• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

IV Codeine

^ My intent was not to misinform in order to reduce harm. My intent was to discourage others from injecting codeine, which often results in a dangerous and potentially fatal allergic reaction. I did not know that one of the facts I cited was a little off. Everything else was on the spot, and injecting codeine is still a terrible idea. Regardless, flaming is never necessary in a community like this. There are better ways to get one's point across, like you did in the well-written post before the one where I was labeled as a moron. Drug users are already ostracized from society and I find it disgusting that anybody on the forums should use language that may create unrest in a community that should be empathetic. Sorry for getting off-topic though; I'm done posting on this thread.

My intent was to discourage others from injecting codeine, which often results in a dangerous and potentially fatal allergic reaction.

Then why not just come out and say so. Just say you don't want people shooting codeine because it's dangerous. Or might just tell them to take an antihistamine if they want to try it.

For the record I've tried it with up to 500mg dosages. The effects I noticed were very mild. No rush or anything. No anafylactic shock or death either, though...

I did not know that one of the facts I cited was a little off.

"A little off" = "complete & utter bollocks" then sure.

Isn't codeine a prodrug that needs to be metabolized into morphine in order for it to be active? How can you be talking about shooting it?

Not true.

Not true because like it was said the drug will eventually pass thru the liver as it goes in the blood circulation...

And another thing...

Every medical book out there says that IM codeine is stronger than oral codeine. 120mgs of IM codeine is equal to 200mgs of oral codeine!
So the theory of codeine must be metabolized first is not so simple!!!

ALSO: Howard Hughes was addicted to IV codeine for many years...

Thats not so simple......

Not true.

ALSO: Howard Hughes was addicted to IV codeine for many years...

Thats not so simple......

Maybe he's just addicted to it physically but doesn't get euphoria out of it, I've known people who used to take diphenhydramine to comedown off amps and they're addicted to dph now even though they're not getting high off it.

I was always under the impression that codeine could not be injected as it is a pro-drug and needs to be metabolized into morphine before giving a high.

And that injecting it was not only pointless but very dangerous.

If you'll read up there, blood goes to the liver which is where Codeine is metabolized into Morphine.
;)

OXY by IV

Well I hope you enjoy extreme fever, and all the other seemingly pleasant side-effects that elektra mentioned.

I always thought that codeine, DHC and the -codones had way too many side-effects to be taken by any route other than oral. It is for that reason that I wouldn't inject oxycodone, or sniff it for that matter.

If you plan on doing it, I STRONGLY suggest taking a dose of antihistamine with it. Elektra's aspirin suggestion sounds good, but I don't know just how effective it is.

Snorting oxy, and shooting oxy for a while now. No side effects as mentioned. Oxy IV is fantastic, great rush, but you come down really fast, it only lasts about 2 hours. Snorting is different, at first it hit me really hard. The more often iv'e done it, the longer it seems to take and the less intense the high. Try dissolving in as little water as possible and dripping into your nose, that works great too. Don't overdo the water though or it just drips down your throat!

^ Yes, a lot of other idiots shoot pills too, you're not the only one.

I was giving my personal opinion.

That said, unlike oxy, the effects of injected Codeine ARE potentially-deadly - and that's not just my opinion, it is documented fact.

SWIM IV'd pure (Sigma) codeine phosphate just the other day. The dose was 208 mg. Why he did it? i'm not even sure he could tell you that. The same reason people doing anything stupid-dangerous, i guess. Anyways, heres how it went

- Heart rate rises while shot is being administered (3mL).
- Heart rate continues to rise incredibly quickly, so does the intensity of the beats
- At about 20 seconds in, heart rate is so intense and fast (~230 bpm) that its audible as a *squish, squish* in the ear.
- An incredible wave of redness and itchiness manifests throughout body
- swelling of the hands and feet, accompanied by a feverish feeling
- body is now on fire with redness and itchiness and swelling
- effects diminished after .5hr and 5 benadryls.

Intensity of the high was comparable to an oral dose of the same quantity, but the side effects and histamine release were immeasurably more pronounced. Thank god he took pictures of himself- its really remarkable how red he is.

Overall, no fun. He advised me never to try it (dont't worry about that, amigo), and i suspect that he'd say the same to you.

Then why continue to use codeine via IV route - that'd be enough to put me off ever thinking of doing it again. Strokes can have incredibly serious consequences if they occur in say the medulla oblongata (controls essential functions like breathing). Even if it's not there, a stroke in somewhere like the motor cortex or Broca's area can leave you paralysed or without the ability to use language

If you want a fast onset without those inherent dangers, go for rectal admin of the codeine soln - it's nearly as fast as IM route, but a hell of a lot safer (no danger of clots, infections or other nasties associated with using 'the needle' (as it's referred to by Sherlock Holmes!)

Something he, and apparently you, don't seem to understand, if he really did have a stroke - it's the Internet so assume everyone is lieing all the time and you'll be a lot safer - it wasn't from the codeine itself, it was from improperly injecting himself. There are specific needles for iv, intramuscular, different needles for injection and Blood draw. If you're injecting yourself it would be in your best interest to get an iv rig. It's a needle that is attached to a hose which itself attaches to the syringe. An iv blood draw rig will have clamps and you won't find those in your local market. There are places to get them safely and legally but I'm not gonna divulge that here because like all good things the more people who know the less likely it is to remain that way.

Regardless, the benefit to thay rig is you only have to do one stick, then tape the needle. You can then swap syringes on the rig without having to remove the needle everytime. This is obviously where his problem was, multiple injections with the same needle even if only on yourself are super dangerous. Blood prolly dried in or on the needle, clotted a he injected that shit right into his vein. Or, possibly he didn't clear the bubbles and injected himself with an air bubble. When you're not trained to do this you shouldn't be doing it. But that's just a warning, I know if someone wants to they ate going to. The only thing I will say is this ; get a bottle of rubbing alcohol, attach a spray top to it and keep it handy. Always disinfect the area of insertion (your arm) and if you're doing multiple sticks wipe the needle with a sterile alcohol pad everytime. Aspirin acts as an anticoagulant, this helps if you're worried about clots but don't let blood set in the needle, flush your rig and most importantly DON'T USE TAP WATER OR BOTTELED WATER. I understand not everyone is lucky enough to have access to sterile 0.9 saline solution but if you can find it, at a local pharmacy or just sterile water use that. If all else fails then boil that shit. There are very safe ways to extract the codeine from pill form and that ridiculous CWE method is unesciscarry, time consuming and obscene.

Lastly, codeines side effects do vary somewhat, I've seen allergic reactions., severe itching and rashes, fever, flushing and rapid heart rate. It can be very unpleasant if you don't know what it can do to you. These effects persist despite whatever opiate tolerance one may or may not have. So even if you use everyday in excess of 100mg of any given opiate I suggest starting with 30-50mg of codeine, it may not get you high but it will tell you if your going to have an allergic reaction. Keep some benadryl handy.

This is one type of experience but please don't post this type of information like it's fact. What you don't realize is that even though this happened to you everyone is different. In my experience I've seen reactions more severe than what you describe and seen iv codeine patients that have very little reaction. Not everyone will experience these symptoms you've listed. It's terrible if and when you do but that's why it's suggested you start out with 30-50mg intravenously. And idk why anyone is saying intramuscular, other then the fact they don't know wtf they ate talking about. Codeine or any opiate/subclass should not be injected intramuscularly it's obscenely stupid, gets less absorption and cam cause severe abscess, infection, skin necrosis and lead to far worse things.

^ You absolutely cannot IV Codeine because of the Histamine release and the very real risk of death. I cannot stress how dangerous and stupid IVing Codeine would be. Also The fastandbulbous was one of the most intelligent posters i have seen on BL so i hardly think you have a right to call him stupid when you yourself have shown that you have no clue as to what your talking about here. The wrong syringe type causing a stroke? That's bullshit.

You can however still get ampules of Codeine meant for intramuscular injection here in Canada and it is a very safe method of ingestion for Codeine and most other opiates. I have had dozens of IM jections of Demerol and Morphine at the ER and never have i had anything happen to me. It is the preferred method of injection after all. Although Demerol does sting like a bitch.

You will only run into problems IMing opiates if you IM pills but that's another matter.That is even more dangerous then IVing pills and even with a micron filter you can't safely IM pills as it's asking for a abscess.

Also in the case of codeine, I would say that IVing it is not going to give a rush.

Codeine itself has very little mu opioid receptor affinity; it needs to be metabolised to morphine by liver cells. So even if IVed, one would still need to wait for his/her liver to convert the codeine to morphine. Compare this to IVing morphine, where the entire dose enters the bloodstream in less than 10 seconds. The liver will take a lot longer to produce this volume of morphine, and will also release it gradually.

Also taking codeine orally will mean it goes directly through to the liver via the hepatic portal vein. So I would actually say just eating codeine is the best ROA.

If I've shot codeine before or not, I cannot recall (of all the things I've done, it is likely I have, and forgot the exact experience; knowing full well the dangers though), but some years ago I was living with my father out in a rural area to get clean, and found a full unused prescription bottle of his of codeine; ate the entire bottle. Wasn't a great experience, took the edge off, but my entire body flushed red from head to toe, and had extreme itching (worst was on the bottom of my feet; which became extra-sensitive and hurt to scratch but itched so much I didn't have the willpower not to try).

All in all, not a recommended experience.

I can't believe someone would be inclined to IV codeine in the first place, the drug is shit.... and yea, the drug is shit.

Like others have said, it's extremely dangerous to IV codeine as it is fatal to do something so erratic.

One gets enough of a histamine release from oral codeine, but IV? no way. I wouldn't even venture into intra-muscular, due to the fear of histamine release.

OB