• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Kratom Is kratom a drug or a herb?

Is kratom a drug or a herb?

• Drug

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • Herb

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters

Shamn

Greenlighter
I don't know if I have been self-medicating with an actual drug and making me a drug user or just using a herb.

Well as far as I know there isn't a technical distinction. Pharmacologically active herbs can be considered drugs, so no one would be incorrect in calling kratom a drug.

However, there is somewhat of a folk distinction in the sense that plants like chamomile, valerian, lemon balm etc are classified as medicinal herbs. Generally these have milder effects than drugs and are not addictive or far less addictive. Kratom is a very strong herb though and essentially overlaps with the drug circle if you were going to draw a ven diagram. So I'd say it's both an herb and a drug.

Cannabis has multiple uses, you can make rope from the stalks and such. Doesn't make it any less of a drug

Like when I'm applying hemp derived cream, I don't think I'm applying a drug all over me

I only say it's an herb cause it is a botanical. I may use it as a drug but that's all me. Can't blame the poor plant for our indescretions. Just the way I see it ATM.
Guess the dea and fellas gave up on that "drug" war like the rest. Haha Maybe cause there was so much backlash idk maybe plant/herb/botanical.
Glad I still got some. Just got a kilo inda mail yesterday.
Fuck it helps a lot with the Inflammation and aches still. Seems anything I take these days have an anti inflammatory effect or side effect. No pressure no pain.
Blahblahblah

Just so we know exactly what we are talking about, we should try to define the terminology first.

Drug is, I believe a Germanic root and it originally meant "dry plant matter" with the implication beng that the dried plants are going to be used as medicine.

And that makes sense. Even Methamphetamine is semi-synthetic when you get to the brass tacks of it, being made originally from Ephedrine, itself a constituent of a shrub know as Ephedra Sinica. Crac Cocaine begins its life as a Coca Shrub. Morphine is found in the latex of the poppy and the vast majority of Opioids are created with Morphine as a starting point.

I think what OP is trying to ask, is is Kratom a drug of addiction. Is it a drug that a person can become addicted to, dependent upon and/or use compulsively.

The answer to that question is yes.

Like Morphine in Opium, Kratom's effects are moderated by the drug Mitragynine and its analogs like 7-Hydrxymitragynine etc.

Kratom is relatively new in terms of our knowledge, though it seems that Mitragynine is am Opioid agonist. I generally tell people to think of it as being along the lines of Codeine and this seems to jive pretty well.

As an Opioid, yes addiction, dependence and compulsive use can and do happen.

It us not in the same realm as stuff like Valerian, Lemon Balm, Theanine and so on.

Another interesting outlier in the world of herbs would be Kava. Kava is potent enough that alcoholics call it a reasonable substitute for Alcohol, though not as strong. Furthermore, it seems like Kava doesn't seem to cause compulsive usage for whatever reason.

Just so we know exactly what we are talking about, we should try to define the terminology first.

Drug is, I believe a Germanic root and it originally meant "dry plant matter" with the implication beng that the dried plants are going to be used as medicine.

And that makes sense. Even Methamphetamine is semi-synthetic when you get to the brass tacks of it, being made originally from Ephedrine, itself a constituent of a shrub know as Ephedra Sinica. Crac Cocaine begins its life as a Coca Shrub. Morphine is found in the latex of the poppy and the vast majority of Opioids are created with Morphine as a starting point.

I think what OP is trying to ask, is is Kratom a drug of addiction. Is it a drug that a person can become addicted to, dependent upon and/or use compulsively.

The answer to that question is yes.

Like Morphine in Opium, Kratom's effects are moderated by the drug Mitragynine and its analogs like 7-Hydrxymitragynine etc.

Kratom is relatively new in terms of our knowledge, though it seems that Mitragynine is am Opioid agonist. I generally tell people to think of it as being along the lines of Codeine and this seems to jive pretty well.

As an Opioid, yes addiction, dependence and compulsive use can and do happen.

It us not in the same realm as stuff like Valerian, Lemon Balm, Theanine and so on.

Another interesting outlier in the world of herbs would be Kava. Kava is potent enough that alcoholics call it a reasonable substitute for Alcohol, though not as strong. Furthermore, it seems like Kava doesn't seem to cause compulsive usage for whatever reason.
Oooh like poppy, they use the seeds in this delicious polish pastry loads of poppy seeds in them that I nicknamed the pastry heroin cake and my friend looked sideways at me and I was like seeds seeds 😂

A herb is a drug imo, I thought first: if it get's you high.

So that excludes Lemon Balm and Passiflora are technically just herbs, not pharmaceutical 'drugs' but they do have medical properties, many times better in terms of pro and cons. As their Pharma counterparts. But they don't get me high, not even Placebo. Drugs are or were dried herbs.

Euphoric, nutritional/ antioxidant and medical/ psychological effect's overlap in plants. Or are found in seperate herbs. Khat is a stimulant and nutricious. Psycobine Mushrooms can cure depression. Cannabis toking while building ships.

So is Kratom a drug or a herb? Both, helped me with the dentist teratement aswell as against my passive agressive exes terror.

Well as far as I know there isn't a technical distinction. Pharmacologically active herbs can be considered drugs, so no one would be incorrect in calling kratom a drug.

However, there is somewhat of a folk distinction in the sense that plants like chamomile, valerian, lemon balm etc are classified as medicinal herbs. Generally these have milder effects than drugs and are not addictive or far less addictive. Kratom is a very strong herb though and essentially overlaps with the drug circle if you were going to draw a ven diagram. So I'd say it's both an herb and a drug.
What amazes me even more is that while pharmaceutical's often have side effect's. Herb's often have benificial ones, and are often packed with other anti-oxidant's.

In general, what I discoverded during my Epilepsy espisode is that not only herbs boost the good effects of your dr's med. Reduces the side effect's, and mostly they are just plain better at it.
So is Erythravine (Mulungu) a superiour anti-convulsant compared to Diazepam/ Placebo. With no residual drowsiness and cognitive side effects.