• P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Is life mostly funny or mostly sad?

Is Life Mostly Funny or Mostly Sad

• Funny

Votes: 15 71.4%
  • Sad

Votes: 6 28.6%

• Total voters
Objectively, I don't find life emotional at all most of the time. So I guess that means neutral. Maybe I'm just apathetic.

i can find a lot of humour and good, but a great deal of what i come across just seems sad and fucked up to an extent that it's hard to even think about or take seriously. i've written this before, i feel like crying can be therapeutic and make me feel good, so i find it kind of confusing when coming across a lot of stuff like mass shootings because it makes me feel good to cry so i don't want to confuse my emotions or something, so i'm pretty numb to a lot of the bad shit i see happen in the news.. i mostly cry over stuff like how much i love a song or something and someday i'll be dead and unable to experience that again. happens to me every couple weeks at this point in my life and usually feels good. too confusing for me to cry about bad shit, crying to me is a form of appreciation for life.

Kinda black humour. Overwhelmingly meaningless and yet the most significant thing to all living creatures. Impossible but also commonplace.

Happy but
depression leads to anger. anger leads to hate. hate leads to suffering.
VtytVB8.gif

Pain and suffering doesn't discriminate, which I can spin into humor.

We can spend our lives trying to measure suffering but at the end of the day, no one signed up to be alive, and no one's living forever.

If I lost the ability to laugh at life I would be absolutely miserable.

For most people on this earth sad. Most people are not as lucky as we are in the non third world.
Most people on this planet are poor and have really no opportunity to make a better life. One that we in the first world take for granted

For most people on this earth sad. Most people are not as lucky as we are in the non third world.
Most people on this planet are poor and have really no opportunity to make a better life. One that we in the first world take for granted

If you survey the world I'd guess you're right. Especially if so many people are actively oppressed. And even if not oppressed, I'm sure what people find funny throughout the world is different and not as big a part of their life as the western world.

Western world I've been reading uses self-depreciating humor more and considers humor as a positive personality trait which seems to be unique from the rest of the world, after this article I was reading

Look at the lives of most people in India, Africa, most of Asia, South and Central America, Middle East, Eastern Europe and both parts of Russia(it is part of 2 continents). They are stuck, some look to the West for better lives but most have no opportunity for a better life.

If I lost the ability to laugh at life I would be absolutely miserable.
Agreed. And I think life itself agrees in the way that it created humor. The Buddha agrees with the upturned smile.

I was scouring a book I have by Ram Dass and Paul Gorman called "How Can I Help". Great book. It dives into life situations. It had a section where it brough up the TV show M*A*S*H*. And a notion of MASHING it. Finding humor in the worst situations. MASH was a funny show, look at the setting. But mashing it is a real thing and we all do it. A variation of that is gallows humor. My wife and I are best at that. She can joke in the worse situation. But humor is important and we all mash it at times and that is important. I pulled out the book to try and find the exact quote but have to go through it more.

A few laughs don't cure a really bad situation. They might help in rich, peaceful countries a little, depending on the minor problem.

If you survey the world I'd guess you're right. Especially if so many people are actively oppressed. And even if not oppressed, I'm sure what people find funny throughout the world is different and not as big a part of their life as the western world.

Western world I've been reading uses self-depreciating humor more and considers humor as a positive personality trait which seems to be unique from the rest of the world, after this article I was reading
Are you gen x by any chance? I find gen x peeps can usually laugh off some pretty harsh shit

Life is sad but the sadness can be handled positively with humor, regardless of your circumstances. I've been pretty poor for most of my life, and it'd be a lot harder to deal with without humor. I'd have to say it is definitely the gift that keeps on giving.

@Jennn millennial

@deficiT I think that's a great way to put what I'm trying to put down. Agreed

@Jnowhere that's a great ability. And I can absolutely relate

I have a great sense of humor and it has gotten me into fist fights, and lots of other trouble. Things I can laugh at now.
It's cool you can laugh at those situations now

Getting into fights and other trouble due to your sense of humour however suggests that other people may not find it 'great' though maybe? What kind of thing is making them react like that?

People start shit with me and I could back up my mouth. I am past that age, I rarely leave my house and someone fucks with me on my property, it will be a very short one sided debate