• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Is LSD about to return to polite society?

StoneHappyMonday

Bluelighter
Thanks for the article, interesting & positive read.

Nice pictures too of Mrs. Feilding's auto-trepanation .

Lest anyone should try that at home; the guy who ran the supply store in the art school that I attended, had drilled a hole in his own forehead in the sixties, and he was very unimpressed with the results :)
So please consider that when reaching for your (dentist's) drill lol

Somehow I don't think a woman with a self-drilled hole in her head is a good poster child for LSD. People already think LSD makes you peel your skin off, jump out of windows and think you're being chased by items of confectionery.

Somehow I don't think a woman with a self-drilled hole in her head is a good poster child for LSD. People already think LSD makes you peel your skin off, jump out of windows and think you're being chased by items of confectionery.

You could say that. Or you could say she is an Oxford-educated Countess with a blood line going back through nearly 700 years of aristocracy, which is pretty much where my country (the UK) chooses their leaders from.

She's also 72, so I'm pretty sure the term 'poster-child' isn't exactly one she covets.

Exactly. She drilled a hole into her own head.

This woman got into Oxford not because of being intelligent but because of her family, and ancestors.

Exactly. She drilled a hole into her own head.

This woman got into Oxford not because of being intelligent but because of her family, and ancestors.

Oh shit I do apologise. I never realised you had exclusive access to her exam results.

I mean, it's not like a national newspaper might bring up one silly detail from 45 years ago to try and derail an otherwise sensible approach to psychedelics from a friend of the Shulgins is it?

I bow to your greater knowledge. And your picture perfect past life. If only the press came to members of BL like yourself for poster children eh?

Several cultures chop off parts of men's penises. Many scientific studies have proven the claimed benefit is non-existent or negligible at best. So following some of your logic I should doubt the intelligence of any scientists from cultures practicing circumcision? People do funny things. Somebody could produce valid science even if I disagree with decisions they made.

Last edited:
Now I feel bad for focusing on that part of the story in my comment above, just to share an anecdote. Sorry for that.

As StoneHappyMonday says, the article's general approach is sensible, and it's just not in the nature of journalists/ the media to ignore such a sensational aspect of this woman's life.

For obvious reasons the practice of auto-trepanation has never really become mainstream, but it ís part of psychedelic folklore (look up this Bart Huges that's mentioned in the article, and the Provo movement of the sixties in Amsterdam) and this woman is far from the only one who did it.

Let's just blame it on her youthful enthusiasm, accept the fact that the public at large will shake its head at such eccentricity, and focus on the fact that this is yet another mainstream article whose conclusion is favorable towards psychedelic research.
In the end, this article is another step to victory in the phony 'war on drugs'.

Several cultures chop off parts of men's penises. Many scientific studies have proven the claimed benefit is non-existent or negligible at best. So following some of your logic I should doubt the intelligence of any scientists from cultures practicing circumcision? People do funny things. Somebody could produce valid science even if I disagree with decisions they made.

Indeed you should, as there are no benefits to male or female circumcision besides having mutilated genitals.

I was watching a documentary about psychedelics and they interviewed a guy who worked in silicon valley who said that billionaires, almost without exception, use hallucinogens.

Indeed you should, as there are no benefits to male or female circumcision besides having mutilated genitals.

There is the fact that the foreskin is the targeted tissue of HIV which makes it easier to contract without circumcision, but you're correct assuming whoever you're talking about doesn't live in a third world country plagued by aids.

Oh shit I do apologise. I never realised you had exclusive access to her exam results.

I mean, it's not like a national newspaper might bring up one silly detail from 45 years ago to try and derail an otherwise sensible approach to psychedelics from a friend of the Shulgins is it?

I bow to your greater knowledge. And your picture perfect past life. If only the press came to members of BL like yourself for poster children eh?
The guy has a point... connections count for a hell of a lot.
Besides: drilling a hole in your own skull isn't a very clever thing to do, now is it? It's a Stone Age practice that has no medical relevance. Does she also believe in the four humors?

It's great that people are discovering new things about psychedelics and presenting their findings but we really don't need quacks like this in the public eye.

I think a lot of you need to look at yourselves and see how suggestible you are. All it took was one piece of sensationalist information from a journalist to knock all you supposedly hardcore psychedelic users off the scent of the actual story.

This is how elites continue to rule and why your drugs remain banned. Well done.

Amanda Feilding is not a quack. She runs the Beckley Foundation and as such has published dozens of well received research papers on cannabis and psychedelics. She is a good and trusted friend of Anne Shulgin, Professor David Nutt and several other serious drug policy reformers.

In short, she does a bit more than post cheap digs on BL (or in national newspapers). And your contribution is?

I think a lot of you need to look at yourselves and see how suggestible you are. All it took was one piece of sensationalist information from a journalist to knock all you supposedly hardcore psychedelic users off the scent of the actual story.

This is how elites continue to rule and why your drugs remain banned. Well done.
Elites continue to rule because people like you glorify them. You say that this woman has "a blood line going back through nearly 700 years of aristocracy" as if it's indicative of anything. If anything this diminishes her credibility as once upon a time being an aristocrat made it a shitload easier to get into Oxford.

It's very hard to take anything seriously from a person who voluntarily drilled a hole in their own head. It shows that they are devoted to pseudoscience.

Thanks for the article :) It's was a good read.

Although trepaning is a quite nutty 8( The work of the Beckley foundation is awesome, and I can't wait to see what they find out with their scans of brains on LSD.

Elites continue to rule because people like you glorify them. You say that this woman has "a blood line going back through nearly 700 years of aristocracy" as if it's indicative of anything. If anything this diminishes her credibility as once upon a time being an aristocrat made it a shitload easier to get into Oxford.

It's very hard to take anything seriously from a person who voluntarily drilled a hole in their own head. It shows that they are devoted to pseudoscience.

Michael Hollingshead drilled a hole in his head and waffled on about trepanning (and seemed a bit of a dick), but many people consider he had a lot to do with spreading lsd around the world (eg he gave leary his lsd - see 'the man who turned on the world'). People are multilayered - issac newton as well as sussing out calculus and the equations of motion, was heavily into alchemy and astrology - should we have ignored all newton's equations cos of the wacky stuff? (and not to speak for SHM, but you can't know him if you think he'd stick up for elites - he was just stating where the uk tends to get its elite from - not approving of it)

What she did was stupid. It matters because it discredits her to the public. That would be brought up and she would be bashed and discredited by everybody. That's just how it goes.