that the nurses had the jobs in the first place was possibly affirmative action gone badly wrong and also the fact that, instead of addressing the fact that their employees were dangerously underskilled, they chose to attack the surgeon for being racist is also part of the same problem.
Or maybe I misunderstood you...

Quicksilverchameleon7:
sorry about the needless preaching to the converted.
np: dillenger escape plan