• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

Is loosing "MDMA MAGIC" actually a thing?

username321

Greenlighter
Ok so ive heard that over time from using mdma so much the person looses that "magic" they used to get from when they first started to do it..so my question is this loss of "magic" from the person building a tolerance to mdma therefore not feeling the same as they used to when they started taking it which would mean if they simply took more it would solve this// or is this them simply getting used to the ""magic" they get from mdma and nothing could solve this?

It is a very real thing and your question has a very complex answer:

As my friends and I hit our 30's most of us are now 'over' MDMA. For me, it happened when I bought some amazing MDMA on whim after a year off and just felt jittery and talkative, similar to amphetamine and lots of coffee. The set and setting was right on too. I postulate that your brain matures over time and the reward mechanisms change as the 'loss in magic' seemed to occur based on age and life experience, not due to frequency of use.

I think that a lot of that 'loss of magic' is social as well. MDMA is a perfect drug for your late teens, early 20's: staying up all night, having tons of sex, mixing with other drugs, etc. are all part of MDMA's overall appeal. However, once you are older and have more responsibilities MDMA is a drug that can take a lot out of you compared to other drugs. I'm not saying that we are 30, old, and can't handle staying up. Instead, I'm saying it is much more subtle. Eventually staying up all night to try and do as much stuff as possible just isn't as fun as going home at an appropriate time. MDMA use is a really good parallel for the huge difference between being in your early 20's and your late 20's.

All that being said, whether neurological or sociological, MDMA does get old. I remember the first time I took it, I thought it was the greatest feeling that was ever created. I wondered if this was literally the greatest feeling in the world. After using it a lot though, I started realize that there are A LOT of side-effects and that the drug does really take its toll on you physically and mentally, more so than compared to single uses of most other drugs. Eventually I became less inclined to subject myself to those effects in order to achieve that particular high. In the same social situations I've switched to other drugs, but when I came back around to MDMA, I wondered what I fussed about all those years. Does it still feel good? Of course. Is it the greatest drug ever like I used to thing? Not by a long shot.

btw, I know I am not necessarily right, but I used to do a lot of mdma for a very long time with a lot of people so I trust my experience, and that's all that matters.

Last edited:
It is a very real thing and your question has a very complex answer:

As my friends and I hit our 30's most of us are now 'over' MDMA. For me, it happened when I bought some amazing MDMA on whim after a year off and just felt jittery and talkative, similar to amphetamine and lots of coffee. The set and setting was right on too. I postulate that your brain matures over time and the reward mechanisms change as the 'loss in magic' seemed to occur based on age and life experience, not due to frequency of use.

I think that a lot of that 'loss of magic' is social as well. MDMA is a perfect drug for your late teens, early 20's: staying up all night, having tons of sex, mixing with other drugs, etc. are all part of MDMA's overall appeal. However, once you are older and have more responsibilities MDMA is a drug that can take a lot out of you compared to other drugs. I'm not saying that we are 30, old, and can't handle staying up. Instead, I'm saying it is much more subtle. Eventually staying up all night to try and do as much stuff as possible just isn't as fun as going home at an appropriate time. MDMA use is a really good parallel for the huge difference between being in your early 20's and your late 20's.

All that being said, whether neurological or sociological, MDMA does get old. I remember the first time I took it, I thought it was the greatest feeling that was ever created. I wondered if this was literally the greatest feeling in the world. After using it a lot though, I started realize that there are A LOT of side-effects and that the drug does really take its toll on you physically and mentally, more so than compared to single uses of most other drugs. Eventually I became less inclined to subject myself to those effects in order to achieve that particular high. In the same social situations I've switched to other drugs, but when I came back around to MDMA, I wondered what I fussed about all those years. Does it still feel good? Of course. Is it the greatest drug ever like I used to thing? Not by a long shot.

btw, I know I am not necessarily right, but I used to do a lot of mdma for a very long time with a lot of people so I trust my experience, and that's all that matters.

Hmm, MDMA does definitely lose it's magic, but I have a very different experience to you. I only really experienced the proper 'magic' of mdma the first time I did it and even then it wasn't easy, it took a large dose. I'm much younger than you, being a student and took a break of 6 months after this first time, tried it again and I only got the jittery, speedy feeling. This happens again every time I take it. Quality is not a problem, I can assure you and I have thought that maybe it was down to dosage and ingested a rather a large amount, which caused the things associated with very high dose mdma, with only slight empathy etc. Maybe it goes much faster in some people, but it definitely goes.

I'm going to disagree with the other posters here and say, NO, MDMA will never permanetly lose it's magic. This is a rumor I believe and I see why it got started. People get old and they do the MDMA and they stop feeling the same. They might feel speedy or tweaky or just drunk, like the one poster mentioned. So, they end up maybe trying again and the same thing happens. So they give up on it. I can tell you that I had the most AMAZING roll I've ever had in my life just last week from some molly (Well it's pure MDA, but I feel lots of empathy and "body ecstasy" on it, so it may be mixed with MDMA) but yes, I've been rolling since the 90's and at points, thought I lost the magic as well.

The truth is, the magic is never gone, you just need to know how to find it again. Sometimes it might just not be there. It is a mystery still, as to exactly why, sometimes we just don't feel the magic and sometimes we do. It has to do with your body chemistry though and I can assure you that if I can have the best roll EVER, after 15 years of abusing MDMA then ANYONE can.

So, I hope from my extreme experience, this info will help clear up this rumor and that anyone can get the magic, no matter how much they abuse the drug in the past.

These are the triggers or situation regarding my BEST ROLL EVER-

I had only waited 1 week between my last roll, so no long wait was required. Infact, waiting long periods can actually REDUCE the quality of your roll. This is also a mystery to me, as to why. It seems random from person to person, and even with myself, in all my 100's of experiences, it has been random. Once I waited a LONG time between my roll and I got some MDMA confirmed, good beans. However for me, they just made me tired. NO MAGIC at all. Other times I waited and had some magic. But mostly the magic comes between this fine line, whatever this line is I don't know.

But another thing I did before this extremely magic roll, was I ate some chips and sour cream dip about 20 mins before hand. I only ate 1 and a half pills, so I didnt take a huge dose. Besides this I just sat around, didnt even have a good vibe or friends there and I still had the MOST MAGIC, INTENSE, ROLL EVER. I still can't believe it (how hard I rolled) as I've had so many (Well over 1000) experiences and this has to be at the top of the list. There was so much love and energy flowing through my body, I couldn't stop it. It was soooo pushy and I felt TOO GOOD at points, I found it hard to handle feeling that much ecstasy at once. But I didn't complain! And I'd gladly do it again! But I don't know what the heck the secret is to getting the magic EVERYTIME you roll? It seems random to me.

Piracetam may help to bring the magic back for you as well. Try it sometime, it's safe and that plays a part of the wierd body chemistry involved in all this.

So in short, the answer is "NO, Losing the Magic is not really a thing, just an experience" It doesn't have to be permanent.

If you want to know the BEST way to lose the "magic" just try rolling 4 or 5 days in a week, then do it once more after your drained. You should effectively kill almost all euphoria that the MDMA/MDA would have normally caused. So you not only lose the magic, but you lose the entire experience altogether! So, I really don't recommend what I said above, just making a point that you can lose the magic temporarily, obviously, from abusing the drug. But losing it for good is just not true. If these people kept trying, they'd get a magical roll again sooner or later. But people grow out of the drug usually, if it's not being "Magical" everytime they do it, then they have no need to do it any longer. I can understand that.

I also believe the Quality of the MDMA can make a difference, but this is not the main factor, as one could take the highest quality MDMA and still not have any magic. Some people also do NOT experience any magic their FIRST TIME EVER! So I thought I should mention this as well. I am one of those people! I did not roll my first time, even though I had the cleanest, most excellent MDMA at that time, far better than most of the crap you see now a days. I just felt speedy from it, no rolling, no magic. Did the same pill a week later and had unbelieved magic, and that was the first time I had ever rolled, even though technically it was the 2nd time I had taken the drug.

Also my girlfriend didnt feel any magic her first time either. So, again folks, it's all RANDOM!

Last edited:
Loosing the magic is tolerance build up.

can be, but surely it's not only that. i haven't had a magical roll in the last 7 years or so (during that time i dosed once every or every other year; i did never abuse btw) no matter what the dose. the effects are strong at normal doses but the euphoria is not nearly what it used to be. the feeling just is different some friends report the same thing happening to them. but looking back i'm starting to believe in what the king of beans says. i've seldomly had unexplicably non-magical rolls in the first year of taking mdma too. probably set and setting also play a part here, maybe i shouldn't do mdma at the same festival with the same people every time :)

Sorry, I do think now that the magic is actually also the feeling and experience itself...bennyZA's post itself after re-reading it I realised I totally agree.

Sure, you can lose the "magic".... that doesn't mean you can't find it again. It's not like you have your car towed just because you can't find the keys, lmao.

I have to say that of all my major party buddy's from my teens and 20's almost none of them really enjoy MDMA anymore, and we were all rolling absurd amounts. That pure euphoria that is like nothing ever experienced simply isn't worth it considering there are other drugs that cause equal amounts of pleasure that take much less of a toll on your body. On top of all that, you know what you're getting, the feeling isn't novel, and now you gotta worry about being depressed midweek amongst a plethora of other things.

I also will respectfully disagree with you Folley, to a certain extent. MDMA will never feel like it did the first few times, and that can be said with pretty much all drugs, but once you are used to MDMA the pleasure to pain ratio is skewed far more than other drugs. Coke all weekend every weekend for a month doesn't take nearly as much out of me as 1 day of heavy MDMA use let alone an entire weekend of MDMA use.

I have to say that of all my major party buddy's from my teens and 20's almost none of them really enjoy MDMA anymore, and we were all rolling absurd amounts. That pure euphoria that is like nothing ever experienced simply isn't worth it considering there are other drugs that cause equal amounts of pleasure that take much less of a toll on your body. On top of all that, you know what you're getting, the feeling isn't novel, and now you gotta worry about being depressed midweek amongst a plethora of other things.

I also will respectfully disagree with you Folley, to a certain extent. MDMA will never feel like it did the first few times, and that can be said with pretty much all drugs, but once you are used to MDMA the pleasure to pain ratio is skewed far more than other drugs. Coke all weekend every weekend for a month doesn't take nearly as much out of me as 1 day of heavy MDMA use let alone an entire weekend of MDMA use.

Everyone is different. I did roll like crazy when i was 18 for a few years. Had a brake 5 years. It was even better than first time. im 26 now btw

My first time was pretty bad tbh, i had 150 mg and i thought that would have me completely floored, but it didn't.
Since I rolled with the same product with quite the same dose, and it was fucking amazing on almost every roll.
Still not sure what happened ahah

Never? Have you tried again?

After an 8 month break followed by a 6 month break, I was rolling harder than I EVER had before. My first few rolls were with great quality MDMA too, that doesn't mean you still can't go out and have an amazing fucking time.

If you do the same thing you did for every other roll, yeah.. it's probably not going to be that fun. That's what the "magic" is, IMO. A new experience... something exciting to give you a break from the bull shit. The feeling is far from "novel" to me... I get every effect a newb would, albeit probably not as intense. MDMA doesn't really make me "depressed" unless I straight abuse the shit out of it. No, really it just makes me more susceptible to feelings of lethargy and low self confidence.

The first few days can be pretty awful, but I'm usually ready for whatever life throws at me within a day or two.

I've never found a drug that could cause the same amount of pleasure as MDMA, either. Not even MDA comes close. Psychedelics like LSD can sometimes even surpass that euphoria, but that's like a one in 50 chance.. MDMA will consistently have my eyes rolling back in complete bliss every time.

I think, if anything, some people just outgrow the need to dump their serotonin every few months. That's a good thing, really. That doesn't mean the magic isn't there anymore however... just that they aren't willing to find it.

^ your inability (or unwillingness) to see beyond your own experiences gets a little tiresome. your experiences don't automatically or necessarily map completely on to others.

telling people who've "lost the magic" (for want of a better term) that their problem is they're just not willing to find it again is poor, not to mention potentially dangerous, advice.

:\

alasdair

Well he brings up some good points. No real research has been done on "loosing the magic" imo he's right to bring up suggestions based on his own experiences. He didn't say "You roll and you like it, motherfucker!" or anything like that.

^ i don't disagree with some of what you say, in particular that "No real research has been done".

my problem is not with people sharing anecdotes and other empirical data. it's with erroneously extrapolating those data and assuming it allows them to speak with any kind of authority on the total population as a result.

i'm sure you would agree that (and i'm obviously paraphrasing): "i never lost the magic therefore you can't possibly have done so either." is problematic?

further, it's part of a pattern of which you may not necessarily be aware.

alasdair

your experiences don't automatically or necessarily map completely on to others.

I did not imply that it did..? I shared my own experience, whether or not that translates to others is an entirely personal matter.

I did say that a loss of magic for some may be because of the experience becoming too consistent, but that's obviously not going to correlate with everyone, which is why I asked him if he had tried something new recently. Long term serotonin downregulation is obviously a major factor for people that have abused the drug for long periods of time, but then again there are people trying to say they've "lost it" after 4-5 rolls.. so I guess it would entirely depend on your definition of "magic".

I guess an addendum would need to be added to my first post.

"Just because you lose the magic doesn't mean you can't find it again.. but you can't always find what you go looking for."

"i never lost the magic therefore you can't possibly have done so either."

No one has said anything even close to that. You're trying to skew my posts to fit into a pattern that doesn't exist. I will admit I could have delivered my message with a stronger base than my own personal experience but I made no claim that my experience would be the guiding principle for all of mankind. I didn't NOT say it, either... so maybe that's my fault.

Last edited:

Agree with bennyZA I'm soon going to be sliding towards 40 and MDMA just does not fit the bill anymore. 2cb however, unless I've really been hitting it still feels good. Never the same as the first time but damn close if I don't abuse it and I find come downs to be mild. Best of all I don't end up feeling a bit depressed mid-week unlike MDMA. Add to that the 2 years of MDMA abuse ending some 14 years ago causing some neurological issues and yes MDMA has "lost the magic" for me at least. I can still enjoy the very occasional dose of MDMA but being one of the VERY FEW individuals actually on MDMA in a nightclub/rave, whatever setting. To this add almost everyone else on meth or meth pills (your best hope is a chat with the few people on bk-MDMA pills and the random couple of people on MDMA, this is very true in my part of the world) and it sucks hairy dog balls.

^ but you're just saying that it's no longer worth the effort, not that you've somehow lost the ability to have a good time on MDMA. I'd definitely agree that most people would probably outgrow MDMA before other drugs, just because it really is one that is more inclined to those with no responsibilities.

I'm sure MDMA and similar amphetamine type drugs were some of the first that Shulgin gave up as he got older. It's not that he couldn't get the same effects as others, he just knew it wouldn't be worth what he would have to put his body through to get there.

^Bit of both as the "magic" of raving in the 90's and even early 2000's was everyone or nearly everyone was on MDMA. Now you don't end up talking cod shit to strangers (used to be a sore point, fake conversations but compared to meth fueled verbal diarrhea they were great) quite the opposite in most cases. There have been a few exceptions and these were people off their nut on amph and bk MDMA way too "up" but nice to talk crap with between dancing sessions looking like a loon lol. MDMA is enjoyable but not the same "amazing" quality it once had. At one point in my life MDMA was THE DRUG. Now it's like meh it's ok I guess. 5/6 apb combo is better in my opinion due to the longer half life and cheaper price vs pure MDMA.

Loads of substances can have you floored, grinning like a loon, sweating and couch locked (during the inital come up) at a club that have less of an emotional comedown than MDMA and no mid week blues with a longer subjective half life. Over all the magic fades, maybe it's just Tom Tom's syndrome but it seems to be not worth the effort vs reward or the comedown vs 4 hours of feeling pretty good (no longer feel "amazing, this is the best drug EVER!!" just feel good which is not what MDMA should be about IMO). Plus older, life, responsibilities, work, etc. it's just not the magical substance it once was.

Last edited:
He didn't say "You roll and you like it, motherfucker!" or anything like that.

^that gave me the most hilarious mental picture LMFAO

as for me, I abused the fuck out of MDMA from 18-22. im 27 now and I don't really feel the same way about MDMA as I did back then. during my late teens/early 20s I thought it was the most amazing feeling in the world. I wanted to feel like that all the time. I would stay up for days popping pills, dancing and partying but now that shit takes so much out of me. i can't imagine putting myself through that again. its fun for a few hours, but after about 4 hours im usually ready for it to end. besides good rolls were much easier to find back then. these days everyone is trying to pass off Methylone and 6-APB as MDMA (at least where i live this is a problem). finding good MDMA around here can be such a chore its almost not even worth the hassle. the whole "party scene" has changed a lot too. the whole "PLUR" concept was much more prominent and the vibe was totally different which, for me, added to the appeal of MDMA. i was always much more captivated by the lifestyle that went along with MDMA more so than the actual drug itself. i'm not necessarily saying its "lost its magic" but its just not the same as it used to be. drugs have changed, people have changed and times have changed. now i'm not necessarily saying that i think its "lost its magic" but Bob Dylan was right, the times they are a changing....and so is everything else. but who knows? i like to think that perhaps i'll be in the right place at the right time and run into the right person who just happens to have some magic pills that will remind me why its called "ecstasy". never say never, ya know?