Is Jimi Hendrix overated?

Totally, overrated. yup.

...Just listen to the overratedness

[video]https://youtu.be/Rqqaw9iN0Js?list=PLEB76C36D8EC54BE1[/video]

Personally, I think it's all a giant conspiracy.

Last edited:
^ Decided to share that gem, from my own private collection, on You Tube ;)

He is in no way overrated. He set a tone that other people followed. Great guitar player. He did his own thing.

Last edited:
At this point in my life I'd say most classic rock artists, even the ones I like, are overrated just because so much music since then has so much going on yet so many aren't willing to explore beyond the artists that are placed right in front of their faces by mainstream culture...I suppose the more experimental among those classic rock artists did help pave the way for a lot of the music id consider more interesting now, and Jimi certainly did plenty of experimenting, paving the way for lots of great psychedelic music that's come out since his time, though

a small black boy that was left handed

spacejunk said:
He happened to be left handed

oxyfen said:
yes he was a born lefty

He played guitar left-handed, he combed his hair with his left hand and threw with his left hand BUT answered the phone with his right hand, wrote with his right hand and painted with his right hand.

He was ambidextrous AND a wonderful artist and human being.

He played guitar left-handed, he combed his hair with his left hand and threw with his left hand BUT answered the phone with his right hand, wrote with his right hand and painted with his right hand.

Interesting.
I'm similarly ambidextrous, but my right-hand is dominant.
Give me a shovel or an aussie rules football and i dig and handpass like a lefty, respectively. ;)
Fishface said:
Undeniably so.

david gilmour >>>

i find lots of musicians overrated due to hype. like wu-tang isn't really that good. they're just 'wu tang'.

hendrix sounds like noise to me honestly but so did jazz for a while at first. takes time to take liking to music.

Hahahahah... David Gilmour.

Honestly I'm pretty ambivalent about Jimi Hendrix. Generally speaking I don't like a heavy blues/rock sound, so I've never really warmed up to him.

I've given two or three albums of his a listen, but it's been quite a while since then. I remember liking them alright, but clearly he wasn't my thing since I haven't returned... Though I do rather enjoy his cover of "All Along the Watchtower", to me it seems like a very classic psychedelic sound.

Hendrix is deep man. you cant replicate him. Ahead of the times he set the standard

david gilmour >>>

i find lots of musicians overrated due to hype. like wu-tang isn't really that good. they're just 'wu tang'.

hendrix sounds like noise to me honestly but so did jazz for a while at first. takes time to take liking to music.
Just Wu Tang? They are rap legends 😭

Watch what other great guitarists think of him he is a great . My top 5
Jimmy page
Hendrix
SRV
Clapton
Gary moore/Mark knopfler

Last edited:
No man...absolutely not.Clapton is great,Jimi Page ...Santana also...there are lot....but what made Jimi with his fender nobody can"t.The sound effects...etc and the way he use it-distortion,feedback....etc.Composition of melodies,lyrics.....absolute genius.One of my favorite musician...there is no other like Jimi and never will be💥🔥🏆...U know the story when Clapton saw his first arrival on scene in London...He talked himself""-no man this is imposible""

Last edited:
Every time I read word sloppy in this thread I heard a great sound in my mind. I think I know to what those who wrote, sometimes he sounded sloppy, refer but I think it's a totally wrong word or sloppiness can be gorgeous as fuck.

Don't get me wrong, I like his music, but I don't get the people that act like he was the greatest guitarist/musician of all time. I feel the same way about Led Zeppelin. I like some of their music but I don't get the fanatics. So is there something I'm missing? Maybe I'm just not the biggest classic rock fan. Is it because he was ahead of his time in some way? Thoughts...

I think he was noteworthy for his time, but hasn't aged well. Had he lived into his 30s and beyond, his style would have matured and become a lot more amazing with the passing of the decades. He had a lot of raw, unrefined talent.