Is trance Dead?

Epic

Bluelighter
Hey Everyone,
I have been a trance fan since about 95. The reason I am writing this is that I am wondering if any other trance enthusiasts are experiencing a a real downer with this music style these days.
Years ago people were into trance. People did high quality MDMA and the music was revealed for the secret language it is. Personally I find it frustrating that people get so annoyed with the four/four trance style. They tend to give that part of the song all thier attnation paying little attention to the changes that are occuring which is where much of the artistry in trance occurs.
It seems like everyone likes Funky HOuse, hip hop,
bla bla party music.. MCing bla bla ...
Yeah I''m jaded. I 'm frustrated...
What is peoples resistance to trance? Its like they don't like it if there not on E. F#%@! dat...
if you want to roast me for my negativity fine. I'll admit I am venting a little but man the majority of people frown at big ripping club trance synths. What is up? I love the shit!
Classy riffs and synths plus orgasmic female vocals are the bomb. But man most people don't know how to relate.
Any other trance heads got tips for engaging the energy. My mixing is decent.
Also if anyone has noticed Trance use to flow with huge driving euphoric melodies.Now it prog house style with minimal layering and not much energy. What the hell has happened to trance?
Get over the fear get into the Groove.
Any comments?
Epic

People stopped eatting massive quantities of drugs and realized what it really sounded like ;)
j/k
personally it just doesn't move me. To each his own i guess...
[ 25 August 2002: Message edited by: EddiE ]

I thought the new albums by Sasha, and DJ Tiesto breathed new life into the trance world.
Not to mention Ferry Corsten - Globla Trancemissions is a dandy... :(

yeah, you could say the new sasha album has breathed a bit of life into trance i guess...
i was thinking about this question lately, and i reckon cass - mind rewind is the closest anyone's got to real mindblowing trancey shit lately

Nothing dies, people just change their tastes and music evolves.
Trance in some way or form has been around since the early 90's people will always like it, just because you dont think its as good doesnt mean someone else doesnt.
Everyone goes through phases and so does popularity of different genres, nothing dies.
If a genre died people would never play it and stop making it instantly that doesnt happen, everyone has different tastes and everyone finds genres that are new to them all the time.
Is trance dead? Nope.
I wish people didnt try and put themselves into certain categories its almost cliche that people decide after a few years to say "is this dead?" because everyone gets bored of things everyones music tastes will evolve and change depending on so many things, it doesnt mean the whole genre died.

My trance progression lessened once I sobered up and found DnB. That's not to say I'm not a trance-whore at heart. I just learned to have a greater appreciation for the intricacies of the intense genre known as drum and bass.
Reid Speed, yum.

nah it's not dead....just evolving.
It will come back around full circle in about 3-5 years....watch.
Just like a lot of the stuff that is 'in' today...is just a rebirth of a lot of the early 90's stuff...but with new production value and ideas applied...
patience

i think maybe youve taken the rising of the progressive beat to heart too much.. theres still plenty of DJs out there who throw out wailing epic anthems, but some of the flavor has been going over to more minimal (to start with anyways) progressive stuff.. but theres always people out there spinning whatever you wanna hear.
just gotta look harder maybe.. thats all. different styles of music everywhere = heaven on earth for all..

If you like trance then you like it. Who cares what the hell other people think. Have your own opinion. Don't listen to all the other gay kids.

I kinda lost the big Progressive Trance obsession.. I have focused more on Techtrance and Techno, it's just so much more fun to listen to!!
But Trance will always be my first love!!!

My friend played a monumental trance set on the weekend - blew us all to kingdom come! It's not my thing, I don't want to play it, but every once in a while, it's all good. :D

the trance as i knew it, from pvd to bt to platipus, is dead. what im hearing these days are a pale imitation. there's no dignity in the music, sounds like producers trying to squeeze blood outta stone, rehashing the same formulas over and over again.
its true that perhaps the genre is just waiting soemone to come along and revive it... james holden perhaps, he's a self-confessed trance fan... but in its current incarnation, trance is being mangled and its an insult to what i used to listen to.
what i would like to hear is some dark progressive tracks incorporating trance elements, like nash t - the dark. works very well imo :)

In the San francisco bay area, lately, we have been experiencing brake-trance..
Breaks, with a trance bass, with trance like sinth and arpeggio's...
Pretty kool shit, you really cant imagine it, until you hear it, you just go
Ohh, dope breaks, with hard trance sounds!! Yea....

I don't think it's dead, but it's no longer hte main stream.
Talking in Melb Australia of course. I think trance in it's purest form has taken a back step to Hard trance/hardNRG and hard house. It seems in these days of short attention spans the kiddies need the music to be highly dynamic and constantly changing, with cheesy lyrics.
But trance/prog trance has just taken a back step. Much like techno. It will never die out as the pureists will keep it alive.

I think that trance followed the dot.com rise and bust, and that at the threshold of mainstream coopting instead got condensed and went underground. It was pretty over-the-top for a couple years, and that trance tapped out its elements, leading to formulaic constructs. There's a wide but finite number of ways you can do a breakdown or drumroll, and i think progressive has done a good job of integrating new sounds, new ways of arranging them, and a more down-to-earth dancefloor sensibility. I think it's more flexible and open-to-experimentation genre.
Plus my gut feeling is that not as many people are rolling on MDMA every other weekend now as they were three years ago, and that the music probably reflects this in the lowered bpm's. Although it may not be as dynamic as breaks or as ass-shaking as electro, i think progressive is acting as an interesting yin to trance's yang, plus you can sometimes get away with playing it around house heads that would otherwise cringe at trance.