• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Is there a proper age to smoke cannabis?

markman

Greenlighter
Hello everyone,

I have quit smoking weed at the age of 18 because i feared that my brain was to young to handle cannabis. I recently have been wanting to smoke weed, but am worried about my heath was wondering if there was a proper age or a "recommended" age to smoke? Currently im 20 is that a good age to smoke? or will it effect the development or my brain?

Salutations MarkMan,

M'well i've done some LSD on top of "Marri-Wana" and find today that mixing toxic smoke statistics with biased social data doesn't help a bit.

If you need 100 % certainty just don't use it at all, but i'll also argue tobacco and alcohol don't provide a possible medicinal function at all in comparison!...

As a matter of fact the worst "harms" of all comes from those who don't use it, precisely, IMO; amoung other things public-funded propaganda could turn loving people into toxic parents, for example. Etc., etc.

Good day, have fun!! =D

To improve my quality of life, treating my anxiety, nausea, insomnia and lastly if it does work, for my muscle spasms.

Cannabis can definitely help with all that. As for the "proper age", I googled a little and it seems that we don't have the most solid research on how weed affects adolescents yet. Research we have now is muddled because of limited data about participants health and/or mental functioning, and many participants use multiple substances. If you were smoking from 16-18 or something like that, there's a chance you did some damage. At 20, I think you'll be fine.

Currently im 20 is that a good age to smoke? or will it effect the development or my brain?

It's possible.

According to recent findings, the human brain does not reach full maturity until at least the mid-20s. (See J. Giedd in References.) The specific changes that follow young adulthood are not yet well studied, but it is known that they involve increased myelination and continued adding and pruning of neurons. As a number of researchers have put it, "the rental car companies have it right." The brain isn't fully mature at 16, when we are allowed to drive, or at 18, when we are allowed to vote, or at 21, when we are allowed to drink, but closer to 25, when we are allowed to rent a car.

link

From what i've read from scientific journals, the best age is 25+

Chronic THC administration can really mess with an adolescent brain, but i guess you could smoke if you only use in moderation

Euh...

Anyone read the article about enhancement of the visual cortex in unborn babies exposed incirectly (via their mother's wound) to noble cannabic molecules?...

Just asking.

From someone been toking everday for 8-10 years n still do, if I could go back I would wait till 24 or 25, unless those other problems are outweighing the risks. Wish I didn't waste my adolescence killing brain cells & gVe my brain legit chance to grow....24 now (don't feel like it) n feel less equipped than my peers "adulting" & handling what life has to throw at me.

But I guess if other option is become an alcoholic I would say stick w/ thc lol mind altering substances are going to increase anxiety n the like in the long run. U will get relief in the moment but exacerbate future problems. Better to try now then later to deal w/ life on lifes terms.

Why so much fuss on the age where one begins using cannabis? I cannot imagine it to be damaging to any person who is reasonably grounded in reality and reasonably functional in his mental health. I should expect that cannabinoids would enrich the life of the person using, on the whole, and I know that putting numbers to things, though sometimes needed, is quite arbitrary and should be so considered.

Eh I don't know if there is an ideal age, but kids will do what kids will do, how many of us never touched a drug till we were 21? It's just part of humanity for better or worse.
OP if you wanna try pot, go try some pot, it's not harmless but it's about as close as humanity has got to a harmless recreational/medicinal drug. If you like it and it improves your life keep at it, if it does not drop it.

Eh I don't know if there is an ideal age, but kids will do what kids will do, how many of us never touched a drug till we were 21? It's just part of humanity for better or worse.
OP if you wanna try pot, go try some pot, it's not harmless but it's about as close as humanity has got to a harmless recreational/medicinal drug. If you like it and it improves your life keep at it, if it does not drop it.

That is enlightening in the simplicity of the execution of explaining the situation. We do have to remember that it is what it is.

Why so much fuss on the age where one begins using cannabis? I cannot imagine it to be damaging to any person who is reasonably grounded in reality and reasonably functional in his mental health. I should expect that cannabinoids would enrich the life of the person using, on the whole, and I know that putting numbers to things, though sometimes needed, is quite arbitrary and should be so considered.

OP already tried pot and felt it fucked his head up. The question in the OP is moreso "When does the brain stop developing so I can feel some peace of mind if I smoke again?" than it is "Hey guys, should I try smoking weed?"

For the record, though, I agree with the both of you.

+1 to everyone who actually read the OP

From someone been toking everday for 8-10 years n still do, if I could go back I would wait till 24 or 25, unless those other problems are outweighing the risks. Wish I didn't waste my adolescence killing brain cells & gVe my brain legit chance to grow....24 now (don't feel like it) n feel less equipped than my peers "adulting" & handling what life has to throw at me.

Yeah I feel the same way, we're about the same age too so i'm assuming you also started at about 15....definitely wish I waited til basically now, but I don't personally think i'm less developed...if anything I'm better at handling adult shit than my friends are but to me thats more a reflection of how my parents prepared me....

To OP though....at 20 years old, yeah your brain is still developing but with the issues you have, cannabis seems like it'd be majorly beneficial for you if used correctly. So I'd go for it, you could definitely get a Green Card too depending on your state, of course. If you live where I do though, it's easier to get a Green Card than it is to renew your driver's license, and that's really not even an exaggeration

OP stated he already quit smoking due to fear of what it might do to his still developing brain. I smoke daily don't get me wrong but the fact remains, it does stunt development. Wouldda been nice to hear from someone who wasn't a fam member n who did smoke constantly for yrs what they wish they would have done.
OP I'm not 100% sure I'm saying this becuz of pot, it could b all the non-natural chems too so bear that in mind.

Used tin foil I can't pinpoint exact age I have bad memory but 12-14 (prob more around 12 if had to pick 1) I started & @ 14-16 started to b everyday. Id b smoking 8ths of heads everyday lol not exaggerating like most ppl do....now it's like .2 - .4 of shatter if I had to guess. Try to keep it to minimum , not the person I used to be so availability n finances deff prohibit me from gettin as high as I want lol

Last edited:
Well I began smoking when I was 12 because my stepdad passed me a joint he had just rolled up. I didn't get very high either as it was my first time so I only had a hit or two. After I hit 13, I really started getting into weed.

If you're using it for a genuine medical purpose then age shouldn't matter. Recreationally, maybe 16 is a good starting age. Don't know how I'd feel if I found out my 10 year old sister was trying to smoke pot. You just need to use it and be smart about it, don't let it take over your life and get in the way of free education (for all the young Bluelighters out there.) I've been smoking almost daily since I was 13/14, and although I haven't noticed any major effects from using, I'm sure I've knocked out quite a few of my brain cells.

As for the OP - It is very helpful for anxiety, in my case at least. Personally I prefer weed over benzos because there's no horrible WD. It may improve your mental state for a little while, but don't let yourself depend on it. My psychiatrist always told me smoking would interfere with my prescriptions. Never figured out how, though.

Last edited:
OP already tried pot and felt it fucked his head up. The question in the OP is moreso "When does the brain stop developing so I can feel some peace of mind if I smoke again?" than it is "Hey guys, should I try smoking weed?"
Yeah I should of wrote "If you would like to try pot again" instead "if you would like to try pot"
I self medicate with it, and it makes somethings better and somethings worse. It's not like it was when I was a teen and it was just fun, and more pot was more fun, and no worries. Too much these days and I get even more withdrawn, anxious, and obsessive, just a little lets me work with those aspects of my personality in a more productive way. I smoke every day and this last 1/8th has lasted over two weeks. Think that has more to do with trauma than maturation though.

Hello again,

Thank you everyone for your information, I do agree that there should not be an age if marijuana is used for medical purpose, thank you for the enlightenment. I will try to get a prescription for cannabis, but I live in Montreal, Canada. I know here it's not the easiest city in Canada to get prescribed medical marijuana,, I was wondering if I am eligible to get medical marijuana. like I've said I would I have symptoms of anxiety ,nausea, insomnia and the main case for the use would be my muscle spasms/jerks. I do not have a diagnostic yet for the muscle spasm/jerks. Am I not a doctor, but they are somewhat like Myoclonic seizures except that they don't only last for a moment they can go on for up to 20 minutes. What are your thoughts would I be able to get a green card even without a diagnostic?