• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Isnt "bad trip" just a severe panic attack, experienced during the psychedelic trip?

an overactive frontal lobe amygdala.

Which can totally happen as an indirect effect from a psychedelic trip, you can't compartmentalize pharmacology or neurotransmitter / brain function like that.

Psychosis comes from an increase in dopamine. Psychedelics act on the serotonin receptors.

Psychosis can result from dopaminergic (D2 mainly?) receptor agonism yes, but also from a reduction in grey matter or several other causes that comprimise correct interpretation of mental processes as opposed to say mistaking your own thoughts for voices or the thoughts of others.

Again, psychedelics can play a role. Drug-induced psychosis does happen even if can have nothing to do with triggered latent illness. Maybe sensitivity to it though.

It would be possible to have a bad trip from a panic attack of stimulants, but you will not have a bad trip on psychs with a panic attack.

I am reminded of Art Linkletter. When his daughter committed suicide. A bad trip is when the effects express themselves in ways that your coping skills cannot handle.

It is possible to give someone a bad trip. The most basic way is to have them confront things that are difficult subjects normally while under the influence of looking at things in new ways. Trust me I've known plenty of bored chicks or junkies who love acid and shit.

A bad trip is technically not being able to integrate what you are experiencing into normal thought processes.

Being really scared once probably won't make someone kill themselves, but an existential crisis a year later may.

If you took too much, you overdosed. That's not a bad trip.

I am contradicting myself.

Honestly, the way you are describing a bad trip sounds analgous to getting tattoos or young girls cutting. Eh. :)

Yeah I don't think all bad trips are panic attacks but there can often be a fair overlap in dynamics. By all means it's not a typical panic attack but I don't believe normal panic attacks happen spontaneously either, they are usually triggered if only by a minor fear rampantly spiralling out of control.
Sure some people may have a disorder that basically has their adrenaline raging etc putting them right on the brink of panic attacks virtually all the time. But such disorders are not equivalent to panic attacks.

I don't normally like the term bad trip especially when describing a trip that is mainly just difficult but not so chaotic that your whole thinking is compromised. For example being confronted with your own mortality can be very difficult but not necessarily at all confusing to the extreme, like some trips are.
But when I do think the term bad trip is appropriate is when there is so much confusion rather than real issues to deal with, that it's basically all noise and side-effect rather than potentially therapeutic. And that dysfunctional part I think is very often riddled with panic and thus displays panic attack like symptoms.

i have had a bad trip where instead of panic i felt really down and unable to move and it was like being in a room frozen learned helpless with the sensation of waves of being electrocuted. my friend had the same and we just couldn't talk

i have also had panic attacks on trips. the panic attack is much more solvable. the horrendous bad trip is just awful and hard to get through. i was unable to motivate myself to do anything i felt so weak and sad and soul destroyed and physical sensations that were really unpleasant

I used to say pretty much the same, but I amended my belief a bit after having had trips that pretty much just put my nerves to a cheesegrater and involving nothing potentially therapeutic. It's a lofty idea and one that is most often true, that things like fear and difficult confrontations are ultimately bad to run away from, and very rewarding to push through. Because it's not so simple as 'fearful feelings are bad'.
But it's not so simple either that working through any trip is always therapeutic. Sometimes it's pointless suffering because something is not right physically usually. And you can't try to explain every such time as 'negative energies' than physical issues. Sometimes just having to suffer pointlessly can be harmful and cause any number of nervous issues, phobias, traumatized tendencies etc. Even that's not bad? laughable.

This constant talk with trigger words such as "bad trip" and "anxiety" surely makes people have difficult experiences. Even difficult experiences could be positive.

^Ya dawg. Take a Vet on 250 mcgs of LSD and tell em to watch apocoplyse now. You trolling?

^In retrospect clearly me. I apologize. I wasn't sober. Also, my inflection was lost via text.

What I meant to say was that I agree with you. The "classic" term "bad trip" can and should be waded through until it resolves.

My point was that jargon aside, it can be unsafe to throw terms around, because in cases like PTSD it can be dangerous to expose people to things. Meaning, they may not eventually see a light at the end of the tunnel.

:)

The fact that I was hallucinations so hard was actually causing me to panic because they wouldn't slow tf down

Human beings are light channels with an aperture like a camera. Psychedelics force the aperture open relative to the amount of substance consumed. Like water seeking it's own level, light will pour through any open channel, and do so with full force according aperture dilation. More than one is ready to handle can cause a bad trip. Psychedelics are useful tools for developing light throughput, but they must be handled with extreme care. Start with 1/4 tab. If that goes well, a week later, try 1/2 tab, and so on, until you establish comfortable psychedelic equilibrium. Smoking weed is a frequent cause of bad trips, because it greatly intensifies the trip.

Last edited:
Psychosis can cuz a bad trip
Or thought loops
25c nbome mixed with lots of weed and lots of alcohol, and crashing on methylone at the same time
gave me ptsd
Thank god for empothegens
They seam too temp fix PTSD for a few months then it comes back
It's horrible one of the worst things possible to happen
That's why sett and setting is soo serious and never trip with ppl you don't like or know well
I still use psychs but now very rarely and only by myself
I also never seam too get flashbacks on psychs even tho 25c gave me ptsd

In esscence, kind of. It's a panic attack with hallucinations (dont happen sober), and an altered state of consciencness that may make it difficult to understand that there's no danger.

It's always wise too have benzos around at all times, sometimes you never know when you'll need them

Like one time, I was just jammin music on 25n nbome and eveything was going great till
It stopped playing then, randomly I thought the entire city lost power and something bad was gonna happen like aliens of someshit
Called my gf who was out of town at the time , saying the city lost power, even tho the light in my house was on hahahah
You just never know