• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction Is there something in meth that weakens tooth enamel?

I think others have already explained this pretty well, but I'll throw my hat in the ring.

My understanding of Methamphetamine is that the drug itself does not cause tooth decay. The tooth decay seems to arise from what you would call secondary side-effects of the drug. Methamphetamine and other stimulants are notorious for causing dry mouth. Saliva is your first and best natural defense against insults to your teeth. The lack of saliva is a major contributor to the phenomenon known as "Meth Mouth".

I think to a lesser extent, grinding of the teeth adds to the problems. Also, as Methamphetamine is a powerful anorexant, people typically go without eating, sometimes for days or even weeks at a time. When the time comes to crash, the appetite will return and your body is going to demand the simplest and quickest fuel it has, sugar and carbohydrates. The desire to eat sweet foods as a result of malnutrition tends to cause Meth users to go for sugary drinks and snacks.

If you aren't brushing your teeth and staying hydrated, then eating sugary foods when you crash, the picture of why Meth Mouth happens really comes into clear focus. I'm not trying to be pompous here, but I feel that this pretty much explains it.

This. Also meth is very caustic, so if you smoke it, you are routinely exposing your whole mouth, including your teeth, to caustic smoke/vapor.

This. Also meth is very caustic, so if you smoke it, you are routinely exposing your whole mouth, including your teeth, to caustic smoke/vapor.

I think that's a really good point man. I've actually spent a lot of time pondering the caustic nature of Methamphetamine, but specifically for people I know who use it intravenously. I was alays surprised by how people were able to actually hit a vein but still experience significant pain at the injection sight and locally in the tissue. I always assumed that the veins were "weak" for lack of a true medical term at the moment, and that the Methamphetamine was causing extravasation to a small degree...

I have experienced this with Methadone as well. Some of you are familiar with my Methadone solution injection hijinks, but for those who aren't, I spent a decade rotating site, swabbing the site with Alcohol, the whole nine only to have my veins destroyed utterly by Methadone solution within the span of a week. It sucked because it wasn't immediately obvious to me, as the veins didn't actually die until several days after each injection.

Anyway, I was hitting my shots and began feeling the warmth of Opioids in my blood accompanied by a really bad stinging. I can totally see how the vapor of Methamphetamine could "stick" to the teeth and cause decay. It's interesting, as for years, people spoke about how their teeth were destroyed by Methadone and I've come to the conclusion that, maybe there is a similar action taking place. I think if you have basic oral hygien under your belt, you'd be fine, but what if you're in the group who has forsaken a lot of personal hygiene and maybe has Methadone essentially "stuck" to their teeth and gums. The solution could be contributory to dental decay possibly?

I'd love to hear the opinion of a smart person on this subject :D

I think that's a really good point man. I've actually spent a lot of time pondering the caustic nature of Methamphetamine, but specifically for people I know who use it intravenously. I was alays surprised by how people were able to actually hit a vein but still experience significant pain at the injection sight and locally in the tissue. I always assumed that the veins were "weak" for lack of a true medical term at the moment, and that the Methamphetamine was causing extravasation to a small degree...

I have experienced this with Methadone as well. Some of you are familiar with my Methadone solution injection hijinks, but for those who aren't, I spent a decade rotating site, swabbing the site with Alcohol, the whole nine only to have my veins destroyed utterly by Methadone solution within the span of a week. It sucked because it wasn't immediately obvious to me, as the veins didn't actually die until several days after each injection.

Anyway, I was hitting my shots and began feeling the warmth of Opioids in my blood accompanied by a really bad stinging. I can totally see how the vapor of Methamphetamine could "stick" to the teeth and cause decay. It's interesting, as for years, people spoke about how their teeth were destroyed by Methadone and I've come to the conclusion that, maybe there is a similar action taking place. I think if you have basic oral hygien under your belt, you'd be fine, but what if you're in the group who has forsaken a lot of personal hygiene and maybe has Methadone essentially "stuck" to their teeth and gums. The solution could be contributory to dental decay possibly?

I'd love to hear the opinion of a smart person on this subject :D
Other ingredients of METHADOSE oral concentrate: artificial cherry flavor, citric acid anhydrous, FD&C Red No 40, D&C Red No 33, methylparaben, poloxamer 407, propylene glycol, propylparaben, purified water, sodium citrate dihydrate, sucrose.

None of these have raised particular alarm bells although poloxamer 407 is used as a solvent for certain drugs administered by IV suffusion, and this article talks about its hazards

There are studies that show that "meth mouth" is much more common in IV users. I'm too lazy to try to find them right now, unless someone happens to be very interested and can't find them on google.

I'm no dentist but AFAIK it's basically something like this:
  • Enamel protects the teeth, but it's unstable in acidic media.
  • Saliva acts as a buffer and also contains some importants enzymes which help maintain an adequate and balanced environment.
  • When bacteria eat sugars they release high quantities of lactic acid. Some are much worse than others.
Meth interferes with saliva production (in more than one way) and produces bruxism (which breaks off the enamel). When you combine all of that with poor oral hygiene and a lack of nutrition (like not enough calcium) you end up making your teeth unhappy.

There are studies that show that "meth mouth" is much more common in IV users. I'm too lazy to try to find them right now, unless someone happens to be very interested and can't find them on google.

I'm no dentist but AFAIK it's basically something like this:
  • Enamel protects the teeth, but it's unstable in acidic media.
  • Saliva acts as a buffer and also contains some importants enzymes which help maintain an adequate and balanced environment.
  • When bacteria eat sugars they release high quantities of lactic acid. Some are much worse than others.
Meth interferes with saliva production (in more than one way) and produces bruxism (which breaks off the enamel). When you combine all of that with poor oral hygiene and a lack of nutrition (like not enough calcium) you end up making your teeth unhappy.

Whoa, thanks dude. I think thats really one of the more astute answers I've heard to this before. Great information 💁‍♀️

I don't know why an emoji of a Brunette with bangs waving is appropriate, but who am I to question the wisdom of Samsung?

"The emoji is not for turning"

- Adj. Prof.. Keif' Richards esq. MD., FACS, MIT, TITS

I know that meth dries up the protective saliva in the mouth thereby speeding up the process of tooth decay. However I've gotten toothaches within a day after smoking and I am not even a regular user. I'm wondering if there is something in particular about meth smoke which seems to cause such immediate harm to teeth and ways to protect and prevent it

Several things:

1) Chronic dry mouth (I'm waiting to see the oral surgeon right now due to opioids causing this)
2) Bruxism
3) There are many really caustic chemicals in meth that will literally eat away at your teeth (if you smoke it)
4) Addicts often neglect personal hygiene, including brushing their teeth

I smoked meth for 5 years it didn't affect my smile this is me now
20220710-113353.jpg