Is trance Dead?

I don't think trance is dead, it just depends on the scene close to your area, etc.
Lately I've been to awesome Trance parties(including Tiesto & Mauro Piccotto)....Both tore it up BAD!!!
I hope Trance does make a HUGE comeback, even though i do like prog. I think it gets a lil repetitive and sleep-inducer after a while...specially if you live in SO.FLa. where thats the only shit the play down here....
Damn, I wish there was some Techno around here...
PEace.

I think i would cry if i heard System F - out of the blue (original mix) played at a party.
Its not that old surely :D
Its my fav track of all time, hearing it on e would make me orgasm multiple times i think hehe

Dood Mark EG is def not trance..
I spin techno, and in no way will any of that shit go with trance..
Mark EG is tech-house..
Wicked hot shit too..

Out of curiosity what genre of trance would Kai Tracid - Too Many Times fall unnder??

I used to be really into trance, until I discovered the world of Drum & Bass. It just seems like their is a lot more to it. I just kinda got over it. I moved on. I just don't feel that trance offered me what I was really looking for in music--a true love!!Drum & Bass!!

Ok,
I'll be more specific, mark EG plays Tech/Trance, Hard Trance, and yes he does spin techno. But trust me I have so many tapes, and have seen him so many times where he plays the most blinding trance sets you`ll hear.
C'mon anyone from England should be able to back this up.
Mark EG is the GOD of Trance.
ludd

Hard Trance killed trance. The producers that know where it's at have all moved on, and the more melodic progressive-house is a much better genre than trance ever was. Bringing the music back into dance music. ;)

all those shity prog releases lately sure do highlight how dead prog is...
tomiie - nubreed 6
trendroid - transport 6
saeed & palash - tide edit 07
fortier - bedrock 3
cass - prologue and interpritations 3
sander k - essential mix
digweed - MMII (isn't all prog, but his kiss fm sets since have been)
hamel - balance 003
what a dying genre...
which exactly prooves my point. everyone and their mom is putting out straight prog mixes and cashing in on it. the sound has become just as saturated as the trance market was back in 2000. don't worry, you'll soon see Progressive Hits Volumes 1-55 at your local Walmart (oops, nevermind, Global Underground already covers that series...)
hopefully Lovelle's fresh interpretations will rattle the stale direction that GU has been long traveling.

i saw mara this weekend...and trust me, progressive is alive and kicking...that party had a huge turnout, and more than that, mara was tearing it UP with some sick new tracks

i didnt think i would revisit this thread again since its going around in circles anyway, everyone is entittled to their own differing opinions.
i am posting to ask sinthetic this question cos im curious having read a couple of his posts in here recently, of note, the air drawn yawner thread ;)
what is your idea of progressive?
u didnt (or werent impressed with) airdrawndagger, and the list of compilations u listed does not tickly ur fancy either.
this is my own opinion regarding these compilations:
tomiie's i would agree is pretty boring and disappointing and i would never have considered it to be "nubreed" quality.
hamel's was equally boring.
i thought trendroid's transport 6 was pretty nice (cd1), it didnt jump right into the deep prog sound; i thought cd1 had a rather dark housey feel to it.
saed n palash, was ok, though i havent heard enough of it to really decide.
fortier's bedrock was pretty much what i expected, which is not bad considering the bedrock releases so far (though br4 sucks the big one).
but out of the lot, i thought the cass, digweed and sasha compilations, while not ground breaking, did try to break away from the typical progressive sounds of today, cass' escpecially (cd1).
what i am trying to say here is, some of the compilations u've listed might indeed sound like they're cashing in on the "flavour of the month" but surly the other compilation offers some variety.
i am by no means trying to pick fault but i really do wonder what kinda progressive sounds u dig cos it seems like all the releases u've mentioned have been lumped together as "another boring ol prog mix".
and hydra, i've had the privilege of catching mara this yr and yes they sure know how to rock a party, most impressive :D

I've gotta agree w/Snrub, progressive is by definition still going strong, anything that isn't progressing just plain ain't progressive :)

ummm, sin man, did you expect satoshi, hamel or any of those other dj's to be putting out dnb compilations? or maybe techno? all of them, everyone one i listed, have been producing quality prog tracks for at least the last year (more like 2 for all except trendroid). tehy aren't exactly 'cashing in' on the sound, they have been helping pioneer it (especially satoshi). so maybe rethink your argument. ;)

what is your idea of progressive?\
i don't really have a definition for progressive. i think snrub pretty much summed up the category pretty well. what I do think, is that the majority of the "prog comps" out today are pretty formulaic. same 'big' songs, same producers, no straying from the norm.
the djs that are presently doing it for me are the ones that are fusing the many different genre's together within their sets. i think this is the new progressive sound. a sound where you'll hear classic tech beats to funky house to breaks to even dnb for good measure. sets where you look at the tracklisting and are like "what the fuck is that track and how can that possibly sound good together?"
i also really get a kick out of a dj who is able to take a track that sounds so plain and ordinary alone, yet when you hear it woven in their set, they are able to transform that same boring ass song to a whole new level. richards/burridge are masters at doing this. check out any of their tracklistings and you won't find one "major" track used. they base their sets off of the individual sounds within the tracks and let them carry the set, as compared to using the track as a whole to carry the set (if that makes sense to anyone...) it's the basis of tech-house.
well i rambled enough. i would just like to see more leading djs 'progess' us with new sound dynamics instead of relying on the same 'progressive' sound.
[ 04 September 2002: Message edited by: Sinthetik ]

if you want to start the satoshi arguement, up until a few years ago, satoshi was mainly producing and spinning straight up classic house with a diva flare, a la tenaglia. he jumped ship on that and went the classic 'progressive' route to cash in.

^
|
|
|
burridge is the fuckin man
this is funny i have an away message on my aim profile, actually the physical definition of progressive:
pro·gres·sive Pronunciation Key (pr0-grs-iv)
adj.
1. Moving forward; advancing.
2. Proceeding in steps; continuing steadily by increments: progressive change
3. The best kind of music
and there you have it, as stated by websters (except for the third, is as stated by me)
~hydra

I think the best way to determine whether YOU think trance is dead is to look at the elements that distinguish it from progressive and ask yourself if you miss those elements, or that you're glad that they're gone.
- a dominant 2/4 high hat
- a dominant 4/4 kick drum
- beatless breakdowns and dramatic drumrolls
- lush synth but monotone bassline
- melodic female vocals
- an 'epic' construction
- a euphoric mdma honeymoon tone
- 32nd beat 'events'
- 140 bpm average
And you can think about what progressive has added to the mix.
- John Creamer-esque vocals
- tribal percussion / polyrhythm
- thick basslines
- integration of sounds from different genres
- midrange synth sounds
- lots of reverb and filter
- unpredictable change-ups
- more dancefloor sensibility
- a less invasive kickdrum
- a more crunchy high hat
- 120 to 135 bpm range good for dancing or listening
- progression over the course of a series of tracks, instead in the course of a single song
- a darker, moodier, more sensual feel
Most of these have changed in the shift to progressive. Of course as the pendulum turned in the rave scene crackdown / burnout / musical mainstreaming / dot.com implosion / post sept 11 world, there was an undue rush to purge trance of its more 'cheesy' elements that has burdened us with the bane of progressive, 'boring' music. I think the pendulum is turning back towards melody. I think the uber-cool progressive nazi archetype of a dj who doesn't deviate from 126 bpm and refuses to acknowledge a melody is going to be voted out of the musical community as the weakest link. This archetype causes a lot of friction, and i'm sure there are a lot of self-styled progressive purists on the GU board who delight in seeing who can come up with the most undynamic, unwavering, boring set.
It's not a sin to play music from '98 - '00. And an epic vocal track in the middle of a percussive, dark, heavy set can really be a wonderful thing. I think trance stopped short of going over-the-top, and that it's more than salvageable. I think progressive just filled in the gaps that people were asking to be filled. I'd just as well call it Trance 2.0.
And likewise, i have found a good amount of 2001 or 2002 remixes of trance classics, and i find that they have cleaned up the above-mentioned elements in a way that is very balanced. I think that there was a good amount of quality material that was written in the Age of Trance (as well as a lot of crap, of course), and that simply upgrading the tunes by adding a thick bassline, dropping the fucking high hat, and extending an arpreggiated synth line over the breakdown, and filling in the drumroll with the bassline riff instead of a cymbal is basically all you need to do to update or translate trance for this day and age.
And that, i think, is simply a matter of trial and error, and a matter of taste. Trance lives on in progressive. It's the same person, only it's put on some more muscle and has changed its voice.
[ 07 September 2002: Message edited by: liquidocean ]

I dont see how Hard Trance killed trance
Simply gave trance another level
Look at all the forms of hardcore, and that is absolutly thrivving here in Australia

TRance has simply evolved into TechnoTrance / Progressive Trance .......... thats the simple truth . The answer for this question is found in the main "production factory" of the worlds electronic music (GERMANY & central europe) , and the wave at this moment(2001--today--?) is PROG and Techno trance .
Evolution seems to make us crave HARDER / FASTER genres of music ,,,,,,,and thats what happened to trance .
"believe in fate"

Hard-Trance is the antithesis of what trance should (and was) all about. Feeling. Emotive music. Hard-Trance (especially that German cod-sh!t) is just a nail in the coffin.